• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
I decided to knock something together for my local store's Red Gobbo painting comp, going for best converted category rather than best painted though.

ae773925-741c-48dc-b4hj6b.jpeg

I also spotted the Red Gobbo competition GW were running on Twitter and decided to enter my conversion into that too, and won an item off my wish list!
Brilliant work on both conversion and paintwork

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the paint job (well, the whole build) was a rush just to get it finished in time for the first competition but it seems to be getting a laugh out of people so I guess it's all good enough!

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
genuinely one of the best conversions I've seen - it's so fun but so well executed
Holding the star up top is what really sets it off for me

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, is that saying the entire old Dark Vengeance box is going back on sale for a week? A pretty cool precedent if so, I imagine a limited run of Stormclaw would go down a treat with Ork players.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw that, definitely the end of an era, holy crap. I will miss his tutorials and his general happy painter mood.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
No time to mourn one's passing, new stuff has been announced!
84cc9340.jpg

Now Captain of tge 5th Company, Lazarus.

Also the new Psychic Awakening book, featuring Dark Angels, Grey Knights and Thousand Sons.
9dd7d7e8.jpg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have a huge Genestealer Cult army on the way. Once everything is assembled and painted, I'll look to add more vehicles, including scout sentinals converted for heavy mining and metamorphs. I don't play. I just love the army and want it painted up for display. I can use various models for Necromunda/Killteam if I want to.

40xNeophyte Hybrids
20xGenestealers
18xAcolyte Hybrids
8xAberrants
1xBiophagus
1xBroobcoven
1xAtalan Jackals
1xJackal Alphus
1xAchilles Ridgerunner
1xClamavus
1xLocus
1xMagus
1xNexos
1xSanctus
1xTectonic Fragdrill

I have always been a huge fan of the lore behind Genestealer Cults. I remember when Genestealers were retconned to be the vanguard of Tyranid invasions, which I still think is a great bit of lore. I tried to make my own cult around 1996 or so with Tallarn Desert Raiders painted as if they were in rags which turned out pretty good, but I sold them because I never played 40k. When GW made them an official army and released all these gorgeous models several years ago, I knew I would get them someday. I am a huge fan of the theme. It is so easy to place a cult into virtually any story or situation. They're like the perfect enemy IMO.

I'll get this army set, then do my Blood Angels, then Tyranids. We'll see what happens after that lol.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I started reading Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords trilogy and if that whole thing is as good as the prologue of the first book, then I am in for a treat for sure!

Let's see if this spawns a traitor kill team lol.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
So the Battleforce boxes that GW put out, they're generally only on sale for a year?

Why is that? The Start Collecting sets seem to be evergreen. I'm super bummed I missed the Slaves to Darkness Godsworn Warband. It costs double to buy everything in it separately.
I will have to make sure I buy the Gloomspite and Chaos Space Marine sets before the end of 2020.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
The Battleforces aren't on sale for a whole year - they are Christmas bundles; it's just local shops usually order a bunch so they have some left over for a while.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
So the Battleforce boxes that GW put out, they're generally only on sale for a year?

Why is that? The Start Collecting sets seem to be evergreen. I'm super bummed I missed the Slaves to Darkness Godsworn Warband. It costs double to buy everything in it separately.
I will have to make sure I buy the Gloomspite and Chaos Space Marine sets before the end of 2020.
Yeah, Battleforces are Christmas only basically. They're usually good value so stores might stockpile them since they're very sought after. I know a couple of people who save their budget until this period and then splurge on a couple of boxes to make what force they want then sell the rest.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I started reading Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords trilogy and if that whole thing is as good as the prologue of the first book, then I am in for a treat for sure!

Let's see if this spawns a traitor kill team lol.
It is all that good! I am trying so hard to stick to my Space Wolves, but tiny kill teams inspired by books are the thing that is most likely to get in the way! I have a Dark Apostle and chaos cultists that need a few buddies to make a Word Bearers kill team... and a single sister model that for sure will turn into a kill team for them.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
It is all that good! I am trying so hard to stick to my Space Wolves, but tiny kill teams inspired by books are the thing that is most likely to get in the way! I have a Dark Apostle and chaos cultists that need a few buddies to make a Word Bearers kill team... and a single sister model that for sure will turn into a kill team for them.

Yeah...let's just say last night was the first time I ever filed off an imperial eagle from a space marine torso.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Does anyone have any favorite 40k podcasts? Preferably without giving clicks/listens to far-right weirdos? It feels like such a minefield out there sometimes.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does anyone have any favorite 40k podcasts? Preferably without giving clicks/listens to far-right weirdos? It feels like such a minefield out there sometimes.
The official community one, voxcast, is pretty good, I often listen to it at work. The interviewees are often the miniature designers and background writers and give a lot of insight.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Announcing the Tau psychic awakening book I guess?

