• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Codex was made to stop things like the Horus Heresy from happening again, which it did accomplish. With the only outliner being the Badab War, but only one of those chapters actually went rouge compared to the others.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
The Codex was made to stop things like the Horus Heresy from happening again, which it did accomplish. With the only outliner being the Badab War, but only one of those chapters actually went rouge compared to the others.
can't the Nova-Terra Interregnum also be seen as somewhat of a civil war, obviously not on the scale as the Horus Heresy...but still a war within the Imperium?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys can't blame Roboute for the way the Ultramarines acted in the 40k, they totally misinterpreted what the codex was about

From the mouth of Guilliman himself

[My teachings] are yet flawed. No one, not even one such as I, can anticipate every possible outcome of battle. My words are not some holy writ that must be obeyed. There must always be room for personal initiative on the battlefield. You and I both know how one spark of heroism can turn the tide of battle. That knowledge and personal experience can only be earned in blood, and the leader in the field must always be the ultimate arbiter of what course of action should be followed.

I do love how his own chapter forgot the real reason of the codex and instead just started blindly following the codex.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Started putting together my tau kill team models and god, the xv25 minis are so boring. Every piece is mono-pose : the lower body is 3 slightly different spread legs arrangement, arms and weapons are all the same too. Super dissapointing.

I've also put together the mb3 drone and the 2 combat drones from the xv8 kit, those were easy and fun to do.

I really love the recon drone though, such an imposing mini. I think I'll have it sit on a piece of terrain on the base, it's super tall and top heavy and it gets worse when put on one of the clear plastic flyer base. I might do the same with the combat drones actually.

Oct 26, 2017
Started putting together my tau kill team models and god, the xv25 minis are so boring. Every piece is mono-pose : the lower body is 3 slightly different spread legs arrangement, arms and weapons are all the same too. Super dissapointing.

I've also put together the mb3 drone and the 2 combat drones from the xv8 kit, those were easy and fun to do.

I really love the recon drone though, such an imposing mini. I think I'll have it sit on a piece of terrain on the base, it's super tall and top heavy and it gets worse when put on one of the clear plastic flyer base. I might do the same with the combat drones actually.

The Stealth suits are fairly monopose but you can do some interesting things with them. Weapons on different arms, antenna placement, etc. They're not as versatile as crisis suits but there are some options.

The recon drone is such a cool looking drone that is so useless in the main game lol. For whatever reason GW goes for the rule of cool with Tau sometimes.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Stealth suits are fairly monopose but you can do some interesting things with them. Weapons on different arms, antenna placement, etc. They're not as versatile as crisis suits but there are some options.

The recon drone is such a cool looking drone that is so useless in the main game lol. For whatever reason GW goes for the rule of cool with Tau sometimes.

I'm still absolutely pissed at the Stormsurge being the upgrade for the Hammerhead. I want my Tau Super-Tank damnit! Doesn't help that the stormsurge looks really dumb compared to the other Tau Super-Heavies.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a Deathwatch starter box (the one with the Dreadnought in it)

Thinking about expanding out the army but I'm not sure with what

Thinking about some bikes and a Redemptor but I feel that these are both at the opposite scales of what I should be building toward

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Picked up a Deathwatch starter box (the one with the Dreadnought in it)

Thinking about expanding out the army but I'm not sure with what

Thinking about some bikes and a Redemptor but I feel that these are both at the opposite scales of what I should be building toward
I like the look of the Deathwatch army as a whole. Have you played any games with it yet?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not yet.

Which I should probably do before expanding it out too much, see what gaps need filling
Yeah, that's often worked for me over the years- way back when I played on a weekly basis, my friends and I were in a constant 'arms race' to surprise each other the following week. We'd often bump into each other in the hobby shop and laugh about having stumbled across secret plans :D I always remember being renowned for fielding a DA gunline primarily of tactical squads, dreadnoughts and a single terminator unit for melee, but had secretly been painting up extra Deathwing and Assault squads. When the time came to unveil the shock assault I'd been planning for months, according to the rules at the time (this is way back in the 90s), two thirds of them died in unfortunate teleport and scenery-based landing accidents. After that I took another route of expansion into the Ravenwing instead :D

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm still absolutely pissed at the Stormsurge being the upgrade for the Hammerhead. I want my Tau Super-Tank damnit! Doesn't help that the stormsurge looks really dumb compared to the other Tau Super-Heavies.

