• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines

Wargroove-e-Shop-Hero-Banner-1024x576.jpg

[Time to roll up my sleeves.]

Developed and published by
Chucklefish-Logo-Small.png

https://chucklefish.org

"Wargroove is medieval Advance Wars. It's that simple."
- Eurogamer, Wesley Yin-Poole

"Heck, it's a dog in uniform - I'm sold."
- PC Gamer, Samuel Roberts

Basic-Information.png

Release Date: February 1, 2019 on NSW, PC and XB1.
PS4 to follow soon!
Price: Just USD 19.99, EUR 16.99, GBP 15.99. What a deal!

Platforms:
Consoles-Small.png

Cross-platform play available on Day 1 across Switch, PC and Xbox One!
User-made campaigns and individual levels can also be shared across platforms

Wargroove is also an Xbox Play Anywhere title, so buying the XB1 version gets you the Windows 10 version of the app as well.
The Steam (Win32) version will have mod support, as per the devs' previous disclosures.
No cross-play for the upcoming PS4 version as per Tiy's comment in the Shawn Layden interview thread.

Purchase Links:
Nintendo eShop
Microsoft Store
Steam
PSN store link to be edited in when it goes up

Genre: Turn-Based Tactics
Physical release: None announced as of this time. But why wait for a physical release? Buy it now, you coward!
No. of Players: 1 to 4 (PVP), asynchronous multi, single screen multi, skirmish modes vs. bots also available
Port info: The Xbox One and PS4 ports were done by veteran port studio Blitworks (they did the NSW/XB1 ports of Salt & Sanctuary/Full Metal Furies, and the upcoming OlliOlli: Switch Stance)

ABout-the-Game.png

• Wargroove was designed by developers Chucklefish as an homage to Intelligent Systems' beloved Advance Wars series of turn-based strategy games. They're apparently big fans of AW, and after seeing that no modern equivalent of the same genre was available in the market, they set out to create a spiritual successor, incorporating modern enhancements and additional features while they were at it. Based on the unit types revealed so far (helpfully available on the Wargroove Wiki), AW fans should feel right at home. Chucklefish has promised us some surprises however, so it should be fun to see what upgrades they've made to the old formula in the decade (!) since Advance Wars: Days of Ruin released.

• This launch trailer summarizes the basic gameplay nicely. If you need longer samples from actual Wargroove matches, I've included several links in the Media section below.

• If you'd like to go more in-depth, Medium has a great episode of their Fire Emblem podcast (Talk FE To Me) containing an far-ranging interview with members of the WarGroove team: Talking Wargroove with Indie Developer Chucklefish Games! There's a YouTube version of the podcast, as well as a summarized text transcript if you dont have time for a 1hr 20 minute video right now; there's a lot of fascinating stuff (like the reasoning behind choosing a fantasy setting, which seems sound), as well as pictures of Chucklefish's office dog wearing a helmet, which is fantastic.

Features-and-Modes.png

• A full 33+ mission Campaign Mode playing as a variety of commanders. The total length of the cutscenes alone (pre- and post-mission, as well as occasionally in-mission) reportedly totals more than 1hr 30mins.
  • An Arcade Mode, seemingly intended to be played fighting game style. Choose a commander, and fight 5 other commanders on randomly selected PVP maps; you get a special cutscene at the end of each character's "route". Intended to help you familiarize yourself with each character.
  • Local and online Skirmish modes (with rule customization!), as well as additional co-op and competitive modes; 30+ 2-player PVP maps, 10+ 3-player PVP maps, and 6+ 4 player PVP maps. Can also be played offline vs. CPU bots, in any of the above listed configurations. Online matches can also be played asynchronously!
  • A Puzzle Mode with 25+ missions, challenging you to figure out ways to defeat the specified enemies within a single turn. Looks pretty neat.
  • A comprehensive Map Editor, which can be used to build individual maps as well as full-fledged campaigns, including the scripting tools you need for triggers and dialogue, branching paths, unlockable missions and secrets. I mean, just take a look at this shit, it's crazy! You can also freely share your creations with the WarGroove community using the game's dedicated Sharing Center. (GameXplain has an excellent breakdown, which I've posted below.)

