• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I can't prove it.

But to claim that patents get published and mean absolutely nothing regarding this patent on blocking used games is also something you can't prove because it's baseless.

This patent to block used games was published a month before the PS4 event in February 2013. The #PS4NoDRM movement happened after Xbox One's reveal event before E3 and, at E3 Sony made videos on sharing used games to knock against Xbox One and gain positive sentiment with fans because of the DRM movement.

All a coincidence because they never, ever, ever, planned to do anything with that patent on blocking used games. They just happened to spend money on publishing a patent and without having any plans to do anything with it, they just wasted money and called it a day.
As long as they don't use it it's all good. There's no point in arguing about whether they were going to use it or not because we will never know.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
User Warned: Off-topic commentary
Why are devs of F2P games not complaining to MS about their games being forced behind the XBL paywall. To me that's a bigger issue and it will actually affect the number of people who download and play the F2P games.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Cool to see this. Calling them out is the only way to pressure them to do it. Shouldn't even be a "beta" to simply allow this.
Would be interested to know how Sony were in allowing the current cross play games.

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Gotta love how all these cross play threads now turn into "w-w-what about needing Gold to play F2P games on Xbox!" Like it's some kind of competition or people feel the need to defend Sony with this or something? Truly baffling.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Surprised but happy to see a developer publicly out them like this, how the "Beta" is still going is beyond me.

Edit: Worth noting that the game did previously have crossplay between PS4/Xbox One till I made a thread about it and Gaijin disabled it as it was a "bug". Article and my thread on it's crossplay.

Gaijin CEO told me in an interview that he was still wary of whether Sony would actually open to all games. It seems that's still the case.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Sony's infinite crossplay "beta" is so garbage.
They're doing everything they can to not allow it apart from titles they'll get bad publicity from.

Hell, a lot of people think they actually crossplay now.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its a non issue for me. I have enough players on PlayStation.
But I'm a SP guy more.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Dude, you don't patent something like that without the intent, even if it hasn't happened. That's just common sense whether or not you believe they'll do it. Like you're even letting them off with HAVING THE OPTION to begin with. That's some loyalty.

It's not like Sony was like "Oh man, Mondays right? Better patent a method to lock out used media as an option."

Seriously. That requires effort, resources and money to patent stuff. Does anyone bother to patent shit just to piss their valuable time and money away for nothing? If there was no intention of doing it at any point then why waste the resources at all?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously. That requires effort, resources and money to patent stuff. Does anyone bother to patent shit just to piss their valuable time and money away for nothing? If there was no intention of doing it at any point then why waste the resources at all?

Bwahahahahahaha!

This post makes patenting something sound as big a deal as launching a new console. Already answered above why this is a non-issue.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
What pisses me off is so many people overlook or straight up don't care about the developers in this. A lot of focus has been purely on the consumer aspect and whilst that's good, the developer aspect has fallen to the wayside somewhat and even if you don't care about crossplay as a consumer, how can you deny it to developers?

It's one thing for games like Fortnite and developers like Epic that are incredibly successful and have huge playerbases anyway. But for smaller games and smaller developers or even just less popular genres, crossplay could be the difference between whether their game lives or dies.

I can only imagine all the games that had such a short online shelf life, how much longer they could have lasted if the playerbase wasn't divided.

To have everything ready on your end just for the platform holder to say no for petty reasons must be incredibly frustrating.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see how it goes, but I think they would have a bigger chance for cross-play if the game was also on Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are devs of F2P games not complaining to MS about their games being forced behind the XBL paywall. To me that's a bigger issue and it will actually affect the number of people who download and play the F2P games.

Because it's easier to scapegoat Sony when MS is putting the pressure on them. Anyone with common sense knows it's a power play from behind for MS. They have nothing to lose. This way, they make Sony look like the bad guy and come out looking like the hero of the industry. People jump on Sony, but let's not forget that Sony has been doing crossplay with PC since the start of the gen no to mention advocated for it in the last generation when MS held the cards and they didn't want to play either. It's all a business move.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
How come? Because they're the leaders of the market, same as it was how come Microsoft last gen, it's such a stupid question with an obvious answer and it's cool that people are finally demanding it but it doesn't need to be presented in such a silly manner when everyone knows

Also, holy shit War Thunder is still alive?! How is it nowadays?
Why are posts like this justifying Sony's anti-consumer stance on this?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol @ all the sad attempts at thread derail by bringing up unrelated stuff to defend your fave company's honor.
sony, just like the other two, should allow any dev who wants to implement cross play the option to do that. there's no defending them doing that for only two big games so far while blocking other devs. whataboutism and bringing up other unrelated things other companies do doesn't excuse sony.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's easier to scapegoat Sony when MS is putting the pressure on them. Anyone with common sense knows it's a power play from behind for MS. They have nothing to lose. This way, they make Sony look like the bad guy and come out looking like the hero of the industry. People jump on Sony, but let's not forget that Sony has been doing crossplay with PC since the start of the gen no to mention advocated for it in the last generation when MS held the cards and they didn't want to play either. It's all a business move.
And Sony isn't advocating it now or much at all anymore. And we're far removed from the heads who were running the show at those times.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
There's a different thread to discuss that very issue. No need to derail.

Oct 27, 2017
And Sony isn't advocating it now or much at all anymore. And we're far removed from the heads who were running the show at those times.

