• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I missed the announcement of the third series of gacha space marines, this time as Death Guard. And judging by the text I guess GW noticed people imported these from Japan like mad and decided to sell these worldwide.

How do custodes train? do they just chill in the Imperial palace all day?

They certainly honed their entrances over the millenia.

Last edited:

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Curious to see whether they drop any bombs tomorrow.

Also lol at them feeling the need to explain what "chibi" means.

WOLFTIME?

latest

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Huh, I missed the announcement of the third series of gacha space marines, this time as Death Guard. And judging by the text I guess GW noticed people imported these from Japan like mad and decided to sell these worldwide.
Missed a few updates myself, Nurgle had me in his loving grasp for a bit, lol. Pretty excited for tomorrow, and definitely getting that 7 inch Marine model!

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
So you guys know about how the Mechanicus believes the Omnissiah/Machine God is The Emperor

The Man of Iron in the recent Black Fortress game implies that the Emperor and the Omnissiah are two distinct entities

""I have met the Omnissiah. The actual one, not the Earthling corpse. He would find you extremely disappointing. "

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So you guys know about how the Mechanicus believes the Omnissiah/Machine God is The Emperor

The Man of Iron in the recent Black Fortress game implies that the Emperor and the Omnissiah are two distinct entities

""I have met the Omnissiah. The actual one, not the Earthling corpse. He would find you extremely disappointing. "
The Machine God and the Omnissiah aren't the same thing, in the cult understanding or the eyes of their theological rivals.

The Cult Mechanicus don't think the Emperor is the Machine God. They have a kind of holy trinity.
1) The Machine God- as the ultimate expression of knowledge, is claimed to be a benevolent, benign god that looks favourably on humanity. The founding of this cult pre-dates the Emperor.
2) The Omnissiah- is it's physical avatar that they were waiting for, and as the Emperor reunited humanity after the Age of Strife, and both factions opposed those oft-mentioned 'techno-barbarians', fragments of the cult recognised the Emperor as that. It led to the treaty and co-dependence of Mars and Terra. I've often thought it's a bit like a Roman Christian telling a Celtic Pagan 'your Spring fertility festival is the same day our saviour was resurrected, they must be linked!' as both point swords at each other's hearts, it's all very, very convenient and makes for all manner of other interesting schisms and conflicts (although to be fair the interests and wellbeing of both parties are largely intertwined and a 10,000 year religious alliance in human history is hardly to be sniffed at) . It makes a lot of sense that AI, seen as a sentience without a soul by the cult, at little risk from warpcraft and predating the Emperor, would find the idea that he is the Omnissiah of the Deus Mechanicus a bit of a joke.
3) The Motive Force- is essentially physics, power, motion, electricity etc. The physical manifestation of what makes the machine world work. This is the aspect the Electro Priests worship.

I was pleased to see them bring the Men of Iron back though. Funny how many great 40k mysteries are down to writers laying seeds of a sentence or two thirty years ago, leaving room for players and writers to expand on later. That's the appeal of the setting, I think, that you can find a dark corner of the galaxy no one else has touched and expand on it. Give it another decade and those 'techno-barbarians' conquered by the Emperor will turn out to have been deluded ancient minions of whatever new great enemy they cook up :D

Another thing I like about the cult is that the Machine God's sacred number is 12, (hence the number of teeth on the cog icon), a number with a lot of mythological and religious significance as well as it's mathematical properties.

Last edited:

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
The Machine God and the Omnissiah aren't the same thing, in the cult understanding or the eyes of their theological rivals.

The Cult Mechanicus don't think the Emperor is the Machine God. They have a kind of holy trinity.
The Machine God- as the ultimate expression of knowledge, is a benevolent, benign god that looks favourably on humanity. The founding of this cult pre-dates the Emperor.
The Omnissiah is it's physical avatar that they were waiting for, and as the Emperor reunited humanity, fragments of the cult recognised the Emperor as that, something that led to the treaty and co-dependence of Mars and Terra. I've often thought it's a bit like a Roman Christian telling a Celtic Pagan 'your Spring fertility festival is the same day our saviour was born, they must be linked!' as both point swords at each other's hearts, it's all very, very convenient and makes for all manner of other interesting schisms and conflicts.
The Motive Force is essentially physics, power, motion, electricity etc. The physical manifestation of what makes the machine world work.

