• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have been sorta put off by online stuff, however it's just my lack-of-ability that puts me off too, it really would be a blobby mess and I wouldn't want to use it - I'm too much of a perfectionist lol.

I know this can mean that I'd never really get a custom paint job but to be honest if I find an army/chapter/creed I like, I can just buy pre-painted stuff

When it comes to it as I said in the previous post - "Space Wolves, Orks or Angry Marines would make me giddy, although I haven't look up anything in a -long- time and I adore Lovecraftian things so perhaps I'd sneak towards Chaos or Nids. "]

I keep going away from this game because I can't paint, but then see things like Space Wolves and get the codex, and start to think of an army I want and get hyped up again, I don't know anything that's happened with the game in the past 3 years and my past experience playing is limited to about 2 games, I had one as Nid and another as Space Marines - I like Tyranids but the painting always seemed so daunting.

Aye, I'm dyspraxic though which means even if I do things like that, my hand will sometimes decide to think a certain piece of the model needs a blot of paint lol; it's no fun.
Oh I see. Tyranids with contrast paints could work well for you, as it's less about precise detail, and more about staining the detail that is already there.

See what you think of this:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Edit: I wrote this before seeing your post about having dyspraxia, so sorry if there is some insensitivity in it.

I hear you, something I suffer from too and it has ruined a mini or two during my hobby. Disabilities aside, I am in the belief that patience is really the only thing anyone needs for this hobby. Everything else just develops by practicing. And patience too, I've found, but seems to be the hardest one to develop.

What I'm saying is I get what you're saying, but also that you absolutely *can* paint, everyone can, on their own personal skill level. But it really does ask for some patience, yes. Patience in the painting itself, like letting a layer dry completely before putting on another one and patience in not trying to be a master right away and looking at the progress instead of the mistakes.
Agree with all of this. There's an article in the last white dwarf about painting scenery with contrast paints, and laying a building down after each side, painted side up, for fifteen minutes to let such large quantities of the paint pool in the recesses rather than at the bottom. That's a level of patience that wouldn't normally occur to me when making scenery so it's good to be reminded to slow down, take a break, or move on to another piece and production line it to get the effect you want.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Edit: I wrote this before seeing your post about having dyspraxia, so sorry if there is some insensitivity in it.

I hear you, something I suffer from too and it has ruined a mini or two during my hobby. Disabilities aside, I am in the belief that patience is really the only thing anyone needs for this hobby. Everything else just develops by practicing. And patience too, I've found, but seems to be the hardest one to develop.

What I'm saying is I get what you're saying, but also that you absolutely *can* paint, everyone can, on their own personal skill level. But it really does ask for some patience, yes. Patience in the painting itself, like letting a layer dry completely before putting on another one and patience in not trying to be a master right away and looking at the progress instead of the mistakes.

It's no insensitive, if anything it was my fault for not mentioning it.

And perhaps I *should* just find a basic scheme and try to do it, I can't really let myself be held back by being put off when I was a kid - I just think it means I'd end up going Space Marines and not really enjoying it that much...

I almost got into Salmanders once, not sure why but something clicked with me.

Though i do like mechs and huge suits of armour

Agree with all of this. There's an article in the last white dwarf about painting scenery with contrast paints, and laying a building down after each side, painted side up, for fifteen minutes to let such large quantities of the paint pool in the recesses rather than at the bottom. That's a level of patience that wouldn't normally occur to me when making scenery so it's good to be reminded to slow down, take a break, or move on to another piece and production line it to get the effect you want.

I did look at contrast paints when they were first mentioned here, so aye perhaps I should just try with them too, it does seem less daunting than when you had to apply about 3 coats in the first place.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
One more thing before I leave to pick up my kid from daycare. I saw Tyranids mentioned and want to post one of mine.

This has

black spray paint: very little patience or accuracy needed
drybrushed blueish grey paint: very little patience or accuracy needed
grey paint all over the brains and green wash: some patience or accuracy needed, but not a huge deal
white paint on the a few details: some patience or accuracy needed, but not a huge deal
black wash all over: very little patience or accuracy needed
gloss varnish all over: very little patience or accuracy needed

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
One more thing before I leave to pick up my kid from daycare. I saw Tyranids mentioned and want to post one of mine.

This has

black spray paint: very little patience or accuracy needed
drybrushed blueish grey paint: very little patience or accuracy needed
grey paint all over the brains and green wash: some patience or accuracy needed, but not a huge deal
white paint on the a few details: some patience or accuracy needed, but not a huge deal
black wash all over: very little patience or accuracy needed
gloss varnish all over: very little patience or accuracy needed

... That looks pretty bad ass.

Thank you for your help guys, and damn you for making me consider this game even more.

Edit: Only just saw this.

