• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping to buy some Chaos Knight mask bits since I magnetize all my Knight faces/masks. Then I can just roll my regular Knights, and swap on a Chaos mask. At least put some effort into it. Because after painting 2 Dominus, 2 Questoris, and 5 Armigers, I'm really, really lacking the energy to paint more Knights.

Wow, that Knights Apocalypse box is sold out already! Not going to lie I was eying that up, also looks like they are giving the Baneblade a retail release (seemed to be a webshop exclusive, I am not sure if it had a retail box before)
If you really want one, plenty are still being sold on Ebay. I'm stupidly tempted myself because I want 2 more Helverins, and I can probably sell the Castellan for $-120130 and essentially get the Helverins for 75% off.

Last edited:

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
It was more how much of a bargain they were, especially as resellers here had them at £75. Still only just getting back into the hobby, and I have enough models to last the year. So it is not something I am worried about

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Chaos Knight sprues leaked:
307C16C9-2CA5-464C-8615-CDE428E5F459.jpeg

7D77527B-D04C-4BC2-A66C-4FC703A7C637.jpeg

A4D8906C-9833-4400-B23D-4AC692746702.jpeg
Could perhaps use the legs for a differently posed Imperial Knight with minimal effort.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Well, time for another price hike. Seems quite major on some stuff. Unclear so far wether it's US only or global though I doubt GW would do local increases, why get less money when you can get all the money.

Well, time for another price hike. Seems quite major on some stuff. Unclear so far wether it's US only or global though I doubt GW would do local increases, why get less money when you can get all the money.

Saw that list going around. Looks to me like they're bringing the price of older kits for various categories into line with the price of a bunch of newer kits. Which sucks since some of those older kits are for stuff you buy in bulk for bigger armies.

I suddenly feel better about some unbuilt Tau Fire Warriors and Dunecrawlers stocked up for a rainy day.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Good time for me that Morty is going up in price. I just had a long debate with myself last night whether I was going to commit to Ad Mech or Death Guard, and decided to go with Ad Mech. So I put Death Guard up today for trades, and within a day got my entire Death Guard army traded off for a ton of Ad Mech. Morty price increase really helped in negotiations. Coming out pretty far ahead.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Finally bit the bullet and ordered Commissar Raine.

Commissars are a bit poop but as my opponents have often discovered Lord Commissars can be nasty surprises in close combat (especially backed up by Ogryn Bodyguards).

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally bit the bullet and ordered Commissar Raine.

Commissars are a bit poop but as my opponents have often discovered Lord Commissars can be nasty surprises in close combat (especially backed up by Ogryn Bodyguards).

Draconian Disciplinarian + Lord Commissar can be fun with Conscripts

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Draconian Disciplinarian + Lord Commissar can be fun with Conscripts

I wish the Dagger relic worked with Commissars so I could outflank 50 Conscripts and a Lord Commissar into the opponents backline.

Did it once with an officer while playing the Rohirm theme from LOTR, but most of them ran away from morale the next round.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Curious I clicked on the topic title when I saw it at the top of the page cause I keep hearing how cool this series is. Read through all the informative posts and I'm definitely interested. What's the best way to kinda get in? The video games or something else? I've got a few on my steam library because of stuff like sales or humble bundle

Edit: between work and the weekly dnd session I don't have a ton of time to spare sadly

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Curious I clicked on the topic title when I saw it at the top of the page cause I keep hearing how cool this series is. Read through all the informative posts and I'm definitely interested. What's the best way to kinda get in? The video games or something else? I've got a few on my steam library because of stuff like sales or humble bundle

Depends on your interest!

You mentioned Humble Bundle; If you have any interest in RTS games, both Dawn of War and Dawn of War II are really good (for slightly different reasons). Some of the other PC games are decent too, but there a lot of bad ones. There are also some great games in their fantasy universes (Total War: Warhammer, Vermintide) but that's slightly off-topic here.

Personally I mostly read the novels and paint the miniatures. There are a lot of good novels to start with but my recommendation would be Eisenhorn: Xenos (or the Eisenhorn omnibus). It's about an inquisitor traveling the galaxy and rooting out corruption and doesn't require any prior knowledge.

For the table top game, First Strike is their lowest-end entry-level box; for like $40 you get 15 minis and a book that shows how to play a few scenarios with them. The Dark Imperium
box is their high-end entry box, has the full rule book and a lot more minis. If you are interested in the armies in those boxes (Ultrmarines vs Death Guard) it makes sense to eventually get both boxes.

Last edited:

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Oops double post...

Uhh, at Warhammer Day last week I picked up a Necron Cryptek and a box of Immortals. Hope to pick up box of Lychguard soon as well, going to mix them all together to make a Kill Team.

Oct 30, 2017
Depends on your interest!

