• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Orks can kind of get around it in that a natural 6+ always hits and also generates another attack. Considering they're usually only hitting on 5+, being reduced to 6+ with negative modifiers isn't all that much of a big deal, and most of their weapons are tuned towards sheer number of shots getting the hits you need anyway.
I main Tau, and am at a fun Doubles. First army flying -2 all over, with their strat to male -3. So I am sitting here 2 hours mostly doing nothing. Even with velocity tracker on, just....frustrating. And I have yet to go to a tourney without this crap.

So, I have been trying to decide on my 2nd army for last few weeks. This neg stuff just....is just gross. If I lose, I don't mind if I at least get to play. This feels like me sitting here.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

So a friend of mine is starting to get into Warhammer 40k. He got himself some minatures and had a ton of fun putting them together, and honestly, that does sound fun! He's got a squad of five guys that came in a pack, so I'm thinking of doing the same and then we can like battle or whatever. I honestly don't know the rules or anything.

The problem is, the Warhammer site that sells this stuff is awful, and I'm having a bitch of a time searching for grouped figures in a specific price range (under $50 would be nice). I don't even know what I want exactly, since I"m just going with "rule of cool." Never painted anything like this before, but I got a neighbor who has, so I can get advice from him. Probably borrow some of his better brushes too.

Guys got any recommendations? The rats are kind of neat. Typically looking more for horror-style stuff, or just really strange shit. Otherwise, if there are better sites to shop/buy/search, I'd just take those too. I skimmed the OP but man, that's a lot of info there :P
Honestly? Start with Kill Team. Kill Team is usually only a few models (5-20) and you can basically just buy a squad and start playing. It also helps you start building up and army and you can "graduate" into full 40k later on.

Oct 26, 2017
I main Tau, and am at a fun Doubles. First army flying -2 all over, with their strat to male -3. So I am sitting here 2 hours mostly doing nothing. Even with velocity tracker on, just....frustrating. And I have yet to go to a tourney without this crap.

So, I have been trying to decide on my 2nd army for last few weeks. This neg stuff just....is just gross. If I lose, I don't mind if I at least get to play. This feels like me sitting here.

Yeah for shooty armies that stuff is just poison, there really shouldn't be anything like that in this edition after the nightmare that was invisibility in 7th edition.

Orks are not for everyone but they are a decent counter to the crap you're describing - between Dakka Dakka Dakka and the start to stretch it to 5+, Orks having a boatload of melee options and Traktor Kannons (think auto hitting krak missiles which, if they take the last wound off a flyer, always cause it to explode) they're certainly worth considering.

Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo...

da837b71-862a-45ec-bj1ky8.jpeg

Absolute unit confirmed, if this is true. Can't lose more than four wounds per phase, meaning shooty armies without some serious melee punch or psykers purely dedicated to taking him out are going to have to worry about him until at least turn 3, assuming he doesn't get healed at all. Flat four damage on a klaw with no minus to hit, hitting on 2s and rerolling 1s, varying between strength 10 and 14 and his number of attacks actually goes UP the more damage he takes. Terrifying.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo...

da837b71-862a-45ec-bj1ky8.jpeg

Absolute unit confirmed, if this is true. Can't lose more than four wounds per phase, meaning shooty armies without some serious melee punch or psykers purely dedicated to taking him out are going to have to worry about him until at least turn 3, assuming he doesn't get healed at all. Flat four damage on a klaw with no minus to hit, hitting on 2s and rerolling 1s, varying between strength 10 and 14 and his number of attacks actually goes UP the more damage he takes. Terrifying.
I love all of this, especially the 4 wounds a phase. I'm kind of tired of armies and units having so much of the same abilities/auras/etc. between them, maybe with just different names. I'm really happy to see something truly new.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's what you get in that box.
f6cd29e9.jpg

Kinda weak but I guess this should drive the price down compared to Blood of the Phoenix? Or GW will price it the same because they just know people will want these two models BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not sure the accessory sprue would go down great given half of it is shoulder pads that don't fit that armour configuration.

