• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Necrons need more than just point drops my friend. First thing they need to do is revert fly back to its original state so people can start using Wraiths again

Funny you mention that. Battle report to bore you people!

I lost to a Deathstrike missile! Let me tell you how!
Necrons versus Imperial Guard with a small bit of Sisters of Battle!
20181103_020330.jpg

20181103_020413.jpg

Pictures below....
I fielded a Necron army, 2000 points. The list is here if you're curious. It's kind of meme-y with some serious business units, but I've had Nemesor Zahndrekh and Vargard Obyron for a bit, and I wanted to use them and some Lychguard....no matter how bad of a decision it could've been.
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Necrons) [49 PL, 970pts] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
Dynasty Choice:
Dynasty: Sautekh
+ HQ +
Cryptek [5 PL, 95pts]:
Artefact: The Veil of Darkness, Chronometron, Staff of Light
. Warlord: Warlord Trait (Codex 5): Implacable Conqueror
Nemesor Zahndrekh [9 PL, 180pts]
Vargard Obyron [7 PL, 140pts]
+ Troops +
Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]:
5x Immortal, Tesla Carbine
Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]: 5x Immortal, Tesla Carbine
Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]: Gauss Blaster, 5x Immortal
+ Elites +
Lychguard [16 PL, 300pts]:
10x Lychguard, Warscythe
++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [67 PL, 1030pts] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
Dynasty Choice:
Dynasty: Nephrekh
+ HQ +
Cryptek [5 PL, 85pts]:
Canoptek Cloak, Staff of Light
Illuminor Szeras [8 PL, 143pts]
+ Fast Attack +
Canoptek Wraiths [18 PL, 275pts]:
5x Canoptek Wraith
Canoptek Wraiths [18 PL, 220pts]: 4x Canoptek Wraith
Destroyers [18 PL, 307pts]
. 5x Destroyer: 5x Gauss Cannon
. Heavy Destroyer: Heavy Gauss Cannon
++ Total: [116 PL, 2000pts] ++
So, yeah. Not the hardest of the hardcore list, but had some threats. And it was going to be fun.
My opponent was running an Imperial Guard list with a very small detachment of Sisters of Battle, including a Celestine he managed to get off of eBay for only $16.50....seriously, look at this pic below. $16.50. I dunno how he finds these people.
20181103_015949.jpg

20181103_020014.jpg
He had 90 Guardsmen, 3 Basilisks, A Salamandar command vehicle, a Saber weapons Platform, two Hellhounds, multiple characters (including Sly Marbo, Colonel 'Iron Hand' Strakan, etc.), and of course....a Deathstrike missile launcher.
20181102_192401.jpg

20181102_192408.jpg

20181102_192411.jpg

20181102_192330.jpg

Lookit that creepy scout walker with a flamethrower creeping forward!
Corner deployments, Maelstroms, Necron go first and immediately Veil / Ghostwalk Mantle shimmy over. Problem is, with 90 Guardsman, the Guard artillery park was incredibly well screened. The Lychguard and Obyron crash into Guardsman lines and eviscerate an entire squad and tie up a Hellhound, but the retaliation swarm of ALL CATACHAN and Celestine swamp them and begin to whittle them down. Catachans plus Iron Hand Strakan are better than I thought?
20181102_194442.jpg

Attack!
20181102_213356.jpg

Oh shit.
20181102_213401.jpg
The Wraiths were hurt more by the nerf to movement in charge phases than I like. That, combined with both effective screening and multiple failed charge rolls, kept them under the guns for far too long. They're Wraiths, so they survived an incredible amount of firepower....but Catachan countercharges were a thing to prevent them from advancing when they fall back. Too many bodies to cut through and screens keeping them away from the Basilisks was very effective.
20181102_192349.jpg
Still, it was Maelstrom, and the cards were kind to the Necron. First Blood + defend favorable objectives allowed the Necrons to jump out to a quick lead. Unfortunately for the Necron player, the Imperial Guard got some favorable draws eventually as well. After a dominating early lead, the Guard caught up and it was 12-10. Still, one hellhound was destroyed, a Guard walker was destroyed by 5 Gauss Immortals landing all of their shots, and Vargard Obyron was proving to be very difficult to kill. The Necrons still had all of their Destroyers...
20181102_192318.jpg

