• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Hard mode Arcade needs a rethink. Fuck throwing 2 hours away when the enemy just arbitrarily gets more money each turn. Give us the ability to retry the fight or knock the rest of the run down to normal if no stars have been earned before.

Also, trying to grind out stars to get the rest of the story and COs is already bs, but the cheap ass arcade mode ain't helping.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For 100 you don't need it. Wtf is 155 even for ? I thought it was 150 or 151 for the hidden thing. Didn't care about it anyway.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I bought the game at launch but havent had time to get around to playing it since I was finishing up other stuff first. Now I have time to play this and wat to get started, but I keep reading that this game is HARD. While I enjoy these types of games I am not that good at them. Should I wait for the upcoming patch to start the game? or will will the difficulty selection be usable on a existing save file?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game at launch but havent had time to get around to playing it since I was finishing up other stuff first. Now I have time to play this and wat to get started, but I keep reading that this game is HARD. While I enjoy these types of games I am not that good at them. Should I wait for the upcoming patch to start the game? or will will the difficulty selection be usable on a existing save file?

The patch adds lower pre-set difficulty options, and lessens the penalty for lowering the difficulty. Everything it adds/changes will be usable on existing files.

Currently, there are three sliders with which to customize the difficulty, but lowering them at all will restrict your mission rating from a potential *** to *. Stars are needed to unlock some additional hidden content/ending.

So you could play through it all now with lower difficulty if you just want to experience most of the story, AFAIK. It's a challenging enough game, but not something unapproachably difficult — I think you'd probably be fine on default as long as you weren't shooting to S-rank maps.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
The patch adds lower pre-set difficulty options, and lessens the penalty for lowering the difficulty. Everything it adds/changes will be usable on existing files.

Currently, there are three sliders with which to customize the difficulty, but lowering them at all will restrict your mission rating from a potential *** to *. Stars are needed to unlock some additional hidden content/ending.

So you could play through it all now with lower difficulty if you just want to experience most of the story, AFAIK. It's a challenging enough game, but not something unapproachably difficult — I think you'd probably be fine on default as long as you weren't shooting to S-rank maps.
Thanks Ill go ahead and start the game today then. I was afraid of starting the game and then hitting a wall somewhere in the story mode and not being able to lower difficulty without starting a new file or something

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Hard mode Arcade needs a rethink. Fuck throwing 2 hours away when the enemy just arbitrarily gets more money each turn. Give us the ability to retry the fight or knock the rest of the run down to normal if no stars have been earned before.

Also, trying to grind out stars to get the rest of the story and COs is already bs, but the cheap ass arcade mode ain't helping.
It's not all that interesting after the first couple runs as-is, but they'll need to significantly improve the AI before taking their thumb off the scale in its favor. It does a dreadful job of grabbing towns and bases, and there's only a couple maps where rushing infantry forward isn't the solution. Only time I've ever lost a map in four runs was due to getting cocky and overextending the commander.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
That's my main issue. I push too hard and spread myself thin. I just get impatient after fighting 3 people before and just want to get it over with. Such a time commitment even when just going for 3 stars with normal, but feels pretty braindead.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yo I just started playing and all I got to say is this Greenfinger man has the perfect facial expression of always being tired of your shit

Also I've missed Advance Wars so much

EDIT: That stare is avatar worthy

Last edited:

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Verification seemed to be taking too long, so went ahead and got full S rank and Mercival. Hope the patch drops soon though, because faster speed will definitely make Arcade grinding easier.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's my main issue. I push too hard and spread myself thin. I just get impatient after fighting 3 people before and just want to get it over with. Such a time commitment even when just going for 3 stars with normal, but feels pretty braindead.

Are you referring to the game as a whole or a specific mode?

This is on my radar so I hit up this thread to read some impressions.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Are you referring to the game as a whole or a specific mode?

