• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just finished 3 Kill Teams for Warhammer Kill Team. While 1 of those I am still finishing up the paint work (a unit of Tau Pathfinders), I did finish up my Deathwatch Kill Team and my Harlequin Troupe.

tumblr_pot3jv4TKA1s3ndp6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pot3jv4TKA1s3ndp6o2_1280.jpg

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I bought the Shadowspear character models from eBay (Captain, Libarian, Lieutenant, Master of Possession)

All of them except the lieutenant are on their own individual plastic sprue. Hopefully suggests they will be released as individuals purchases in the future (unlike the characters in Dark Imperium box)

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been painting this one Chaos Space Marine and I wanted to see if I could base coat all the trim in liberator gold. It looks great but it's coverage is dog shit. I've been been painting The trim for like two hours and I still don't have a clean base coat. Sure as shit not doing this for the rest of 'em.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading Horus Rising and I'm legitimately shocked by how much I'm enjoying it. It's much better than I thought any Warhammer 40K novel had any right to be.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading Horus Rising and I'm legitimately shocked by how much I'm enjoying it. It's much better than I thought any Warhammer 40K novel had any right to be.
Out of interest have you read anything by Dan Abnett before? Quite surprising the amount of stuff he is involved in too. I believe the Guardians of the Galaxy film was based off the run he wrote

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
I've been painting this one Chaos Space Marine and I wanted to see if I could base coat all the trim in liberator gold. It looks great but it's coverage is dog shit. I've been been painting The trim for like two hours and I still don't have a clean base coat. Sure as shit not doing this for the rest of 'em.

Oof, yeah that is not a good choice for a case coat. It's suuuper thin. I'd start off with a base of Retributor or even leadbelcher and then go up to liberator.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra

Most Black Library stuff is better than your average genre fiction. Also the audiobooks are on audible and are really high quality for the most part. If you have questions about a book just ask. Horus Rising is a great place to start obviously!

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest have you read anything by Dan Abnett before? Quite surprising the amount of stuff he is involved in too. I believe the Guardians of the Galaxy film was based off the run he wrote

I've never read anything from Dan Abnett before, so I'm very impressed with the way he managed to craft a compelling and thoughtful story featuring genetically-enhanced Space Marines as the main characters.

There's some honest-to-goodness interesting philosophical arguments in this book, and it delicately touches upon such subjects as faith and moral ambiguity. If you were to try to tell me this a year ago, when I still only had cursory knowledge of Warhammer, I would have laughed it off.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
How the actual fuck do people assembly line paint whole armies. I've peen painting nothing but gold trim for like 2 days on my black legion guys and I want to fucking die.

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
How the actual fuck do people assembly line paint whole armies. I've peen painting nothing but gold trim for like 2 days on my black legion guys and I want to fucking die.

Break the army down into smaller batches. I've broken the 10 man tactical squad into two 5 man batches, it gives you small wins which keep you motivated. I'll then break the army down fruther by alternating between infantry and elites/vehicles so my next thing to paint will probably be oblits or venomcrawler.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I paint my army while I assemble them, usually one whole squad at a time. That way I can get the hard to reach areas without twisting my painting arm.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Sub groups! Paint by squad & break them up with vehicles and characters. That way you can try new techniques and ideas on grunts, get used to them, then do them on a standout model once you're confident.
Nobody will ever notice if your regular infantry dudes are a little shaky here and there, but a good character will really stand out

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Break the army down into smaller batches. I've broken the 10 man tactical squad into two 5 man batches, it gives you small wins which keep you motivated. I'll then break the army down fruther by alternating between infantry and elites/vehicles so my next thing to paint will probably be oblits or venomcrawler.
Sub groups! Paint by squad & break them up with vehicles and characters. That way you can try new techniques and ideas on grunts, get used to them, then do them on a standout model once you're confident.
Nobody will ever notice if your regular infantry dudes are a little shaky here and there, but a good character will really stand out

That sounds a lot more manageable. I'll definitely give that a try next time. I appreciate the advice!

