• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Player retention metric would be a interesting stat, might can DE to (finally) look at the new player experience!

They have said quite a few times that they've looked at doing the new player experience differently but that the retention rates are basically the same as they are now in Warframe, so it doesn't make sense overhauling it.

People simply need to have a concrete objective (clear the star chart), which the game doesn't give right away. Then the cinematic quests will come.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I started playing this a few weeks ago and having a tonne of fun.

Through Wiki's and videos I've gotten my head around a lot of the systems.

Up to Mastery 4 now, levelled my Excalibur, Trinity Prime (little boring without any attack abilities) and just finishing building my Rhino.

So am I right in thinking you always want to be levelling something so your mastery is going up? I know how affinity works, but in terms of the general loop. Obviously when I go from a max level frame back to a level 1 I'm suddenly a lot weaker which makes higher level missions impossible without getting back into a levelled frame. Will the power of the mods you accrue over time balance that out kind of thing? Or do most people just grind out lower level missions to earn mastery ranks and use max level stuff to do their more end game missions?

What I've liked it always feeling like I'm contributing to something, even if only playing for 15 minutes. You always earn some affinity, get some resources, whatever.

Setting little goals for myself has helped. Just finished levelling the Vectis Prime so have built a Hek for my next weapon.

Also, any recommendations for fun, interesting attack based frames to aim for after I level the Rhino?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So am I right in thinking you always want to be levelling something so your mastery is going up? I know how affinity works, but in terms of the general loop. Obviously when I go from a max level frame back to a level 1 I'm suddenly a lot weaker which makes higher level missions impossible without getting back into a levelled frame. Will the power of the mods you accrue over time balance that out kind of thing? Or do most people just grind out lower level missions to earn mastery ranks and use max level stuff to do their more end game missions?

Once you get a bit of Forma in a frame, going back to zero again isn't too much of an issue, plus you go back to your mastery level, not zero anyway, so every mastery rank gives you a little boost from a Forma'd frame.

Low(er) level void relic missions are good for leveling, and getting prime parts is a bonus.

Also, any recommendations for fun, interesting attack based frames to aim for after I level the Rhino?

Nezha, Ember or Inaros.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once you get a bit of Forma in a frame, going back to zero again isn't too much of an issue, plus you go back to your mastery level, not zero anyway, so every mastery rank gives you a little boost from a Forma'd frame.

Low(er) level void relic missions are good for leveling, and getting prime parts is a bonus.

Nezha, Ember or Inaros.
Sorry, I meant more when starting to level a new frame as opposed to resetting a frame back to level 1 with Forma.

What's that about a boost from each mastery rank though?

I guess what I'm asking is, say you're mastery rank 20. You build a brand new frame. Are you going to have to go right back to the start of the star chart to level it some before you can carry on your your regular end game activities?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I meant more when starting to level a new frame as opposed to resetting a frame back to level 1 with Forma.

I guess what I'm asking is, say you're mastery rank 20. You build a brand new frame. Are you going to have to go right back to the start of the star chart to level it some before you can carry on your your regular end game activities?
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Mastery_Rank

Higher Mastery Ranks unlock a number of benefits:
  • Increases the starting base mod capacity of unranked Warframes, companions, Archwings and weapons.
Just do some lower end nightmare missions or relics, you are getting useful resources as well that way.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Hey, so I started playing this a few weeks ago and having a tonne of fun.

Setting little goals for myself has helped. Just finished levelling the Vectis Prime so have built a Hek for my next weapon.

Yeah, leveling for mastery is the way to go. It's good that you've got goals as the beginning can be a bit directionless. Sidenote: The Vectis is amazing with the right mods (which you can't get until later), so the Hek is probably going to be your ol' faithful for the starchart if you take a liking to it. It's a great gun that can just take damage mods and be great.

Mods do make a good amount of difference, but because of mod capacity warframe levels are always important. Endgame missions (Sorties, Arbitrations, ESO) are usually done with fully kitted out warframes and weapons because of how enemy health and damage scales up. The star chart (the regular mission nodes) can be done with basically any frame so feel free to play missions and level. But to be honest, most players level on certain mission nodes to level stuff quickly. You won't have access to these nodes yet, and they kinda hurt the experience because you don't slowly learn how your warframe abilities work when you level them in 30 mins and drop them.

