• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
I was afraid of that, as soon as I saw Ryota come that close I was definitely concerned.

And that dragon from purple being there was a major problem. I think one problem with this map is the only answer to air units being mages really. You can't build Ballistae unless you capture one of the barracks in the middle.

Dang, I'm sorry I couldn't help, I was hoping to get to you. Both teams were really cornering you.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Man, my heart is racing. That was a really crazy match. TriggerShy really outplayed me in just about every encounter. Was losing on the west and just went too thin from the north, trying to disrupt with no escape plan.

I was afraid of that, as soon as I saw Ryota come that close I was definitely concerned.

And that dragon from purple being there was a major problem. I think one problem with this map is the only answer to air units being mages really. You can't build Ballistae unless you capture one of the barracks in the middle.

My mindset was there's enough starting money and money coming in to bankroll the mages, but to also give the incentive on which building you want to value capturing more. I could open a path for the outer barracks on bases to allow a path for wheeled units, but just wanted to mix up how the usual first few turns go.

Any other thoughts? I really like making maps and want to make the best maps I can.

Last edited:

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Thank goodness I somehow pulled through.

Fuuuuuuuuuu I knew I was too greedy

Doodlebird, you're too good lol

I had a feeling you were itching to use Ryota's Groove, what I didn't know was that it could not only go through more than two units, but the buildings as well, it was a good thing I pulled an extra Harpy out. I really should also thank Hylian for wearing you down because once you pulled out the ballista, I knew it was time to end it.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
I like how you can puzzle out the position of the enemy by using the field of view from your teammate, I was almost baited to taking out one of Ryota's structures if it hadn't been for the Quagmutt on the mountain to show me there was a Thunderbear in the forest.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't own the game, but played a couple of co-op maps with a friend tonight. Pretty interesting - the first match we won because the AI built really expensive ships that didn't contribute at all to the land-based fights, so he just came in with a dragon and steamrolled their base. Second match was on a smaller map that didn't have more expensive units, though unlike the first the AI had two commanders, both of whom came for my dudes in the east, so I ended up hunkering down with cheap units while my friend's commander swept through their properties and seized chunks of their economy to bail me out, and then we slaughtered everyone.

Pretty fun, though I'm not sure if I'll buy it myself. $20 seems like a bargain for the amount of content, though I might wait for a discount, seeing as I've got enough on my plate currently.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I like how you can puzzle out the position of the enemy by using the field of view from your teammate, I was almost baited to taking out one of Ryota's structures if it hadn't been for the Quagmutt on the mountain to show me there was a Thunderbear in the forest.
Yeah dogs are super important when fog of War is in play. I try I have a few of them just sitting in mountains for vision, not even necessarily using them for combat.

The only thing I didn't like about that map was how there was little answer to the dragons other than getting a mage in their face before they see you. I think maybe there should be a free trebuchet at the start or each player having another barracks they can capture that's not of the flagstone. Otherwise it was great

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, I didn't anticipate the dragon as early as it showed up. He got that so soon and didn't build like any other units before, so I feel in most cases a harpy will be the first unit from the towers and archers and mages deal with those handily. Certainly it could have paid off going that strategy if I didn't get bone headed and rush in.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I have a game up with a map I made with some scripting - mostly units to claim and a gimmick of 1 dragon to claim by taking the tower.

Either of you interested? Otherwise I'll play any map y'all want to suggest.

Y3HS5M

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Finally picked this up. First act down, and I've already had to replay a mission to grab the S rank (wasn't prepared to get the commander back so quickly). I can already tell this game is amazing.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Been trying to finish Puzzle Mode, and it's kinda weird how one puzzle takes me forever, but the next one ends up being simple for me when I expect them to just get increasingly more elaborate.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
Played for the first time in weeks today, chipping away at campaign mode. Just finished chapter 5 and finally got to use Naval units. I've been avoiding playing maps with them until I reached this point in the campaign, so I'm looking forward to doing multiplayer with a full unit roster now

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
So after putting the game down for a few weeks, I'm back to get the remaining stars I need to get 100, and... ugh. I'm getting really sick of missions that are either "you have a limited set of units and can't build more" or "the CPU randomly spawns units for free" or both. It basically strips the economy aspect of the game away for one or both sides, which hurts the actual gameplay loop IMO. But Arcade mode, which should be the traditional style, is dull because the AI can't handle equal maps.

I really like the game, but this puts a big damper on my enjoyment.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
Having so much fun after the big patch, especially being able to check weaknesses of enemies very fast and clearly with B > Y since I keep forgetting some of them.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
If a second quality of life patches made, I hope they also change the codex damage list to using symbols over faces as well. This was the non-mechanics change I was most looking forward to you, and it's odd that they only changed it to symbols on the unit information screen, not the full list.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
This game is WAY too easy, and it's mainly due to the dumb-as-a-rock AI. The AI has no clue what units to make, how to group them, when to approach, what to prioritize. Some units are just ridiculously overpowered when spammed like Pikemen and Turtles, neither of which the AI abuses. Rather, the AI focuses on making Ballistas and Mages on levels that don't even have aerial units.

Been playing arcade mode and even on the highest difficulty it's just way too easy, I'm not even sure what the difficulty is between normal and hard. I also don't really like how the levels are just random, meaning you will often play on the same level again. I think Advance Wars' free play was a lot better than this arcade mode.

Also, unrelated, but I feel like fog of war or whatever they call it in this game is used too seldom, iirc I've only seen it once or twice in my entirety of playing this game.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This game is WAY too easy, and it's mainly due to the dumb-as-a-rock AI. The AI has no clue what units to make, how to group them, when to approach, what to prioritize. Some units are just ridiculously overpowered when spammed like Pikemen and Turtles, neither of which the AI abuses. Rather, the AI focuses on making Ballistas and Mages on levels that don't even have aerial units.

Been playing arcade mode and even on the highest difficulty it's just way too easy, I'm not even sure what the difficulty is between normal and hard. I also don't really like how the levels are just random, meaning you will often play on the same level again. I think Advance Wars' free play was a lot better than this arcade mode.

Also, unrelated, but I feel like fog of war or whatever they call it in this game is used too seldom, iirc I've only seen it once or twice in my entirety of playing this game.

Yeah. Campaign only manages to be difficult by stacking the odds heavily against the player, and having the opponent gain units and income magically, independent of their economy. As soon as the player surmounts that early disadvantage, the match is effectively decided.

AI improvement options should be a #1 priority for future updates. The difference between "Hard" and "Normal" in Arcade shouldn't be arbitrary income disparity — it should be smarter AI opponents.
Maybe that's beyond the developer's toolkit or skillset, and if so that's fine, but it'd be another appreciated improvement to an otherwise great game.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Campaign only manages to be difficult by stacking the odds heavily against the player, and having the opponent gain units and income magically, independent of their economy. As soon as the player surmounts that early disadvantage, the match is effectively decided.

AI improvement options should be a #1 priority for future updates. The difference between "Hard" and "Normal" in Arcade shouldn't be arbitrary income disparity — it should be smarter AI opponents.
Maybe that's beyond the developer's toolkit or skillset, and if so that's fine, but it'd be another appreciated improvement to an otherwise great game.

Agree with all of this. For the first time since picking up the game I got really frustrated with it. I had already gone through all of the campaigns on normal and started in on hard. Got through a couple of matches with Mercia, but then I hit a mostly water map that caused me to get into a stalemate against the CPU that I couldn't push past given how much ridiculous income it had. I eventually quit the match after 60 or so turns and lost all progress for Mercia on Hard. Put the game down last week after that and haven't picked it up since.

I loved the game up to that point and I'll go back eventually, but that was really frustrating.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah....I think I'm done trying to make Sedge work. Unless you're on a huge map and can get him enough kills, he's useless. On small maps he's a paperweight.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Bit late to the party on this, but I've finally started playing it a few days ago. I thought I'd jump in now they've added all the new QOL stuff.

I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would actually as I'm not really a big strategy game kinda guy. I like the different personalities of the various commanders, each mission seems different enough to keep me interested.

I'm playing it on 'medium' difficulty, and so far I wasn't having too much trouble with it, but I got my first defeat last night during Act 2 Mission 2. It made me actually sit up, pay attention and actually think about what I'm doing.

Edit: I ain't trying to get three stars for everything, I'm just happy enough finishing a level!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I am hilariously bad at this game.

I'm managing to finish the missions, but I'm coming out with 1 star, or E grade for most of them 😂😂

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
I am hilariously bad at this game.

I'm managing to finish the missions, but I'm coming out with 1 star, or E grade for most of them 😂😂

Mission grades are mostly decided by how fast you clear a map as far as I'm aware, but there is no shame in taking your time, and the recent update allows for checkpoints which is helpful. You might already know this, but Wagons are incredibly helpful, so it rarely hurts to get one out when your able. Also Commanders are able to take attacks pretty well, but you still need to watch out for when they get surrounded so keep a unit or two near them.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
slfkjsdlfkjslfjsdlkfjdlskjfdlskjfldskjflkjfdlskdjfs

There are no words for much I hate how there is no undo in this game. I was at the end of Sigrid's hold-the-line ocean mission - a mission type I find long and tedious. I was doing exceptionally well, with overwhelming board control and powerful units. Just a spear guy, a dragon, a few merfolk, a harpoon ship, and a harpy or two left (vs a fleet and trebuchets). But all that came to an end when I accidentally moved Sigrid to attack an enemy and misclicked her onto the road. She had full groove, so I could heal, but I wanted to wait for the dragon to get closer. But. Nope. I had also just moved my alchemist nearby, so I COULD have healed her first. But. Nope. And due to that ONE SINGLE MISTAKE - that I realized immediately - I lost the game. Now I have to redo that entire mission, because there's no undo functionality. Ugh.

I wouldn't even mind if it was just undoing the last move or even if it was like Into the Breach, where you can move and preview several units together, but only go back to the last actual action (attack). Take away stars, whatever! It's super frustrating, and I have no intention of playing anymore now. Ugh. I came back cuz of the difficulty settings (thanks). But, since missions take such a long time, it feels like a huge investment every time I want to jump into a new mission. Anyway. It's my fault. I know. But, surely a limited undo wouldn't break the core design of the game.

(It turns out I have many words).

Last edited:

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It probably doesn't help to say it now, but probably better to set up a checkpoint when you have clearly have the mission won.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Oh damn, spirit bombs ain't no joke. Both tore through my 7 health Ryota and won that fucker the game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started the game and heard there was a true ending. I'm bad at strategy games so I set the difficulty to normal but it's doubtful I'll get more than 2 stars a mission. Is that enough to get the true ending?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Man, I keep trying to make maps, but just keep ending up disappointed. Only like 2 or 3 maps I actually think turned out well.

RiggyRob

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Started the game and heard there was a true ending. I'm bad at strategy games so I set the difficulty to normal but it's doubtful I'll get more than 2 stars a mission. Is that enough to get the true ending?

Kind of if you include non-Campaign stuff - you need 99 stars and there's 32 (not including the true ending) maps in Campaign, so that's 32 x 2 = 64. There's 25 stars in Puzzle Mode, so 89 there. You can get 13* stars in Easy Arcade, 26* in Normal Arcade and another 26* in Hard Arcade.

* If you complete a harder difficulty Arcade run, you'll get the stars for the lower difficulty too. Also this assume you haven't seen the true ending.

So it's possible, but not if you're only doing Campaign.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of if you include non-Campaign stuff - you need 99 stars and there's 32 (not including the true ending) maps in Campaign, so that's 32 x 2 = 64. There's 25 stars in Puzzle Mode, so 89 there. You can get 13* stars in Easy Arcade, 26* in Normal Arcade and another 26* in Hard Arcade.

* If you complete a harder difficulty Arcade run, you'll get the stars for the lower difficulty too. Also this assume you haven't seen the true ending.

So it's possible, but not if you're only doing Campaign.

Thanks.

I'm really bad at this game so worst comes to worst I'll just youtube the true ending once I finish.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, I'm rusty too haha. Just something that could be a quick game.

Preferably not a default map :p

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
gg I was worried at first with that wagon.

Why didn't you build more expensive stuff? you had like 3k to spend!

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
gg I was worried at first with that wagon.

Why didn't you build more expensive stuff? you had like 3k to spend!

Force of habit, I typically don't like spamming too many expensive things in fear that they'll go to waste, that's why I focused on keeping you away from the barracks. I also wanted the Archers to keep you away from the Sparrow Bombs, but the horse riders got me too scared to advance.