• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 7, 2017

The drums of war thunder once again. Wacraft III: Reforged—the recreation of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne—will be available at 3 p.m. PST on January 28, 2020.

ZRODV2DX8TVL1576112092985.jpg

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
In for the custom games! Also never played through all of the campaign, so there's that too. Competitive multi is prob too stressful for me these days :p

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I am not as excited as I was initially. Maybe this will change after Blizzard releases a few more videos of the single player campaign. I am not feeling yet the graphics rework. I personally would have killed for HOTS like art work.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
From what I saw of the beta on grubbys stream it's not finished at all
Yeah, attack animations needed work particularly bloodmage . Also hero+ unit pathing looked awkward . I'm surprised this is being released early as grubby stream of reforged showed that the game still had ways to go to fully match the quality and precision of the original. I'm guessing it's going to be a process. Constant Updates

Last edited:

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I initially had a lot of interest in this, but its clear their budget got slashed just like hots and so they cut all the content I was interested. A campaign reimagined to fit current lore would be fantastic. For people only interested in pvp, have fun

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Might be best to skip this one & that's coming from a big Warcraft fan, something went horribly wrong in development & the revamped campaign was scrapped, this is just a "realistic" HD texture pack that really clashes with the outdated lighting sometimes that is designed for a more cartoony look, they made a horrible mistake not using the SC2 engine, i have no idea what they were thinking using the WC3 engine, if it was some sort of personal challenge for the team, then they failed.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
What was cut or scaled back?
And why is the internet flipping its shit about missing the 2019 release window? I'm seeing sensationalistic bullshit about blizzard breaking contracts due to pre-orders. I mean, they just emailed everyone saying they can get refunds, so all is kosher.

Oct 25, 2017
I was just about to remark earlier today that in the absence of a new patch in their usual Tuesday window, I was more certain than ever that this was getting bumped to 2020, as I had already suspected over BlizzCon weekend.

The state of the beta has been rough enough that players have been outright begging Blizzard for a delay. The colour saturation, unit visibility, and overall performance have been common points of complaint, and the Mac client hasn't been released for testing at all (Mac builds usually come late for most Blizzard betas, but still with a decent window before release). Even late January makes the schedule for this game look crunched, although it's probably the best window for it to give the new and returning community some breathing room to gain traction.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
People were initially furious about the notion of an overhauled campaign story that aligned the game better with WoW, and now that it's going to be the same as the original, people are angry about that content being cut? Man. Seriously can't please people.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, attack animations needed work particularly bloodmage . Also hero+ unit pathing looked awkward . I'm surprised this is being released early as grubby stream of reforged showed that the game still had ways to go to fully match the quality and precision of the original. I'm guessing it's going to be a process. Constant Updates

Agree about attack animations. I don't think hero or unit pathing is being touched at all as it would change competitive feel of game.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
People were initially furious about the notion of an overhauled campaign story that aligned the game better with WoW, and now that it's going to be the same as the original, people are angry about that content being cut? Man. Seriously can't please people.

their excuse for why the revamped stuff was being undone was shit, and it went from a pretty cool project to just an HD texture pack. The whole reason it wasa ways off was because of the new story camera and stuff like that but they reverted it all back to a texture pack and it's still delayed beyond its original release

I wanted the new stuff, but there is also reason why people who didn't want it are upset about the lack of actual work done. It's similar to just a cash grab, since they've done work on base Warcraft 3 for HD resolutions and stuff as just patches

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Pre-Ordered since it was announced. I will finally replay all campaigns. <3

But damn, that's only 5 days after the Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC. God have mercy on me. D:

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
the team behind this must be so understaffed or lacking resources in some way because it has turned into the biggest disappointment in my long history of loving blizzards work, the original game is my favorite title of all time with over 10k hours clocked so this really stings.

At least it'll be out and die quickly so I don't feel so bad about hyping all my friends for it a year ago.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have they improved the models? As much as I love Warcraft 3 I detest how the current models look and how un-Blizzard like. I know they were outsourced but still, I expected that the oversight would have made revisions to improve them.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Less hype than I was, but WC3 is one of my favorite games of all time. If the custom games scene thrives again, that's all I need from this.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Might be best to skip this one & that's coming from a big Warcraft fan, something went horribly wrong in development & the revamped campaign was scrapped, this is just a "realistic" HD texture pack that really clashes with the outdated lighting sometimes that is designed for a more cartoony look, they made a horrible mistake not using the SC2 engine, i have no idea what they were thinking using the WC3 engine, if it was some sort of personal challenge for the team, then they failed.

Damn. I didn't realize there was a revamped (but now scrapped) campaign in the works!

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I still can't give them money for the foreseeable future, but I was really excited for this.
Makes perfect sense. Fans aren't a monolith, so you'd have an outspoken portion in favor or against announcements of big changes.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It didn't matter, you had the option for both campaigns originally. the people complaining were just boomers still mad 15 years later that Warcraft became an MMO, though i get where they are coming from.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't give them money for the foreseeable future, but I was really excited for this.

Makes perfect sense. Fans aren't a monolith, so you'd have an outspoken portion in favor or against announcements of big changes.
I know. It's always so disappointing to not have the other side be just as vocal in applauding some decisions.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait what got changed/cut? I thought they were suppose to be doing new models, animations and cinematics? Have they just reverted to simply supporting various screen sizes and making it look slightly prettier texture-wise?

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Wait what got changed/cut? I thought they were suppose to be doing new models, animations and cinematics? Have they just reverted to simply supporting various screen sizes and making it look slightly prettier texture-wise?
Yeah I suspect most devs got pulled off smaller projects to work on D4

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It absolutely needs more time in the oven. The beta has been hit and miss for me. I've had severe fps drops. And some units are still completely unrecognizable in their current form.

And bugs. A lot of bugs.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Beta still runs like ass in the main menus and it doesn't support ultrawide displays. Really disappointed in this so far.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I was quite excited to buy this. But after the videos I have watched of the beta, and how Blizzard follows China's orders, I don't see myself buying this.