As for frames: I'd recommend just playign the game before trading for or buying warframes. Going through the star chart will unlock a bunch of quests for warframes, while planet bosses also drop warframe parts. Valkyr drops from the boss of Jupiter for example (she's also a fun offensive warframe).

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

You start with your mastery in capacity. So if you are mastery 20, you start with 20/30 slots. The trade off is that you have to get to level 21 to get more slots, but it allows easier forma-ing and levelling.

Like I said in my above comment (which took too long to type so I didn't see this comment lol), more experienced players tending to level in certain missions. For example Hydron on Sedna. The mission is a level 30 defense against Grineer (who give the best xp per enemy), and the tile the mission takes place is small, allowing waves to be completed quickly. Doing it with other players helps to make it faster as well as give more XP through Xp sharing (which is great for warframes and pets).

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
not really

firstly, as your mastery rank goes up your minimum mod capacity on everything increases. So when you get a brand new frame or weapon at MR 20, it starts with 20 mod capacity at base level. so you can put at least a couple good mods in at the start

second, as you keep moving through content you're more likely to have easier access to orokin catalysts and reactors, which double mod capacity (though I'd be careful about putting those on weapons if you aren't sure you like them yet)

third, you'll be deeper in the star chart which gives you access to higher-level missions where you get a lot more affinity from kills, so things level up faster

generally you'll either bring a new frame and leveled weapons, or a leveled frame and a new weapon or two, and go to a high level defense mission, where you'll stay until you've leveled the gear up enough to start using it in earnest

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Mastery_Rank

Just do some lower end nightmare missions or relics, you are getting useful resources as well that way.

Yeah, leveling for mastery is the way to go. It's good that you've got goals as the beginning can be a bit directionless. Sidenote: The Vectis is amazing with the right mods (which you can't get until later), so the Hek is probably going to be your ol' faithful for the starchart if you take a liking to it. It's a great gun that can just take damage mods and be great.

Mods do make a good amount of difference, but because of mod capacity warframe levels are always important. Endgame missions (Sorties, Arbitrations, ESO) are usually done with fully kitted out warframes and weapons because of how enemy health and damage scales up. The star chart (the regular mission nodes) can be done with basically any frame so feel free to play missions and level. But to be honest, most players level on certain mission nodes to level stuff quickly. You won't have access to these nodes yet, and they kinda hurt the experience because you don't slowly learn how your warframe abilities work when you level them in 30 mins and drop them.

As for frames: I'd recommend just playign the game before trading for or buying warframes. Going through the star chart will unlock a bunch of quests for warframes, while planet bosses also drop warframe parts. Valkyr drops from the boss of Jupiter for example (she's also a fun offensive warframe).

You start with your mastery in capacity. So if you are mastery 20, you start with 20/30 slots. The trade off is that you have to get to level 21 to get more slots, but it allows easier forma-ing and levelling.

Like I said in my above comment (which took too long to type so I didn't see this comment lol), more experienced players tending to level in certain missions. For example Hydron on Sedna. The mission is a level 30 defense against Grineer (who give the best xp per enemy), and the tile the mission takes place is small, allowing waves to be completed quickly. Doing it with other players helps to make it faster as well as give more XP through Xp sharing (which is great for warframes and pets).

not really

firstly, as your mastery rank goes up your minimum mod capacity on everything increases. So when you get a brand new frame or weapon at MR 20, it starts with 20 mod capacity at base level. so you can put at least a couple good mods in at the start

second, as you keep moving through content you're more likely to have easier access to orokin catalysts and reactors, which double mod capacity (though I'd be careful about putting those on weapons if you aren't sure you like them yet)

third, you'll be deeper in the star chart which gives you access to higher-level missions where you get a lot more affinity from kills, so things level up faster

generally you'll either bring a new frame and leveled weapons, or a leveled frame and a new weapon or two, and go to a high level defense mission, where you'll stay until you've leveled the gear up enough to start using it in earnest

Right, thanks for all the info. That makes tonnes of sense. The starting mod capacity going up with mastery rank makes sense, and now I think about it, I saw it saying that when I'd level up. Along with your base void fissure thing going up 100 +(5x mastery) or whatever it was. Didn't even think what it meant by mod capacity +1.