You mentioned Humble Bundle; If you have any interest in RTS games, both Dawn of War and Dawn of War II are really good (for slightly different reasons). Some of the other PC games are decent too, but there a lot of bad ones. There are also some great games in their fantasy universes (Total War: Warhammer, Vermintide) but that's slightly off-topic here.

Personally I mostly read the novels and paint the miniatures. There are a lot of good novels to start with but my recommendation would be Eisenhorn: Xenos (or the Eisenhorn omnibus). It's about an inquisitor traveling the galaxy and rooting out corruption and doesn't require any prior knowledge.

I'll check those out. Off the top of my head I've got Dawn of War 3, Eternal Crusade, Vermintide 2, and Total War: Warhammer.

Thanks for the book recommendations!

Oct 26, 2017
I'll check those out. Off the top of my head I've got Dawn of War 3, Eternal Crusade, Vermintide 2, and Total War: Warhammer.

Thanks for the book recommendations!
Dawn of War II and Dawn of War III are amazing. I'm probably more in the minority for my love of Dawn of War III---I think it's poor multiplayer really dragged it through the mud. But the Blood Ravens and especially the Orks make that campaign worth it.

Oct 30, 2017
Kind of, but no. You could play 3 first. Then play Dawn of War II and it's expansions after, and frame them in your head as prequels. Prequels that set the foundation for the the Blood Ravens, Gabriel, and how he came to be in the position he is.

Ok cool! I also looked over st my PS3 shelf and realized I also have the Space Marine game. Didn't even know I had it to be honest.

Oct 26, 2017
Ok cool! I also looked over st my PS3 shelf and realized I also have the Space Marine game. Didn't even know I had it to be honest.
That's a good one too. Everyone is different, but for me, Dawn of War II is what introduced me to Warhammer 40K, and I've been in love ever since. That's why I'm so excited for the Blood Ravens White Dwarf issue coming out here soon. It will be nostalgia overload for me going back to them.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
After years collecting dust I fired up my old 360. Amazed it still worked. I put in Space Marine. The game still holds up. But the environments get a little boring after a while. I wish THQ was still around to complete the trilogy. I'd love to see what happens to Titus.

Oct 26, 2017
After years collecting dust I fired up my old 360. Amazed it still worked. I put in Space Marine. The game still holds up. But the environments get a little boring after a while. I wish THQ was still around to complete the trilogy. I'd love to see what happens to Titus.

Pretty sure I read that

The second game would have been about Titus being out of the Ultramarines, I'm guessing a case of choosing to flee or being executed by the inquisition, with the story being about Titus doing his own research into why he was able to withstand the warp energy and being tempted by chaos. Then the third game was going to be the resolution to that story with Titus overcoming that and starting his own Ultramarines successor chapter.

Last edited:

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Pretty sure I read that

The second game would have been about Titus being out of the Ultramarines, I'm guessing a case of choosing to flee or being executed by the inquisition, with the story being about Titus doing his own research into why he was able to withstand the warp energy and being tempted by chaos. Then the third game was going to be the resolution to that story with Titus overcoming that and starting his own Ultramarines successor chapter.
Yeah I read that too.

Oct 26, 2017
I just wish Space Marine incorporated the dreadnought gameplay into the single player somehow, even if it was just a short bonus level or something. The few times I actually got to be the dreadnought in multiplayer were phenomenal.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I just wish Space Marine incorporated the dreadnought gameplay into the single player somehow, even if it was just a short bonus level or something. The few times I actually got to be the dreadnought in multiplayer were phenomenal.
I think SM was a great introduction to the WH40K universe. And I think the gameplay was pretty good. It could all be improved and expanded upon. I just don't understand why publishers won't produce another SM game? I believe the market is there.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I think SM was a great introduction to the WH40K universe. And I think the gameplay was pretty good. It could all be improved and expanded upon. I just don't understand why publishers won't produce another SM game? I believe the market is there.

Space Marine got me into 40k. I have a special place in my heart for that game its even been the inspiration for making my Space Marines army Ultramarines. I miss you Captain Titus :'(

I don't have any idea why they haven't made a sequel yet. I can only imagine after Dawn of War 3 bombed Relic doesn't want to do 40k games anymore. I hope someone picks it up eventually. I even made sure to say how much I wanted a sequel in both of the community surveys GW has done (and will continue to do so until they make one).

