• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm starting to think about Armies on Parade 2019.

Got a lot of different ideas, but I'm really struggling for something that really captures me right now.

This was my 2018 submission: (click for album)

I think I might do something with my Blood Angels this year, but I'm sort of tempted by Orks and Nids, or I've got the offer from a friend that he'll buy a bunch of Eldar I can use so long as he can have them after.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Whatever you do Mikeside, we look forward to seeing it.

I kind of hope we get no more. From a narrative perspective, it seems impropable to think no character would eventually find their death. Yet once introduced on the table top for 40k, you know they won't take them away. "Sorry, Morty is dead now. Can't use him." So, tension is removed in the books when you know certain folks have plot armor due to the game itself. Unless I'm wrong and this has happened before?

Given the timeline most of the human characters from the fall of Cadia (Greyfax and the surviving Cadian's and so on) should be pushing 200 and walking around on walking sticks.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Given the timeline most of the human characters from the fall of Cadia (Greyfax and the surviving Cadian's and so on) should be pushing 200 and walking around on walking sticks.

Meh, you can always say "the warp" to knock bits of that off, and the Imperium has always been able to radically deage or extend the lifespan of those it considers significantly important (i.e.named characters).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just finished reading Cadia Stands by Justin Hill, and lots of the senior imperial officers seem to be hitting that kind of age bracket with rejuv treatments etc. Seeing as a lot of the main characters have relatively high social status, it doesn't seem unusual for them, at least.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever you do Mikeside, we look forward to seeing it.

Didn't stop Inquisitor Kryptman from kicking for 200+ years.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I really REALLY despise priming models. Primed a few of them tonight for my player's characters for my Wrath & Glory campaign and checked on them a few hours later and all of them were fine except one. Like half of the primer had clumped and cracked and just looked awful. I haven't a clue what I did wrong, I primed it the same way I did the others and they were all fine. It wasn't even humid out and I just left them to dry in my basement. But noooooo the one little bastard decided to be a temperamental shit-stain and not dry properly. I'm tempted to get a fucking air brush solely just for priming to mitigate this problem. I'm getting real sick of wasting money on models just for them to be ruined by no mistake of my own.

I would ask if anyone knows a way to get primer off a model but I smashed the model to bits in a fit of rage so whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
I really REALLY despise priming models. Primed a few of them tonight for my player's characters for my Wrath & Glory campaign and checked on them a few hours later and all of them were fine except one. Like half of the primer had clumped and cracked and just looked awful. I haven't a clue what I did wrong, I primed it the same way I did the others and they were all fine. It wasn't even humid out and I just left them to dry in my basement. But noooooo the one little bastard decided to be a temperamental shit-stain and not dry properly. I'm tempted to get a fucking air brush solely just for priming to mitigate this problem. I'm getting real sick of wasting money on models just for them to be ruined by no mistake of my own.

I would ask if anyone knows a way to get primer off a model but I smashed the model to bits in a fit of rage so whatever.

This is why I would love to own an airbrush. Never reliant on if it's raining or humidity levels, or just if it's a duff can of spray or whatever.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I remember I had a can of white spray that coated a small army in paint bubbles back in the day. Heartbreaking after a couple of days of prep and building kits, pinning heavy pieces etc. To this day I test everything on small areas and offcuts of plastic first.

Oct 26, 2017
I just had a can of gold primer go bad and bury Custodes in primer. Luckily, I had a huge container of LAs Totally Awesome I bought on Amazon months ago for stripping models. I put Custodes in zip lock bag with it and let it sit 48 hours then went to town with a toothbrush. Took just about most of the primer off.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
So the GW's community survey is up at Warhammer Community.

Feel like they didn't quite ask the "right" questions this time. I mean, the things I personally feel like giving them feedback as a customer.

Well, there was one open "anything else" type question at the end, but in the end I wish there were more places to
complain about the way they introduced primaris marines, ask why everything is mono pose nowadays and beg for plastic aspect warriors
lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't watched that video yet but we're talking about a chapter that's said such an emphatic 'lol no' to the Codex Astartes that they have actual feral mutants in their ranks and routinely ride giant Xenos/Mutated Astartes (depending on how you look at them) into battle. The Sixth Legion gives not a single fuck.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
latest

BLPreOrdersOct14-Image3ur.jpg

who would win this fight? :)

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I've always found Sanguinus design weird because the blood drop motif looks so similar to the "eye of chaos" you see a lot on chaos figures. For a long time I didn't actually realise it wasn't a chaos device...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I read Deathwatch (by Steve Parker) last week, and found the way it touches on the secrets of the members detached from each Astartes chapter quite interesting. They effectively all have a psychic block stopping them (and particularly librarians) revealing/scrying each other's secrets, which is just as well when so many have some dubious ones. It's cool that, of the main team, half of them are from chapters that haven't had much coverage, particularly the Exorcists and Death Spectres of the 13th founding. It's a shame the second half of the book is a rerun of Aliens, when the lore aspect of it was so much more interesting. Still, you've gotta have bolters and Xenos monsters in a Deathwatch story, I suppose!

