• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Got a question for Warhammer era:

Anyone read the books and play the video games but not into collecting minis?

The reason I ask is because I have such a huge fascination with the Warhammer 40k / AoS world and lore but really don't want to drop the $ for the tabletop game and miniatures.

Does anyone in the community just read the books and play the video games like me? Am I really missing out on the "complete" experience by not collecting miniatures?
yep. I am a huge fan but don't play the tabletop game at all.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
He's my second choice, for sure. Total bro with Angron and got dealt such a bad hand. At least he was the only one to call Big E on his bullshit.

Same here. I got into the universe via Space Marine (PS3) and I've been consuming the media for the past years nonstop.
I picked up Eisenhorn at Barnes & Noble over a decade ago because the dude on the cover looked badass. Been reading ever since.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Alpharius and Omegon. You're all going to love it when Omegon comes back as a Loyalist!

Honorary mention to Magnus. Magnus did nothing wrong.

This was me for years and years until 6 months ago. A few friends and I went in on the miniatures, hard, an am enjoying it a lot, but it's the other way around to what you said.

The lore increases my enjoyment of the miniatures. The miniatures aren't needed.
Magnus is so damn tragic. A Thousand Sons is a great book, definitely up there for being one of my favourite primarch stories.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
You know with the fact that each Primarch is supposed to represent some different aspect of the Emperor of Mankind you'd think at least one of them would have had some common sense alongside being a master tactician or god of the battlefield. Then again most of them being flawed super men is kind of the point.

That'd be pretty much Roboute nowadays. Going by 1d4chan, anyway. Dude's been doing so much right that even a places that traditionally hates the smurfs has taken a liking to him.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I understood any of this conversation. The Warhammer 40k universe seems like a blast to lose yourself in.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Alpharius and Omegon. You're all going to love it when Omegon comes back as a Loyalist!

Honorary mention to Magnus. Magnus did nothing wrong.

This was me for years and years until 6 months ago. A few friends and I went in on the miniatures, hard, an am enjoying it a lot, but it's the other way around to what you said.

The lore increases my enjoyment of the miniatures. The miniatures aren't needed.

is the theory that the thousand sons were/are actually on the side of good still something?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
is the theory that the thousand sons were/are actually on the side of good still something?
They as a Legionwere for the emperor before and after the betrayal of horus, tried to warn the emperor (which vauses a MASSIVE problem)' Their allegiance only complicates after they were sanctioned by the Space Wolves (which was catastrophic, as Horus changes Russ' orders to instead destory the legion and their homeworld)... Magnus was duped by Horus and Tzeentch. Only then out of nihilism and spite does Magnus' pact with Tzeentch make him traitorous.

Ahriman is hard to say though, I honestly still think he is a loyalist :)

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
There's not really a theory that (at least most of the legion) still are - they've long since been manipulated and warped by chaos since they entered the eye. That they didn't mean to fall to Chaos and were done in by their own over-confidence, the (probably justified) mistrust of the Emperor and the manipulations of Tzeentch isn't in much doubt either.

Oct 26, 2017
in regards to loyal Thousand sons

in 13th wolf, there is a iskaar oman loyal sorceror who tried to negotitate peace but was killed by wolves (during prospero's burning)

in ashes of prospero, with help from rune priest njal, he is resurrected inside the portal systems, he gets some t sons out of the network but they instantly turn to ash. so he statys in the portal system finding other t sons and building a force to go against magnus and magnus's plans for the portal system. (in 40k) now

story looks like it is setting up for a loyal Tsons force to come back in 40k

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
One day I will read 40k books :(

Edit: The Horus Herasy is 46 books what the fuck? :o

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to go with my man Mortarion. Cheesy as fuck but he leads the coolest legion and picked the best god, so that's a win in my book (also I haven't read a lot of HH books, to be fair)
Ever since I read Mortarion's origin story I was glad I picked Nurgle.

I was glad I picked Nurgle anyway, of course. My 1000 point commander retinue of Plague Marine Terminators have never died.

Oct 26, 2017
There's not really a theory that (at least most of the legion) still are - they've long since been manipulated and warped by chaos since they entered the eye. That they didn't mean to fall to Chaos and were done in by their own over-confidence, the (probably justified) mistrust of the Emperor and the manipulations of Tzeentch isn't in much doubt either.

There's also a theory the the Blood Ravens (from the Dawn of War series) - are actually descendants of the loyalist elements of the Thousand Sons. It isn't 100% confirmed though.