So yeah, as you're levelling frames later in the game, you're able to equip more powerful mods from the get go.

And yeah, the Vectis Prime has been a monster even without some of the end game mods. Especially with that 3.5x multiplier headshot when zoomed. There isn't much that I can't 1 shot for where I am in the star chart (finishing Phobos/Void T1).

Again, thanks for the info guys!

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, finally built the Battacor, and, well, I have mixed feelings about it. Aside from the effort required to really improve its damage output, the only instances where I'd see the need to use a normal rifle shot over the Opticor would be against Juggernauts (the Opticor struggles to do any damage to those things for some weird reason), and even then I'd just bring a Soma with corrosion. It doesn't help that the Battacor uses projectiles rather than hitscan for the regular burst, meaning hitting anything worth a damn at a distance is significantly harder (seriously, I am struggling to hit moving targets beyond mid-range), and the charge shot feels kinda iffy compared to the Opticor's. I really feel like I'm not dealing damage reliably at all with this thing.

Really, I think it'd work significantly better if it was a Mega Buster-style weapon - primary projectile fire good for mowing down individual weaker enemies, but with a large secondary charge shot projectile (with a high enough charge time that using it outside of its intended use case(s) over the primary fire isn't practical) that rips through entire groups like a hot knife through butter or does a lot of damage to a much tougher enemy. Granted, a Mega Buster-style weapon has been something I'd dig the absolute hell out in general.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Ok thanks. But wait, really? No shield mods? Am I playing this game wrong the whole time? I mean there are frames with ~1300 shield or something, plus your sentinel can boost it up again if depleted.
Some I play without for sure like Nidus and Inaros... but every frame?

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Ok thanks. But wait, really? No shield mods? Am I playing this game wrong the whole time? I mean there are frames with ~1300 shield or something, plus your sentinel can boost it up again if depleted.
In early level play, Shields make sense because they regenerate unlike health.

Thing is, shields don't benefit from armors so higher level play results in them getting wiped easily. Things like bleed procs and toxintdamage also bypass them entirely. The only frame that has a use case for any kind of shield mod, usually (primed) vigor, is Harrow because he uses them for his abilities and can overcharge them by a huge amount.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017

It's better to use Vitality. Maybe Steel Fiber if they can benefit enough from it, maybe something like Quick Thinking for a squishy frame.

2 Defensive mods, any more and you'd be wasting your effectiveness.

There are some elemental damage from enemies that bypasses your shield completely and just hit your health.

OP
OP
Glitchesarecool
Oct 25, 2017
with mrs. glitches
There's also a bunch of mods that make health regen no problem. Medibeam for sentinels and Moas, Hunter Recovery for pets, Life Strike or Healing Return for melee weapons, Rejuvination for Warframe auras.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Shields are not great because they have no scaling or gating. You can go from max to none in a single shot at high levels. Armour makes it difficult for the same to happen with health. Plus there are damage types like toxic and slash that hurt your health even if you have shield.

Shield-gating was a thing DE was working on about a year ago, but they gave up on it. IIRC they tested a few versions internally and then decided they were too strong. So the problem has stuck around.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Shields are not great because they have no scaling or gating. You can go from max to none in a single shot at high levels. Armour makes it difficult for the same to happen with health. Plus there are damage types like toxic and slash that hurt your health even if you have shield.

Shield-gating was a thing DE was working on about a year ago, but they gave up on it. IIRC they tested a few versions internally and then decided they were too strong. So the problem has stuck around.
Whoa, no scaling on shield damage? I had no idea. So is there any particular reason I shouldn't always prioritize armour mods over shields?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
If anyone is wondering how nuts Pax Seeker was and why it just got nerfed, Quiette Shy had a great video on it:

I'm not one to complain...but why is something like this even in the game like it was? There was no way that wasn't getting nerfed.

Whoa, no scaling on shield damage? I had no idea. So is there any particular reason I shouldn't always prioritize armour mods over shields?

