• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I took a glance at the assembly instruction and saw that basically each sister body has about two options of assembly and that's it.

They have so much character though, can't be mad about it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes, I took a glance at the assembly instruction and saw that basically each sister body has about two options of assembly and that's it.

They have so much character though, can't be mad about it.
I'm planning on picking up the Retributor kit at the same time and seeing if that helps to give more options.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
While on the topic, the Sister with Heavy Bolter was major paint to assemble. At one point you have to clue in nine(!) different spots at the same time and take care for everything to line up.

Yeah, I'm going to post mine when I get to painting for sure. It will be a while though. I'm going to start painting them when I get my airbrush setup in our new house when it's finally done and we get to move in. It's fine though, I get to take my time assembling everything. I got my Exorcist too the other day. Painting that one up will be a load of work for sure.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
While on the topic, the Sister with Heavy Bolter was major paint to assemble. At one point you have to clue in nine(!) different spots at the same time and take care for everything to line up.
Eek!

That was going to be one of my first picks- I want to get a sisters kill team up and running so I can play some games.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
The Sister with Heavy Bolter is my favourite mini from the old range. She was (and still is) my favourite.

I hope the new one will make me feel the same, even if the size ratio is not the same. Is the Retributor one different than the squad version?

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like I was wrong on the amount of backpacks. Seems like if I build the heavy flamer sister from the Battle Sisters kit, I will end up with one(!) extra normal backpack. Yay!

Oct 26, 2017
Looking great as ever Staffy.

I made the decision to batch paint almost all of my unpainted Ork walkers. All 17 of them. On the plus side I got this guy finished:

050b24d0-5548-4148-806j40.jpeg

Quad skorcha Deff dread. I'm going to cal him Pilot, as in pilot light. Also...

eaf19d76-bebe-41e4-b01jnu.jpeg

Da Gunslinga.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Your Ork conversions are some of the best and easily the most creative out there Reyn. Always impressed with whatever you come up with. 🙂

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks guys, glad you like 'em, even if it's only ground beneath the feet of your war machines lol. Trying to make some removable flames for each of Solaire's skorchas just for display.

Oh, and I've started early stages of painting up my titan, which is goddamned terrifying.

Oct 26, 2017
With those dreads and kans done I'm back to my main project now. Have been trying out a technique to make metal look ancient/stressed/worn and 'bruised' for my Warbringer's body, really happy with the results. There's a few spots which need a top up or which I missed but they're going to have to wait for a paint run.

aa1c6634-c3a0-436a-anbk39.jpeg

71357170-5e32-4e43-aq3kbe.jpeg

beac69bd-2b8a-4c9f-8ccjgz.jpeg

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
That looks great!

One suggestion though, and this is something I see overlooked quite often. The pistons the machine uses for moving around should be quite shiny and greasy while everything else should be worn and dusty. Othervise it looks like the machine has not moved for ages.

Oct 26, 2017
That looks great!

One suggestion though, and this is something I see overlooked quite often. The pistons the machine uses for moving around should be quite shiny and greasy while everything else should be worn and dusty. Othervise it looks like the machine has not moved for ages.

Oh god yeah, this is just the base layer for the frame, if it was a knight or dreadnought this stage would be the equivalent of leadbelcher - nuln oil. All the pistons will be nice and shiny silver, I'll be picking out pipes and cabling, brass for certain pieces etc.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god yeah, this is just the base layer for the frame, if it was a knight or dreadnought this stage would be the equivalent of leadbelcher - nuln oil. All the pistons will be nice and shiny silver, I'll be picking out pipes and cabling, brass for certain pieces etc.

It's going to look amazing, I'm sure! Really dig the "dusty" (can't think of a better word) look it has already.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
With those dreads and kans done I'm back to my main project now. Have been trying out a technique to make metal look ancient/stressed/worn and 'bruised' for my Warbringer's body, really happy with the results. There's a few spots which need a top up or which I missed but they're going to have to wait for a paint run.

aa1c6634-c3a0-436a-anbk39.jpeg

71357170-5e32-4e43-aq3kbe.jpeg

beac69bd-2b8a-4c9f-8ccjgz.jpeg
This looks like such a good basis for the project! How have you achieved that effect so far?

Oct 26, 2017
So far it's 100% airbrush. I primed in leadbelcher, then large random patches of a cold purple and large, occasionally overlapping patches of a kind of fleshy/ochre colour. Then overlapping/focused patches of red, blue and purple washes. Washes behave completely differently through an airbrush, more like a filter than a wash and it won't settle into recesses etc.

Finally a generous layer of Seraphim Sepia (literally an entire pot) airbrushed over the whole thing to give it that brassy look. The guy whose technique this is described it as the metal being 'bruised' which I think is a perfect description - this thing is meant to be thousands of years old - some areas are exposed to more pressure than others, some areas twist or are heated or take more strain than others, those underlying blues and purples etc. really convey that.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So far it's 100% airbrush. I primed in leadbelcher, then large random patches of a cold purple and large, occasionally overlapping patches of a kind of fleshy/ochre colour. Then overlapping/focused patches of red, blue and purple washes. Washes behave completely differently through an airbrush, more like a filter than a wash and it won't settle into recesses etc.