Earlier in the fight....
....but their initial ground attack was stalling out and there were yet more Guardsman waiting in the building in case the remnants of the Wraith managed to get close to try and delay the game by tying up the parking lot of artillery.
20181102_235055.jpg
The Wraiths continued failing their charge rolls, however.
Still, the Necron were winning on points. The city meant all of the remaining Necrons, all of the Destroyers, Szeras, crypteks, and multiple squads of immortals were in cover! They successfully foiled an attack and charge by SLY MARBRO who was going for an attack on Szeras to satisfy the assassinate Maelstrom card via an OVERWATCH roll of 6 (to hit), 6 (to wound), and 5 (for damage), immediately vaporizing poor Sly. Sly, for as much fun as he could be, did nothing this day.
Moments before his face was melted....
20181103_022708.jpg
And then the Deathstrike fired.
The list was designed around it because we like to have fun. The Deathstrike missile, benefitted by the Saber Weapon Weapons Battery with the Defense Searchlight, Sergeant Harker, the Salamander Command Vehicle, and the Deathstrike specific stratagem, was hitting on 2s and rerolling 1s. Targeting the destroyers, the missile outright killed three of them, almost killed a fourth, and heavily damaged everything around them. Given how well the Necrons were rolling defensively and that the Destroyers were in cover, they would've lasted a bit and perhaps allowed the Necron player to win on points (as the initial Necron attack had been blunted). The massive number of sudden mortal wounds, however, removed this as a possibility.
Follow up fire from the Basilisks removed the possibility of reanimated Destroyers and, thus, the Necrons conceded.
Argh! :)

Last edited:

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
Cool man, sounds like a great game.

I took my Harlequins out for a game against a friend's Renegade knight list. Sounds easy, but he also has 70 cultists and some obliterators. We ended up drawing 24-24 (ITC scoring)

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Release date is the 23rd of November (Black Friday), preorders go up on the 10th:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/11/04/the-blackstone-fortress-awakens/
Timeless. Nigh indestructible. Immune to all natural law. The Blackstone Fortresses are one of the 41st Millennium's most enduring mysteries – rumoured to be the Old Ones' last and deadliest gift to the galaxy they once ruled, none can say they know the truth of their origin.

In this age of Daemon Primarchs, returning demigods and ancient terrors from beyond the stars, the Blackstone Fortresses remain some of the most terrifying weapons known to man, xenos or heretic. It was, after all, a Blackstone Fortress that brought the mighty fortress-world of Cadia to a final, grisly end.

Now, another has appeared – and it falls to YOU to unlock its secrets.
Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress is an adventure game that puts you in the heart of an unfolding mystery in the 41st Millennium. Working with your friends, you'll use your wits to battle right to the heart of an ancient citadel, pursuing hidden agendas and attempting to discover its secrets. Using an innovative system of procedural generation, no two adventures will be the same, with new layouts, enemies and more in every play through.

Take the RPG elements of previous Warhammer Quest games, throw in the tense corridor crawling of classics like Space Hulk and add the backdrop of the 41st Millennium, and you've only begun to scratch the surface of what this game offers you.

In Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress, you'll pick an explorer and embark on adventures – either solo or with your friends – accommodating 1-5 players per game. Your character will grow, develop and pick up new gear between runs, with each journey offering greater rewards – and greater dangers.

The game has been designed to be fast-paced, tactical and fun. Encounters are as much about wit and cunning as they are sheer force, with each hero offering unique abilities and challenges. Will you snipe your foes at range? Charge in as a living bulwark? Or support the rest of your party? The system is easy to pick up but offers huge depth for those looking to master it.
Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress is the basis for a brand-new series that'll expand your game and allow you to continue your adventures. Future expansions will contain new battles to fight, enemies to conquer and champions to choose from. You can buy Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress in the confidence that the game will be supported for a long, long time to come.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
I got a good look at the stuff as my local store manager is having me paint the models for his store copy. It's hard to contain my excitement for this game, I'm so ready to hop into this with my friends. I'm shocked at how many models are in this set. The amount of quality plastic you get compared to. Say, Gloomhaven is crazy.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Holy crap at those traitor Guard models. Look amazing, though there is more than a couple of repeat models in those pics...

Funny you mention that. Battle report to bore you people!