Some frames have shields as their gimmick (Harrow basically using shields as part of fueling his buffs).
Others have very low base armor so adding armor mods would end up having you waste slots that would just be better used for other things since they would just end up with a value roughly around the average warframes base starting armor values anyway.

Last edited:

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
My mind is being blown right now. I've been playing this on and off for 5 years and still put shield mods on some of my frames. Damn.

Guess I should get Vitality past 320% finally, but damn is it expensive.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone on PC willing to help me kill Vay Hek at Oro on earth? For some reason he's the only boss I never see groups to join for, and I need to kill him for the Sedna junction on Pluto. When I tried to solo him I just eventually ran out of ammo because his stupid face seems pretty tanky. It kinda sucked.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
My mind is being blown right now. I've been playing this on and off for 5 years and still put shield mods on some of my frames. Damn.

Guess I should get Vitality past 320% finally, but damn is it expensive.
Heh, yep. Farmed some Endo and treasures and I also finally got Vitaly to max.
It's like nothing changed without shields, other than I can equip other mods now that help me otherwise. Like damage resistance for certain missions.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Heh, yep. Farmed some Endo and treasures and I also finally got Vitaly to max.
It's like nothing changed without shields, other than I can equip other mods now that help me otherwise. Like damage resistance for certain missions.
Welcome to Warframe, the game where everything's made up and the shields don't matter!

Alternatively: Friendship ended with redirection, Vitality is my new best friend.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
In early level play, Shields make sense because they regenerate unlike health.

Thing is, shields don't benefit from armors so higher level play results in them getting wiped easily. Things like bleed procs and toxintdamage also bypass them entirely. The only frame that has a use case for any kind of shield mod, usually (primed) vigor, is Harrow because he uses them for his abilities and can overcharge them by a huge amount.
I tend to use shields on Zephyr because Turbulence literally bends bullets away from you so you hardly ever get hit.

Also because Zephyr's base armor is only 15.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly one the enemies' level gets above a certain point it feels like health doesn't matter either and surviving starts to revolve around abusing stealth or invincibility powers or just things that prevent the enemies from attacking in the first place.

Ennsa

Oct 25, 2017
About to build my first kitgun.

I already have an idea for what I want to build for with catchmoon and tombfinger, but any suggestions on how should I build gaze?

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Now I know the true reason Mag is not meta even with her rework, her skins are trash literally the same body at least the Pneuma skin is sick as hell and platinium.

Also the new Sydana is literally a lantern and I kinda want it but cash only...
I don't know, I think my Mag looks nice. :(

u4Od2op.jpg

My least favourite is the Pneuma skin.

OP
OP
Glitchesarecool
Oct 25, 2017
with mrs. glitches
I already have an idea for what I want to build for with catchmoon and tombfinger, but any suggestions on how should I build gaze?

I would use Lovetap for a nice middle of the road approach with damage and range, and Splat. Due to the ramp up effect of beams in Warframe, a higher mag capacity is generally better to have.

unknown.png

You could also do Ramble and not lose too much while picking up a range of 37m.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Been hopping in on and off since Warframe released, but I think it really stuck this time. Having a ton of fun, on Ceres and building my Rhino now.

Is there a clan on Xbone or a discord or anything?

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Just hit MR 26. I want to thank the new login rewards that gave me 4 affinity boosters in a week. If only you'd applied to the k-drive as well it would have been perfect.

Now I can focus on making a good moa and kitgun(s) :)

Ennsa

Oct 25, 2017
I would use Lovetap for a nice middle of the road approach with damage and range, and Splat. Due to the ramp up effect of beams in Warframe, a higher mag capacity is generally better to have.

unknown.png

You could also do Ramble and not lose too much while picking up a range of 37m.
Thanks a bunch. I'll probably use Ramble because of much that added range means to me.

av1230

Jan 22, 2018
Hello, may I join the ResetEra clan please?

username: av1230

I'm pretty new but love this game so far (70 hours in the past two weeks).. I have a 30 trinity prime, 30 exc, and a 30 rhino with a hek.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I finally started to do Nightmare missions and boy... they are hard. Not all o f them but the damage you take is ridiculous sometimes.
Any hints/tips?