• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Characters from Praetorian of Dorn and Solar War. I forgot there names.

Sigismund is bald.
HH-silent-war-horz.jpg
Siggy does have those weird roman julius ceasar leafs stuff like Roboute

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Dorn. He orchestrated the successful defense of Terra during the heresy. Moreover:
I think there's a few lore clashes in that whoever the novels are talking about at the time tends to get 'second only to Horus in their military achievements during the great crusade' appended to them too. It's a popular phrase to signify Horus as first amongst equals, I've definitely seen it written about the Lion too at some point over the years. I imagine it that each chapter's remembrancers claim that honour for their own lost lord! :D

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
But I'm pretty sure it's Horus who's saying that:

The paragraph before the one I posted:
Horus Rising said:
But others, like Guilliman, Khan and Dorn had simply taken it in their stride, accepting the Emperor's decree as the right and obvious choice. Horus had ever been the brightest, the first and the favourite. They did not doubt his fitness for the role, for none of the primarchs had ever matched Horus's achievements, nor the intimacy of his bond with the Emperor. It was to these solid, resolved brothers that Horus turned in particular for counsel. Dorn and Guilliman both embodied the staunchest and most dedicated Imperial qualities, commanding their Legion expeditions with peerless devotion and military genius. Horus desired their approval as a young man might seek the quiescence of older, more accomplished brothers.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
But I'm pretty sure it's Horus who's saying that:

The paragraph before the one I posted:
The books and characters do vary and clash depending on the authors though.

Lion El'Jonson was renowned for a level of strategic brilliance and martial prowess that was rivaled perhaps only by Horus, but was distrusted by his brother Primarchs for his secretive and taciturn nature.[15].
(The source is Unremembered Empire)
https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lion_El'Jonson#fn_15

I'm trying to place exactly where I saw the phrase about Crusade victories assigned to the Lion but can't remember. To be fair, the HH is supposed to be myth-like, there's probably three or four of them that can claim the honour depending on criteria, and it's probably stated depending on who is writing and which characters are in the room at the time! So much of the established lore is patched together from hundred of codices, novels, background books, rulebooks etc over the last 30+ years, often in fragments given here and there by a writer looking to fill a sidebar with some colour text. The Heresy books are working from the GW lore bible of 'who is where, doing what and when' etc, but the vast bulk of them is still the individual writer filling in the details. Where they appear to clash slightly, it kinda adds to the appeal to me, particularly considering that a core tenet of the Heresy, mirrored in Luthor and the the Lion, is who felt slighted over recognition of their deeds and qualities :D

I like Dorn though. Often sidelined as dour and stern, his traits are less immediately evocative but embody 'reliable', no wonder he was chosen to lead the defences.

Last edited: