• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finished the prototype for my Sororitas minis. Went for a red and white quartered surcoat in the end, as I think that'll let me do some striking stuff with the vehicles
e3wGR2.jpeg

tjWuke.jpeg

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
That's a cool scheme!

I haven't yet started the painting and I'm feeling pressure to get it right. I'm probably going to paint some practice minis to find a good prochedure. A full army of mainly white is scary. :)

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently working on my Kor'sarro, forcing myself to do something on it each night. Still tons and tons of work to do, especially as I'm trying to give my best here and there's ton of fuck ups to fix, but it's advancing slowly and steady. This week I've done the face, sword and gun holster, i.e.

v2lG2r2.jpg
lFj9ifU.jpg

I'm currently working on my Kor'sarro, forcing myself to do something on it each night. Still tons and tons of work to do, especially as I'm trying to give my best here and there's ton of fuck ups to fix, but it's advancing slowly and steady. This week I've done the face, sword and gun holster, i.e.

v2lG2r2.jpg
lFj9ifU.jpg
That blade is perfection.

I would like to hear everything about it if you would care.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
That blade is perfection.

I would like to hear everything about it if you would care.

That blade is as it is thanks to the Emperor's gift: the airbrush. Vallejo's Medium Green as base colour, airbrushed Sun Yellow with a bit of White, and then White with a bit of the same Yellow closer to the hilt. The edges were done with that last mix, taken directly from the airbrush cup.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

v2lG2r2.jpg
lFj9ifU.jpg

Excellent work on the face there.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

v2lG2r2.jpg
lFj9ifU.jpg
That's some beautiful stuff, keep going! Love the sword

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Spotted on Forge World's New Zealand website, a Goliath Zerker:
Necromunda-Goliath-Zerker-2020-02-15-Portal-All-bm.jpg

Shaping up to be a fantastic year for Necromunda!

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think Necromunda might be my favourite games workshop game. Fantastic range of models
I remember the original metal ones mainly for having cool heavy weapon models back when space marines in 40k were still carrying chunky weapons on one shoulder :D

I ended playing as Escher in the first Necromunda campaign just because the heavy stubber mini was so cool back then

This one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-...tubber-Metal-Jes-Goodwin-1997-S-/233374897760

Jes Goodwin was miles ahead of so many of their other designers back then

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
I remember the original metal ones mainly for having cool heavy weapon models back when space marines in 40k were still carrying chunky weapons on one shoulder :D

I ended playing as Escher in the first Necromunda campaign just because the heavy stubber mini was so cool back then

This one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-...tubber-Metal-Jes-Goodwin-1997-S-/233374897760

Jes Goodwin was miles ahead of so many of their other designers back then
Thats the heavy i found in my old necromunda box. I have the about 4 of the gangers from that set, the old leader and the 2 juves too. Combined with the new eshers and i have a great gang.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I know a bunch of you here are Tau players, so um... Any of you willing to physically tear out the Astra Militarum pages of the new Pshycic Awakening release and sell them?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, if Space Marines can turn traitor to Chaos, not sure why there shouldn't be a handful who went Gue'vesa.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
"Inquisition line 2, how may we purge you?"
"Ah, yes, is that the Ordo Xenos? This post.This post right here."
"Please stay on the line, 'help' is inbound"
/distant sounds of large objects descending through the atmosphere

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Those designs kick ass. I could totally see one of the many renegade chapters that the imperium has fucked over just saying fuck it and joining the T'au. Especially the Farsight Enclaves.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
They have dropped a huge nerf to Space Marines doctrines. Turn 1 Devastators, Turn 2 Tactical, Turn 3 Tactical or Assault, Turn 4 Assault. And the "go back one doctrine" strat is gone.

-Space marines update Feb 2020 https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/5e1be5c1.pdf
-Codex: Space Marines https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/246fca2d.pdf
-Raven Guard https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/480c3779.pdf
-Iron Hands https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/22137816.pdf
-Blood of Baal https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/17e6ccc6.pdf
-Ritual of the Damned https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/0852a374.pdf

As a White Scar player, this makes me stupidly happy. This is how the doctrines should have work from day zero. There's also a "FU" to the Leviathan dread combo nerfing the reducing incoming damage stratagem that hurts my regular armored zombie guys, but I guess that was inevitable :(

Oct 26, 2017
At least you have updates to be nerfed. Wolves still sitting over here kicking rocks. Since we got our outdated codex. That had it's first patch a few months ago, that did nothing to address our issues.

