• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have not read Dante but Devastation of Baal is a good read.
I don't think I've read much Blood Angel stuff since the original Angels of Death Codex in 2nd edition. Where they released Mephiston and Dante, and Tycho got his new model with the half-facemask following injuries in a WD battle report!

I've heard it's good though, and Dante is by the same author so thought it would be a good prequel to it to get me up to speed on everyone's favourite flappy vampires.

Oct 31, 2017
I can't remember who mentioned it in this thread, but I read The Carrion Throne based on your recommendation and really enjoyed it - a pitch perfect evocation of the general awfullnes and weirdness of 40k. Cheers!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can't remember who mentioned it in this thread, but I read The Carrion Throne based on your recommendation and really enjoyed it - a pitch perfect evocation of the general awfullnes and weirdness of 40k. Cheers!
That may have been me as I've written several posts about it :-) I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's a very evocative thriller, I love the way Inquisitor books are like weird police procedurals! I'm looking forward to the sequel, The Hollow Mountain.

Oct 31, 2017
That may have been me as I've written several posts about it :-) I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's a very evocative thriller, I love the way Inquisitor books are like weird police procedurals! I'm looking forward to the sequel, The Hollow Mountain.

Nice one! I didn't know there was a sequel in the works, but I'm glad to hear it. As you say Carrion Throne is essentially a police procedural, but its bloody well done and gets what makes 40k interesting. I genuinley laughed when one of the acolytes finds a popular romance novel during a search called
My Wish to Generate Children with You is Only Exceeded by My Devotion to Him , which is set on the 'paradise world' of Krieg, that place known for a level of grimdark excessive even by 40k standards

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nice one! I didn't know there was a sequel in the works, but I'm glad to hear it. As you say Carrion Throne is essentially a police procedural, but its bloody well done and gets what makes 40k interesting. I genuinley laughed when one of the acolytes finds a popular romance novel during a search called
My Wish to Generate Children with You is Only Exceeded by My Devotion to Him , which is set on the 'paradise world' of Krieg, that place known for a level of grimdark excessive even by 40k standards
This reminds me of the humour in some of their 'Regimental Standard' community posts. While obviously the gags are there to sell model kits, it's that knowing look at grim Imperial weirdness that means I usually check it out. One of my faves:
Will you check out Manufactorum Hub Delta-7B or Manufactorum Hub Delta-7C first? The choice is yours! Best of all, thanks to the miracles of Standard Template Construction, once you've seen one beautiful Imperial building, you've literally seen them all!
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/regimental-standard.com/2019/01/16/take-a-city-break/amp/

They also do a nice line in mimicking corporate information posters, which makes me wonder if they read the Scarfolk blog that is a twisted satire of 1970s UK.

e2bDcT.jpeg

Oct 31, 2017
This reminds me of the humour in some of their 'Regimental Standard' community posts. While obviously the gags are there to sell model kits, it's that knowing look at grim Imperial weirdness that means I usually check it out. One of my faves:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/regimental-standard.com/2019/01/16/take-a-city-break/amp/

They also do a nice line in mimicking corporate information posters, which makes me wonder if they read the Scarfolk blog that is a twisted satire of 1970s UK.

e2bDcT.jpeg

Yeah, Regimental Standard has been quite good. I've always seen 40k as fundamentally a (rather excellent) pisstake, and I'm glad they are starting to lean back into the grimdark high camp that made me fall in love with the setting way back in 3d edition.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I missed the Aeronautica Imperialis teaser from the other day. I'm so freaking excited, I was first in line to buy fighters and bombers for the original Forge World release. I'm going to dig up my Imperial Navy and Orks, but I'm sure I'll pick up whatever else they release, especially if the plastics are really good.

I guess my only concern is that all the aircraft will be based on the current 40k plastics and that the old Forge World resin kit designs are completely left out. The old Ork Fightas and Imperial Thunderbolts were gorgeous designs and I don't think the current stuff is nearly as good.

Regardless, really stoked!

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

e2bDcT.jpeg

The regimental standard is so good, and reinvigorated my love for the Guard when I was waning from them.