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
I read Deathwatch (by Steve Parker) last week, and found the way it touches on the secrets of the members detached from each Astartes chapter quite interesting. They effectively all have a psychic block stopping them (and particularly librarians) revealing/scrying each other's secrets, which is just as well when so many have some dubious ones. It's cool that, of the main team, half of them are from chapters that haven't had much coverage, particularly the Exorcists and Death Spectres of the 13th founding.
I quite liked Deathwatch, keep hoping we'll get another sequel with those characters.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I quite liked Deathwatch, keep hoping we'll get another sequel with those characters.
The sequel, Shadowbreaker, is out in October. Just as well as there were lots of unresolved plot points!
I quite liked seeing the Ordo Xenos doing the investigating before the Astartes get sent in too, that seemed quite appropriate for how the organisations work, while also making it clear that being the chamber militant of an Inquisitorial Order doesn't mean your interests 100% align. Honestly, the conspiratorial bickering between Imperial organisations is one of my favourite parts of the setting :D

https://www.amazon.com/Deathwatch-Shadowbreaker-Steve-Parker/dp/1781939632

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't, no. Seen them on Amazon but they seem a bit overpriced individually. Kinda wish I picked up the Deathwatch anthology that has them but I got the paperback with just Parker's novel for pence so I can't complain!

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
seeing as Avengers: Endgame is coming out soon and its going to be epic in scale

how come we can't get a Horus Heresy movie?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I really struggle with the Horus Heresy. I love it's broad strokes as a cosmic myth cycle that is both a 'war in heaven' and the catalyst that left most of the loyalist primarchs as the 'Arthurian hero sleeping under the mountain, awaiting the nation's darkest hour', but I think it works better as a setting than a story. I love reading about how the utopian march across the stars fell to ruin amidst human jealousy and chaos in our very hearts, but there's 50+ books now and I don't think anyone could sit through the level of background on 20 space marine legions and primarchs (to to mention the other imperial factions) on film required to really make a grand finale work. Lack of female characters, constant darkness, too many marines being very similar by nature. Also the huge length of HH means taking the lore seriously and pushing the satire and social commentary on bureaucracy, religion, totalitarianism etc that underpins a lot of what I love about 40k into the background. I think that's why I prefer the 40k setting than 30k- all the weirdness of the decaying, techno-religious Imperium that has forgotten almost everything is in place, servo-skulls and arco-flagellants and tech priests and all, and that's the singular main character.

Maybe that's just me though, I got bored with the books after a dozen or so and wished they'd then moved on to the Emperor's palace by that point. I say that as someone that has been a fan of the Dark Angels and various other 40k weirdness, parody and references to this, that and the other since the late 80s.

What I did think was cool was Robbie G's return, as the idea of a literal angel being both the 'only sane man' and actually doubting his father (that everyone else worships as a sort of corpse-god) has kinda renewed my interest in the 'contemporary' 40k setting as he 'rediscovers' everything.

How do you think HH on film could work? I think you could start with a fairly upbeat film about the golden age to set out what they lost in the first film, then move on to the dropsite massacres, open Heresy etc over several films before concluding with the palace. I'd probably prefer to see it adapted as a TV series to be honest, it needs a lot of time to flesh out so many main players, but the budget required...

What I do think would be wonderful would be a police procedural based on Chris Wraight or Dan Abnett's inquisitor books. Smaller scale, investigative stories with the sci-fi horror theme, just a handful of characters so more room for imperial weirdness. The Carrion Throne', as a novel set on earth in 40k, was the most evocative 40k fiction I've read in years.

Last edited:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
What I do think would be wonderful would be a police procedural based on Chris Wraight or Dan Abnett's inquisitor books. Smaller scale, investigative stories with the sci-fi horror theme, just a handful of characters so more room for imperial weirdness. The Carrion Throne', as a novel set on earth in 40k, was the most evocative 40k fiction I've read in years.
Been saying it before, I'd love a movie set in the 40K universe focusing in a Inquisitor, a band of Imperial Guards or something that doesn't quite go into the full insane extent of everything 40K. A movie based on Eisenhorn would be perfect. Or Cain. Or Gaunt. Something to start off with that, if they would bring in a Space Marine at some point, could convey the feeling of meeting one of the Astartes as a human, before they would go on making the inevitable live action Smurf movie.

And intro to "this is how shit life is for humans, welcome."

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Everyone here post a picture or gif of Robbie G's reaction when he first saw the modern state of Imperium when he was revived in 40K

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Been saying it before, I'd love a movie set in the 40K universe focusing in a Inquisitor, a band of Imperial Guards or something that doesn't quite go into the full insane extent of everything 40K. A movie based on Eisenhorn would be perfect. Or Cain. Or Gaunt. Something to start off with that, if they would bring in a Space Marine at some point, could convey the feeling of meeting one of the Astartes as a human, before they would go on making the inevitable live action Smurf movie.

And intro to "this is how shit life is for humans, welcome."
That's a really good point, you need the human POV before you shift to the Astartes.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
ngl, kinda excited about the rumored potential imperial fist codex and return of dorn.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
That's a really good point, you need the human POV before you shift to the Astartes.
Yeah, it's why I quite love the Astartes youtube series that someone's been making. Unlike the Ultramarine movie, they become something else entirely when they don't have any speech, any face to look at, any personality to gauge but are entirely put up in comparison to "ordinary" humans.

In the Ultramarine movie the Astartes came to look like more or less just larger-than-average people in power armor because there was no real comparison to what an ordinary person was within the same universe. These short films makes it very, veeeeeeery clear that they are on a level that can be ascribed to something above human, demigods in a sense.

That I think is a much better introduction. Set the baseline of what we, the human viewers, are in this universe and then just orbital drop it to death with what the Astartes are to really set the tone. Make them larger than life, hard to understand etc.

ngl, kinda excited about the rumored potential imperial fist codex and return of dorn.
tenor.gif

(Still hope for a return of Vulkan)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, it's why I quite love the Astartes youtube series that someone's been making. Unlike the Ultramarine movie, they become something else entirely when they don't have any speech, any face to look at, any personality to gauge but are entirely put up in comparison to "ordinary" humans.

In the Ultramarine movie the Astartes came to look like more or less just larger-than-average people in power armor because there was no real comparison to what an ordinary person was within the same universe. These short films makes it very, veeeeeeery clear that they are on a level that can be ascribed to something above human, demigods in a sense.

That I think is a much better introduction. Set the baseline of what we, the human viewers, are in this universe and then just orbital drop it to death with what the Astartes are to really set the tone. Make them larger than life, hard to understand etc.

tenor.gif

I want to see Lion'el Johnson come back. His outward reaction to what the Dangles have been up to would be a poker-face blank expression, but inside he'd be screaming.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I think Johnson and Russ would be the easiest and they could do it and be pretty safe.

I think the books really go out and say that post the Beast Imperial Fists aren't Dorns imperial Fists (with you know all those wall titles), and the fact that Dorn's successor chapters are pretty much built out like a legion and we have apocalypse upcoming. So its a really a chance to fluff out the Fists while I think the Dark Angels and Wolves are in good shape thematic wise.

I would love chapter upgrade kits for all foudning chapters though.

Last edited:

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK

tenor.gif

I'm so impatient for more Astartes. Top quality work.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017

I have only just recently started reading Dan Abnett's Inquisitor books (final Ravenor one now) and odd as it seems I always thought that something based on the Ian Watson Inquisitor books (which is what the Inquisitor game was based on, which is what Dan Abnetts books were based on) would be the best setting for a film. Always thought Ian Watsons story was a bit mangled, but the world building was fantastic. Really shocked it has taken me this long to getting round to reading them, as I loved Gaunts Ghosts.

Oh and for the Heresey Books, yeah I struggled on to about 20 before giving up years ago. I listened to the Dan Abnett Voxcast and he kind of addresses it, the fact that the first few all follow on and have a coherent thread keeps it really interesting. Then they just started using 30k as a setting and writing any number of books for it (so I think they become very hit and miss(mostly miss)) So now that they are going back to a final thread for the Seige of Terra, it makes me want to catch up, but some of those books were bad.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
could the Horus Heresy film trilogy work MCU style?

I've often thought this. Years ago you'd never have thought Marvel comic book movies would become the monster Box Office draw that they are today. Surely the same can be said about other "niche" genres. They just need marketed correctly, written well and directed competently with a modest budget.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
You need a crapload of background on the various characters and the universe before tackling the Heresy itself.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I've often thought this. Years ago you'd never have thought Marvel comic book movies would become the monster Box Office draw that they are today. Surely the same can be said about other "niche" genres. They just need marketed correctly, written well and directed competently with a modest budget.

In theory it could work, but unlike Marvel it would suffer from not having characters that are culturally recognisable in their own right.

If the first film is not good and is not capable as standing alone by itself, it would never take off.