• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 24, 2018
I haven't been able to game at all until this weekend. Mainly played Dragon Quest 11, but snuck in a little Wargroove last night. I failed 4-1 a few times last night on the brink of victory (literally one attack away multiple times when my Nuru would die), until I finally got it (with an S rank!).

I ultimately went with a pincer wagon (not) attack. I learned a valuable lesson - wagons can cheese a hit or two and act as a shield of sorts. Even after winning though, all I have to say is screw the enemy giant unit here. The movement range on that thing was horrendous and I feel that I got lucky by baiting him out with a wagon.

One of my failed attempts I had something bizarre happen - assume it was a glitch. I wasn't on/adjacent to any sort of special terrain and I had Nuru's groove ready. I had 1,200 money, but only 3 unit types showed up when I tried to use Nuru's groove. If I could have gotten a trebuchet, as I had planned, I would have won. Still no clue what happened there.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Also I'm travelling which is usually when I buy switch games and I got 20 bucks burning a hole in my pocket

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Never played advance wars or fire emblem... Is this a good place to start for strategy RPGs?
Theres no RPG elements. Each map is a contained encounter. If you enjoy strategy elements such as effectiveness charts, environmental defenses, or plotting out ways for units to engage,you may like this.

Honestly give Into the Breach a shot.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Theres no RPG elements. Each map is a contained encounter. If you enjoy strategy elements such as effectiveness charts, environmental defenses, or plotting out ways for units to engage,you may like this.

Honestly give Into the Breach a shot.
That was the other one I was thinking of. No RPG elements actually makes me more interested. If every battle completely self contained? I don't like Xcom where you can fuck up super early and screw yourself up later if you're not careful

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
That was the other one I was thinking of. No RPG elements actually makes me more interested. If every battle completely self contained? I don't like Xcom where you can fuck up super early and screw yourself up later if you're not careful

Yes, battles are completely self contained. You carry over no units or resources from map to map.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I don't get 5-2. What am I supposed to do with these dragons?

Turns out this was easy. On my first attempt, I tried to sneak a dragon around back and it got worked by a Witch. Then I was nervous that they'd swarm me with witches and ballistae but... opponent only ever builds 1 witch and literally never moves their ballistae.

Bait the Witch into an alchemist, use dragons conservatively at first outside ballista range until they can move onto first ballista themselves, focus $ on reinforcing and Healing so you don't lose momentum.

Delightfully, this map has mid-mission Barracks! One of the first times I felt momentum in a "conquer the map" scenario.

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to wait a bit, and happy to see the community so helpful to the devs, and the devs put that into action.

Biggest thing to worry about for someone getting it post-patch? There are checkpoints now? Or is the whole difficulty scaled down?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I haven't played Wargroove (dropping by the thread to see how's the reception), but Into the Breach is, without a doubt, a world class masterpiece. How good is it? Well, it got voted top 2018 strategy game of the year by Era members... with more points than every other game combined.

1. Into The Breach = 398 points, 0 honorable mentions
2. Valkyria Chronicles 4 = 145 points, 3 honorable mentions
3. Battletech = 63 points, 0 honorable mentions
4. The Banner Saga 3 = 29 points, 0 honorable mentions
5. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden = 27 points, 0 honorable mentions
6. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Donkey Kong Adventure = 19 points, 0 honorable mentions
7. Sid Meier's Civilization VI: Rise and Fall = 13 points, 0 honorable mentions
8. Kingdom: Two Crowns = 9 points, 0 honorable mentions
9. Surviving Mars = 9 points, 0 honorable mentions
10. Sid Meier's Civilization VI = 8 points, 0 honorable mentions

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I haven't played Wargroove (dropping by the thread to see how's the reception), but Into the Breach is, without a doubt, a world class masterpiece. How good is it? Well, it got voted top 2018 strategy game of the year by Era members... with more points than every other game combined.

6. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Donkey Kong Adventure = 19 points, 0 honorable mentions
I was thinking of wargroove over it so I can have some meat of a story. Into the Breach is in my eventual list to buy

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Into the Breach is a perfect video game.

Wargroove is a delight that scratches some good itches. It looks great, sounds nice, has lots of modes and support. It's got problems tho. Lots of campaign missions are slogs won on managing supply lines — you thought you were fighting a war but you're actually managing a USPS fleet of wagons carrying spear men. The AI is stone stupid in the more symmetrical arcade maps. The little chess puzzles are good, even though a lot of them are just Groove tutorials.

They both support a lot of hours of play. In Into the Breach you're developing mastery, in Wargroove you're grinding through content.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I was thinking of wargroove over it so I can have some meat of a story. Into the Breach is in my eventual list to buy

You might want to do the opposite if you intend to get both games, if for no other reason that, going from this very thread, there seems to be quite a few issues that Chucklefish are still fixing / balancing, while Into the Breach is a completely mature game right now. So you could Get ITB now, and by the time you're tired of it (if that ever happens), Wargroove will be in a better place than it is now.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Into the Breach is a perfect video game.

Wargroove is a delight that scratches some good itches. It looks great, sounds nice, has lots of modes and support. It's got problems tho. Lots of campaign missions are slogs won on managing supply lines — you thought you were fighting a war but you're actually managing a USPS fleet of wagons carrying spear men. The AI is stone stupid in the more symmetrical arcade maps. The little chess puzzles are good, even though a lot of them are just Groove tutorials.

They both support a lot of hours of play. In Into the Breach you're developing mastery, in Wargroove you're grinding through content.

Yeah, I'm quite surprised (and disappointed) with the lukewarm reception Wargroove is getting. Whereas I would marry ItB if I legally could.

Subset, who do I have to kill to get an FTL Switch port?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've just started Act 4 and am having a great time, but sometimes get my ass kicked and it takes me forever (and I get 1 star) or push too hard and lose 40 minute of progress when a commander dies, so I'll be giving myself two tries before I just drop the difficulty and plow through a mission.

Not that I mind the difficulty. It seems perfect. It's just that some of the levels with the endlessly spawning enemies from all over are tougher.

How many acts are there, btw?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The thing Into the Breach really doesn't have over Wargroove is multiplayer IMO, and that's the best part of Wargroove to me.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
The thing Into the Breach really doesn't have over Wargroove is multiplayer IMO, and that's the best part of Wargroove to me.
I'm still punching through the campaign mode and puzzle mode (and eventually arcade mode) but the multiplayer content is definitely where it'll be at overtime with Wargroove. I saw they plan to nerf Nuru which is definitely gonna be needed in the long run.

Feb 4, 2018
Nice to hear the praise for Into the Breach, it's been on my list. :)

Was going to wait a bit, and happy to see the community so helpful to the devs, and the devs put that into action.

Biggest thing to worry about for someone getting it post-patch? There are checkpoints now? Or is the whole difficulty scaled down?
There will be save points allowed during battle, but they limit you from getting an S-rank. As for the difficulty:
Following player feedback we're now adding 5x difficulty presets - Story, Easy, Medium, Hard (Default) & Custom.
Hard is the standard rules of the game and the only mode where you can obtain S-ranks.
Medium is a bit easier and allows up to 3 stars, Easy limits you to 2 stars & Story to 1 star (and is very easy indeed!)
So basically the difficulty itself isn't changing, they're just adding more presets for the difficulty sliders!

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to hear the praise for Into the Breach, it's been on my list. :)

There will be save points allowed during battle, but they limit you from getting an S-rank. As for the difficulty:

So basically the difficulty itself isn't changing, they're just adding more presets for the difficulty sliders!

Are you from the capital city of Hungary? Because UDABEST.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Just lost 2 hours of my life to that fucking third Caesar mission. There's a reason no AW games had maps where the enemy has bases and you don't, that map is bullshit.

Probably going to take a break from this game, it's a long time since a game has made me that mad :(

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Just lost 2 hours of my life to that fucking third Caesar mission. There's a reason no AW games had maps where the enemy has bases and you don't, that map is bullshit.

Probably going to take a break from this game, it's a long time since a game has made me that mad :(
Yeah. You basically have to rely on the two alchemists to heal your commander and other troops. The problem with that mission is it's too linear. There is no interesting decision-making involved. You just move your units from A to B. The top left village is obviously a trap if you want to S rank. Thankfully, the last Caesar mission makes up for it. It's the best designed map in campaign mode in my opinion.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. You basically have to rely on the two alchemists to heal your commander and other troops. The problem with that mission is it's too linear. There is no interesting decision-making involved. You just move your units from A to B. The top left village is obviously a trap if you want to S rank. Thankfully, the last Caesar mission makes up for it. It's the best designed map in campaign mode in my opinion.
I didn't think I'd be able to sleep knowing the game bested me so I went back and beat it. Yeah keeping the alchemists alive was the key, I basically never used them for combat, just for healing.