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
if you're worried about forgetting how you painted specific things so you can keep an army looking uniform, then take a photo with the paint pot and the miniature to remind yourself - sometimes I'll do that with a few pots in a row if it took a few layers to do something. If I've had to mix colours then I'll note down what the mix is and then put a bit of that mix on a clean sheet of palette pad, label it with a pen & then I can do the new mix later on next to it and I'll be able to directly compare it

Oct 26, 2017
Friend is moving and selling a bunch of Tau for $100....Seems like a good deal for: 50 Firewarriors, 1 Ghostkeel, 6 Crisis Suits, 2 Ethereals. Misc. amount of drones.

Agreed. I won't give my opinion on any of the other books so you can go in as fresh as possible, BUT....Horus Rising is probably one of the best in it. For a series with horror-like elements, I've never read it done as well as that first book. How far into it are you?

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I won't give my opinion on any of the other books so you can go in as fresh as possible, BUT....Horus Rising is probably one of the best in it. For a series with horror-like elements, I've never read it done as well as that first book. How far into it are you?

I'm about 75% through it so far (as a point of reference,
Sanguinius has just arrived as backup above the planet Murder).

If you're referencing the megarachnid portions of the book, I agree. Dan Abnett does a great job of describing alien worlds, and the way he describes what I assume are Tyranids makes them sound horrifying and disgusting. All in all, I'm just very impressed.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about 75% through it so far (as a point of reference,
Sanguinius has just arrived as backup above the planet Murder).

If you're referencing the megarachnid portions of the book, I agree. Dan Abnett does a great job of describing alien worlds, and the way he describes what I assume are Tyranids makes them sound horrifying and disgusting. All in all, I'm just very impressed.
Ah. OKay. You are definitely past the part I'm thinking of, but it has been so long I'm going to butcher it. It isn't too far in the book when
Loken has his first encounter with chaos essentially. They start hearing the chattering, repeating voice come over their vox talking about Samus. The whole thing is spooky as hell and really well-written. You're kind of tense the whole time, all the way up until they finally have their fight.
Samus is the man beside you.
Samus will gnaw upon your bones.
Look out!
Samus is here.

I love that so much. And he writes it so well, them all experiencing this terrifying, confusing thing for the first time. And Loken himself not quite grasping it because he doesn't understand fear. But as the reader. it makes your hair standup.

Last edited:

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Ah. OKay. You are definitely past the part I'm thinking of, but it has been so long I'm going to butcher it. It isn't too far in the book when

Loken has his first encounter with chaos essentially. They start hearing the chattering, repeating voice come over their vox talking about Samus. The whole thing is spooky as hell and really well-written. You're kind of tense the whole time, all the way up until they finally have their fight.

Ah, I totally forgot about that part, but you're absolutely right. Pretty damn creepy, especially with all the superstition and mystery the local culture placed behind the Whisperheads.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
So any last minute predictiond for adepticon?

It looks slanesh is confirmed for AoS.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Big filthy 'told you so' to all the people online who claimed GW was ditching Slaanesh because it wasn't kid friendly, lol. They were clearly just setting the stage for a future plot for AoS.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
I never got why some people were so sure that Slaanesh was going to be squatted. In AoS the story with Aelven factions and their relationship to Slaanesh is clearly building up to be the next big story arc. Meanwhile in 40k there have been hints at Fulgrims presence ever since 8th launched. The Bile books have been building up Slaaneshs forces for a while now. Across both systems it feels like we have gotten more Slaanesh stories and characters in the last two years than we had in the previous ten.

But people kept pointing to Archeons model and plugging their ears every time this stuff got brought up. It felt like they wanted to be vindicated in the dumbest way possible.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm convention exclusive terminator librarian?

AdepticonReveals-Mar27-EventMini.60hbve.jpg

There's more stuff but Gareth does a better job of this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
New Apocalypse game:

Get ready to battle bigger, better. The new Apocalypse is a ground-up reimagining of mass battles in the 41st Millennium – a totally new ruleset designed to capture the spectacular carnage, grand strategy and high drama of Warhammer 40,000's biggest battles. With this system, you'll be able to fight in the kinds of conflicts once confined to art and lore, brought to life on your tabletop, all in an evening after work or school.

