• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Played with a friend on Switch the other day through gamepass. A shame Sony hasn't found a way to make their choices on crossplay more consistent.
Thank goodness the content sharing is still there though, that would've been absolutely terrible.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Sony is still on their bullshit; shame for their users. I was hoping that Sony finally got with the program so everyone could play nice together.

In hindsight, it's obvious that allowing a few of the bigger players to have cross play was meant to quell the growing PR nightmare that was happening. And it seems it worked.

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Shame that Sony still can't get on with the rest of the industry and allow cross-play across all games.
They pick and choose the popular games to support the feature, while leaving the rest of suffer.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame that Sony still can't get on with the rest of the industry and allow cross-play across all games.
They pick and choose the popular games to support the feature, while leaving the rest of suffer.

Which is shitty because the smaller games are the ones that benefit the most from having a larger player pool across all platforms.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
God damnit Sony, why are you like this. Glad we can at least download the maps from other platforms.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sony protecting their users from other platforms means that, once again, PS4 users get the worst version of the game. Cool.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
it's so weird devs never mention trophies or achivements for added features over the switch

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Does Wargroove use an Xbox Live backend for multiplayer? Meaning it ties into achievements and gamer tags, etc?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Does Wargroove use an Xbox Live backend for multiplayer? Meaning it ties into achievements and gamer tags, etc?

No, it's simpler than that. One player hosts the game and it gives them a code. The other player inputs the code and it puts them into the game. You play asynchronous so you can make one move then close the game down and continue later or whatever. It's really elegant.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Sure, it's sad and not very friendly but I just wanted to play on my preferred platform with trophies so I'm glad this didn't completely fall by the wayside solely on the inability to play with other platforms.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
any must play multiplayer map i should try on?

it's so weird devs never mention trophies or achivements for added features over the switch
Not really much of a reason to mention something that's required for release on a platform to begin with. I get the appeal of mentioning it if it happens to be a port or remaster of a much older game as they weren't present originally, but there's close to zero charge to mention them as a feature for a game that's not quite six months old yet.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Which is shitty because the smaller games are the ones that benefit the most from having a larger player pool across all platforms.
Just bolsters my position of exclusives only on PS systems.

They have the mind share though and people aren't coming down on them so they will continue their current practices.

I hope they prove me wrong though.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
No, it's simpler than that. One player hosts the game and it gives them a code. The other player inputs the code and it puts them into the game. You play asynchronous so you can make one move then close the game down and continue later or whatever. It's really elegant.

How does it link across systems I mean? Like, do you just send someone a code in an outside application? No public lookup or anything

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How does it link across systems I mean? Like, do you just send someone a code in an outside application? No public lookup or anything

There are two ways. One way (the way I described before) is to just give your friend the code to the room you're hosting. Like I'm playing on Switch now and I can host a game and give you the code for the game here and you can punch it in on your Xbox or PC and we can play.

Or there's just traditional matchmaking where it matches you with a random person. No codes needed or anything, it just does it like any other game.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It was already ridiculous before they opened up crossplay for anybody, but it's even more ridiculous now where they gave some games crossplay and still don't allow it for others.

That doesn't makes any sense anymore.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
We really wanted it to happen, but unfortunately it won't be supported. The cross-sharing means you won't miss out on all the custom content that people have been creating and sharing over the last few months though.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Nice going Sony with the anti consumer behaviour.

At some point, crossplatform games should just skip platforms who refuses to participate into crossplay. Maybe this way, those platform holders would think again.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
We really wanted it to happen, but unfortunately it won't be supported. The cross-sharing means you won't miss out on all the custom content that people have been creating and sharing over the last few months though.
It's a shame, but we know it wasn't for a lack of trying.

I need to dip into the multiplayer scene and custom content now that I've (almost) finished the main campaign on hard/standard difficulty.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Nice going Sony with the anti consumer behaviour.

At some point, crossplatform games should just skip platforms who refuses to participate into crossplay. Maybe this way, those platform holders would think again.

I agree. Even though indie sales on the PS4 are dwarfed by PC and Switch sales, I know that every dollar counts for indie developers. Still, it would be nice to see Sony actually get backlash from devs from this. Their next-gen approach will also ignore indies because "PlayStation is too big to skip".

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Really sad to see this.

They have a great implementation and what makes Fortnite, Dauntless & Rocket League ok bit any other game not.

I really hoped that time had passed and I hope Sony get the same levels of heat that the helped the destiny 2 saves process.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing to come from this is that Sony is going to think they can get away with it more frequently. They definitely won, here. Their players, however, did not.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess Sony is still on their bullshit; shame for their users. I was hoping that Sony finally got with the program so everyone could play nice together.

In hindsight, it's obvious that allowing a few of the bigger players to have cross play was meant to quell the growing PR nightmare that was happening. And it seems it worked.

Yeah. Basically make it available for Fortnite and Rocket League and you've got something to answer with when anyone mentions it.

Juuuuust enough to make the statement "we support cross-play across a number of titles, including the biggest MP game in the world" true.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Unicorn

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
You probably can't say, but I'm really curious about their reasoning that your game can't, but other games can.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Polygon just put an article about this so I thought it would be worth a mention: https://www.polygon.com/ps4/2019/7/...-dates-cross-play-xbox-one-pc-nintendo-switch

Chucklefish stressed that PS4 players can still download any of the community-made map designs, regardless of where they originated, and upload their own maps and campaigns to be shared with other platforms as well as the PS4.

Game Informer noted that, around the time Wargroove launched in February, Chucklefish chief executive Finn Brice said on ResetEra that "We were told in no uncertain terms [by Sony] that [cross-platform play] was not going to happen." This despite being able to "literally toggle a switch and have it working," he said at the time.

You can download user community maps tho! So that's a good thing. Not sure why Sony is so against cross play on certain titles.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
To force people to remain in their ecosystem, or at least that's the idea.

I mean, we have cross play now with Rocket League, Fortnite, and some other games. Call of Duty MW will be cross play at launch, and Borderlands 3 will get cross play shortly after launch. I know Bungie and Respawn are looking into cross play for Destiny and Apex Legends as well.

Meanwhile games like Wargroove and Paladins can't get crossplay.

It's weird how Sony are playing favorites: https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/12/...lopers-rocket-league-fortnite-switch-xbox-one

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
I seriously don't understand Sony's policy on cross play.

They literally have no excuse not to do it.

Can someone tell me a reason otherwise?

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Sony knows exactly what they're doing. They want playing smaller online games to be a frustrating experience off of Playstation. They're willing to make their own players have a worse experience if they can make the experience even worse for other platforms. Online fighting games, such as Dragonball Fighter Z, are currently crippled by Sony's policies.