And now I'm worried that they are going to force doctrines on wolves. The biggest non compliant chapter. :(

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Big F, I started reading his first novel and it's damn good. I'm not sure if I will be able to resist getting the 2nd book before it comes out in paperback.

Also The Greater Good is pretty cool though the lore section is very barebones. Still, I'm super happy to have a great representation of The Eight. They're definitely going on my potential future projects list.

Ps : rip Spehs Mahreens who just for FAQed.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
lol. I would if I could find an easy way to get them out without damaging the rest, because I'll never use them. Have you gotten the book by now or no?

I have managed to acquire copies of the pages through less than reputable means. The Tank stuff and strategems are great. The new regiments have questionable trade-offs but seem like they'll go a good way to making them more survivable.

Main thing is though it's starting to get a bit overloading just gathering the rules of my army.

To remain semi-competive you need the codex, a copy of the FAQ, the Vigilus book, the Psychic Awakening book and also battlescribe.

And now there's no universal special rules you basically have next to 0 idea what other player is gonna be bringing or how powerful they are if you haven't got access to those books yourself. And vise versa. Guard have like 50 Stratagems now.

For example, in previous editions you could look at sentinels and say "well, I know that model has these stats so it can do this." Whereas now it could a unit of 3 all re-rolling 1's with a re-roll of TYPE dice and using a stratagem to hit on a 2+ with boosted weaponry. None of which you would know if you didn't have access to the book this stuff is in.

Oct 26, 2017
I have managed to acquire copies of the pages through less than reputable means. The Tank stuff and strategems are great. The new regiments have questionable trade-offs but seem like they'll go a good way to making them more survivable.

Main thing is though it's starting to get a bit overloading just gathering the rules of my army.

To remain semi-competive you need the codex, a copy of the FAQ, the Vigilus book, the Psychic Awakening book and also battlescribe.

And now there's no universal special rules you basically have next to 0 idea what other player is gonna be bringing or how powerful they are if you haven't got access to those books yourself. And vise versa. Guard have like 50 Stratagems now.

For example, in previous editions you could look at sentinels and say "well, I know that model has these stats so it can do this." Whereas now it could a unit of 3 all re-rolling 1's with a re-roll of TYPE dice and using a stratagem to hit on a 2+ with boosted weaponry. None of which you would know if you didn't have access to the book this stuff is in.
I pray we eventually get a 9th Edition that simply merges this stuff together, because yeah...it is bananas. I have a tournament on the 14th, and I feel like I'm bringing a library with me.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I pray we eventually get a 9th Edition that simply merges this stuff together, because yeah...it is bananas. I have a tournament on the 14th, and I feel like I'm bringing a library with me.

Oh and I also forgot to mention the chapter approved books as well. Though they at least update battlescribe with CA points changes.

Personally I'd happily pay a subscription service that updates regularly and keeps all the rules in one place. They expect you to buy whole new books every year anyway.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Started listening to thr first Nigh Lord audiobook.

Fantastic book so far. Would love a game where you play as a trator legion that has next to no resources, and is just trying to survive.

Oct 26, 2017
This is frustrating wanting MV71 sniper drones, and I can't buy by themselves. I already own Firesight Marskmen that they come with and don't need more....blah.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Read the first Phil Kelly Farsight book and I'm about three quarters of the way through the second. When they're goo, they're very good, but Kelly has some real shortcomings as a writer, I feel.

Also not sure I love the way the Tau lore has been changing. The Ethereals are pushing into mustache twirling bad guys in parts, and the Water Caste are pretty much all douchebags.

Oct 26, 2017
Read the first Phil Kelly Farsight book and I'm about three quarters of the way through the second. When they're goo, they're very good, but Kelly has some real shortcomings as a writer, I feel.

Also not sure I love the way the Tau lore has been changing. The Ethereals are pushing into mustache twirling bad guys in parts, and the Water Caste are pretty much all douchebags.
I agree with this so much. And when we get these mustache twirlers and douchebags, they always come across as a copy/paste template from other Warhammer books. Like...we've seen this all before. Different name, same personalities.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I agree with this so much. And when we get these mustache twirlers and douchebags, they always come across as a copy/paste template from other Warhammer books. Like...we've seen this all before. Different name, same personalities.
I feel like it's kind of a trope bled over from other 40k tales, which take it from military fiction/military sci-fi in general. Basically 'any kind of non-combat administrator, authority figure, diplomat or politician is a baddie unless they are also good at the more 'honest' work of butchering people'. Like Guilliman :D It's to show how heroic those risking their life are, rather than 'cowards' flying a desk, while providing characters able to frustrate the lead from a distance and without needing to end in a fight. It's just really tired.

