• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RennerSage

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
overall in your opinion
primarch-cartoon.jpg

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Vulkan.

How is this even a question? Built dope shit, Eternal, encouraged his guys to live with the people, all around great guy.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Vulkan is a great choice

However Horus, Sanguinius and Roboute are all up there as well

Curze was the worst

Horus was a fuckboi who went nuts 'cause he thought Daddy didn't appreciate him enough, Roboute was a stiff-necked dick who proooobably pushed Alpharius & Omegon over the edge. Sanguinius was a bro, I'll give you that.

And yeah Curze was an ass.

Mortarion on the streets, Dorn in the sheets.

Constantly coughing and vomiting all over everybody outside and building pillow forts inside... aight.

OP
OP

RennerSage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horus was a fuckboi who went nuts 'cause he thought Daddy didn't appreciate him enough, Roboute was a stiff-necked dick who proooobably pushed Alpharius & Omegon over the edge. Sanguinius was a bro, I'll give you that.

And yeah Curze was an ass.

Constantly coughing and vomiting all over everybody outside and building pillow forts inside... aight.
to be fair, Roboute is the only primarch that i feel like has the ability to actually try and save the imperium because of his strategic mind, the others coming back wouldn't of had a similar effect

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a big fan of Mortarion, Dorn, Khan, and Angron. Though if I had to choose probably Mortarion

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Khan!
4V0Q424.jpg

'You do not know what the warp is. None of you do. The Emperor kept those truths hidden, and for all we know he has tried to stamp out those who still understand them. The Khan never agreed with this. The two of them argued. This is the great question, szu, the one they fell out over – can you rest an empire on a lie?'

Also a master of burns

"I heard from a contact on Mars, Jaghatai, that you do strange things to your ships."
The Khan shot him a heavy-lidded stare. "I heard from a contact that you do strange things to your warriors.
"

OP
OP

RennerSage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Khan!
4V0Q424.jpg

'You do not know what the warp is. None of you do. The Emperor kept those truths hidden, and for all we know he has tried to stamp out those who still understand them. The Khan never agreed with this. The two of them argued. This is the great question, szu, the one they fell out over – can you rest an empire on a lie?'

Also a master of burns

"I heard from a contact on Mars, Jaghatai, that you do strange things to your ships."
The Khan shot him a heavy-lidded stare. "I heard from a contact that you do strange things to your warriors.
"

Who is the greater swordsman between Khan, Sanguinius and Fulgrim?

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Gotta vote Vulkan

To be honest, all of the Primarch stories are ridiculous and awesome lol. I've been fortunate and have worked on multiple (good) 40k games; I would often revisit various Primarch stories just to remind myself how insane the universe is. They're tropey nonsense but rad :)

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Who is the greater swordsman between Khan, Sanguinius and Fulgrim?

Khan says he'd slap Fulgrim silly and the Angel is generally agreed to be one of the best duellists, if not the best. So Sanguinius > Khan > Fulgrim.

'You would lose,' said the Khan.
Fulgrim grinned, but there was something fragile in it. 'Oh?'
'You would lose because you would treat it like a game, like you treat everything, and I would not. You would lose because you know nothing of me, and I know everything of you because you shout it from the turrets of your battle cruisers. My prowess remains unknown. You have some reputation as a swordsman, brother, but I make no boast when I tell you I would leave you choking on it.'

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know with the fact that each Primarch is supposed to represent some different aspect of the Emperor of Mankind you'd think at least one of them would have had some common sense alongside being a master tactician or god of the battlefield. Then again most of them being flawed super men is kind of the point.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I forgot Lion El'Jonson haha. Still voting Vulkan but Lionel fights a rival and somehow fucking breaks his planet apart in said fight. Then, his pals are like "Shit, might as well put engines on this and fly it around." Now they live on it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
You know with the fact that each Primarch is supposed to represent some different aspect of the Emperor of Mankind you'd think at least one of them would have had some common sense alongside being a master tactician or god of the battlefield. Then again most of them being flawed super men is kind of the point.
I love the primarchs and the horus heresy books... a lot of great high drama in my opinion. The primarchs themselves are usually very well written, musings about their place and the nature of their father especially.

Oct 26, 2017
Sanguinius or Vulkan for me. Angel boy slew a demon prince in single combat in an aerial duel over a massive clash of traitors and loyalists. He broke the beast's back mid air and tossed him to the traitors below.

Basically saying "Who else wants some?"

Vulkan is just an all around nice guy who loves fire. But his legion actually cares about civilians and their allies, so they are good people.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Leman Russ, he beat The Emperor at a drinking game. Course, he still lost in the end because the Emperor's gotta get his kids back for his galactic domination plan.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leman Russ, he beat The Emperor at a drinking game. Course, he still lost in the end because the Emperor's gotta get his kids back for his galactic domination plan.

You know it would have been kind of interesting if there was a Primarch who wanted no part of leading a legion of super human fanatical killing machines on a galaxywide crusade. I know several didn't want to do it but they all kind of fell into line eventually until it all went to shit with Horus. Guess the Emperor would have probably just killed them instead of letting them fuck off and do as they please.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's all a bunch of tropey nonsense.

But it's the most fun tropey nonsense in fiction, my guilty pleasure.

My vote would go to the Khan, probably. I enjoy the Lion's stories as well.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
You know it would have been kind of interesting if there was a Primarch who wanted no part of leading a legion of super human fanatical killing machines on a galaxywide crusade. I know several didn't want to do it but they all kind of fell into line eventually until it all went to shit with Horus. Guess the Emperor would have probably just killed them instead of letting them fuck off and do as they please.