• A Gallery where you can view unlocked images from the game, including concept art and some other things the devs are keeping under their hat for now.
  • A Codex where you can read up on WarGroove lore, game specific strategy, unit damage charts and more.
  • A Jukebox where you can enjoy the game's booming OST at your leisure.
  • Support for 10 different languages at launch: English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese!
Factions-and-Commanders.png

There are four main factions, with three commanders each (for a total of twelve).

There is a fifth "faction" with two additional secret commanders, which I will not list here in the OT as they are spoilers; they can be unlocked by making it through the campaign.

Cherrystone-Faction-Banner.png

Mercia
Mercia-Portrait.png
Mercia-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actress: Tamara Fritz
Past roles: Eudico (WarFrame: Fortuna), Female Player Voice (My Time At Portia), Kusanagi Gladiator / F. L. E. X. Silhouette (Heroes of Newerth)

"Queen Mercia is the young daughter of King Mercival II, the legendary and beloved ruler of the Cherrystone Kingdom. She is well-meaning, but inexperienced in the matters of diplomacy. Much more comfortable on the battlefield than on the throne, she hopes she can use her energetic and fearless spirit to rule the country she has now inherited, and gain the respect of those around her."
Groove: Heal Aura. When used, it heals all units in a large radius.

Emeric
Emeric-Portrait.png
Emeric-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actor: Jason Marnocha
Past roles: Megatron (Transformers: Prime Wars), Levant (Regalia: Of Men & Monarchs), Keicho Nijimura (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), Amadeus Guildenstern (Never Stop Sneakin')

"Emeric is the Cherrystone Kingdom's royal mage, and a close friend of the late King Mercival II. He now finds himself tasked with guiding the newly crowned Queen Mercia through her royal duties."
Groove: Cherrystone Defense, in which Emeric deploys a Cherrystone, providing a defensive bonus to all nearby friendly units.

Caesar
Caesar-Portrait.png
Caesar-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actor: ... woof.

"Despite being a dog, Caesar has managed to create an incredible air of authority and dignity around him, so much so that he is able to command whole armies to defend the Cherrystone Kingdom."
Groove: Inspire, which allows all adjacent units to act again this turn.

Felheim-Faction-Banner.png

Valder
Valder-Portrait.png
Valder-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actor: Sean Chiplock
Past roles: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Revali), Freedom Planet (Spade)
Also voices the Floran Tribe commanders Greenfinger Zawan and Sedge.

"Ruling necromancer of the Felheim Legion, Valder secured control of the Fell Gauntlet at a young age and with it, the power to raise the dead. Valder aims to show the world there is more to a zombie than a shambling corpse."
Groove: Raise Dead, creating an allied, full-health Soldier unit adjacent to him, which can act immediately.

Ragna
Ragna-Portrait.png
Ragna-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actress: Kimlinh Tranh
Past roles: Snip & Clip (Snipperclips), Fidget (Dust: An Elysian Tail), Ms. Fortune/Robo-Fortune (Skullgirls)

"Assembled from the remains of fallen heroes, Ragna was created by Valder to lead the Felheim armies. With a mind as fractured as her body, Ragna makes a manic game of war that feeds her compulsive need for victory."
Groove: Shield Jump, allowing her to teleport to a tile within 5 tiles and deal 5 damage to adjacent units when she lands.

Sigrid
Sigrid-Portrait.png
Sigrid-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actress: Elsie Lovelock
Past roles: Never Stop Sneakin' (theme song), Rooster Teeth's Death Battle (Tracer)
Also voices the Floran Tribe commander Nuru.

"Sigrid is a High Vampire and one of the most powerful warriors in the vast wastes of Felheim."
Groove: Vampiric Touch, which drains all health from an enemy unit and heals her.