Oct 26, 2017
I am really nervous with how many various podcasts and youtube channels have suggested that they want the "can't lose more than X amount of wounds a phase" rule on Demon Princes. I hate when GW comes up with a cool rule then copy/pastes it to a billion different units and armies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I am really nervous with how many various podcasts and youtube channels have suggested that they want the "can't lose more than X amount of wounds a phase" rule on Demon Princes. I hate when GW comes up with a cool rule then copy/pastes it to a billion different units and armies.
I get that, but it really does feel like an effective way of giving a unit that "unstoppable object" feeling.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Games Workshop emailed to say they're shutting everything down for a while - stores, factory and distribution:
The safety and wellbeing of all our customers and staff are paramount to everyone here at Games Workshop. In response to the developing global situation surrounding the spread of COVID-19, and following the advice and instruction from both the government here in the UK and throughout the world – we are closing Games Workshop sites around the globe.

This means that all our Warhammer and Games Workshop stores will be shut from the 24th March until an initial date of the 14th April. We'll also be closing our factory and distribution centres – so our online stores (Games Workshop, Forge World and Black Library) won't be selling or shipping any physical products during this period either. If you've recently placed an order and are waiting for it to arrive, please give us 48 hours to contact you. If you've still got questions after that, then please drop our Customer Service team a line via email, they'll be valiantly working from home to ensure you're supported over this period.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well I won't be painting my Valhallans this lock down.
I popped into a Warhammer store last week, I was the only one in there, the guy said he had been selling insane amounts of stuff. People just stocking up for the lock down. So I picked up some paint, now to clear my backlog!
Minimum is to finish off Blackstone Fortress

Oct 26, 2017
its a ton of parts, the paint time was fast. everything was a layered light drybrush.

parts include: armiger, landraider, riptide, kastelan, crisissuits, vansaar ( pilot), onager dune crawler, vehicle upgrade sprue, pathfider drone, dreadknight, ghostkeel.

Lots of pinning, lots of cutting and green stuff equivalent.

if you are curious as to any specific components, like how are the arms made, I'll be more detailed.

No it wasnt a 1000$ build. only slightly more than a standard riptide, ( BUY BITS, NOT KITS! )

i will plan out my conversions and make "part carts" on ebay and just kinda sit on the carts and wait for deals to pop up.

odds are within 3~ weeks a seller will run a 15% off if you buy 10+ and at the same time discount some parts you've been waiting to buy.

(I picked up like3 devilfish hulls for like 1.24$ each)

thanks!
Im trying to get faster at painting this year, and I think the total time painting this guy was like 7-9 hours? ( only counting painting time)

I have a rather large backlog of stuff I want to paint

Oct 26, 2017
its a ton of parts, the paint time was fast. everything was a layered light drybrush.

parts include: armiger, landraider, riptide, kastelan, crisissuits, vansaar ( pilot), onager dune crawler, vehicle upgrade sprue, pathfider drone, dreadknight, ghostkeel.

Lots of pinning, lots of cutting and green stuff equivalent.

if you are curious as to any specific components, like how are the arms made, I'll be more detailed.

No it wasnt a 1000$ build. only slightly more than a standard riptide, ( BUY BITS, NOT KITS! )

i will plan out my conversions and make "part carts" on ebay and just kinda sit on the carts and wait for deals to pop up.

odds are within 3~ weeks a seller will run a 15% off if you buy 10+ and at the same time discount some parts you've been waiting to buy.

(I picked up like3 devilfish hulls for like 1.24$ each)

thanks!
Im trying to get faster at painting this year, and I think the total time painting this guy was like 7-9 hours? ( only counting painting time)

I have a rather large backlog of stuff I want to paint
Wow. That is damn quick. And yes---I would love to hear about the arms as I might try a Titanfall-themed version of a Stormsurge. And curious what made the front piece that opens up where the pilot sits.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. That is damn quick. And yes---I would love to hear about the arms as I might try a Titanfall-themed version of a Stormsurge. And curious what made the front piece that opens up where the pilot sits.
Arms:
Shoulder plate: ( Ghostkeel shoulder plate )
Bicep: ( Armiger leg thigh)
Forearm: ( Riptide arm )
Wrist: ( Dreadknight wrist plate )
Hand: ( Kastelan hand )

This is all cut and pinned together, pins are reinforced by kneadite, gaps filled, bridged (messily) , shaving here and there to make the bits fit/work together.
shoulder (armiger thigh is pinned to the torso, with the armiger arm attachment between the upper arm and torso, ( where it would normaly go if you were to build a armiger)

Hatch:
its a armiger kit* the front plate it cut and angled differently then the plate is bridged with kneadite ( green stuff, but in my case, brown stuff), and the vehicle upgrade sprue devil fish bit ( thats also been cut)

The hatch is literally. cut the hatch out of the armiger kit. Then I made a simple pin hinge. which was an absolute pain to get right. ( still not happy witht he result)

interior cock pit is like random bits with control do dads on em and like 80% kneadite ( green stuff, but in my case, brown stuff)

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Instead of following any advice I went and got a pack of five chaos space marines. Raptor set. They look pretty cool. Excited to build them this weekend (should be here tomorrow or Saturday). Got some paints too. Never painted anything like this before, but I've watched some tutorials and the worst I can do is just make them look like shit :V

I look forward to naming them edgy names like GORE and CHILLYBEAN

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of following any advice I went and got a pack of five chaos space marines. Raptor set. They look pretty cool. Excited to build them this weekend (should be here tomorrow or Saturday). Got some paints too. Never painted anything like this before, but I've watched some tutorials and the worst I can do is just make them look like shit :V

I look forward to naming them edgy names like GORE and CHILLYBEAN
Thin them paints. Then thin them more. Then, just to be sure, thin them juuust a bit more. Then you can paint.

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, at a time when I should be saving money due to this pandemic, I made some trades on Miniswap, coughed up some dough, and now have some new models:

3 Tau Commanders
1 Ghostkeel
1 Broadside Battlesuit
6 Stealth Suits
6 Crisis Suits
50 Firewarriors (I already own about 60...why, god, why...)
20 Tactical Drones
1 Broodlord
And a billion Termagants, Hormagaunts, and Genestealers

Guess I won't be bored these new few weeks.

Arms:
Shoulder plate: ( Ghostkeel shoulder plate )
Bicep: ( Armiger leg thigh)
Forearm: ( Riptide arm )
Wrist: ( Dreadknight wrist plate )
Hand: ( Kastelan hand )

This is all cut and pinned together, pins are reinforced by kneadite, gaps filled, bridged (messily) , shaving here and there to make the bits fit/work together.
shoulder (armiger thigh is pinned to the torso, with the armiger arm attachment between the upper arm and torso, ( where it would normaly go if you were to build a armiger)

Hatch:
its a armiger kit* the front plate it cut and angled differently then the plate is bridged with kneadite ( green stuff, but in my case, brown stuff), and the vehicle upgrade sprue devil fish bit ( thats also been cut)

The hatch is literally. cut the hatch out of the armiger kit. Then I made a simple pin hinge. which was an absolute pain to get right. ( still not happy witht he result)

interior cock pit is like random bits with control do dads on em and like 80% kneadite ( green stuff, but in my case, brown stuff)
Thank you. I really appreciate this. I've made a note and saved it to my desktop.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
They've been hyping this big time, I hope it's worth the wait. I'll be there tho (not that I can be elsewhere anyway, lol)

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Give me my Primaris bikes. And a Tanith plastic range.

Although a new edition has been hinted to me by certain friend for a while. No idea how close it is, he never wants to get on details.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
From a business perspective announcing a new edition while the psychic awakening is going on would be crazy. They have another few books to go. So nothing like that.

I think we will get the primaris bikes and speeders. Probably a new Knight. A full reveal of Fabius bile, would be cool if that came along with Fulgrim and some noise marines.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah I think Primaris bikes and Fabius Bile is a good bet, plus whatever new mini is being released for Engine War, so some sort of Knight variant.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Stream's up.

It will be "a new thing each 15 minutes, then we'll bring someone to talk and so you can ask him questions about it".

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

As somebody who plays an Elf in a Warhammer Fantasy DnD campaign feeling kinda called out rn

(It's not wrong tho)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm really surprised that they are still releasing minis for the Lord of the Ring game after 20 years.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting a remake of the Fellowship box. The various old versions have some nice figures, but also some really, really ugly ones. That Eomer is stupidly good (even if it doesn't look as Urban at all :P), I don't discard buying it in the future and I don't play the game (for now, at least XD).

And I didn't expect Fabius to look so close to the classic model.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I loved the reveal in the style of an M&S ad.
'this is not just any Primarch...'

There's another preview next Saturday.

Last edited: