• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I'll be following the tests of those Contrast paints with great interest!

So far this Warhammer Fest really doesn't dissapoint!

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
So what are the main races that have a connection to chaos/warp and which ones have no warp prescense?

Necrons have no psychic presence whatsoever (no souls) so can't use the warp. They hate it anyway and of all factions have the best capacity to counter the warp.

Even the C'tan were weak to the warp, as though they were truly godlike in their power over physics and the material universe, destroying solar systems and the like with little effort during The War in Heaven, they had an entirely material essence and had no defence against the immaterium.

While some in the Imperium might see the virtue of using Pylons and the like to counter the warp, they can't deny it's use for space travel and keep the empire together. Necrons use Inertialess Drive to travel great distances across the galaxy so there's no downside for them.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Horus Heresy book 9 minis:
Fest2019-Sat13-HeresyDAPraetor3iujkd.jpg

Fest2019-Sat13-HeresyDAPraetor1jcd.jpg

Fest2019-Sat13-HeresyDALeviathan2ujcsd.jpg

Fest2019-Sat13-HeresyDAleviathan4wx.jpg

Fest2019-Sat13-HeresyArmiger1jjcd.jpg

Fest2019-Sat13-HeresyArmiger2ijcd.jpg

Fest2019-Sat13-HeresyArmiger6jhnvd.jpg
Fest2019-Sat13-HeresyArmiger5ujfe.jpg

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Those Dark Angel models are great, love all the detail. Lots of references to medieval heraldry in their Caliban origins, the keys glyph, the Lion rampant, maybe a few Bretonnia fans in the art team :D

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Battle Sister plastic sprue:
Thanks for that, Gareth.

I'm hoping to find one of those to give me something to work with when I'm coming up with a colour scheme for the Soriatas force I'm thinking of.

I wonder if they'll end up putting it on white dwarf as a promotional piece for the army or something like that.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
When I get mind I'm gonna give them a mix of silver with gold rimming, so it looks like embroidered Knight armor of old.

DP271140.jpg
ce53cc2e-bca4-51e9-b173-292a7884201b_grande.jpg
81gUQR5UXwL._SY879_.jpg
That sounds like a great idea!

I'm similarly looking for inspiration in medieval stuff. Am considering a quartered colour scheme of bone and black (with red sashes and details), as it'll make the banners and rhino-based vehicles stand out once I then reverse a quartered fleur-de-lys out of it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That sounds like a great idea!

I'm similarly looking for inspiration in medieval stuff. Am considering a quartered colour scheme of bone and black (with red sashes and details), as it'll make the banners and rhino-based vehicles stand out once I then reverse a quartered fleur-de-lys out of it.

That sounds like a good way to do it. I'm always interested in quartered color schemes.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
No problem, I read a lot and listen to audiobooks when I have the chance. I'm here to answer questions.
Why is Russ so arrogant? Here is his conversation with Loken when asked if he could defeat Horus in a fight in Wolfsbane

The wolf king burst out laughing. 'Again you surprise me. You are a bold one, Garviel Loken, in being so honest. Now, the most important thing you must tell me.' Russ leaned forwards in his throne, his eyes narrowed. 'Can I kill him? Can I kill the Warmaster?' Before Loken had time to answer, Russ went on. 'In the old days, in the Crusade, I thought I could best most of my brothers. Maybe not Sanguinious. In him there is a fine blend of skill and fury. He is a baresark in angel's garb. Or the Night Haunter, for he has the heedless power of the insane. But the others...Angron? He's too angry. Fulgrim? He shrugged. 'Too proud. Perturabo and dorn are too stolid. Guilliman is too stern to enjoy battle and so I would beat him too. Lorgar I could spit on and that would drop him into the dirt, he's so weak from all that kneeling. Alpharius is a wretched serpent. And we all know what had happened to the great sorcerer of prospero. The rest I could defeat as easily as this'. He snapped his fingers. 'Horus though,' he grimaced. 'Put it one to one, I could have beaten him. It would have been hard, and close fought, and had fortune favoured him over me, he would have triumphed. But the feat was within my grasp. So tell me, Garviel Loken, is it now? Can I still kill him?' "

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why is Russ so arrogant? Here is his conversation with Loken when asked if he could defeat Horus in a fight in Wolfsbane

The wolf king burst out laughing. 'Again you surprise me. You are a bold one, Garviel Loken, in being so honest. Now, the most important thing you must tell me.' Russ leaned forwards in his throne, his eyes narrowed. 'Can I kill him? Can I kill the Warmaster?' Before Loken had time to answer, Russ went on. 'In the old days, in the Crusade, I thought I could best most of my brothers. Maybe not Sanguinious. In him there is a fine blend of skill and fury. He is a baresark in angel's garb. Or the Night Haunter, for he has the heedless power of the insane. But the others...Angron? He's too angry. Fulgrim? He shrugged. 'Too proud. Perturabo and dorn are too stolid. Guilliman is too stern to enjoy battle and so I would beat him too. Lorgar I could spit on and that would drop him into the dirt, he's so weak from all that kneeling. Alpharius is a wretched serpent. And we all know what had happened to the great sorcerer of prospero. The rest I could defeat as easily as this'. He snapped his fingers. 'Horus though,' he grimaced. 'Put it one to one, I could have beaten him. It would have been hard, and close fought, and had fortune favoured him over me, he would have triumphed. But the feat was within my grasp. So tell me, Garviel Loken, is it now? Can I still kill him?' "
I've often thought it's the nature of the wolf pack, that they want to know exactly where their place is within it. Perhaps he viewed his brothers as a loose pack of sorts with the Emperor at the head, which is why he's so combative and concerned with who he could defeat. This is entirely my own imagination rather than anything backed up with regard to his personality traits in the books, maybe as the head of a legion and the king of a warrior culture in a war for the soul of the galaxy, it's entirely a valid question! :D

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
That quote reveals everything you need to know about what an idiot Russ is. Half of the primaries on that list would never fight him one to one. Instead they'd use these weird inventions called 'strategy' and 'tactics' to ensure he lost well before that point.

And Prospero was a travesty!

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
That quote reveals everything you need to know about what an idiot Russ is. Half of the primaries on that list would never fight him one to one. Instead they'd use these weird inventions called 'strategy' and 'tactics' to ensure he lost well before that point.

And Prospero was a travesty!
Sangunious would fight him 1 on 1 and i think would defeat Russ gracefully :)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Also, he clicks his fingers at 'the rest', conveniently putting the Lion in there. That seems a little optimistic, but hey, that's Russ for you :D

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
The thing with Russ is that a lot of it is performative. He has an indoor and an outdoor voice, if you catch my meaning. Fuck that guy though, Magnus did nothing wrong.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I might just ask ask a few questions here.

I'm looking at getting back into painting miniatures and playing tabletop wargames later this year. I haven't played or painted anything for around five years or so, and the last game of 40k I played would have been either 4th or 5th edition , around 14 years ago or so.

While I've built and painted armies for WFB and 40k and other systems in the past, mostly in the 90s and early 00s, this time around my time is much more limited due to having a young family. I no longer have a gaming club nearby and so I'll be playing far more rarely, and really am more interested in the painting/modelling/scenery building anyway (it's always been quite good for my mental health as a general relaxation hobby that's also constructive).

The Adeptus Soriatas is what I'm looking at as the miniatures will be new to me (I've painted a whole Dark Angel battle company and a couple of hundred IG in the past) and to some extent I can repurpose my Bretonnia bits box for scenery, bases etc. Am also interested in the Adeptus Mechanicus.

For now, do I just pick up the rulebook? Are the indexes obsolete if I'm planning on picking up the army with the new codex? Perhaps it's worth picking up the Chapter Approved book with the Beta list to get my head around how it will link up with the rules?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated- I've always kept up with the books and background, but am a bit out of touch with the practical side of the hobby.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say take a look at the beta codex that came out earlier in the year. I have no idea what the general feedback to it was so I can't tell if there will be big differences with the final version or not.

For now, do I just pick up the rulebook? Are the indexes obsolete if I'm planning on picking up the army with the new codex? Perhaps it's worth picking up the Chapter Approved book with the Beta list to get my head around how it will link up with the rules?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated- I've always kept up with the books and background, but am a bit out of touch with the practical side of the hobby.