Though I understand your desire for a massive tank and the Stormsurge does infuse look goofy, I am quite fond of the look of the Forgeworld Supremacy:

99020187137_TauKX139TaunarSupremacyArmourBundle01.jpg

I've found supergluing a heavy coin on the bottom of certain top heavy models can stop them from tipping over. Though I wouldn't know if it would work on the recon drone.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Though I understand your desire for a massive tank and the Stormsurge does infuse look goofy, I am quite fond of the look of the Forgeworld Supremacy:

99020187137_TauKX139TaunarSupremacyArmourBundle01.jpg

I've found supergluing a heavy coin on the bottom of certain top heavy models can stop them from tipping over. Though I wouldn't know if it would work on the recon drone.

Jesus is that a T'au titan?

Also yeah, I guess it would work on the drone but I mostly want to use that as well for an occasion to make a pretty base.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I've been reading Cadian Honor, and slab is mentioned a lot as a food item. I have no idea why, but I need to know about what slab is.

Sounds like a cheap food ration.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Criticism against the Holy Emperor's delicious ration bars?

ATTENTION CITIZEN!
www.youtube.com

Unsubtle Criticism starring the Adeptus Arbites

What clearly will happen several thousand years from now unless a certain video-hosting site fixes their shit right this instant.Fresh as Arbitratorhttps://w...

Edit:
New If-The-Emperor-Had-A-Podcast, this time focusing on the story of Inquisitor Draco.

Goddamn some sci-fi/fantasy writers are horny.....

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I've been reading Titandeath and while it's not the best book, it's quite enjoyable in a way.

The way it describes what it's like for a titanpilot to sort of sync into the machine like a more bloodthirsty Pacific Rim 'drift' is really unique. The books very clearly rushed but he's also very clearly taking a concept and just going with it, whether it sticks or not.

Guy Haley is slowly taking over as my favourite author. A lot of his stuff is pretty strong, but even when his stuffs bad, it's at least committed to an interesting concept.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've been reading Titandeath and while it's not the best book, it's quite enjoyable in a way.

The way it describes what it's like for a titanpilot to sort of sync into the machine like a more bloodthirsty Pacific Rim 'drift' is really unique. The books very clearly rushed but he's also very clearly taking a concept and just going with it, whether it sticks or not.

Guy Haley is slowly taking over as my favourite author. A lot of his stuff is pretty strong, but even when his stuffs bad, it's at least committed to an interesting concept.
What I love about Guy Haley's Devastation of Baal is that the other 'marine conquests' books pretty much exist only to introduce Primaris to the DA, Wolves and Ultramarines. Meanwhile, the Blood Angel one acts as a sequel and character piece expanding from Dante, from the Shield of Baal storyline, advances the setting for a dozen or more chapters, gives a reasonable amount of suspicion of Guilliman from Seth (Flesh Tearers CM) and pretty much adds in 'yeah Primaris' right at the end. By the look of it he's got another Dante sequel out at the end of the year that will presumably focus on 'Primaris settling in to replace massive casualties/Dante's new job'.

I'm just impressed that he worked it in at what felt a fairly natural pace over multiple books, whereas the others (and even his own work in Dark Millenium) seem to focus on
'here's the difference between marines and these new, stronger marines'.

Honour and Iron is particularly unsubtle about it. An Ultramarine assault jumppack squad get wasted while dropping from aircraft, only for the survivor to be given command of... an inception squad of new, better jumppack troops! :D

I appreciate there's an element of selling toy soldiers in the brief but the Blood Angel arc does it with more subtlety. As someone who mainly played Dark Angels for 20 years, I'm more interested in the BA narrative right now, and more interested in a potential Space Wolf sequel from Chris Wraight than I was in their latest book. The DA one (War of Secrets) also makes them out to be cartoon villains compared to the new guys, which I find a bit tiring, lacking in nuance and failing to really find any new ground after at least half a dozen novels. I get that their paranoid big 'Templar conspiracy' secret is literally their main thing, and it would be like a Space wolf book without references to vikings etc, but there have to be DA stories that aren't about the fallen.

I suspect the brief for 'conquests', on top of 'introduce new units', was also 'assume the reader is new and introduce them to the core, main traits and themes of our most popular marine factions' too. That would make sense.

Last edited:

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got round to reading Rebirth by Nick Kyme and there doesn't seem to be any more in the series after this. Has the series been abandoned?

The Salamanders are pretty interesting, are there any other novels that focus on them other than the Tome of Fire series?

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Salamanders have at least three books dedicated to them in the Horus Heresy series (most/all are by Nick Kyme) + one of the Primarchs books is about Vulkan.

Last edited:

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Can we all agree that Nick Kyme is dire? Real shame he (allegedly) blocks everyone else writing about the Salamanders
I have been trying to catch up on the Heresy books, and his books + damnation at Pythos has made it quite the slog

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Can we all agree that Nick Kyme is dire? Real shame he (allegedly) blocks everyone else writing about the Salamanders
I have been trying to catch up on the Heresy books, and his books + damnation at Pythos has made it quite the slog

I've read up to Mark of Calth and am debating just skipping all the Kyme and Thorpe books from here on out.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't collect the miniatures but I saw this and thought it might be handy for some here after seeing the discussion on contrast paints on the previous page.

That's a shame if true, the Salamanders are my favourite chapter so far. Would love more novels about them from other authors.

Serule said:
Salamanders have at least three books dedicated to them in the Horus Heresy series (most/all are by Nick Kyme) + one of the Primarchs books is about Vulkan.
Is it ok to read just the Salamander books or does it require more of the HH books to be read? I've avoided the HH series so far as it seems a bit daunting with so many books.

Last edited:

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, that colour reference chart is amazing, thanks!

This Imperial Fist looks fucking great to me, goddamn.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Is it ok to read just the Salamander books or does it require more of the HH books to be read? I've avoided the HH series so far as it seems a bit daunting with so many books.

You should be able to follow the main plotline of Vulkan and the couple Salamanders the books follow, but you'll be pretty lost on the things surrounding them. The Primarch books are standalone and happen before the Heresy.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame if true, the Salamanders are my favourite chapter so far. Would love more novels about them from other authors.

Don't let my opinion of Kyme's writing discourage you if you already read and liked Rebirth and the Tome of Fire series.

As for the HH stuff, it is one setting, but with dozens of only occasionally connected plotlines. It would not hurt to read the first five books but you could probably get by without them. For the Salamanders, their story is all about recovering from the Massacre at Istvaan V. Most of their legion was destroyed, and the Imperium at large believes Vulkan is dead. Looks like there are four Salamanders books + the Vulkan books:
26: Vulkan Lives by Nick Kyme
32: Deathfire by Nick Kyme
47: Old Earth by Nick Kyme
50: Born of Flame by Nick Kyme
Vulkan: Lord of Drakes by David Annandale

Edit: I looked up the plots, and there is some stuff that goes on between books 26 and 32 (the Unremembered Empire) that's pretty important to the Salamanders. So I might be wrong; it might be kind of hard to just read the Salamanders books.

Last edited:

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Played a 1750 game yesterday, my Necrons vs Crimson Fists. Had 3 doom scythes and pulled off the Amalgamated targeting data strategem where instead of firing their death rays you pick a spot on the map and do 3D3 mortal wounds to everything within 3" on a 4+, 3+ for units with more than 5 models or a 5+ for characters. Got 9 mortal wounds against one unit of aggressors and 5 on the others. Was able to wipe both units first turn which essentially handed me the game.

For 450 points it's an excellent investment though really requires first turn to ensure it goes off and requires a bit more planning to ensure you can achieve it without having all your planes fly off the board.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Warhammer day, June 29th.

What better way to celebrate an entire day dedicated to the Warhammer hobby than with the release of the first model from one of the most hotly anticipated miniatures ranges in years?! As well as the awesome new miniature, the Sister Superior Amalia Novena set includes an A4 art print of the original Karl Kopinkski artwork, and a Warhammer 40,000 datasheet for a Battle Sisters Squad, including the profile for a Sister Superior.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Voxcast has just put up a great interview with GW's IP Archivist, Tim Molloy, that talks about the themes of the setting, where it comes from and how it's often misunderstood. Lots of detail for anyone interested in the lore. It's about an hour or so long.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
It was so fucking beautiful. This guy should be hired by Richard Boylan to work on the Angels of Death series. BUT LET HIM FINISH ASTARTES FIRST!

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
so apparently contrast paints are all sold out in preorders, interesting to see waht happens.