• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have good eyesight, can anyone tell if the Battle Sisters Box have 2 of each special weapon type?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't have good eyesight, can anyone tell if the Battle Sisters Box have 2 of each special weapon type?
Yeah, it looks like the frame they showed on the community site from that box is a sort of 'command' frame that has 2 storm bolters, 2 meltaguns, 2 flamers, an icon, some squad leader options etc. I suspect there's also a different frame in the box that just has troopers with bolters on it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it looks like the frame they showed on the community site from that box is a sort of 'command' frame that has 2 storm bolters, 2 meltaguns, 2 flamers, an icon, some squad leader options etc. I suspect there's also a different frame in the box that just has troopers with bolters on it.
Ok that's good, that helps me decide how many to buy. I'm gonna try and be as conservative as I can and just spend enough to make a unique aesthetic army.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ok that's good, that helps me decide how many to buy. I'm gonna try and be as conservative as I can and just spend enough to make a unique aesthetic army.
I'm kinda thinking I want a unit of 5 celestians as a bodyguard for my Canoness, a Dominion squad, a Retributor squad and a couple of standard infantry units, so it seems like I'm going to be fairly familiar with those sprues by the time I'm done as that's ~35 infantry! I think I'll mix it up with painting something else in between groups of five of them, the Hospitaller, Exorcist and plastic Penitent engines all interest me too, but the new Seraphim look amazing. To be honest I'm impressed with the whole range. Like the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Genestealer Cult, when they do the whole range at once they really knock it out of the park these days.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda thinking I want a unit of 5 celestians as a bodyguard for my Canoness, a Dominion squad, a Retributor squad and a couple of standard infantry units, so it seems like I'm going to be fairly familiar with those sprues by the time I'm done as that's ~35 infantry! I think I'll mix it up with painting something else in between groups of five of them, the Hospitaller, Exorcist and plastic Penitent engines all interest me too, but the new Seraphim look amazing. To be honest I'm impressed with the whole range. Like the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Genestealer Cult, when they do the whole range at once they really knock it out of the park these days.

I'm going to eventually try and have a full Commandery (~200 Battle Sisters) to complement my Iron Hands Company but for now I'm going with 2 Battle Sisters and 2 Retributors packs.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed a box o' Sisters and the datacards. Given the anemic release I made it out safely. If they had released the terrain piece as well I would've grabbed it instantly.

From the GW website description of the "Dominions and Celestians" box which as far as I understand it is the regular Sisters squad box : "This kit builds one squad each of 5 Dominions and 5 Celestians, plus one Incensor Cherub. The Dominions are equipped with boltguns, though up to four of them can instead be armed with your choice of special weapon (storm bolter, meltagun or flamer), and four of each special weapon are incuded in the kit for maximum choice. The Celestians are equipped with boltguns, though up to two of them can be armed with a special weapon. Alternatively, one Celestian may carry a special weapon while the other one bears a heavy weapon (heavy bolter or heavy flamer)."

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I want to build a small Retributor heavy gunline type force, so I ordered a box of Sisters and a box of Retributors. That combined with the army box nets me 25 infantry strong force with 3 heavy bolters, 3 heavy flamers and 2 multi-meltas.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I grabbed a box o' Sisters and the datacards. Given the anemic release I made it out safely. If they had released the terrain piece as well I would've grabbed it instantly.

From the GW website description of the "Dominions and Celestians" box which as far as I understand it is the regular Sisters squad box : "This kit builds one squad each of 5 Dominions and 5 Celestians, plus one Incensor Cherub. The Dominions are equipped with boltguns, though up to four of them can instead be armed with your choice of special weapon (storm bolter, meltagun or flamer), and four of each special weapon are incuded in the kit for maximum choice. The Celestians are equipped with boltguns, though up to two of them can be armed with a special weapon. Alternatively, one Celestian may carry a special weapon while the other one bears a heavy weapon (heavy bolter or heavy flamer)."
Ah that's good to know, thanks!

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
So I've finally ordered the brushes, and I've changed my paints from Shyish Purple and Templar Black to these three, mostly because I've read numerous times that Shyish Purple is quite dark, I've decided to go for Hive Fleet Kraken, and with contrast paints I have -so much- more confidence, alongside being able to do Blood Angels if I ever want to.

9UzTlE0.png

So yeah by the 18th I'll have everything sans glue, though I do have some tamiya extra thin cement from when I build Gunpla, that I might try use, unless you folks say it'll be bad?

Edit: Bought some Revell Contacta Professional - figured I might as well!

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
So I've finally ordered the brushes, and I've changed my paints from Shyish Purple and Templar Black to these three, mostly because I've read numerous times that Shyish Purple is quite dark, I've decided to go for Hive Fleet Kraken, and with contrast paints I have -so much- more confidence, alongside being able to do Blood Angels if I ever want to.