The core rulebook / copy of the core rules are what you need + a specific army codex. The indexes were a stopgap until all armies had a codex. Codexes always add not just new stats but faction-specific game mechanics not found in the indexes.

Each year's Chapter Approved has supplemental game types, battle plans, and optional systems (example: current CA has a growth system for promoting units with XP). If you want to study beta Sisters rules there's some extra value to having a Chapter Approved edition.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Redcrayon If you are only looking to get the hang of the core rules of the game, I suggest getting one of the quick rule sheets from the starter kits like First Strike. 8th edition is not that complicated, rules vise. For the unit profiles, you could get Battlescribe (mobile or desktop) to see how the units are in the beta.

Then, when they release their new line of Sororitas, you can go all in. :)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Lovely, thanks everyone :)

I was talking to an old friend of mine that I used to play against regularly back in the day. We still just tend to read the books and swap them with each other afterwards. I said that I was considering painting up a small force of Soriatas to get back into the habit (pun intended). He said 'but they always get shot to bits in the books!'. I replied 'yeah, that's pretty much how most of my armies end up so to be honest it's a feeling of solidarity!.' :D

Have still never really gotten over my Dark Angels army joining a large game on the Imperial side, having everyone convince me that a mass Deathwing teleport strike to wipe out the enemy artillery would be a good bet, and then having teleport accidents killing 75% of my detachment during deployment...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd say 'nids because 10,000 years of warfare with the minions of chaos has led to endless back-and-forth, planets lost, retaken. It's a sort of constant warfare the Administratum is used to in it's inefficient way. Sure, the chaos gods will continue to exist and be a threat as long as humanity exist, but they are ultimately a sort of twisted, darker mirror of the Imperium itself. The tyranids just strip-mine organic matter and the first tyrannic war only ended relatively recently (in 40k terms) with Hive Fleet Behemoth defeated at Macragge thanks to Calgar, Kryptmann and co in 745.m41. That's only a few hundred years of warfare. In that time, various incursions since like Leviathan have also destroyed swathes of the Imperium, and the 'nids keep coming from outside the galaxy. I don't think 10,000 years of continued tyrannic incursions will leave much of anything behind, of any faction, something I'm sure groups like the Ordo Xenos, the Deathwatch, veteran Ultramarines and Craftworld Aliatoc are only too aware of.

While they might be running from something, or perhaps have stripmined neighbouring galaxies already, my own theory is that they are drawn to psychic phenomena like the Eye of Terror, the Astronomicon etc, like moths to a light, and the birth of Slaanesh/Eye opening was like a dinner bell. It just took them thousands of years to cross the void. Perhaps such phenomena screams 'navigation point' and 'psychic events mean there's probably some organic life around here' to the hive mind.

Last edited:

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Then you got Tyranids forces fighting against the Blood Angels and Baal and all the planets that were destroyed by Dante or the Hive Fleets.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the bigger Threat to the Imperium is Chaos or Tyranids?
I would say Chaos because they are the arguably the only major faction that actually want the Imperium dead and humanity enslaved. Tyranids are just hungry, Orks just want to fight, Tau want to extend their empire and GSC want the Tyranids. Necrons and Eldar are a little more complex but I don't think either are actively trying to destroy the Imperium, just not afraid to attack it if it gets in their way. That said Chaos is not a unified force at all so their goals are as mad and varied as the rest of the universes., but in general they are more anti-Imperium then any other faction and that makes them a much bigger threat then any other group.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Then you got Tyranids forces fighting against the Blood Angels and Baal and all the planets that were destroyed by Dante or the Hive Fleets.
Dante and Devastation of Baal are my next read :-) I wonder if the 'nids eat irradiated planets and think 'this one's a bit off'

While I think the 'nids are a bigger threat long term, I think GW will always focus on Chaos. The Fallen primarchs provide a family connection, and the warring chaos gods and legions mirrors the infighting of Imperial factions too. It's just more interesting to write with all these characters than can plan and gloat and ally and betray each other. The 'nids make for cool hopeless battle scenes as a change of pace though, and the scenes of their chimneys sending up matter as they strip worlds, forcing the imperials to destroy habitable worlds to deny them material, does make such a final, credible threat to all life feel even worse than military tactical retreats.

Last edited: