• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So. WC3 Reforged is out and people quickly noticed it is not what was promised.

Here are some examples:

UI was changed back to almost the original WC3 UI:

np0chiqz2nd41.png

0fb78708-7f13-87b7-80ba-294dd9ca25ce

The reworked ingame cutscenes... yeah...

Supports Ultrawide, but only in windowed fullscreen for some reason.

It still is a remaster, but not really what people saw at Blizzcon 2 years ago, as the video showed.

This is a comparison how the remaster looks like compared to the original, so its still an improvement (taken from the WC3: Reforged thread):

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Yea they had said last year that their ambitions for it had been downscaled a lot.
Which is why i'll likely won't buy it anytime soon if ever

€: Looks like they didn't actually say it, but it was expected
www.resetera.com

WarCraft III: Reforged is looking a lot like WarCraft III: Remastered (confirmed no story changes, no Reforged cutscenes)

My first thought upon digging into the development updates on this game was that Activision probably slashed their budget. There's been a lot of disappointing news that emerged about this game. Starting off with the controversial retcon plans they had...

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's weird, you'd think a company with tons of resources would put more effort into this but whatever happened they had to settle for less.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
It was some time ago where it was announced Reforged was "downscaled" from the original plan. Did not help one bit it came at the same time as the Blitzchung issue.

I'm not huge into The warcraft lore or anything, but I went from day-1 to "I'll think about it" when they scaled back.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't gotten to download it, but won't bother now. Refunded the game just now and it was easier than expected.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
It was some time ago where it was announced Reforged was "downscaled" from the original plan. Did not help one bit it came at the same time as the Blitzchung issue.

I'm not huge into The warcraft lore or anything, but I went from day-1 to "I'll think about it" when they scaled back.

I didn't know about it, such a shame. It's the UI that does it for me, I was planning on buying it but now idk, I guess for online matches you won't be able to mod it out since everyone should have the same one to not get advantages.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yea they had said last year that their ambitions for it had been downscaled a lot.
Which is why i'll likely won't buy it anytime soon if ever

€: Looks like they didn't actually say it, but it was expected
www.resetera.com

WarCraft III: Reforged is looking a lot like WarCraft III: Remastered (confirmed no story changes, no Reforged cutscenes)

My first thought upon digging into the development updates on this game was that Activision probably slashed their budget. There's been a lot of disappointing news that emerged about this game. Starting off with the controversial retcon plans they had...
Yeah, they said the reason was to keep it more true to the original, but imo it's obvious that budget played a factor. Those remastered cutscenes would have cost a lot more than the barebones original ones

Oct 28, 2017
This is already being discussed in the other thread, does this warrant a new one so close to each other?

Also what? The trees do not appear to have any presence on the map, requires some Shadows/AO?

Oct 25, 2017
For years now disappointment has gone hand in hand with Blizzard but they are reaching the point where not only is their presence in the gaming industry just "disappointing" but outright insulting. The one thing, and the only thing left I could expect to be of quality from this fucking shell of a company was the production values of their games, but even a remastering of a 17, almost 18 year old RTS is too much of a fucking challenge for the company that used to be the brightest star in PC gaming.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I'm guessing they have a bunch of juniors and interns sitting on this and saw that doing cutscenes this way is a bit too elaborate, so they just cut it all and made it super basic...

This is really sad to see. The old Blizzard would've never allowed that to happen - Remember when the original Starcraft didn't show well, so they re-did everything just to show something they'd be happy with? It's always sad to see when that kinda passion is just gone from a dev studio that really cared.

brendeth

Apr 3, 2019
AUS
I was so tempted to support them too, that'll show me for expecting something good from modern Blizzard.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wow, it became flat with less details, lighting, and shadows.

Meanwhile, these recent RTS games came from much smaller studios compared to Blizzard.

Cossacks 3
ss_a3280465fe97739c5ede821cf782bc164364e3d2.jpg

Ancestor's Legacy
ss_7f1a958d78691d6e8fd7966a6448631ed6fce17f.jpg

SpellForce 3
ss_4cffdeb3cbbdbdfe87b03f79107f50eb67cc397f.jpg

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
49459111157_03af7c3bf7_o.jpg

Another big downgrade here, the foliage in the back looks quite nice though you can only get a small view of it & it's hidden by DOF, the grass now looks straight out of a PS2 game.
Amazing how they downgraded this so much, can't blame Consoles for this one.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing they have a bunch of juniors and interns sitting on this and saw that doing cutscenes this way is a bit too elaborate, so they just cut it all and made it super basic...

This is really sad to see. The old Blizzard would've never allowed that to happen - Remember when the original Starcraft didn't show well, so they re-did everything just to show something they'd be happy with? It's always sad to see when that kinda passion is just gone from a dev studio that really cared.
Sad but all probably true and the lack of passion is starting to show up (or has shown) across the majority of their catalogue this past decade so I guess this is a fitting end to it all.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
On one hand it looks more similar to the original game and less like a chinese copy, but on the other you clearly see that the final product is way less ambitious than what they showed first. It's a little sad.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WC3 was mostly fine the way it was so this isn't necessarily a bad thing, on the other hand you can see how much of an upgrade the AOE2 remaster was very recently despite not losing any of the original design choices. I still will probably pick it up, even beyond the original game which was great, some of the best tower defense games were made in the game's editor.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is so utterly insulting and disappointing.

:/

Unstable, unpolished, missing features, AND not even delivering on the story side with new cutscenes like promised.

At this price. What a fucking joke.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I mean yeah, we are not baying a full price game. For 30$ only they could have just released the same old game. With the new resolution and the texture work, we are basically stealing them. Thank you Blizzard.

/s
Buy AoEIIDE instead, that's a worthy remaster. I was hyped for this but no way am I giving them 30$ for that low effort.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
WC3 was mostly fine the way it was so this isn't necessarily a bad thing, on the other hand you can see how much of an upgrade the AOE2 remaster was very recently despite not losing any of the original design choices. I still will probably pick it up, even beyond the original game which was great, some of the best tower defense games were made in the game's editor.

The issue is that, up until a few months ago, Blizzard backpaddled a lot - especially on promises of "new mission designs", "new ingame cinematics" etc.

The fact that they didn't even choose to upgrade the UI is a huge bummer.

I was super excited for WC3 reforged, imagining it would be Warcraf 3t, enriched by a few of the learnings that happened while releasing Starcraft.
But now it's just a soulless reskin.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, it became flat with less details, lighting, and shadows.

Meanwhile, these recent RTS games came from much smaller studios compared to Blizzard.

ss_a3280465fe97739c5ede821cf782bc164364e3d2.jpg

ss_7f1a958d78691d6e8fd7966a6448631ed6fce17f.jpg

ss_4cffdeb3cbbdbdfe87b03f79107f50eb67cc397f.jpg

If Blizzard was building a game from the ground up no doubt it would look great. You aren't going to get that level of detail into a 20 year old remaster obviously.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Damn. Yeah, no point buying this now.
At least before it seemed like a controversial remake at worst.