9UzTlE0.png

So yeah by the 18th I'll have everything sans glue, though I do have some tamiya extra thin cement from when I build Gunpla, that I might try use, unless you folks say it'll be bad?

Edit: Bought some Revell Contacta Professional - figured I might as well!

Looks good! Tanya Extra thin is great, I use it as well. The brush on application is a game changer.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
This last week of waiting to finally have plastic sisters is killing me.
I've wanted them since middle school, it's been such a long time coming!

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I also have some new models in the mail like all you sisters folks! Good ol' faithful Word Bearers! Something to go back and forth with the Space Wolves.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was even interested in the fleur-de-lys dice as both a Sisters and a Bretonnian player, but they've sold out online already! I expect they''' be on ebay for double the price next week.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
After 'Ritual of the Damned' (Grey Knights/Dark Angels vs Thousand Sons), it looks like the next Psychic Awakening book is the Tau getting a kicking from the Death Guard.

Just reading this had me thinking back to so many fantasy fiction books and RPGs where creatures (like the Imperium) are translated as speaking mostly in perfect English, but some of the factions stick in a load of extra vowels and apostrophes for a few keywords to sound well, more alien. It just makes the names harder to remember for me.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Those dice look terrible to me, unbelievably hard to read at a glance.

I know what you mean- I prefer standard dice for actual play to any of the themed ones, but I do quite like themed ones for objective markers, wound counts, miracle dice etc as they then don't get picked up along with the regular ones.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
I was even interested in the fleur-de-lys dice as both a Sisters and a Bretonnian player, but they've sold out online already! I expect they''' be on ebay for double the price next week.
Just seen that darksphere.co.uk is getting a load of those dice in on Saturday. Not sure if you can order from there, but it is an option

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Some lore has Tau naively expirementing with gsc, but I assume there was a gsc aboard the 4th sphere fleet.
I always find myself oddly fascinated by lore where it covers xenos/xenos interaction. My first codices were the second edition 'nid and Eldar ones, a and I was fascinated by the brief mentions of a Hive Fleet Behemoth splinter attacking Alaitoc before the invasion of Macragge that underpinned Codex Ultramarines the following year. Also the 'Doom of the Eldar' board game that had Iyanden suffer the same fate, the art of these weird samurai space elves (Dire Avenger exarch in retrospect) facing Geiger-esque aliens was one of the things that blew my mind as a kid more than the (comparatively limited) imperial range at the time. Maybe it's that we just don't see enough of it due to the Imperium making up half the factions.

Just seen that darksphere.co.uk is getting a load of those dice in on Saturday. Not sure if you can order from there, but it is an option
Thanks, much appreciated!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Some lore has Tau naively expirementing with gsc, but I assume there was a gsc aboard the 4th sphere fleet.
They've also had some interactions with them in the usual ways. 4th sphere Tau being crazy racist probably limits the amount of interaction, but figure there's probably something.

Worth noting it might not be a 3 way showdown - the Death Guard were in that short, but if they run into the full force of the Tau it'll be because they already pushed past Shadowsun, who's the one we saw with the GSC models. So it could be Shadowsun vs Genestealers and the ret of the Tau vs the Death Guard. Hope we get Farsight, too, but I think he's getting a novel this fall so probably not.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I got a genius scheme of hobby overlap to share.

So, as you all know, 40k can be an expensive hobby at times. Little over a year ago I managed to pick up another such money sink nerd hobby from my childhood: Magic the Gathering. Got my wife into MTG too. She got me some boosters for Christmas and I ended up getting two cards of good value I really have no use myself. I'm thinking I can trade them in for some other cards...and then it hit me! The same store I would be trading in my cards also carries Warhammer 40k!

Long story short: I'm getting a "free" Exorcist tank by trading in over-costed cardboard for over-costed plastic.

tenor.gif

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So very much this, lol. The reason I hopped back on the minis train is because I dropped my pvc figures collecting.
I got back in as painting feels both creative and constructive, and is something I can do after my kid is asleep. I kinda look at it that the kits are much more complex and detailed than they used to be, so I take more time on them. My sisters force is definitely going to be a slow-and-steady project as it's not like I get to play much anymore.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Bought some Winsor & Newton series 7 brushes last week after seeing Darren Latham using them in his tutorials and oh my god they're some of the best hobby related things I've ever purchased. I went from not being able to do edge highlighting and other finer details to doing it with relative ease. Also, since they're technically water color brushes they work great for panel lining, recess shading, and glazing on models. My space marines look fucking AWSEOME and I couldn't be happier.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Everything's arrived sans my Genestealer, I do have the space marine model I can practice on - and a few 3d printed models, but I'm nervous, dang it.