That's in theory what might have happened to the other two legions. They refused to follow the emperor so the wolves were sent to kill them and put the other primarchs in line.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Dorn is my dude. He was given the most monumental and yet thankless task in the Imperium, to tear down the Emperor's ridiculously vast, grandiose palace and turn it into the sickest fortress ever, and the guy just rolls up his sleeves and gets to work.

Sanguinius and Vulkan are cool cats as well, and I've got a soft spot for Lorgar, he's by far the most interesting of the traitor Primarchs.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017

When the Heresy broke out and Khan found out about it, both sides were trying to get him to join their side and both had good reasons, without context. So Khan goes to find out what exactly happened instead of just doing the first thing he thought of. He comes to the conclusion that the Emperor is a tyrant and Horus has gone insane. Better to fight for the tyrant than the guy on the warp koolaid.
Then there's Guilliman, who isn't half bad on his good days.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's between Horus Lupercal or Sanguinius.
When the Heresy broke out and Khan found out about it, both sides were trying to get him to join their side and both had good reasons, without context. So Khan goes to find out what exactly happened instead of just doing the first thing he thought of. He comes to the conclusion that the Emperor is a tyrant and Horus has gone insane. Better to fight for the tyrant than the guy on the warp koolaid.
Then there's Guilliman, who isn't half bad on his good days.
I like how the Horus Heresy explained what Guilliman was doing after Calth.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Hard to pick a favorite. Everyone one had unique journeys that effected them in so many different ways. I could make an argument for choosing any one of them.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Got a question for Warhammer era:

Anyone read the books and play the video games but not into collecting minis?

The reason I ask is because I have such a huge fascination with the Warhammer 40k / AoS world and lore but really don't want to drop the $ for the tabletop game and miniatures.

Does anyone in the community just read the books and play the video games like me? Am I really missing out on the "complete" experience by not collecting miniatures?

barik

Nov 2, 2017
Have to go with my man Mortarion. Cheesy as fuck but he leads the coolest legion and picked the best god, so that's a win in my book (also I haven't read a lot of HH books, to be fair)

Oct 29, 2017

The reason I ask is because I have such a huge fascination with the Warhammer 40k / AoS world and lore but really don't want to drop the $ for the tabletop game and miniatures.

Does anyone in the community just read the books and play the video games like me? Am I really missing out on the "complete" experience by not collecting miniatures?
I've never played the actual game and have enjoyed the universe immensely. I don't think we are missing out.

Oct 27, 2017
If it's just "best" in the most general sense then it's Horus and Sanguinius

Plenty of people, myself included.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017

Well you would be missing the "complete experience", yeah. But it's not like it's necessary to enjoy the games and the books. The miniatures don't have any characterization on them.

Have to go with my man Mortarion. Cheesy as fuck but he leads the coolest legion and picked the best god, so that's a win in my book (also I haven't read a lot of HH books, to be fair)
Morty didn't pick anything, he got picked. Dude hated the warp.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

That is me.

Oct 26, 2017

I read 5 books then quit. I realized how dumb I was for getting into a series that will never end since they will always need to make money and keep the game going.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017

Lots of people do this. I haven't bought or painted a miniature in about 15 years at this point, but I still enjoy the games and books as the 40k lore is just so rich and endless. You won't miss a damn thing by not collecting miniatures. And your wallet will thank you for it.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Leman Russ, hands down.

I'm pretty much who you describe, only I do own four 40K armies. I came into possession of them from someone in a short amount of time a few years ago, and I was hyped about the game because the lore was so interesting to me, but then I realized I'll never get around to assembling/painting them, so they sit in boxes.

I do read a ton of the Black Library novels though. I've got maybe 70+ novels at this point after a bit more than two years collecting them. I am also interested in the video games, but the last 40K console game was Space Marine, so I've been waiting a while for a new one. I play 'other' tabletop 40K games, like Forbidden Stars or Space Hulk: Death Angel, and plan to buy into the upcoming Black Reach board game that uses the Heroes of Normandie system. Maybe I'll get into the WizKids 40K Dicemasters game too, since there is a Space Wolf ally pack.

I don't feel like I'm missing out by not playing the tabletop game. I do follow what is going on with the tabletop game though, since a lot of the events influence what is happening in the lore.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Alpharius and Omegon. You're all going to love it when Omegon comes back as a Loyalist!

Honorary mention to Magnus. Magnus did nothing wrong.

This was me for years and years until 6 months ago. A few friends and I went in on the miniatures, hard, an am enjoying it a lot, but it's the other way around to what you said.

The lore increases my enjoyment of the miniatures. The miniatures aren't needed.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coming into this thread to say somebody please make a fantasy/Age of Sigmar thread. Thankyouplease.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alpharius and Omegon. You're all going to love it when Omegon comes back as a Loyalist!

Honorary mention to Magnus. Magnus did nothing wrong.

This was me for years and years until 6 months ago. A few friends and I went in on the miniatures, hard, an am enjoying it a lot, but it's the other way around to what you said.

The lore increases my enjoyment of the miniatures. The miniatures aren't needed.
#Magnusdideverythingwrong

Oct 27, 2017
The main horus heresy series is ending.

Obviously they'll probably continue with spinoffs from that era whilst continuing the 40k stuff.

I remember when I first started reading the books (not that I've read a huge amount of them but I do really enjoy the setting) I asked a friend how many books it took for them to reach the fight between Horus and The Emperor. He laughed.

It does seem like things are starting to come to a head though.