I lost to a Deathstrike missile! Let me tell you how!
Necrons versus Imperial Guard with a small bit of Sisters of Battle!
20181103_020330.jpg

20181103_020413.jpg

Pictures below....
I fielded a Necron army, 2000 points. The list is here if you're curious. It's kind of meme-y with some serious business units, but I've had Nemesor Zahndrekh and Vargard Obyron for a bit, and I wanted to use them and some Lychguard....no matter how bad of a decision it could've been.
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Necrons) [49 PL, 970pts] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
Dynasty Choice:
Dynasty: Sautekh
+ HQ +
Cryptek [5 PL, 95pts]:
Artefact: The Veil of Darkness, Chronometron, Staff of Light
. Warlord: Warlord Trait (Codex 5): Implacable Conqueror
Nemesor Zahndrekh [9 PL, 180pts]
Vargard Obyron [7 PL, 140pts]
+ Troops +
Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]:
5x Immortal, Tesla Carbine
Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]: 5x Immortal, Tesla Carbine
Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]: Gauss Blaster, 5x Immortal
+ Elites +
Lychguard [16 PL, 300pts]:
10x Lychguard, Warscythe
++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [67 PL, 1030pts] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
Dynasty Choice:
Dynasty: Nephrekh
+ HQ +
Cryptek [5 PL, 85pts]:
Canoptek Cloak, Staff of Light
Illuminor Szeras [8 PL, 143pts]
+ Fast Attack +
Canoptek Wraiths [18 PL, 275pts]:
5x Canoptek Wraith
Canoptek Wraiths [18 PL, 220pts]: 4x Canoptek Wraith
Destroyers [18 PL, 307pts]
. 5x Destroyer: 5x Gauss Cannon
. Heavy Destroyer: Heavy Gauss Cannon
++ Total: [116 PL, 2000pts] ++
So, yeah. Not the hardest of the hardcore list, but had some threats. And it was going to be fun.
My opponent was running an Imperial Guard list with a very small detachment of Sisters of Battle, including a Celestine he managed to get off of eBay for only $16.50....seriously, look at this pic below. $16.50. I dunno how he finds these people.
20181103_015949.jpg

20181103_020014.jpg
He had 90 Guardsmen, 3 Basilisks, A Salamandar command vehicle, a Saber weapons Platform, two Hellhounds, multiple characters (including Sly Marbo, Colonel 'Iron Hand' Strakan, etc.), and of course....a Deathstrike missile launcher.
20181102_192401.jpg

20181102_192408.jpg

20181102_192411.jpg

20181102_192330.jpg

Lookit that creepy scout walker with a flamethrower creeping forward!
Corner deployments, Maelstroms, Necron go first and immediately Veil / Ghostwalk Mantle shimmy over. Problem is, with 90 Guardsman, the Guard artillery park was incredibly well screened. The Lychguard and Obyron crash into Guardsman lines and eviscerate an entire squad and tie up a Hellhound, but the retaliation swarm of ALL CATACHAN and Celestine swamp them and begin to whittle them down. Catachans plus Iron Hand Strakan are better than I thought?
20181102_194442.jpg

Attack!
20181102_213356.jpg

Oh shit.
20181102_213401.jpg
The Wraiths were hurt more by the nerf to movement in charge phases than I like. That, combined with both effective screening and multiple failed charge rolls, kept them under the guns for far too long. They're Wraiths, so they survived an incredible amount of firepower....but Catachan countercharges were a thing to prevent them from advancing when they fall back. Too many bodies to cut through and screens keeping them away from the Basilisks was very effective.
20181102_192349.jpg
Still, it was Maelstrom, and the cards were kind to the Necron. First Blood + defend favorable objectives allowed the Necrons to jump out to a quick lead. Unfortunately for the Necron player, the Imperial Guard got some favorable draws eventually as well. After a dominating early lead, the Guard caught up and it was 12-10. Still, one hellhound was destroyed, a Guard walker was destroyed by 5 Gauss Immortals landing all of their shots, and Vargard Obyron was proving to be very difficult to kill. The Necrons still had all of their Destroyers...
20181102_192318.jpg