For a nice example of the opposite, I really liked Rites of Passage, which has a navigator house leader whose skills are non-combat-based facing off against a lethal opponent.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's kind of a trope bled over from other 40k tales, which take it from military fiction/military sci-fi in general. Basically 'any kind of non-combat administrator, authority figure, diplomat or politician is a baddie unless they are also good at the more 'honest' work of butchering people'. Like Guilliman :D It's to show how heroic those risking their life are, rather than 'cowards' flying a desk, while providing characters able to frustrate the lead from a distance and without needing to end in a fight. It's just really tired.

For a nice example of the opposite, I really liked Rites of Passage, which has a navigator house leader whose skills are non-combat-based facing off against a lethal opponent.
Definitely agree on the Water Caste. It's straight out of the mil Sci fi playbook, the diplomats are always smug jerkwads. Other highlights include the pilots all being cocky flyboys and the scientists all being nerdy weirdos but maybe in a nice way, sometimes.

The Ethereals thing is kind of unique, though. They've been moving more in this direction more and more and I'm not really fond of it. If the Tau end up at "the Imperium but blue" I'm not sure what the point of the faction is. Hell, the 4th sphere is xenophobic as hell too.

I liked Farsight's characterization, and there's some cool moments and characters, but Kelly's just... Not a great writer. Lots of ideas and concepts picked up and then dropped when it gets inconvenient. Lots of kinda dull exposition. Peppering language with the occasional bit of alien-ness in weird and inconsistent ways. Like, there's a bit about "the parable of the tortoise and the dunerunner." They've got tortoises but not hares?

You can tell when he's getting really into it. There's some great scenes in Crisis of Faith with space marines that sort of evoke the old parody take on them. The stuff with chaos is consistently good. But a lot of it just feels like it's there to fill space.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Definitely agree on the Water Caste. It's straight out of the mil Sci fi playbook, the diplomats are always smug jerkwads. Other highlights include the pilots all being cocky flyboys and the scientists all being nerdy weirdos but maybe in a nice way, sometimes.

The Ethereals thing is kind of unique, though. They've been moving more in this direction more and more and I'm not really fond of it. If the Tau end up at "the Imperium but blue" I'm not sure what the point of the faction is. Hell, the 4th sphere is xenophobic as hell too.

I liked Farsight's characterization, and there's some cool moments and characters, but Kelly's just... Not a great writer. Lots of ideas and concepts picked up and then dropped when it gets inconvenient. Lots of kinda dull exposition. Peppering language with the occasional bit of alien-ness in weird and inconsistent ways. Like, there's a bit about "the parable of the tortoise and the dunerunner." They've got tortoises but not hares?

You can tell when he's getting really into it. There's some great scenes in Crisis of Faith with space marines that sort of evoke the old parody take on them. The stuff with chaos is consistently good. But a lot of it just feels like it's there to fill space.
I find that's often the case with writers that were games developers writing background for rulebooks first, that then expand into writing novels. Like Kelly, Gav Thorpe. When writing background stuff they are constantly dropping in a new idea to play with in each short anecdote, the rulebooks exist to constantly spark new, odd 'what if's and 'new take on this concept' to encourage people to start armies, but novels kinda need more consistency. I suspect the Black Library editors are better at spotting inconsistencies with the Imperium stuff than the Tau (which is a bit odd considering the huge pile of lore for the former!), but also perhaps didn't want to overrule a senior games background writer on his novels.

This weeks voxcast (interview with Darius Hinks, author of the Mephiston books) was interesting for stuff around writing for an IP in a constantly expanding universe with both the games dev team and the BL editors and authors (and those like Phil Kelly that do both).

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Not finished but kinda proud of this. My new Hellhound driver has found a questionable method of dealing with pre-combat nerves.

IMG-20200301-010601.jpg

This is frustrating wanting MV71 sniper drones, and I can't buy by themselves. I already own Firesight Marskmen that they come with and don't need more....blah.

Best bet is to convert the marksman to something else. You could have him standing on the shoulder of a riptide or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Guard has to be happening this year. The entire faction has had no proper plastic troop kits since 2003 with the Cadians?

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd love to see a complete revamp of Guard with a plastic kit that somehow has more options than building Cadians - be nice to see some other Guard factions represented in the mainstream