Got my first E rank but glad I finished it.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Planning to buy the game when the patch they announced comes out. Has Chucklefish said anything about the release date yet?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry y'all in the 2v2 match if it was me holding it up. Haven't been able to play for several days, but just took my turn.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

Will have to make sure to get Breach as well soon

francium87

Oct 27, 2017

I missed this vote. How did Pit People get less than 8 votes??? It's basically the only good coop SRPG.
But yes, Into the Breach is truly special. Wargrooves is good, but not god tier.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Wargroove with my kids and my littlest one's favorite commander is Valder so he decided to make him in Minecraft.

w9ZOtca.jpg

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does wargroove have kb/m support on xbox? If so would you guys recommend it on switch or xbox?

Edit: portability isn't a huge factor for me, although I do like playing on the gamepad if a game's got good touch controls.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Does wargroove have kb/m support on xbox? If so would you guys recommend it on switch or xbox?

Edit: portability isn't a huge factor for me.
Up to you really. It's not a demanding game or anything so it's not like it will look much different. I think kb/m might work on Xbox as it actually does on Switch surprisingly.

To me portability was a factor, so Switch was the obvious choice. All platforms but PS4 (right now at least) have crossplay that works seamlessly.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Up to you really. It's not a demanding game or anything so it's not like it will look much different. I think kb/m might work on Xbox as it actually does on Switch surprisingly.

To me portability was a factor, so Switch was the obvious choice. All platforms but PS4 (right now at least) have crossplay that works seamlessly.

Oh well if kb/m works on switch and I assume it looks and preforms at least very close then the switch version has everything I want haha, thanks!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Oh well if kb/m works on switch and I assume it looks and preforms at least very close then the switch version has everything I want haha, thanks!
I assume kb/m works for general gameplay, but I know for a fact it works on the scenario editor, so there is no reason it shouldn't.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Finally bought the game for switch last night and I'm having audio issues where every five or so seconds it skips. Is this common?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did the QoL patch drop yet? Been waiting til that appears to really get into the game.
Was literally about to ask this.

I know the patch approval process can be annoying, but I really think it's getting to be past time. There's no need to save every single improvement for a single patch. Best to get something out now, just the easiest stuff, I think.

Last edited:

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

I know the patch approval process can be annoying, but I really think it's getting to be past time. There's no need to save every single improvement for a single patch. Get something out now, just the easiest stuff.

Yeah I'm on the same boat. I stopped playing the game to wait for the patch but they really have taken longer than I expected

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm on the same boat. I stopped playing the game to wait for the patch but they really have taken longer than I expected

same here, I said I'd wait to tackle Act 3-3 until the patch but at this rate it might be a while before I get back to the game because there's so much other stuff to play with how long the patch is taking :-/

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just had the 7-2 glitch and can't say I'm gonna complain about that cheesed S-Rank. 3 turn win baby!

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Quit out while a party member will be possessed next turn and when you reload back into the match it will be the enemy CO and you can just kill her
Thank you! While I admit I enjoyed that mission's mechanic, prospect of replaying that whole thing while constantly worried about turn limit was super daunting. Now only 11 missions to full S rank...

Piercedveil

Oct 25, 2017

I know the patch approval process can be annoying, but I really think it's getting to be past time. There's no need to save every single improvement for a single patch. Best to get something out now, just the easiest stuff, I think.

I'm feeling the same way. I want to continue playing but I'm really interested in waiting for this patch to drop first.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
Patch has been sent off already, just waiting for approval now. It took longer than anticipated because we had to do a fair amount of testing, there were some sweeping changes to the game in the patch to things like fog of war for example - so we wanted to ensure everything was still behaving correctly.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I dropped the game. It's really rare that I do not finish a game, but this die and retry approach is just shallow and fundamentally not fun to me. Here is to more hours playing Into the Breach.
Also, if I can kill humans, let me also kill dogs.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Patch has been sent off already, just waiting for approval now. It took longer than anticipated because we had to do a fair amount of testing, there were some sweeping changes to the game in the patch to things like fog of war for example - so we wanted to ensure everything was still behaving correctly.
Awesome! Was just wondering about this.

Piercedveil

Oct 25, 2017

Awesome, looking forward to it.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear, looking forward to it!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Are there complete patch notes anywhere? Ryota changes included in this patch or future patch?