Oh I see. Tyranids with contrast paints could work well for you, as it's less about precise detail, and more about staining the detail that is already there.

See what you think of this:

May have to consider it, it looks pretty simple... Dang.

The only *two* things I have now that somewhat dig are I am likely to paint onto the wrong area by accident, for example if I paint the base I'll accidentally touch the hoof at some point - Even if I try not to.

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017

Thank you for your help guys, and damn you for making me consider this game even more.

The only *two* things I have now that somewhat dig are I am likely to paint onto the wrong area by accident, for example if I paint the base I'll accidentally touch the hoof at some point - Even if I try not to.

Thanks, and totally not sorry. That's what you get for stepping into this thread. :)

And regarding getting the basing paint on the feet - hey, that's what we call weathering!

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Thanks, and totally not sorry. That's what you get for stepping into this thread. :)

And regarding getting the basing paint on the feet - hey, that's what we call weathering!

I actually figured that perhaps I could just pre-make the base and perhaps add the figure to it afterwards?

Edit: Also would you mind if I "borrowed" your paint scheme? I guess I just continue in the order of paints you listed?

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
My next 40K army will be Tyranids because of Contrast paints. I've still got plenty of other things to finish before starting into that though as I'm currently assembling Ogor Mawtribes and Ironjawz armies for AoS :P

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

While we're talking nids and contrast, this is from the space hulk set I painted to try them out. The beige and black are one coat of contrast bone/black respectively over the bone spray paint, and the purple is just a purple wash I bought by accident thinking it was a contrast.

The trick with mistakes is to plan your colours and do the darker ones first, then you can patch up any mistakes with the base coat, and half the mistakes you then make won't even show up. Like here I did all the black first, then touched up with a bone base coat, and you can hardly see where the brown contrast has gone on the black at all. Even where you can it just looks like rust or whatever! I always write a list of the rough scheme I'm going to use and then re-order it according to what will be the easiest order to paint like that.
8aNh0B.jpeg

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
While we're talking nids and contrast, this is from the space hulk set I painted to try them out. The beige and black are one coat of contrast bone/black respectively over the bone spray paint, and the purple is just a purple wash I bought by accident thinking it was a contrast.

The trick with mistakes is to plan your colours and do the darker ones first, then you can patch up any mistakes with the base coat, and half the mistakes you then make won't even show up. Like here I did all the black first, then touched up with a bone base coat, and you can hardly see where the brown contrast has gone on the black at all. Even where you can it just looks like rust or whatever! I always write a list of the rough scheme I'm going to use and then re-order it according to what will be the easiest order to paint like that.
8aNh0B.jpeg

I'd be -perfectly- happy with that, it looks great dude.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Thanks! Yeah I really think the contrast paint did the work for me on nids as they are so detailed on both the skin tone areas and the carapace. Absolutely made for contrast, along with stuff like zombies/plague troops etc.

That video where he used the contrast paint with the white base coat blew my mind when I first saw it - it made me feel like with effort I could do that haha.

I've downloaded battlescribe and I'm currently gawking over Genesteeler 500pt armies... You guys suck x).

Edit: I would *love* to have a black body paint scheme with silver claws and purple highlights or whatever, but I think it would kill me to try lol.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That video where he used the contrast paint with the white base coat blew my mind when I first saw it - it made me feel like with effort I could do that haha.

I've downloaded battlescribe and I'm currently gawking over Genesteeler 500pt armies... You guys suck x).

Edit: I would *love* to have a black body paint scheme with silver claws and purple highlights or whatever, but I think it would kill me to try lol.
It's like a paint system- there are two spray paints that go with it, a bone one for warm/organic tones and a grey one for cool tones. I was really pleased with the wraithbone spray then 'skeleton horde' (I think) contrast over the top

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
It's like a paint system- there are two spray paints that go with it, a bone one for warm/organic tones and a grey one for cool tones. I was really pleased with the wraithbone spray then 'skeleton horde' (I think) contrast over the top

Damn it... I'm considering the Tyranid beginner box + maybe another set of genestealers, and going with this.

b4uFWS2.png

---

I'm not sure about the Trygon/Prime/Mawloc - I like the idea of the Mawloc but I'm guessing with how I would want to play the game, charging in would be what I do and the Mawloc can't do that.

Also when it comes to painting I'm going to see if I can get a model of one genestealer somewhere, and then buy the paints and try my best.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Damn it... I'm considering the Tyranid beginner box + maybe another set of genestealers, and going with this.

b4uFWS2.png

---

I'm not sure about the Trygon/Prime/Mawloc - I like the idea of the Mawloc but I'm guessing with how I would want to play the game, charging in would be what I do and the Mawloc can't do that.