To think Magnus could have just sent the emperor an actual messenger...or I dunno, gone himself and avoided the problem is frustrating.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but where do I start with 40k? Hell, where do I start with regular Warhammer? The designs have always interested me and I got Total War Warhammer this week. Wanted to learn more before I play but I have no idea where to start. 40k is arguably more interesting to me but same deal, no idea where to start.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Off topic but where do I start with 40k? Hell, where do I start with regular Warhammer? The designs have always interested me and I got Total War Warhammer this week. Wanted to learn more before I play but I have no idea where to start. 40k is arguably more interesting to me but same deal, no idea where to start.

The Horus Heresy is usually the answer

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017

Start here https://warhammer40000.com/setting/explore-the-factions/

Then start diving into a wiki/reading books about the faction(s) that sounds coolest. Or maybe the one that has badass miniatures. Or maybe the ones that have cool characters.

^You could start with the Heresy, but quality aside, it's like saying you should watch Star Wars in the episode order instead of release order. The setting existed for over a decade before the first HH book released.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alpharius, I mean, how do you even know you killed him??

Though, now that big blue, big yellow, big green and probably big red is back, guess it never mattered.

Robotue is back, Sanguini is all but confirmed, Dorn is next and the Great Salamander has been sighted, and the Khan is getting a new model.

But somehow, the greatest, and killed , is still left out. I still think the primarchs of the unknown legions are going to be written in.

So alongside them, yeah, Horus, can and will come back.

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
They as a Legionwere for the emperor before and after the betrayal of horus, tried to warn the emperor (which vauses a MASSIVE problem)' Their allegiance only complicates after they were sanctioned by the Space Wolves (which was catastrophic, as Horus changes Russ' orders to instead destory the legion and their homeworld)... Magnus was duped by Horus and Tzeentch. Only then out of nihilism and spite does Magnus' pact with Tzeentch make him traitorous.

Ahriman is hard to say though, I honestly still think he is a loyalist :)

thanks - forgot about the split between magnus and ahriman. also is the revival of guilliman new-ish? i don't remember that the last time i checked in on the 40k universe, which was admittedly some years ago

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
One day I will read 40k books :(

Edit: The Horus Herasy is 46 books what the fuck? :o
I suggest skipping some of them. You may be left out of a few running threads but some of the books are badly written, so it's not really worth it. Besides, you can just chalk it up to the universe being so big that it's impossible to know all the characters.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I suggest skipping some of them. You may be left out of a few running threads but some of the books are badly written, so it's not really worth it. Besides, you can just chalk it up to the universe being so big that it's impossible to know all the characters.

Of The Horus Heresy or just 40k in general?

Oct 27, 2017

Though, now that big blue, big yellow, big green and probably big red is back, guess it never mattered.

Robotue is back, Sanguini is all but confirmed, Dorn is next and the Great Salamander has been sighted, and the Khan is getting a new model.

But somehow, the greatest, and killed , is still left out. I still think the primarchs of the unknown legions are going to be written in.

I'd be surprised if the unknown primarchs get brought in. I always thought of them as an example of 40k being a setting first and a story second and that the unknown primarchs are there so people can make up their own. But as things go on maybe GW will be tempted into actually introducing them.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That'd be pretty much Roboute nowadays. Going by 1d4chan, anyway. Dude's been doing so much right that even a places that traditionally hates the smurfs has taken a liking to him.

Since Gullimans return, he's been more tolerant of working with other races, and well, he's had alotta common sense. I'm pretty sure one of the first novels of his reintroduction has him being baffled at how fucking insane everything has gotten.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Khan!
4V0Q424.jpg

'You do not know what the warp is. None of you do. The Emperor kept those truths hidden, and for all we know he has tried to stamp out those who still understand them. The Khan never agreed with this. The two of them argued. This is the great question, szu, the one they fell out over – can you rest an empire on a lie?'

Also a master of burns

"I heard from a contact on Mars, Jaghatai, that you do strange things to your ships."
The Khan shot him a heavy-lidded stare. "I heard from a contact that you do strange things to your warriors.
"

The only correct answer. I can't wait for him to resurface out of the webway and start kicking ass and taking names again.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
If Dorn's new model is mustache less then 8th edition is non canon

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Since Gullimans return, he's been more tolerant of working with other races, and well, he's had alotta common sense. I'm pretty sure one of the first novels of his reintroduction has him being baffled at how fucking insane everything has gotten.
The Gathering Storm: Rise of the Primarch pretty states that he hates what the Imperium has become. In Dark Imperium, Guilliman is trying to fix the Imperium in different ways.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017

Might be spoilers, but .... Alpharius is dead.