I was pleased to see them bring the Men of Iron back though. Funny how many great 40k mysteries are down to writers laying seeds of a sentence or two thirty years ago, leaving room for players and writers to expand on later. That's the appeal of the setting, I think, that you can find a dark corner of the galaxy no one else has touched and expand on it.

agreed, like the Dark Age of Technology is such a fascinating period for me in 40k lore. just the name of it "The Dark Age of Technology" like you would think those are almost oxymoronic in a way

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
agreed, like the Dark Age of Technology is such a fascinating period for me in 40k lore. just the name of it "The Dark Age of Technology" like you would think those are almost oxymoronic in a way
Absolutely, it's why I keep coming back to it. There's been odd nuggets of lore, art or minis etc that appealed to me enough to have me build and paint whole armies in the past.

Off the top of my head- the HR Giger inspired look of the large heads of the Eldar Dreadnought/wraithguard, giving a big flat surface for the heart-and-thorns designs for the Biel-Tan Craftworld. It's broken in the lore now but really captured my imagination in the early 90s, along with the art from their Codex cover. I'd plan out all vehicle markings, even jetbikes, on paper first in painstaking detail. Same goes for the Dark Angels- I wasn't too interested until the third edition Codex: Angels of Death came out along with the minis of Azrael, Ezekiel etc, and they just summed up the army for me, all monks robes, books in chains and general weirdness. Painted my Space Hulk models up as Deathwing and never looked back :D

The Soriatas Exorcist is another one for me, just something that sums up everything crazy about the faction and the Imperium as a whole weird religion/tech blend.

The Dark Millenium setting has pulled me back in, as Roboute's quotes in Guy Haley's books give a fresh take on the setting. Also Chris Wraight's books set on Terra, it's been fascinating to see someone outline what a shrineworld so commonly described as this great maw needing an insatiable supply of food and dead psykers to keep going is actually like on the ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Contrast paints, 1 thick coat to paint your minis:

Contrast is a new type of paint designed to make awesome results accessible to anyone, fast. With Contrast, you'll have everything you get from a Base and Shade, but in a single application and a single coat.

Contrast is more than just a new paint though – it's a whole new way to approach painting. For those after a Battle Ready finish, the Contrast Method has been devised to make awesome results easily attainable for absolutely anyone. You'll be able to get your models ready for the tabletop in no time.

Contrast is designed to be super simple to use. If you've ever wanted to tackle a hundreds-strong horde of Orks, a Hive Fleet's worth of Tyranids or a skeletal horde that'd impress Nagash himself, but never thought you could get them all painted, Contrast is for you. If you've got a tournament in two weeks and just need to add the latest unit to your army, Contrast is for you. If you're just looking to save some time and get gaming, Contrast is for you.

For you experienced painters, Contrast is a new weapon in your arsenal. It has distinctive properties and flow, both of which are unlike anything you've used before. On its own, it's a great time saver – but combined with the rest of the Citadel paint range, it's got incredible potential. Blending, glazes, and smooth gradients are easier to achieve than ever, and to help you experiment with this new paint, we'll also be launching a new Contrast Medium which gives pros even more opportunities to play with this new paint's unique properties. And with dozens of Contrast colours at launch, the sky's the limit.

Fest2019-Sat10-ContrastPaintPots2ujcde.jpg

Fest2019-Sat10-Flowchart4ujd.jpg

Fest2019-Sat10-ContrastPoster3ujcs.jpg

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Those contrast paints look good, worth trying out at least. I like the way they suggest it's for getting models on the field quickly, but it also adds an option for those looking to experiment with the rest of the range. It's the sort of thing I'd use to get basic troops sorted rather than something I'd use on centrepiece models, the act of painting and blending and highlighting carefully is part of the fun on those for me.

Presumably the tank silhouette is the Skitarii APC

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
AFAIK sometime after the return of Guilliman she died at the hands of Khârn the Betrayer when defending a hive world from a Chaos invasion, not sure if she's come back since then...
That was in Shroud of Night by Andy Clark, I think.