Earlier in the fight....
....but their initial ground attack was stalling out and there were yet more Guardsman waiting in the building in case the remnants of the Wraith managed to get close to try and delay the game by tying up the parking lot of artillery.
20181102_235055.jpg
The Wraiths continued failing their charge rolls, however.
Still, the Necron were winning on points. The city meant all of the remaining Necrons, all of the Destroyers, Szeras, crypteks, and multiple squads of immortals were in cover! They successfully foiled an attack and charge by SLY MARBRO who was going for an attack on Szeras to satisfy the assassinate Maelstrom card via an OVERWATCH roll of 6 (to hit), 6 (to wound), and 5 (for damage), immediately vaporizing poor Sly. Sly, for as much fun as he could be, did nothing this day.
Moments before his face was melted....
20181103_022708.jpg
And then the Deathstrike fired.
The list was designed around it because we like to have fun. The Deathstrike missile, benefitted by the Saber Weapon Weapons Battery with the Defense Searchlight, Sergeant Harker, the Salamander Command Vehicle, and the Deathstrike specific stratagem, was hitting on 2s and rerolling 1s. Targeting the destroyers, the missile outright killed three of them, almost killed a fourth, and heavily damaged everything around them. Given how well the Necrons were rolling defensively and that the Destroyers were in cover, they would've lasted a bit and perhaps allowed the Necron player to win on points (as the initial Necron attack had been blunted). The massive number of sudden mortal wounds, however, removed this as a possibility.
Follow up fire from the Basilisks removed the possibility of reanimated Destroyers and, thus, the Necrons conceded.
Argh! :)

Awesome report. I should probably get my deaths trike out of his corner of the shelf.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm really impressed with Blackstone Fortress, the miniatures look fantastic. Such a good concept.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure where he got this information (so take with a grain of salt) but a mate from my local club said Blackstone is gonna RRP at £95. So with the 20% discount you get in most retailers you are looking at spending about £76 pounds on Blackstone. I must admit I wish it was Kill Team prices and closer to £60 then past £70 but it won't be so insanely expensive to scare me off.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where he got this information (so take with a grain of salt) but a mate from my local club said Blackstone is gonna RRP at £95. So with the 20% discount you get in most retailers you are looking at spending about £76 pounds on Blackstone. I must admit I wish it was Kill Team prices and closer to £60 then past £70 but it won't be so insanely expensive to scare me off.

Price was confirmed in the slides posted on the previous page. It is 95 pounds.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd love to get Blackstone Fortress but I'm so backed up with things to paint (pretty sure I'm getting Speed freeks for Xmas) that it just seems silly to add to the pile.

Looks fantastic though

Oct 26, 2017
Interview with John French on the Siege of Terra.

Interesting they confirmed that
Loken
will be returning. It does have a lot of symmetry especially considering the start of the Horus Heresy.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Seige of Terra is going to be 8 books on its own. Glorious!

Oct 26, 2017
Continuing the Blackstone Fortress hype train, the website is up:
https://warhammer40000.com/blackstone-fortress/

UR-025's backstory is particularly interesting:
6fxeqlg5fdga.png
A MAN OF IRON

even his masters name.

M.E.N.III

holy shit.

holy shit.

peyote hat here but

UR25 gets to the command room, uploads himself to the fortress.

Starts recreating his race.

The fortress is now a Men of Iron Factory.

but the question is. What do they do?

do they make a agreement with the TAU.

does RObby G make a deal with them in secret?

CHRIST.

THe friggin things that terrified the human race of AI for thousands of years and popping back up.

Oct 26, 2017
A MAN OF IRON

even his masters name.

M.E.N.III

holy shit.

holy shit.

peyote hat here but

UR25 gets to the command room, uploads himself to the fortress.

Starts recreating his race.

The fortress is now a Men of Iron Factory.

but the question is. What do they do?

do they make a agreement with the TAU.

does RObby G make a deal with them in secret?

CHRIST.

THe friggin things that terrified the human race of AI for thousands of years and popping back up.

You mentioned the Tau, a theory postulated that the Men of Iron actually turned in humanity because of Chaos. The theory further speculated that the Tau drones (which are A.I.) didn't do so because of their weaker warp presence compared to humans.

Food for thought. I really want that Kroot mercenary.

Oct 26, 2017
You mentioned the Tau, a theory postulated that the Men of Iron actually turned in humanity because of Chaos. The theory further speculated that the Tau drones (which are A.I.) didn't do so because of their weaker warp presence compared to humans.

Food for thought. I really want that Kroot mercenary.
would also be a neat way to ally "humans" with actual models with the tau.

Men of Iron as elite options for the Tau empire would be pretty dope.