Also when it comes to painting I'm going to see if I can get a model of one genestealer somewhere, and then buy the paints and try my best.
The Tyranid Trygon is probably my favourite of the range. Yeah, grab some cheap 'stealers and try a few test ones!

I have to admit I haven't played 40k in 15 years and WFB in at least five, but I do like to paint models and still arrange them roughly into plausible forces according to the background. I really want to paint some Soriatas, mainly because the Exorcist sums up the setting for me, and my brain still thinks '30 foot troops, an assault unit, a couple of walkers and a command unit to 'round it out'' :D
I've got a colour scheme and some scenery in mind, then hopefully I can arrange game with some friends!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
On the topic of Trygon / Mawloc and any other of the big Tyranid monsters and their weapon options.

My experience is that not a lot of non Tyranid players can tell them from another so you can absolutely build the Trygon and at some times play it as a Mawloc. Heck, I'm a Tyranid player and I can't always tell all the different "guns" from eachother.

And H1PSTER you can absolutely use my paint scheme if you want, or make a purple variant. It's very fast and pretty easy way of painting from a time Contrast paints did not exist. I can write down a more detailed guide if you wish. That being said, I would probably go with Contrast if I was starting now.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
On the topic of Trygon / Mawloc and any other of the big Tyranid monsters and their weapon options.

My experience is that not a lot of non Tyranid players can tell them from another so you can absolutely build the Trygon and at some times play it as a Mawloc. Heck, I'm a Tyranid player and I can't always tell all the different "guns" from eachother.

And H1PSTER you can absolutely use my paint scheme if you want, or make a purple variant. It's very fast and pretty easy way of painting from a time Contrast paints did not exist. I can write down a more detailed guide if you wish. That being said, I would probably go with Contrast if I was starting now.

I'd appreciate that, I wouldn't be able to buy em straight away however I'll make sure to post here when I do, if you folks go through the effort for me I'd put it in to show you how I've done.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd appreciate that, I wouldn't be able to buy em straight away however I'll make sure to post here when I do, if you folks go through the effort for me I'd put it in to show you how I've done.
Hey, if you do that do tag me, I'd love to see how you're getting on! Same for when you're getting going with them too :-)

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
5d9856c2.jpg

New Catachans, maybe?
I hope so, but at the same time I don't want to wait for new Catachan models because I was going to start a Catachan Kill Team after I finished my Ultramarines. :(

But knowing GW it's probably some new special Catachan character in resin or something. Guard almost never get anything new.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
That hand could be ork as well. Imagine it green.
I thought this too but all Ork (and even Orruk in AOS) models have distinct claw like finger nails. The hand on that model has none at all. So it is definitely human. Also, the small watch like device on the wrist reminds me a lot of Sly Marbo's own watch. Though this could just as easily be Primaris Scouts for all we know.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Just popping in to say scrrw you guys for getting me interested again 😂.

So I've been reading and it seems like where I was going wrong is with my patience, it seems like all I really have to so is base coat wait for it to completely dry and then wash, it doesn't seem too tricky - I'd definitely need to learn the right paint order so I can cover up mistakes though.

I've read that you'd never really wash pure black, so was considering that with my hopefully future Tyranids, would it be worth getting a decent dark grey and washing it with black and then purple? Or highlighting it with purple - I have no idea how to really do these techniques but I really want to be prepared so I can try and not just give up this time.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the Sisterspocalypse is almost upon us. I suspect at the minimum I'll order a box of battle sisters, maybe a canoness too. We'll see on Saturday!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well, the Sisterspocalypse is almost upon us. I suspect at the minimum I'll order a box of battle sisters, maybe a canoness too. We'll see on Saturday!
I'm looking forward to settling down with the book, it's art and lore and photos and planning out the force I'm going to build. They said on the community site that all the infantry (sister squads, dominion, retributor, celestian etc) have interchangable arms and heads so I'm going to buy several boxes together to mix them up a bit and build my own Canoness and command squad.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Well StaffyManasse and Redcrayon I went into a store, spent more than I wanted to lol, but they taught me a little about the techniques.

Mostly dry brushing as I said I wanted something kinda simple - the Space Marine I painted looks -nothing- like something I'd want to take to a table, but I brush-base coated it in the black and then dry brushed two types of purple and silver.

It was easier than I thought it would be, and as this isn't a scheme I'd use with this army, I tried to imagine what it would look like on 'Nids and I figured it would be alright - These are the brushes & paints I walked away with.

t1LxHgg.jpg

Feels like it could look okay really, I might need one more colour but unsure... Wasn't a huge fan of the dark purple on the figure which is why I opted for a more "full on" purple, but that can be darkened - I think I might need one more colour or something to use with the Nids, but I'm unsure really - Silver is for teeth/eyes/claws

PUd075G.jpg

k83tSb8.jpg

I actually felt a lot more confident doing it this time - though dry brushing Space Marines isn't something I'd see myself doing in the future, too many little details I'd be bothered about lol.