My favourite is the one about Tau Tech being inferior:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/regimental-standard.com/2016/03/04/tau-technology-inferior-2/amp/

In further news, it has recently been proven beyond doubt that Tau technology is inferior to our own. Battlefield tests have shown that Tau laser technology is far inferior to that of your trusty lasgun. Their rifles cannot even pierce our fatigues, let alone break the skin. Guardsmen Atkin of the 22nd Cadian Rifles encountered the Tau on Eraedon Moon and had this to say:

'We were hunkered down in an old refinery when those cowards ambushed us. Dozens of 'em. Their weapons flashed out towards us, and they were bright for sure. Bright as a flare. But we felt nothing. Just these dots of light dancing over us.'

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, Regimental Standard has been quite good. I've always seen 40k as fundamentally a (rather excellent) pisstake, and I'm glad they are starting to lean back into the grimdark high camp that made me fall in love with the setting way back in 3d edition.
Yeah, same. I grew up on GW, 2000AD, Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper and all that. A whole generation of UK creatives basically having been raised in the 70s and 80s during the Cold War and writing satire about the sheer stupidity of mass warfare and government leaflets about surviving atomic strikes.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was impressed with these- in particular the black over the grey undercoat (on the Hammer) seems to give a really nice finish.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Vids about Contrast are popping up.

That's s pretty good and in depth video. I definitely think it's a godsend for doing stuff like fabrics and skin for those that struggle with it (though I prefer purple oil for skin).

But I can't say I'm particularly impressed this it looks on metal. Probbably stick with oils for that.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So you NEED the undercoat, then this is exactly what I imagined.

I want to see some pros with those paints.
Yeah, it looks like a whole system- you use the specific undercoat, paints and thin with the specific medium for best effects. Or at least, that's what I'm going to do until I've experimented with it a bit :D

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it looks like a whole system- you use the specific undercoat, paints and thin with the specific medium for best effects. Or at least, that's what I'm going to do until I've experimented with it a bit :D

To be fair the GW rep skirts the issue and avoids answering directly, they just say that their undercoat is designed to go on smoother.
It sounds like you maybe need AN undercoat, but not necessarily the contrast undercoat

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be fair the GW rep skirts the issue and avoids answering directly, they just say that their undercoat is designed to go on smoother.
It sounds like you maybe need AN undercoat, but not necessarily the contrast undercoat
Yeah, I'm sure you're right- I mean, what else are they going to say :-)

I've got some spare models and a few older cans of spray, I'll do a bit of testing.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I have some tamiya primer lying around that I'll try first. The contrast paint itself just looks like thicker ink rather than magic paint though.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever try using any of the Citadel edge paints as the main color on a mini? GW doesn't make many proper pastel colors for the base or layer colors. I thought I might be able to prime white and basecoat with some of the edge paints. I painted up my Chaos Marines in a rainbow of Easter colors back in 2Ed and was hoping to do something similar with the limited edition Noisemarine. Also considered washes over white but I kind of hate how inconsistent that can be.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone ever try using any of the Citadel edge paints as the main color on a mini? GW doesn't make many proper pastel colors for the base or layer colors. I thought I might be able to prime white and basecoat with some of the edge paints. I painted up my Chaos Marines in a rainbow of Easter colors back in 2Ed and was hoping to do something similar with the limited edition Noisemarine. Also considered washes over white but I kind of hate how inconsistent that can be.

What do you mean by edge paint? I pretty much use whatever color I feel like.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I used Baharroth Blue as my base coat for an energy sword and it worked well. Edge colors feel like they are the same consistency as Layer paints, simply with more bright, contrasting colors. So don't water it down much at all and you should be fine.

99189957002.jpg

Yeah washes are a science at this volume to keep them consistent.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Picked up a Razorback for my Grey Hunters to move faster in! I have dreads and a bloat drone, but this will be my first actual vehicle. Excited!

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I have an unassembled (hell, box is still sealed) stompa, I think I'll happily put that to the test with the Contrast stuff once I get a feel of how they apply on some random throwaways.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

On white you're best off using a fine brush to directly put the wash in the recesses.

But otherwise with washes you have to really sort of spread a tiny bit around and brush it in else the entire model turns shiny.

Learnt that the hard way on 50+ models...

Edge paints are fine like the other poster said, it's the Layer paints that can be quite watery.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
G

Good luck! Are we gonna see a painted pic when you're done? :-)

For sure! I try to post everything on instagram at least. I don't have much hobby time. My week day starts at 4:45am, I get home from work around 6-6:30 and eat dinner and get stuff ready for the next day and hang with my kid. Wife gets my hour before I go to bed.

So basically all my assembly and painting is random 5-10 min chunks at work or sometimes a few hours on the weekend.