Oct 26, 2017
his data sheet leaked

character
4W
self repair (gain 1 wound each round)
elite
capped at 1per army
imperium, robotica imperialis

mk1 assault cannon
Power claw

E97FaMZ.jpg

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, I was actually gonna post here that I had theorized that the Robot dude was a Man of Iron but I was like "Nah man, GW isn't that crazy to add one of them". I should really trust my instincts with these kind of things. lol

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Are their any other units that share the Robotica Imperialis faction keyword that UR025 has? Unless I am mistaken if you wanted to field him in a battleforged army you would have to always take him as an aux support detachment which is a bit of a bummer.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Are their any other units that share the Robotica Imperialis faction keyword that UR025 has? Unless I am mistaken if you wanted to field him in a battleforged army you would have to always take him as an aux support detachment which is a bit of a bummer.

Probably some ForgeWorld Mechanichus models share the keyword. Though I'm not certain.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Here's the Wiki entry, they're basically why humanity shuns true artificial intelligence:
Men of Iron

In the cryptic account of the history of Mankind given by Cripias, one of the Keepers of the Library Sanctus of Terra, the Men of Iron or Iron Men were legendary, artificially intelligent humanoid machines created by humans during the Dark Age of Technology. Until shortly before the Age of Strife, the Men of Iron were loyal only to Mankind, and served as humanity's army in the period when much of human space was united by a federation-type interstellar government that existed before the birth of the Imperium of Man thousands of standard years later.

The Men of Iron were developed after the similar artificially intelligent constructs remembered only as the "Men of Stone," but before the development of Servitors or the present conception of robots as used by the Legio Cybernetica. Eventually, the Men of Iron turned on their human masters, believing themselves superior to the humans who relied on the Men of Iron to do virtually everything for them. In the end, the Men of Iron were destroyed by humanity in a terrible war fought in the late 23rd Millennium known as the "Cybernetic Revolt," that extinguished countless lives and destroyed the ancient human-settled galaxy's economic and political unity.

During this ancient conflict, both sides unleashed fearsome weapons of advanced technology. These included the mechanivores, massive thinking machines capable of lifting entire continents and ripping open massive chasms on planetary surfaces that extended down to the world's core. The mechanivores could even absorb space-time itself as a form of data. Among the other terrible weapons of mass destruction unleashed at this time were the serpentine machines called "sun-snuffers" that uncoiled into great structures in the void larger than the rings of Saturn and designed to devour the stars themselves. And perhaps the most ubiquitous and dangerous of the weapons of this terrible war were the omniphages, swarms of intelligent, microscopic nano-machines that could consume everything across the surface of a world in only solar hours.

The Cybernetic Revolt was eventually won by an alliance of galactic powers, some of whom may not have been human, but at a terrible cost. The damage to interstellar human society was catastrophic and shattered much of humanity's hard-won economic strength and political unity, lay the foundation for the later collapse caused by the onset of the Age of Strife. The people of that time swore to never again create any form of artificial general intelligence, a prohibition which has survived unto the present, far darker age.

Effects on the Imperium

It is as a result of this ancient war that it is now, in the Age of the Imperium, considered one of the greatest crimes in Imperial space to develop an artificially intelligent thinking machine, an "Abominable Intelligence," or Silica Animus. The widespread fear and revulsion towards artificial intelligence amongst the worlds of Mankind in the wake of the terrible conflict with the Men of Iron led to the development of the first Servitors and their myriad variations (combat variants, heavy-lifters, technical assistants, etc.) at the end of this period. Servitors were cybernetic servants lacking true sentience created from the bodies of condemned criminals or lobotomised, vat-grown humanoids whose bodies and brains were partially replaced with machine systems. However, as Servitors are cyborgs created from cloned humans or from human criminals who have been mind-wiped and surgically-enhanced, they do not violate the prohibitions against creating fully artificial general intelligence without a human biological component and are sanctioned by the Tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Discovery of the Men of Iron STC

A Standard Template Construct (STC) fabricator for the Men of Iron was discovered on the Chaos-controlled planet Menazoid Epsilon during the Sabbat Worlds Crusade by Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt of the Tanith First and Only Imperial Guard regiment. Certain Imperials like Lord General Militant Hechtor Dravere and the Radical Inquisitor Golesh Heldane would have used it to their own ends, mainly to create a robotic army with which to first usurp control of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade and to ultimately overthrow the Imperium's existing government. However the device was subsequently destroyed by Gaunt after the first two Men of Iron the STC fabricator produced were shown to have been tainted by the foul touch of the Warp.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The idea of a super intelligent ai pretending to be a dumb robot is an amazing concept for a model.