I didn't try and be overly neat - I just wanted to get the dry brushing technique down and when I saw how easily the silver went on the gun it kind blew my mind.

I ordered a Genestealer off eBay with Rending claws so I'll give it a try when I've practiced more on some random 3d printed models - because I didn't spray coat the marine it is blotchy in some places but I didn't want to commit to buying spray this early on.

Edit: A few more pictures Including the AoS model my girlfriend did - she's way neater than me!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well StaffyManasse and Redcrayon I went into a store, spent more than I wanted to lol, but they taught me a little about the techniques.

Mostly dry brushing as I said I wanted something kinda simple - the Space Marine I painted looks -nothing- like something I'd want to take to a table, but I brush-base coated it in the black and then dry brushed two types of purple and silver.

It was easier than I thought it would be, and as this isn't a scheme I'd use with this army, I tried to imagine what it would look like on 'Nids and I figured it would be alright - These are the brushes & paints I walked away with.

t1LxHgg.jpg

Feels like it could look okay really, I might need one more colour but unsure... Wasn't a huge fan of the dark purple on the figure which is why I opted for a more "full on" purple, but that can be darkened - I think I might need one more colour or something to use with the Nids, but I'm unsure really - Silver is for teeth/eyes/claws

PUd075G.jpg

k83tSb8.jpg

I actually felt a lot more confident doing it this time - though dry brushing Space Marines isn't something I'd see myself doing in the future, too many little details I'd be bothered about lol.

I didn't try and be overly neat - I just wanted to get the dry brushing technique down and when I saw how easily the silver went on the gun it kind blew my mind.
Your highlights on the armoured glove are great!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Aye it will be nice to see what the genestealer I've ordered looks like with a similar scheme.

If I was to mix the purple I have with the black do you think that would possibly make for better skin and I could use the pure black with purple for the chitin?
I think black and purple for the skin, then pure black for the chitin, might miss out on the contrast between the two- have you thought about using a different purple for the skin, or maybe a different one to highlight the black? What you could do is bracket it- mix small amounts in darker and darker quantities on the palette, a row of skin options and a row of chitin options, and see what works! Pink will give you less harsh/cool highlights from purple than white will, that's another option.

Last edited:

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
I think black and purple for the skin, then pure black for the chitin, might miss out on the contrast between the two in two- have you thought about using a different purple for the skin, or maybe a different one to highlight the black? What you could do is bracket it- mix small amounts darker and darker quantities on the palette, a row of skin options and a row of chitin options, and see what works! Pink will give you less harsh/cool highlights from purple than white will, that's another option.

I could get a brighter purple, like genestealer purple, I'm not hugely sure how I'm going to go about it but I've got time to think.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the battle sisters Retributors come with more than one of each type of heavy weapon? I'm hoping for 2 of each but wanted to see if news was available.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
H1PSTER looks like you're on the right track!

I made my Nids very monochrome by choice as I wanted to pay homage to the Alien franchise, but picking tow different colours for the chitin and the skin will absolutely work great too. And for the amount of black versus the blue-gray on mine, I did what could be called heavy drybrushing (or perhaps stippling, I still don't know the right term) where I left a tad more paint into the drybrush that normally would and let the paint stick into the flat areas also. Then I used Nuln Oil (the gloss variety) to bring it back and applied a gloss varnish with a brush. I use this one. I also have a few different blue-grays and grays that I like to change around for some subtle variation. They are living creatures after all.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Been thinking over the evening (heh) I neglected what you folks said, I'm going to return it all and buy this - https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/army-painter-brushes/61489-hobby-starter-brush-set

With Black Templar Contrast, Shyish Purple and either Terminatus Stone/Underhive Ash for dry brushing... When it comes to the Wraithbone Spray I'm unsure if I should get a spray - despite better coverage - because I am unsure if I'll actually get into painting, so would a pot be okay to begin with?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Been thinking over the evening (heh) I neglected what you folks said, I'm going to return it all and buy this - https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/army-painter-brushes/61489-hobby-starter-brush-set

With Black Templar Contrast, Shyish Purple and either Terminatus Stone/Underhive Ash for dry brushing... When it comes to the Wraithbone Spray I'm unsure if I should get a spray - despite better coverage - because I am unsure if I'll actually get into painting, so would a pot be okay to begin with?
Yeah, you can absolutely use just a pot to start with- of the two, you'll need the pot anyway to touch up mistakes before applying contrast paint.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I saw the first sisters kits and the Codex are up for pre-order today- does anyone know when they are available to pick up in-store?