Heavensong-Faction-Banner.png

Tenri
Tenri-Portrait.png
Tenri-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actress: Dawn M. Bennett
Past roles: Kale & Kefla (Dragon Ball Super), Frieda Reiss (Attack on Titan), Setsuna Tokage (My Hero Academia), Sister Lily (Black Clover)

"Tenri is the long reigning empress of the sprawling and mighty Heavensong Empire. Having lost her mother at a young age to the Felheim Legion, Tenri will stop at nothing to eradicate necromancy."
Groove: Tornado, which allows her to move any unit, friendly or enemy, to another location nearby.

Koji
Koji-Portrait.png
Koji-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actress: Amber Lee Connors
Past roles: Ms. Joke (My Hero Academia), Brandish (Fairy Tail), Vernal (RWBY), Nozomi (Keijo!!!!!!!)

"Koji is the son of the Empress Tenri and heir of the Heavensong Empire. A prodigy inventor, Koji spends much of his time in his workshop, tinkering and inventing things."
Groove: Sparrow Bombs. When used, two unique Sparrow Bomb units are spawned nearby, which may then immediately move up 5 spaces and then detonate, damaging nearby enemy units.

Ryota
Ryota-Portrait.png
Ryota-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actor: Aleks Le
Past roles: Alexis Doucet (Grancrest Wars), Nightmarionne (Five Nights At Freddy's - Ultimate Custom Night)

"Ryota is a man of action rather than words. In battle he's truly in his element, making him a deadly foe, and an even more valuable ally. Ryota's dedication to the Empire has seen him quickly rise up through the military ranks, now second only to the Empress herself. He lost his legs in battle but he's just as powerful with his replacement prostheses, designed by the great craftsmen of Heavensong."
Groove: Blade Dash. When used, Ryota dashes through multiple enemy units, dealing damage to them in the process.

Floran-Faction-Banner-1.png

Greenfinger Zawan
Greenfinger-Portrait.png
Greenfinger-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actor: Sean Chiplock (see Valder, above)

"Each Floran tribe has a Greenfinger, who leads the tribe and offers direction. Kind and patient, Greenfinger Zawan has spent many years among the Floran people in their jungles, and hopes for their continued survival."
Groove: Wild Growth, which creates a line of five vines which block enemy movement. The vines degrade over time at 1HP per turn, and can be attacked by enemy units without attacking themselves.

Nuru
Nuru-Portrait.png
Nuru-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actress: Elsie Lovelock (see Sigrid, above)

"Though smaller and friendlier than most Floran, looks are deceptive, and Nuru is a lethal warrior, capable to taking down far larger opponents."
Groove: Teleport Beam, which allows her to immediately beam down an active friendly unit next to her, which is paid for with Gold.

Sedge
Sedge-Portrait.png
Sedge-Battle-Sprite.png
Voice Actor: Sean Chiplock (see Valder, above)

"As a ruthless killer, Sedge takes true joy in hunting down prey and destroying opponents on the battlefield."
Groove: Sadistic Rush, which strikes a target for 35% damage. If it dies, the Groove is recharged.

There is supposedly one additional commander other than the fourteen referenced above, but the method to unlock him is presently unknown.

Media.png

Screenshots
Fog-of-War.jpg

wargroove-desertbiome01.png

Unit-Info.jpg

Extended Gameplay Videos
PC Games N (April 2018)
Eurogamer (March 2018)
The Sixth Axis (April 2018)

True Gaming Network (May 2018)

Music

This is Chucklefish's YouTube playlist showcasing the themes of all 12 commanders. Check it out!

Links.png

The WarGroove Factions Quiz!
Can't contain your hype for WarGroove? Take a fun quiz to determine which faction best suits you!

Official WarGroove Discord
Chat directly with the devs in their official discord!

WarGroove on Twitter
Keep track of the latest Wargroove news as it happens!

Buy some sweet Wargroove merch!
Care of The Yetee. Mmmmm... merch.

Wargroove OST on Bandcamp
Buy a copy of the game's digital OST, from PhoneticHero.

The Beginner's Guide
New to the Advance Wars style? Have some useful beginners guides to help get you up to speed.
USGamer
Critical Hit
Steam Community Guide for Units

This last one is written by one of the Wargroove beta testers, and breaks down the utility of various units. A must read!