The sequel, Celestine, is out in hardback now and then paperback later this year, summary below.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43613742-celestine

I wouldn't be surprised if the Soriatas release updates her most recent 'death'/manifestation too.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

Apocalypse main rules in the box set, army rules free online at launch:
Fest2019-Sat12-ApocRules30hhce.jpg

Repulsor Executioner:

Fest2019-Sat12-Executioner1tjs.jpg

Fest2019-Sat12-Executioner2ujcsf.jpg

Skorpius Dunerider:
Fest2019-Sat12-Dunerider1kjcw.jpg

Fest2019-Sat12-Dunerider2tw.jpg

Skorpius Disintegrator:
Fest2019-Sat12-Disintegrator1jc.jpg

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The roses on the base are a lovely touch. I know it's based on artwork but she looks a little unbalanced to me, leaning to the left with that classic-pattern bolter. Still, power armour compensates for that, I suppose :D

I do like the deep-red and cream colour scheme of their mechanicus vehicles.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That White Scars dread and the jetbikes are cool

Love the callback to the old metal early 90s landspeeder too.

Last edited:

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Chaos Knights look lovely. Was half expecting them to just be the regular Knights with a spikey upgrade spruce but the final things look far more bespoke. Plus they're getting a codex, loving it all the way.

Oct 26, 2017
I just started a new army with intention of using my Knight in with DG. I wonder if with new Renegade Knights if I have to use those models moving forward and can't just use my regular ones.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I just started a new army with intention of using my Knight in with DG. I wonder if with new Renegade Knights if I have to use those models moving forward and can't just use my regular ones.

Nah, no one's gonna have a problem with that. A knight is still a Knight after all. There's a difference between painting up for example loyalist marine models as chaos marines than claiming tau models are chaos marines.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
are we ever going to get Chaos Custodes?

I think Chaos are highly unlikely to get Custodes as it goes against their nature, a bit like Grey Knights- both have the Emperor's geneseed.

What I could see Chaos getting (and I think it's a long shot) is hyper-elite, mutated/possessed Terminator formations on a similar power level, as a bodyguard for command units/Daemon primarchs etc. Having said that, it's not like Chaos is short on strong melee choices.

I like that Chaos and the Imperial forces don't always have equivalents of each other's more unique/rare units though.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Though it's supposed to replace it, I'd be very interested to see how the contrast points looks in conjunction with shaders and hilights.

Based on those images it looks amazing for flesh or fabric.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I thought this interview with Chris Wraight, about how the authors are approaching The Siege of Terra as a kind of mini-series to finish off the Horus Heresy, was really interesting.

He talks about it being a jumping-on point, but also some insight into the primarchs themselves, and while the main plot beats already exist and they hope to do them justice, they hope to explore stuff that hasn't been looked at in detail before. The nature of the warp, the metaphysical battle as well as the physical one. A good watch with no spoilers for anyone interested in general 40k lore really. Also how they've used mortal perspectives alongside marines and demigods, and a note on links between Terra in 30k and how he describes it in his books set in 40k, as a fan of those this was interesting.

Oct 26, 2017
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I thought this interview with Chris Wraight, about how the authors are approaching The Siege of Terra as a kind of mini-series to finish off the Horus Heresy, was really interesting.

He talks about it being a jumping-on point, but also some insight into the primarchs themselves, and while the main plot beats already exist and they hope to do them justice, they hope to explore stuff that hasn't been looked at in detail before. The nature of the warp, the metaphysical battle as well as the physical one. A good watch with no spoilers for anyone interested in general 40k lore really. Also how they've used mortal perspectives alongside marines and demigods, and a note on links between Terra in 30k and how he describes it in his books set in 40k, as a fan of those this was interesting.

Is there any idea when the battle on Tera will conclude? Next year or later?

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
where do you guys want Black Library to go after the Heresy?

do you want them to do Age of Terra series (Unification Wars) Dark Age of Technology, Age of Strife, Age of Apostasy, Nova-Terra Interegnum etc. etc.

what period would you want to see

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the Skitarii transport. Maybe it'll grow on me, but for now FWs offerings seem a lot nicer.

where do you guys want Black Library to go after the Heresy?

do you want them to do Age of Terra series (Unification Wars) Dark Age of Technology, Age of Strife, Age of Apostasy, Nova-Terra Interegnum etc. etc.

what period would you want to see

90% chance that it'll be the Scouring.