Finally a generous layer of Seraphim Sepia (literally an entire pot) airbrushed over the whole thing to give it that brassy look. The guy whose technique this is described it as the metal being 'bruised' which I think is a perfect description - this thing is meant to be thousands of years old - some areas are exposed to more pressure than others, some areas twist or are heated or take more strain than others, those underlying blues and purples etc. really convey that.
That's really interesting, thanks for that!

I've never used an airbrush- for some reason they always seem more popular in some circles than others, but when I was really into painting tanks for an Imperial Guard army 20 years ago nobody seemed to use them here. Now they seem far more popular, I wonder if it's the rise of easy access to video tutorials and the thing.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Are Codexs worth buying if you don't actually play, just for the lore and images?
Yes, as they generally contain the most 'current' lore for that faction, laid out well in terms of typography as well as often hints for the future, the most recent art and of course the pics of the model range. They are expensive, but I've just picked up the Adepta Sorioritas one when I've got no intention of playing 40k any time soon, as the guide to how the faction is organised and the recap of the lore is useful even as someone more interested in the lore and painting the minis. I wanted to know how an Order Minoris works and see some alternate paint schemes that aren't the main scheme they use, and the book has that. Inevitably it's pretty much all online if you want to search through the various forums, but considering the book is less than the price of a squad, I'd always recommend picking up the ones for the factions you like even if you only like to read the stories and look at the minis and art.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Are Codexs worth buying if you don't actually play, just for the lore and images?

If you don't find the very latest lore developments and pictures of the latest miniatures of high value and rather enjoy the general setting of 40k, I suggest getting some older edition books as they can be found for cheap. The current edition is 8th, so older than that. I'd say from 3rd to 7th Codexii and rulebooks.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Cool thanks. I'm building Death Guard and AoS Nurgle armies and thought it would help me with colour schemes, knowing which models I can mix into the armies etc. Plus I love artwork and seeing well painted minis and have an interest in the lore.
But yeah they're expensive so maybe older versions are the way to go.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you don't find the very latest lore developments and pictures of the latest miniatures of high value and rather enjoy the general setting of 40k, I suggest getting some older edition books as they can be found for cheap. The current edition is 8th, so older than that. I'd say from 3rd to 7th Codexii and rulebooks.
This is a really good point, as often codexes rehash, for example, the timeline detailing the history of a faction, key events etc. They might rewrite them, or make past 'current' events more concise to focus on 'new' major flashpoints instead, but the history still comprises a large chunk of the lore after 30+ years.

For example, when I picked up the first Ultramarines codex in ~1993 it was far more focused on the recent release of the Tyranids, and the fallout from the worldwide tabletop campaign of Ichaar V (?). While later books have expanded on that with the invasion of Macragge, Tyrannic War veterans etc, in 8th edition Guiliman's return is (obviously) a bigger deal, although both still also detail the history of why the Ultramarines are the gene-fathers of half the chapters.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've been playing around with the Sororitas infantry and Retributor kits, and while it's true they have to be assembled in certain ways, I managed to start getting models I was happy with after a bit of trimming and mixing kits- the book on the model on the right is from the Retributor Superior, added to the infantry standard bearer so she looks like a line trooper that has slung her bolter and taken her helmet off for a quick read mid-battle. The kits are full of fine detail but there's some unfortunate mould lines down the middle of some heads and icons. Easily fixable though, a minor gripe really. Impressed with the variety of stuff on the sprues to cover all wargear options, but it seems a bit odd that there's a lack of an inferno pistol but a plasma pistol is included, given both are options for squad leaders but the former is part of the 'holy trinity' of bolter, melta, flamer!

These two took me 90 minutes to assemble, the small size of the joins and large number of pieces makes them a little fiddly in places, but I suppose it was necessary to maintain the flowing robes effect.

HVMqm8.jpeg

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How is this bundle for an intro to the series??
Excellent.

Dark Imperium is the book to read as an intro to the current setting- as Guilliman is new to it too, he makes a good companion to explore it with, with commentary on imperial faith vs his sense of reason and everything that has been lost.

The Carrion Throne is an introduction to Terra and a great Inquisition investigation in it's own right.

Horus Rising is the opening to the Heresy (30k).

Know No Fear is my favourite book in the Heresy series, and would provide a great contrast with Guilliman as he was then, lord of an empire in the final hours of it's golden age, before everything went to shit.

All in all there's a lot of great stuff there that would underpin an understanding of the setting(s).

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

Hurray for new episode of my favorite WH40k related thing (next to Astartes)!

Edit: Okay that was pretty fuckin' awesome.

Last edited:

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the Black Library for you guys : how do their releases work? I'm interested in the Farsight books but I see Empire of Lies is available in paperback and the new Crisis of Faith is hardback.
Are they going to print Crisis in paperback too? I don't really want to mix the book types and I don't really like e-books.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Question about the Black Library for you guys : how do their releases work? I'm interested in the Farsight books but I see Empire of Lies is available in paperback and the new Crisis of Faith is hardback.
Are they going to print Crisis in paperback too? I don't really want to mix the book types and I don't really like e-books.
Usually the paperbacks follow and are 6-12 months behind.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Also decided against getting the Greater Good collector's edition. It's way too expensive (more than twice the price of regular hardcover!) just for 16 pages of short stories and some extra art. I'll just grab the regular hardcover one.