This is on my radar so I hit up this thread to read some impressions.
Specifically Arcade Mode. Campaign mode feels like each level is teaching a strategic lesson. Sometimes story has some insane odds stacked against you, but a quick YouTube look shows some strategies for handling missions and makes me see where I could be making better calls.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So the campaign itself is solid?
I feel it does a better job of introducing mechanics and units compared to AW. There are some missions (and like all side missions) that can be really frustrating. But, honestly, I'm excited for the great content to come from players. The campaign tools seem robust that people will be able to make better campaigns than what's there.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I really want something similar to War Room for AW, I thought maybe Puzzle and Arcade mode would scratch that itch, but they aren't really the same. Puzzle is great though and similar to a mode I remember in Dual Strike.

War Room was about putting you on a specific map against a specific CO as a challenge, and the AI wasn't Arcade-levels stupid. Also War Room maps could often by asymmetrical. Spann Island being the classic first one. Recreating AW maps in Wargroove doesn't really work well for the smaller ones though mainly due to the fact that you can't stand on properties.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want something similar to War Room for AW, I thought maybe Puzzle and Arcade mode would scratch that itch, but they aren't really the same. Puzzle is great though and similar to a mode I remember in Dual Strike.

War Room was about putting you on a specific map against a specific CO as a challenge, and the AI wasn't Arcade-levels stupid. Also War Room maps could often by asymmetrical. Spann Island being the classic first one. Recreating AW maps in Wargroove doesn't really work well for the smaller ones though mainly due to the fact that you can't stand on properties.
It's exactly what the game is missing. Arcade is just bad.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I've progressed a bit further, haven't seen any naval units left but I've got several ground and air units, and I gotta say pretty much all of these units are just copy/paste from AW, lol. I don't really mind since I miss AW so much, but it's kind of weird that the developers didn't really take any initiative on their own or being innovative when coming up with units. I like the critical hit system that they made, but otherwise they just took units from AW and changed their design and name. Last AW I played was Dark Conflict, and it's like the developers just ran through that list of units: infantry = soldier, pikeman = bazooka, puppy = motorcycle, knight = tank, and so on. Even the three aerial units I've seen so far are helicopters, interceptors, and bombers.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I've been pushing off getting into this because I had other games, but this past weekend I really got into it.

Excellent game, only complaint is that some maps feel a bit long, but I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Looks like there is plenty to do, and I'm excited to see how it evolves over time with patches and community creations.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
RIP the current Era matches that are going on. Glad the patch is coming tomorrow though.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good patch. The ability to turn up move speed is a godsend. I wish there was an option to not show capture animations, but the skip is so quick now it hardly matters. Damage ranges are great too.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thoughts on 2v2 team map? I was gonna edit my map so teams alternated turns.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the change was undocumented, but Nuru did get nerfed. Her summoned units cost double now.

Edit: never mind, it is documented, I didn't see it at first.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
9WQADN

New 2v2 with alternating team turns and p4 now starts with an additional property as well as additional unit p2 and p3 get.

Wargroove Wednesday!

Also, please only join if you're able to check at least once a day for your turn. 4player games go slower, but I'd like for us to finish a match :p

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
9WQADN

New 2v2 with alternating team turns and p4 now starts with an additional property as well as additional unit p2 and p3 get.

Wargroove Wednesday!

Also, please only join if you're able to check at least once a day for your turn. 4player games go slower, but I'd like for us to finish a match :p
In and ready.

Oct 25, 2017
9WQADN

Wargroove Wednesday!

Joined the match.

Also, loving the update!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever Andrew is, it's your turn now.

I did not realize you couldn't put wagons on Flagstone, effectively making this a no-wagon/ballista/trebuchet map at the start unless you're Nuru or you capture one of the center barracks.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Whoever Andrew is, it's your turn now.

I did not realize you couldn't put wagons on Flagstone, effectively making this a no-wagon/ballista/trebuchet map at the start unless you're Nuru or you capture one of the center barracks.
Yeah, wanted wagon to be midgame to mix up wagon sprinting.

Curious what y'all think afterwards.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I was afraid of that, as soon as I saw Ryota come that close I was definitely concerned.

And that dragon from purple being there was a major problem. I think one problem with this map is the only answer to air units being mages really. You can't build Ballistae unless you capture one of the barracks in the middle.