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Space Marine got me into 40k.
Same. Before SM was announced I thought "Space Marine" was a generic term. I remember when Metroid for the SNES came out. In one of the rooms before the boss there was a dead soldier laying on the ground. I called Nintendo's 1-800 number to see what that was. After being passed over to a few customer support reps one person said he was a space marine. I had heard the term "space marine" refer to other type of soldiers sense. It wasn't until the first videos of what SM might look like when I started to do my search in earnest to see what a Space Marine really was. That's when I found out about the whole WH40k universe. There's a Games Workshop store here in Houston that I went to buy a book. The clerk recommended me a graphic novel basically summarizing the Horus Heresy. After that I fell in love with the lore. There's so much there that I think Hollywood could come out with a great movie. But only if it's direct by Mel Gibson. No one knows how to portray blood and guts and ultra violence better than him. 😉

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm indecisive. Help me choose a color scheme 40k era. :-/
YMhWL5E.png

Definitely 4.

Edit: If I were you I'd go with something different for the eye color. Typically in Space Marine designs they usually go for a color that is a contrast to the rest of the armors primary colors. It helps give it more definition and helps draw the eye to the face, where if you go with the Cyan color here the eyes get kind of lost amungst the armor trim and details. I would recommend a bright green, in this case.

Last edited:

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
2 or 4 as well.

Anyway picked up a repulsor executioner earlier, I really love the kit (wasnt a fan or the original repulsor).

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Can Deathwatch take the Executioner?

I'm not sure. The executioner has the <chapter> keyword which lets them be used by ba, da, sw . However, the vanguard Marines so far can't be used by deathwatch and have the same keyword. (mainly due to them being monopose without the ability to switch shoulders). With most of the vanguard's getting multiparty kits who knows what will happen.

Interesting thing that I noticed. Is that the executioner has the left arm holding the auspex pose like that one etb kit has, I checked the original repulsor sprue and it doesn't have it.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have always known of 40k and decades ago used to drop into a GM store and even had a few metal grey knight terminators. Probably have them still in the loft somewhere.

Well I was tinkering on YouTube and found the Winters SEO channel and oh my. Am hooked.

Check out this battle. It was awesome and am thinking I may need to start rummaging around in my attic!

Though I would post here as the thread was on the community tab.

"Word Bearers vs Imperium; 4000 point 8th edition warhammer 40k battle report"

A great battle and plenty more to boot.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I think I'm going with 4, it does look great. You've convinced me about the eyes, maybe a nice green would work (to contrast with the purple helm).

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Well I was tinkering on YouTube and found the Winters SEO channel and oh my. Am hooked.
Winters is probably my favourite 40k battle report channel, keeps the balance nicely between providing enough details to keep you informed without bogging the video down. Also he has a real nicely painted Death Guard force so I am a little bias.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm new start collecting boxes.

Preorder-Jul07-TSSC23k.jpg

Preorder-Jul07-SWSC13kx.jpg

Edit. ALso the spirit seer from wake the dead is now purchasable by itself.

I wonder if we will get a future ultramarines box set that has the warhammer conquest exclusive ultramarines lieutenant in the future.

Last edited:

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm new start collecting boxes.

Edit. ALso the spirit seer from wake the dead is now purchasable by itself.

I wonder if we will get a future ultramarines box set that has the warhammer conquest exclusive ultramarines lieutenant in the future.

Those are some wierd SC boxes. Usually they tend to have some sort of big unit to complement them but these dont do that and are all infantry based. Does this mean that the other chapters will be getting a dedicated Primaris box? Or just Space Wolves since that's just the Tooth and Claw set from last year. Also is that the first named character to be in a box outside the Deathwatch one? I guess you could reuse it as a exalted sorcerer but still that's rather odd.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
You think the Carcharadons have any Primaris Marines? Or did they eat them?

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Those are some wierd SC boxes. Usually they tend to have some sort of big unit to complement them but these dont do that and are all infantry based. Does this mean that the other chapters will be getting a dedicated Primaris box? Or just Space Wolves since that's just the Tooth and Claw set from last year. Also is that the first named character to be in a box outside the Deathwatch one? I guess you could reuse it as a exalted sorcerer but still that's rather odd.

Weird thing imho to me is the extra five intercessors, aggressors/intercessors make sense as they share the same upgrade sprue.

I would actually like an ultramarines one so their lieutenant is more widely available. (I would also love an Imperial fist one for the same reason with their upgrade sprue, but I guess they need the fix the sprue first).

Oct 26, 2017
Bad, I bet it's going bad.
I personally vote this.

Nihilus turns to grimdark+.

Everything goes to shit, nids everywhere, drukari everywhere, world s falling to chaos left and right.

Space sharks start doing raids on fallen worlds, basically becomes the saving Grace for many loyal forces who end up following them into the outter darks forming a massive mobile task force.

Upon peak shit hits fan, lion is revealed, using the rock as a massive fob for loyalists as he travels around liberating worlds, saving forces that than Jon the rock. Issue is, when they leave an area it falls back to chaos, xenos work 15-20 years

Blood angel territories are ones of the few safe Haven's in nihilus.