You will see a whole Death Guard and Space Wolf army by the end of the year I just don't know how long it will take!

Too much work- not enough hobby!

And just in cast your curious - Death guard - 14 Plague marines 90% done, Typhus done, Bloat drone done, 20 zombie guys 50% done. I have an unbuilt Blight Hauler and 3 single models assembled but unprimed.

Space Wolves- Bjorn primed, Ven Dread Primed, 5 Wolf Guard Termies about 50% done, One primaris about 90% done, 5 Grey Hunters 40% done.
Kitbashed Wolf Lord with jump pack built, 9 intercessors to build, 5 hellblasters to build, razorback to build. Also one Thunderwolf Cav done and 2 more primed.

So yeah, its a long list but slowly getting there!

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I used Baharroth Blue as my base coat for an energy sword and it worked well. Edge colors feel like they are the same consistency as Layer paints, simply with more bright, contrasting colors. So don't water it down much at all and you should be fine.

Thanks much for the info! (And also thanks to everyone else that chimed in).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
For sure! I try to post everything on instagram at least. I don't have much hobby time. My week day starts at 4:45am, I get home from work around 6-6:30 and eat dinner and get stuff ready for the next day and hang with my kid. Wife gets my hour before I go to bed.

So basically all my assembly and painting is random 5-10 min chunks at work or sometimes a few hours on the weekend.

You will see a whole Death Guard and Space Wolf army by the end of the year I just don't know how long it will take!

Too much work- not enough hobby!

And just in cast your curious - Death guard - 14 Plague marines 90% done, Typhus done, Bloat drone done, 20 zombie guys 50% done. I have an unbuilt Blight Hauler and 3 single models assembled but unprimed.

Space Wolves- Bjorn primed, Ven Dread Primed, 5 Wolf Guard Termies about 50% done, One primaris about 90% done, 5 Grey Hunters 40% done.
Kitbashed Wolf Lord with jump pack built, 9 intercessors to build, 5 hellblasters to build, razorback to build. Also one Thunderwolf Cav done and 2 more primed.

So yeah, its a long list but slowly getting there!
Nice! I'm the same, hobby time has to fit around a young family, commuting etc. Looking forward to getting back into painting miniatures later this year, so much has changed since I last had a real hobby craze for it.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Nice! I'm the same, hobby time has to fit around a young family, commuting etc. Looking forward to getting back into painting miniatures later this year, so much has changed since I last had a real hobby craze for it.
If your anything like me it will be fun to get back into. Just don't buy too much at a time and put in time when you can! Also make an instagram and share it! The community for painting stuff is very nice and inspiring and I find it makes me stick to getting at least SOMETHING done when I am mentally spent.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/aakapx/book_excerptmagisterium_dorn_and_valdor_argue/
this argument between Constantin Valdor and Dorn about the Emperor is interesting

in many ways, one could argue that the Custodes have a greater loyalty to the Emperor than the Primarchs. Dorn actually says that the custodes "never push back" against Big E.

Than Valdor fucking shits on the primarchs lol

". 'I watched, while your brotherhood was created. I studied you. I saw the dangers in you from the start, and witnessed the way you fought, and acted, and quarrelled. And still I said nothing. If there had been a time to question an order, perhaps it was then. But the moment passed, and your great success came soon afterwards. I will be honest now, for you have been honest with me. I did not believe you would ever be that deadly. I saw how swiftly you conquered worlds, and said to myself, perhaps this is why you were made in the way you were. That was your great victory – you became untouchable.' "

'But now we see the errors implicit in your forging,' Valdor said. 'I should have spoken earlier. By the time war came to this place, the moment had passed, and we were all trapped by our fates. You say that the defence of the tunnels was doomed? Perhaps so. I have fought in other wars – more than you will ever know – that were also doomed, and they always played some part in His pattern. I still cleave to that. The only element that could not be accounted for,' and there he looked directly at Dorn, 'was you.'

Dorn's comeback is kind of weak, he wasn't expecting it :)

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Ok so in the "best primarch" thread there has been a debate going on about if the Primarchs are diverse characters. I argued that they, in my opinion, pretty diverse but there were a few other posters that saw them as being mostly straight white guys. What do you think, do you think they the 18 are diverse characters or are they just all white guys?

primarch-cartoon.jpg

one of the posters wants a "diversity" reboot of the Primarchs and 40k in general. its true that 40k has had issues with gender and ethnic representation, but where do you side on this issue?

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Been working on the Master of Possession for a while. I'm a very slow. I have some more highlights do and the base but am quiet happy with it for now.

Oct 26, 2017
Been working on the Master of Possession for a while. I'm a very slow. I have some more highlights do and the base but am quiet happy with it for now.

Oh wow. That looks fantastic. The blend on the flames makes me really jealous.

About 2 weeks ago I really hurt my neck/back from painting too much and looking straight down. I bought an LED light to go on my head and am trying to look straight on as I paint. Now I just need to solve one more issue..I go through brushes like tissue paper. Just put in an amazon order for a new set because my current ones have so many straight hairs that I couldn't correct with deep cleaning. I don't know if I'm storing them improperly, painting too hard....

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so in the "best primarch" thread there has been a debate going on about if the Primarchs are diverse characters. I argued that they, in my opinion, pretty diverse but there were a few other posters that saw them as being mostly straight white guys. What do you think, do you think they the 18 are diverse characters or are they just all white guys?

primarch-cartoon.jpg

one of the posters wants a "diversity" reboot of the Primarchs and 40k in general. its true that 40k has had issues with gender and ethnic representation, but where do you side on this issue?
You can argue that Khan is an Asian, but the rest are clearly just white dudes. I think GW is moving forward with racial diversity with its models by having more black representation. There is also the case that the Emperor of Mankind is from Asia Minor too.

You can argue that Khan is an Asian, but the rest are clearly just white dudes. I think GW is moving forward with racial diversity with its models by having more black representation. There is also the case that the Emperor of Mankind is from Asia Minor too.
This is true the Master of Mankind cover makes him look semi racial ambiguous.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
ehhh I still don't see it man

copying my post from the other thread

if we accept that premise, at best there are like only 5-6 primarchs which you could clearly identify as anglo-saxon, northern european white....

Russ, Sanguinius, Roboute, The Lion, Fulgrim and Dorn are the only ones that could possibly be defined as white if want to be that reductive

Khan is Mongolian, Corax is Native American, Vulkan is black. Perturabo is a machine, Magnus is a red giant, Mortarion is a trash can. Who knows what the hell Alpharius is, he could be here or there or nowhere and anything and nothing at once?

the baldies Horus, Lorgar and Ferrus and Angron (although Ferrus usually has short black hair in artwork) are ambiguous and generally have a darker tan skin

Curze is a pale gothic dude

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
ehhh I still don't see it man

copying my post from the other thread

if we accept that premise, at best there are like only 5-6 primarchs which you could clearly identify as anglo-saxon, northern european white....

Russ, Sanguinius, Roboute, The Lion, Fulgrim and Dorn are the only ones that could possibly be defined as white if want to be that reductive

Khan is Mongolian, Corax is Native American, Vulkan is black. Perturabo is a machine, Magnus is a red giant, Mortarion is a trash can. Who knows what the hell Alpharius is, he could be here or there or nowhere and anything and nothing at once?

the baldies Horus, Lorgar and Ferrus and Angron (although Ferrus usually has short black hair in artwork) are ambiguous and generally have a darker tan skin

Curze is a pale gothic dude
Vulkan is not actually black as from a certain part of Earth, but black due to the radiation from the planet that he was raised on. The black skin that Salamanders have is more based on mutations from the planet than Vulkan's DNA. Vulkan's skin is a mutation like Sanguinius' wings and not based on their DNA heritage from places that have a black population.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Vulkan is not actually black as from a certain part of Earth, but black due to the radiation from the planet that he was raised on. The black skin that Salamanders have is more based on mutations from the planet than Vulkan's DNA. Vulkan's skin is a mutation like Sanguinius' wings and not based on their DNA heritage from places that have a black population.
well its important to remember that one of space marine's gene-seed organs is Melanochrome which alters their skin color depending on what environment they are in. High sunlight will cause Astarte's skin to naturally darken to compensate

its a reason why Blood Angels and Raven Guard have very pale skin because of the environment they are in. Salamanders as well etc. I assume that the Primarchs have something similar.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
well its important to remember that one of space marine's gene-seed organs is Melanochrome which alters their skin color depending on what environment they are in. High sunlight will cause Astarte's skin to naturally darken to compensate

its a reason why Blood Angels and Raven Guard have very pale skin because of the environment they are in. Salamanders as well etc. I assume that the Primarchs have something similar.
That is right but enforces that idea of mutation causing the skin color than heredity.