This is a totally new game, on a new scale, giving you a new way to use your existing collection. At this size of battle, the focus is not on the actions of units, but on entire formations, with the game feeling tight and reactive even with hundreds of models on each side.

And yes, those *are* Warhammer 40,000 movement trays!

We'll have more details on how you can get involved soon!

The future of 40K:
But what about Warhammer 40,000 on a more traditional scale?

With the 2nd book in the Vigilus series almost upon us (pre-order now, BTW), eyes turn to the next big thing for Warhammer 40,000 – and oh boy, have we got some good stuff coming.

Starting later this year, we'll be exploring the myriad war zones across the 41st Millennium. The battle for Vigilus was a pivotal one, but such is the dire state of the galaxy that it is just one of the war-torn planets on which the fate of the galaxy will be decided.

This war zone has brought us Primaris Marneus Calgar, the return of the Despoiler, and a huge host of Chaos Space Marines – just think what other war zones could bring…

The Big Community Survey starts April 15th, and 10 participants will receive an all new plastic Sisters of Battle squad and 1 participant will win an entire army of them: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/28/breaking-news-dark-power-unleashed/

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YES FINALLY A NEW KEEPER OF SECRETS AND IT LOOKS AMAZING! FINALLY CAN START MY SLAANESH ARMY AGAINST MY AELDARI/AELVES ARMY!

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Cool announcements! Kind of AOS focused this year but still awesome. The Slannesh models are great. I actually thought that keeper of secrets model was a painting until I scrolled down and saw the base!

Not 40k related but I'm disappointed that there is still no model for Gotrek Gurnisson for AOS yet. He would have been a great release to put along side the new Fyreslayer Battletome. I fell in love with the character after listening to the Realmslayer audio drama and I would seriously get into AOS if he ever gets a model.

Edit: I'm also disproportionately excited about plastic Furies from Warcry.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Get nailed the new slaanesh models. It's ridiculous seeing people attack the new designs, claiming gw is becoming to "PC". Then seeing people tell them how wrong they are and how it's perfectly awesome redesign for them.

I think the community is getting better!

New 40k campaigns me thinks.

Startide Nexus
Armegaddon
Ghoul stars
Webway something

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Paint pens for micro detailing would be insta grab if they work right

Like, I'd grab them.in a heart beat

Based on the video I could see them being for basecoating rather than fine detail.

I can see it being the pens more than airbrush. I think they would make more money off reproducing their entire colour range in pens costing £5 -£10 than an expensive airbrush and compressor. I would buy a few pens of my favourite colours to try out.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I would certainly be interested in any thin paint pens if they can make them work safely with their current paint range. Always been a bit wary about current markers/paint pens on the market due to the various horror stories of them bleeding the surrounding paint or generally causing a nightmare for the model.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I guess it could be the pens. But a lot of the time these announcements are less exciting than expected. Could just be a new range of sprays tbh. If they made the coloured ones primer too that would be good.

Also for god's sake backup my Paint app database via Google Cloud FFS.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
All of these announcements are so exciting but the hobby teaser is what genuinely excites me. They certainly miss sometimes, but when they release something like their lines of washes and glazes and random stuff they tend to really change the quality in general of peoples stuff.

It is also the most likely to be disappointing though, it could be a fucking paint handle or something.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah, I really like that Keeper of Secrets. The KoS has always been a bit different to a big Deamonette anyway, so him not resembling the Diaz range is fine.

The Heralds are a bit crap tbh, but I'm a big believer in converting your own heralds anyway.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Those slaanesh models are excellent.

I always felt the idea of passion and excess was wasted on a model range that mainly focused on just being sexy crab ladies. Which is fine if you're into that that but it was always wasted potential.

Here you can imagine a whole range of crazy stuff that these models might do or be into, not just sex.