Reception.png

Reviews:
Metacritic -
NSW 86
PC 79
XB1
Opencritic - 84 (based on 35 reviews)
Link

A sampling of some reviews:
IGN - 8.5
Critical Hit - 85/100
Eurogamer - No score
USGamer - 4/5 (Kat Bailey!)
Destructoid - 9/10
Metro Game Central - 8/10
The SixthAxis - 9/10
EGM - 8.5/10
RockPaperShotgun - Unscored
PC Gamer - 78/100

Pre-Release Press
Siliconera, January 2019 (interview)

Rock Paper Shotgun, October 2018 (preview)
Gamepur, April 2018 (preview, PAX East build)

Indie Game Website, October 2018 (preview)

Accolades

"Wargroove's brain-teasing tactics and impressive level editor make it the Advance Wars successor fans have been waiting for. " - IGN, Tom Marks

"Wargroove takes a classic formula and repurposes it for a more traditional swords-and-sorcery fantasy setting (with battlepups). With its large number of modes and impressive suite of creation tools, it's almost enough to fill the Advance Wars-sized hole in our heart." - Kat Bailey, USGamer

"There's a lot to love with Wargroove. I definitely have my qualms with some of the campaign mission design and plot, there is so much here to love. I can't say that it's a completely innovate entry into the genre, but I think it's safe to say that Wargroove is a title that needs to be in every turn-based strategy lover's catalog." - Destructoid, Patrick Hancock

To all: It's my first OT of any kind (whether on Era, or in the Old Country), so be gentle. I hope this serves.

Last edited:

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna be there Day-1 :) I'm only afraid that pixles will be a bit too big. They look great in smaller window but the moment I put the trailer fullscreen, ugh, hurts my eyes :(

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'll post it here too: If you buy the Xbox version, you also have a PC version. The game is a Play Anywhere title.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Congrats for the OT

Day one for sure on PC! (steam $$), and double dip on the Switch if I like it, but I'll wait a bit for a possible physical copy for the Switch.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Gonna be there Day-1 :) I'm only afraid that pixles will be a bit too big. They look great in smaller window but the moment I put the trailer fullscreen, ugh, hurts my eyes :(
Well, I'm going to solve that "problem" ("these jaggies are tearing my eyes apart") by playing it on the Switch haha. That portable mode pixel density!

Fantastic OT!
Can't wait for this game, everything looks so good!
Great work on that - this game is going to be excellent.
Congrats for the OT
Day one for sure on PC! (steam $$), and double dip on the Switch if I like it, but I'll wait a bit for a possible physical copy for the Switch.
Thanks! My first try at this OT thing, I'm shit at graphic design so I hope it's passable!

I'll post it here too: If you buy the Xbox version, you also have a PC version. The game is a Play Anywhere title.
Good catch! I knew I forgot something, I'll add it to the OT.

Last edited:

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Thanks for the OT!

Can't wait.. one of my most anticipated Switch games this year.. was still in school when I played the AW series....I miss that so much..

Will probably double ditch on Switch and Xbox Play Anywhere (I assume It'll be far easier to use the editor on PC)

Do we know if NSO is required to share/download user-made content? It'll be hilarious if this is the game that actually convinces me to sign up...

Last edited:

Huddy

Feb 11, 2018
I've been staring at the Switch icon since I was able to pre-order, the wait is proving rather hard.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe this and Dragon Marked for Death are launching one day apart. I'm so psyched for both I can't wait!

Dreyarn

Oct 28, 2017
Looks amazing, but I'm still on the fence since I was kinda bad at Advance Wars back then. Good reviews/first impressions will probably make me bite, though

johan

Oct 29, 2017
hyyyyype

I'm hoping the user created maps are gonna take off; looking forward to playing this game for a long time

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most hyped I've been for a game in a while! Can't wait to dig in!

Koji and Emeric's grooves seem right up my alley.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Bummed it won't be a midnight release though :(

So dumb that every game just doesn't release then.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Great OT, this looks beautiful, though the map is pretty basic and not very appealing to me. But this should be easy to neglect.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
Great OT, and alot of informations in there that I really need, kudos to the OP.

I love Advance War, I'll wait for the review for this game to see what people said about its the level design. By the look of it, I think it's gonna be good!

Suicune

Oct 27, 2017
Easily my most anticipated game for a long time cannot wait to get stuck in, double dipping with switch and pc version.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't say I'm much into the art now than I was a year ago, but I'm incredibly desperate for even a quality knock-off of Advance Wars so this is an easy pre-order for me.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the OT!

Can't wait.. one of my most anticipated Switch games this year.. was still in school when I played the AW series....I miss that so much..

Will probably double ditch on Switch and Xbox Play Anywhere (I assume It'll be far easier to use the editor on PC)

Do we know if SWO is required to share/download user-made content?

Nintendo Switch Online is not required for sharing and downloading content, if I recall correctly.

I've been staring at the Switch icon since I was able to pre-order, the wait is proving rather hard.
Great OT. The game's icon keeps staring at me in the face, taunting me.

I know, right? I've actually stopped using my Switch since I preloaded it because seeing the unplayable app on the home screen pissed me off haha. The wait is unbearable!

This is the most hyped I've been for a game in a while! Can't wait to dig in!

Koji and Emeric's grooves seem right up my alley.

Yeah, Koji's looks really cool. One of the devs mentioned that it's useful in 2 on 2, you can transport the bombs long distances using other CO powers to really fuck with people haha.

You know it! Sigrid is awesome!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OP. Thanks for doing it.

I am playing Valkyria Chronicles on Switch, so the one thing I don't urgently need right now is another great strategy game. Going to dive in later.

Deleted member 29354

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Excellent thread to sustain hype levels, OP! hersheyfan Do you have any particular faction you're going with to start? I"m leaning heavily toward Felheim Legion and Floran Tribes. Also, did Chucklefish say if campaign was going to be co-op in the future? Any rumblings of DLC down the road?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
God, I hope they get the balance and design right. Everything just looks so perfect and the amount of options is staggering. Nothing excites me more than this in the gaming world right now. Still undecided where to buy it though: Steam or Xbox with play anywhere? Hmm..

Beautiful OT btw with lots of informative links I'll go through later and a fitting title.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
Not exaggerating, my most anticipated game of the year. Huuuuge Advance Wars fan, and still bitter that Nintendo had left this IP to rot.
Hope the game is a success!

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Excellent thread to sustain hype levels, OP! hersheyfan Do you have any particular faction you're going with to start? I"m leaning heavily toward Felheim Legion and Floran Tribes. Also, did Chucklefish say if campaign was going to be co-op in the future? Any rumblings of DLC down the road?

Thank you! Well, I don't know about which faction I'm going to start with (or if the campaign will even let us choose to play them in any order we choose), but I took the Wargroove Quiz that Chucklefish put up and I got Heavensong... so apparently I'm going to be trolling people with Sparrow Bombs in the near future!

No details on your other questions unfortunately, but I'll deffo update the OT when I hear news.

God, I hope they get the balance and design right. Everything just looks so perfect and the amount of options is staggering. Nothing excites me more than this in the gaming world right now. Still undecided where to buy it though: Steam or Xbox with play anywhere? Hmm..

Beautiful OT btw with lots of informative links I'll go through later and a fitting title.

Cheers! I'm actually double dipping as well. I have it preordered on the Switch, but will pick up a Steam copy as well... both to support Chucklefish, and well, fuck making custom campaigns on a Switch. =P

Not exaggerating, my most anticipated game of the year. Huuuuge Advance Wars fan, and still bitter that Nintendo had left this IP to rot.
Hope the game is a success!

That's why I'm supporting them. They deserve a reward for throwing long suffering Wars fans like us a bone. It's been more than a decade since Days of Ruin. A DECADE!

TBH I pulled out my 3DS last night and started up Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon in prep of LM3 so I wouldn't have to see it :P

On my part I ran through Resident Evil 2 Remake on PC to kill time. You can't feel the wait when you're running for dear life. =P

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ace OT!

Any news if there will be a GOG or other DRM free release? Thinking of getting this for my father (last game he got into was Advanced Wars on the GBA) so not having any account setup required would be perfect.