Edit : Welp, that was quick, lol.

Tau vs Genestealer Cults

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The penitent engine variant is interesting, like more of a dreadnought-style revered sarcophagus rather than an exposed, tortured heretic.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Looks more like an Iron Maiden, to me.
I suppose you could argue an anointed/torture device/tomb sums up both penitent engines and dreadnoughts to one degree or another given the whole 'gothic death cult' aspect of the Imperium emulating the condition of the Emperor all over the place!

Last edited:

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Valrak also tweeted pics of the boxes and sprues : penitent engines are 2 a box, immolator and exorcist are separate kits.

Oct 25, 2017
SOB range is by far the most consistent recently which kept a similar GW design style whilst also feeling heavily inspired by Blanchitsu artwork. Usually it sways too far away from that Grim Dark feeling into this lighter comical style.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
So GW wants 45€ for a box of ten sisters and 42,50€ for five retributors (because as we all know, heavy weapon plastic is more expensive than normal plastic). I knew how they price their kits and I knew the prices are hiking and I knew this was coming, but I'm still a bit frustrated. I'm sure the vehicles will be at 70-80€ and the lone characters like the hospitailler will be around 30€ range too. Makes me really second guess my original layout of a Sisters army I had in mind.

Oh well, there is always Kill Team. And if you push Kill Team to 200 points and house rule so that you can pick a Dreadnougth or a tank too if you wish, it's more or less how 40k was at the beginning anyway if I am not mistaken.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I've always wanted to get into 40k but I can't paint and that has -always- put me off.

Have fun guys/girls.

Hey now!

1) There are ways to enjoy 40k without painting, even the miniature game. Buying a painted army is one - there are tournament grinder types that will sell their miniatures when the meta shifts. And commission painters (but that might cost a pretty penny).

2) There are some products that really make taking the first steps into painting much easier than before. Check contrast paints from Games Workshop for one.

edit.

also to add some positivity after my last post about the pricing, here is a WIP start of a Night Lords warband for Kill Team I started after I got inspired by Dembski-Bowden.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've always wanted to get into 40k but I can't paint and that has -always- put me off.

Have fun guys/girls.
We'd be happy to help if you did decide to dip a toe in :-)

The advice I always give is that time spent setting up your painting area, and prepping models, and planning out a paint scheme etc, is never time wasted. As long as you work clean, don't to do too much at once, don't expect wonderful results instantly, and look at tutorials for the tools (anything from spray paint to modelling knives- there's always better ways to do things), you'll get there. You don't need to be artistic to paint models, sure it helps, but a planned out colour scheme and practice with tools and practice with a steady hand will get you good looking results.

Tabletop minions has some great videos for people getting into any wargames, from painting tips to work area and project management.

I've been in the hobby on and off for 30+ years and I'm always learning new stuff- I didn't realise the UK climate and time of year was responsible for my spray paint disasters for ages.

As mentioned above, contrast paints are really forgiving and give good results quickly for new painters. I'm starting to combine them with washes and regular paints and the medium now, but I knocked out a space hulk set with them in no time and was really impressed, it got me back into painting and planning out an army again.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Hey now!

1) There are ways to enjoy 40k without painting, even the miniature game. Buying a painted army is one - there are tournament grinder types that will sell their miniatures when the meta shifts. And commission painters (but that might cost a pretty penny).

2) There are some products that really make taking the first steps into painting much easier than before. Check contrast paints from Games Workshop for one.

I've considered commissioning but you're right, it's bloody expensive lol, and I just simply can't paint - shaky hand and a huge lack of patience.

When i was around 14 I got a huge Tau army but sold it as I couldn't paint 'em, one of the reasons I chose them is because I thought it would be easier.. I was given a Nid to paint by a store a few years ago and I just failed horribly, so I'd rather shy away from it - maybe I should try find the sites where folks sell their tournament armies... Space Wolves, Orks or Angry Marines would make me giddy, although I haven't look up anything in a -long- time and I adore Lovecraftian things so perhaps I'd sneak towards Chaos or Nids.

We'd be happy to help if you did decide to dip a toe in :-)

The advice I always give is that time spent setting up your painting area, and prepping models, and planning out a paint scheme etc, is never time wasted. As long as you work clean, don't to do too much at once, don't expect wonderful results instantly, and look at tutorials for the tools (anything from spray paint to modelling knives- there's always better ways to do things), you'll get there. You don't need to be artistic to paint models, sure it helps, but a planned out colour scheme and practice with tools and practice with a steady hand will get you good looking results.