MRO4GL8.jpg

Edit: This hobby sucks, I'm now considering 500 points of Tyranid Genestealers and then just going GSC - Damn it! My wallet hurts!

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bad at taking pictures and stuff but I think my highlighting work can still be seen here
82146152_2706016519487794_6121439092522614784_n.jpg

Looking forward to getting some painting done to day and finally getting at least halfway done my Kill Team :)

I haven't highlighted the black yet because it TERRIFIES me. Will give it a crack later today though.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Thanks! Yeah, I probably should. I'd share more of what I've painted here if I wasn't embarrassed by my photography. lol

Hey if something like the above helps then that's cool.

I took this picture of my first ever Gunpla with just a sheet of sandpaper sloped against a wall - even if you use a sheet of paper it would help produce a similar thing :), hold it up to a light if you can't be bothered to do any of what I've mentioned lol - that'll be good enough too :).

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Nazo those are some sharp edge highlight, good job!

I share your pain in trying to take pictures. It's not full polar night, but still pretty dark up here so taking any worthwhile pictures of minis is hard. And I have a small booth just like H1PSTER said, but it's in the closet, somewhere.

Oh well, getting a proper set-up in a few months when we move to our new house so it's getting better.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Armor recipie for my word bearers red armor so far is frigging Rhinox Hide, Khorn Red, Evil suns scarlet, carroburg crimson, agrax earthshade, yellow and red glaze, lamenters yellow, and some purple wash. Can't ever keep it simple lol!

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
So I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here as I'm trying to paint from black to wraithbone - I''ve tried to thin the paints and apply two layers - I do need more, but I feel like the paint is still too thick? I'm using my missus old brushes before the army painter ones - potato picture because I don't want to fiddle around too much.

Edit: I think I'm going to need to buy spray, aren't I?

Edit 2: I think these crappy brushes are part of the issue, maybe I should just use my new ones... Hmm.

Edit 3: I'm actually impressed by how "okay" this is after a few more layers, there are bits which are missing but I like it so far.

Edit 4: I really don't think I'll be using these brushes again lol.

Edit 5: Well, it doesn't look -too- bad! My shaky hand kicked my ass though.

Last edit: Given up after how bad these brushes are, The brush wouldn't paint directly but I -really- like this shade of red, bring on the 'Nids!

Last edited:

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Painting a light colour over black is difficult. Best is to just prime in a light colour from the beginning.

If you can not, you should instead go something like black, to light brown, to even lighter white brown, white colour.

Something like black, Zandri Dust, Ushabt bone, Wraithbone.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Painting a light colour over black is difficult. Best is to just prime in a light colour from the beginning.

If you can not, you should instead go something like black, to light brown, to even lighter white brown, white colour.

Something like black, Zandri Dust, Ushabt bone, Wraithbone.

Aye, I just don't have the ability to do that, plus the model I was given (As they didn't have any Nids or wraithbone) was black so I had to make do sadly.

At least I've learned a lesson, and the result in the end bigged up my confidence to do more.

I got a genius scheme of hobby overlap to share.

So, as you all know, 40k can be an expensive hobby at times. Little over a year ago I managed to pick up another such money sink nerd hobby from my childhood: Magic the Gathering. Got my wife into MTG too. She got me some boosters for Christmas and I ended up getting two cards of good value I really have no use myself. I'm thinking I can trade them in for some other cards...and then it hit me! The same store I would be trading in my cards also carries Warhammer 40k!

Long story short: I'm getting a "free" Exorcist tank by trading in over-costed cardboard for over-costed plastic.

If you are only playing with your wife, go with the duel decks.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Seen this from the latest White Dwarf? Regarding the Silent King of the Necrons:

82374632_1015872077664nj29.jpg

82397722_101587207768r3jgx.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of that yet! Are they talking about Tyranids? Something else? Or is it Eldar trickery? Lies to focus the Imperium against their ancient enemy?

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
That does sound like the Silent King creates the Tyranids when he went into the void between galaxies. Obviously it will be another 'never to be confirmed' bits of lore added to the growing pile of Necron related stuff.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Dragon was the dangerous one.

thr Dragon is one of the surviving C'tan. The Silent King was the Necron who made the deal with the C'tan and oversaw the biotransferrance process. He also led the rebellion against the C'tan and then ordered the Necrons to sleep for 60million years whilst he went into the void between galaxies as self imposed exile for what he has done.

Previous lore has him returning because of the Tyranids threat - his plan for the Necrons is to take over an existing species to regain morta flesh (and a soul), and the Tyranids would prevent that. This piece of lore seems to directly contradict that, as it implies he made the Tyranids deliberately to wipe out all organic life.