My point is that Sony doesn't see a need business wise to allow full scale crossplay the same way MS didn't see the need last generation either. The reaction that everyone in this thread is having? It's exactly what MS hoped for. Sony is wary because they see MS wanting to crossplay as encroaching on their "turf" so to speak which sounds silly, until you see MS getting ready to talk about their new SDK at GDC which will be able to run on smartphones, tablets, oh and the Switch. What they plan on doing with that ability, I'm not sure, but people would have to be naive to not think that MS would love nothing more than to grab people from Nintendo and Sony and bring them to MS. That's what Sony's entire stance is based upon. Why combine our player pool if my pool is doing just fine without you?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
My point is that Sony doesn't see a need business wise to allow full scale crossplay the same way MS didn't see the need last generation either. The reaction that everyone in this thread is having? It's exactly what MS hoped for. Sony is wary because they see MS wanting to crossplay as encroaching on their "turf" so to speak which sounds silly, until you see MS getting ready to talk about their new SDK at GDC which will be able to run on smartphones, tablets, oh and the Switch. What they plan on doing with that ability, I'm not sure, but people would have to be naive to not think that MS would love nothing more than to grab people from Nintendo and Sony and bring them to MS. That's what Sony's entire stance is based upon. Why combine our player pool if my pool is doing just fine without you?
You're focusing on the wrong things. Instead of looking at the corporations point of view and what is great for their profits and bottom line. Look at what some consumers want or what developers want. Why are they wanting crossplay.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Funny to see the reverse with people (like you) trying to scapegoat MS in a thread about Sony though.
Nobody is defending MS and their F2P policy, but this is completely off-topic.

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm sorry but why does that matter? Who cares if poor Sony is being made to look like a bad guy or whatever you think is going on. The real issue is Sony blocking cross play which is of great benefit to everyone, including users who don't even care. Why should we be settling for "fine" playerbases when we could be joining them?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet Sony still has trouble allowing crossplay for other games not related to Xbox Live service. No one can seem to explain that one because it doesn't line up with anything you or others repeat. Are Paladins or Power Rangers trying to steal away a userbase to somewhere else? No, they are not.

Plenty of devs want crossplay and cross progression, Sony won't give it to them regardless of whatever conspiracy theory y'all keep coming up with.

Oct 27, 2017
You're focusing on the wrong things. Instead of looking at the corporations point of view and what is great for their profits and bottom line. Look at what some consumers want or what developers want. Why are they wanting crossplay.

Hey, I never said I was siding with the corporations. I fully understand why consumers want the initiative. At the same time, people are coming into this situation with the impression like Sony is just being a meanie head and won't share their toys with MS. This isn't a stance that Sony takes lightly.

Yet Sony still has trouble allowing crossplay for other games not related to Xbox Live service. No one can seem to explain that one because it doesn't line up with anything you or others repeat. Are Paladins or Power Rangers trying to steal away a userbase to somewhere else? No, they are not.

Plenty of devs want crossplay and cross progression, Sony won't give it to them regardless of whatever conspiracy theory y'all keep coming up with.

Lol Direct that energy at Sony homie. I'm not the one holding the keys to the ignition. Besides, I already told you why Sony won't give crossplay even if it isn't related to XBL. Sony sees no reason to open up their pool to MS when they are fine with what they have especially considering the record profits they just reported not too long ago. So you can keep throwing "conspiracy theories" or whatever you want at people in this thread, but unless something catastrophic happens to Sony's bottom line where not having full scale cross play affects it, Sony is going to keep towing the line until PS5 where they more than likely will fully integrate it.

Last edited:

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Hey, I never said I was siding with the corporations. I fully understand why consumers want the initiative. At the same time, people are coming into this situation with the impression like Sony is just being a meanie head and won't share their toys with MS. This isn't a stance that Sony takes lightly.
But that's how you come across with your conspiracy theories.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Crossplay isn't something hard to work on. You allow it with some basic policies or you don't.
I thought it was established that it isn't as easy as flipping a switch? Like when Bethesda whined about it then decided they aren't interested. I'd rather Sony take their time to perfect it than rush it out allowing every game to do it.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I thought it was established that it isn't as easy as flipping a switch? Like when Bethesda whined about it then decided they aren't interested. I'd rather Sony take their time to perfect it than rush it out allowing every game to do it.
From what I understand from several devs they are able to do so. Sony is just blocking their way. Their policies on this is confusing. Why are some devs able to but others cannot have crossplay. Baffling.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It's not as easy as flipping a switch for the dev (well, unless they've planned it from the start).
But it's pretty easy for Sony, and why players and devs are mad about that. They're only allowing select titles since a few months, and nobody knows why some are allowed and some not.

Obviously allowing crossplay doesn't mean the dev is forced to do it.

Oct 27, 2017
But that's how you come across with your conspiracy theories.

I'd rather you actually discuss the topic at hand instead of throwing "conspiracy theory" around. Nothing I said is conspiratorial. Sony doesn't want to open their playerbase to MS because they see no need while MS is putting the pressure on them for the free PR. If you think that is a such a controversial point of view, then I don't know what to tell you. I would like nothing more that to have a wider player base for a whole variety of games I play. However, until Sony changes their stance, all I can do is sit here and try to understand why.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not as easy as flipping a switch for the dev (well, unless they've planned it from the start).
But it's pretty easy for Sony, and why players and devs are mad about that. They're only allowing select titles since a few months, and nobody knows why some are allowed and some not.

Obviously allowing crossplay doesn't mean the dev is forced to do it.
It's in beta. They are allowing it with large games they can trust and learn from before allowing it for smaller games.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow, this hits all the notes in corporate apologism 101

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I'd rather you actually discuss the topic at hand instead of throwing "conspiracy theory" around. Nothing I said is conspiratorial. Sony doesn't want to open their playerbase to MS because they see no need while MS is putting the pressure on them for the free PR. If you think that is a such a controversial point of view, then I don't know what to tell you. I would like nothing more that to have a wider player base for a whole variety of games I play. However, until Sony changes their stance, all I can do is sit here and try to understand why.
MS is putting the pressure? Are they running ad campaigns about this? I'm mostly seeing this from consumers and developers.