Tabletop minions has some great videos for people getting into any wargames, from painting tips to work area and project management.

I've been in the hobby on and off for 30+ years and I'm always learning new stuff- I didn't realise the UK climate and time of year was responsible for my spray paint disasters for ages.

As mentioned above, contrast paints are really forgiving and give good results quickly for new painters. I'm starting to combine them with washes and regular paints and the medium now, but I knocked out a space hulk set with them in no time and was really impressed, it got me back into painting and planning out an army again.

Aye the steady hand is where I fail, I appreciate the thought though buddy - I'll check it out but I just get destroyed when I realise how bad I am and having a nice looking army is something I feel like I *need* before I play, even though I know some folks just basecoat and then play.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've considered commissioning but you're right, it's bloody expensive lol, and I just simply can't paint - shaky hand and a huge lack of patience.

When i was around 14 I got a huge Tau army but sold it as I couldn't paint 'em, one of the reasons I chose them is because I thought it would be easier.. I was given a Nid to paint by a store a few years ago and I just failed horribly, so I'd rather shy away from it - maybe I should try find the sites where folks sell their tournament armies... Space Wolves, Orcs or Angry Marines would make me giddy.

Aye the steady hand is where I fail, I appreciate the thought though buddy - I'll check it out but I just get destroyed when I realise how bad I am and having a nice looking army is something I feel like I *need* before I play, even though I know some folks just basecoat and then play.
Are you being put off by models you see online? often stuff on social media by people claiming 'its my first one' look amazing compared to my first efforts in the early 90s, blobby nightmares that they were! I think the wealth of tutorials, and far better tools and paints, helps a lot now. When I was a kid nobody played Imperial Fists (yellow space marines) purely because the yellow paints were so bad at the time, if it wasn't over crisp pure white it looked awful :D

Hypothetically, just out of interest, do any of the factions particularly appeal to you in terms of a new starting point? Not trying to sell you on the hobby, just curious!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh, there's a video on minions about steady hands- basically bracing your elbows on the table for a stable platform, and then having your wrists together somehow. Remember it's like rock climbing- three points of contact at all times :D

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Are you being put off by models you see online? often stuff on social media by people claiming 'its my first one' look amazing compared to my first efforts in the early 90s, blobby nightmares that they were! I think the wealth of tutorials, and far better tools and paints, helps a lot now. When I was a kid nobody played Imperial Fists (yellow space marines) purely because the yellow paints were so bad at the time, if it wasn't over crisp pure white it looked awful :D

Hypothetically, just out of interest, do any of the factions appeal to you? Not trying to sell you on the hobby, just curious!

I have been sorta put off by online stuff, however it's just my lack-of-ability that puts me off too, it really would be a blobby mess and I wouldn't want to use it - I'm too much of a perfectionist lol.

I know this can mean that I'd never really get a custom paint job but to be honest if I find an army/chapter/creed I like, I can just buy pre-painted stuff.

When it comes to it as I said in the previous post - "Space Wolves, Orks or Angry Marines would make me giddy, although I haven't look up anything in a -long- time and I adore Lovecraftian things so perhaps I'd sneak towards Chaos or Nids. "

I keep going away from this game because I can't paint, but then see things like Space Wolves and get the codex, and start to think of an army I want and get hyped up again, I don't know anything that's happened with the game in the past 3 years and my past experience playing is limited to about 2 games, I had one as Nid and another as Space Marines - I like Tyranids but the painting always seemed so daunting.

Oh, there's a video on minions about steady hands- basically bracing your elbows on the table for a stable platform, and then having your wrists together somehow. Remember it's like rock climbing- three points of contact at all times :D

Aye, I'm dyspraxic though which means even if I do things like that, my hand will sometimes decide to think a certain piece of the model needs a blot of paint lol; it's no fun.

Edit: I legit don't care about them being "pro painted" I just would like them to look "good"

And when I bought my Tau army the dual-devil fish tactic was pretty popular, then I think they changed the rules.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017

Edit: I wrote this before seeing your post about having dyspraxia, so sorry if there is some insensitivity in it.

I hear you, something I suffer from too and it has ruined a mini or two during my hobby. Disabilities aside, I am in the belief that patience is really the only thing anyone needs for this hobby. Everything else just develops by practicing. And patience too, I've found, but seems to be the hardest one to develop.

What I'm saying is I get what you're saying, but also that you absolutely *can* paint, everyone can, on their own personal skill level. But it really does ask for some patience, yes. Patience in the painting itself, like letting a layer dry completely before putting on another one and patience in not trying to be a master right away and looking at the progress instead of the mistakes.