Probably. Dorn killed him.

Dorn is mostly dead. The fists have his ... fist, but the rest of him is missing.

Sanguinus is dead. There's no rumor for him, yet.

Fulgrim is probably the next one to re-awaken since he's probably getting a model in 2018. The Khan, the Lion, or Russ is probably a next.

One of the rumors going around is one loyalist Primarch will turn Traitor and a Traitor will turn loyal, but the only ones who could imo would be The Lion, Russ, or Omegon.

Socrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Magnus is my favorite. Kind of intriguing how he ended up being on the side of chaos without intentionally betraying the emporer.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
i aint all that into 40k, but sanguinius has always seemed pretty rad.

emphasis on the pretty.

Last edited:

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
One of the rumors going around is one loyalist Primarch will turn Traitor and a Traitor will turn loyal, but the only ones who could imo would be The Lion, Russ, or Omegon.
I don't have extensive knowledge about 40k but Alpha Legion is loyal right? even though they're chaos?

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have extensive knowledge about 40k but Alpha Legion is loyal right? even though they're chaos?
No, they're not.

But, they are.

But, not realy.

But yes, they are.

They were basically told that if Horus won, humanity would be destroyed, but so would Chaos, and that would save the galaxy. But if the Imperium won, eventually Chaos would destroy the galaxy. And then they eventually turned on the aliens who told them that.

So....who the fuck knows.

But, they're good guys (they're not).

And every line above is why it's awesome.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017

Sanguinius being dead is a fairly important piece of fluff. They can buff the Sanguinor if they want to play up the psychic remnants of him in the warp manifesting itself physically, but...he's dead bro. If GW brings him back I might melt my BA army (not seriously, but I'll be pissed off).

Might be spoilers, but .... Alpharius is dead.

Dorn is mostly dead. The fists have his ... fist, but the rest of him is missing.

Sanguinus is dead. There's no rumor for him, yet.

Fulgrim is probably the next one to re-awaken since he's probably getting a model in 2018. The Khan, the Lion, or Russ is probably a next.

Re: Rogal Dorn; that's old fluff. Current canon is that the Imperial Fists have all of him, not just his hand, but that he's dead.

Honestly, Russ coming back and the Lion waking up, I could stomach. One more chaos primarch to balance it out at 3 each, but if they try to resurrect and retcon their way to having double digits worth of primarchs in 40k...I'll lose my mind. I like the story progressing and Guilliman being back, but just because Ultras get something doesn't mean every damn chapter needs something to match.

Would be fun to see the Dark Angels fall, have both Russ and Lion come back.
DA have been through enough; OG legion stomping aliens from the word go with Big E; then heresy and a ton of the chapter turning traitor...and then 10,000 years of memes about being secret traitors... they're already traitorous enough in my eyes lol.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The reason I ask is because I have such a huge fascination with the Warhammer 40k / AoS world and lore but really don't want to drop the $ for the tabletop game and miniatures.

Does anyone in the community just read the books and play the video games like me? Am I really missing out on the "complete" experience by not collecting miniatures?

I have minis but mostly to create the characters I love from lore. I also play the games with my spouse, but that's it. I refuse to play against other people.

Anyway, my favorite primarch is Leman Russ. I also like Magnus and Fulgrim.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I love the lore, the fluff, whatever you want to call it.

I have never built or painted a mini.

Also, shout out to the Primarch of Rage, the Primarch of the Angry Marines.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
MAGNUS, THE CRIMSON KING

Feats include catching an enormous Dark Age of Technology Starship with his mind, biomancy-ing himself into the size of a titan, and teleporting his entire legion to the planet of sorcerers.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just bummed I'm almost done with the humble bundle 40k Horus Heresy books :( need me another bundle because they are too expensive to buy solo lol

As for my favorite, Russ seems damn awesome and is loyal to the Emperor

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
No one can truly know which is part of the mystique.

I feel the right answer is that the Legion is split between Good/Chaos to reflect how their Primarchs were on opposite sides (Brother v Brother symbolism!)

Cor

Oct 25, 2017

Re: Rogal Dorn; that's old fluff. Current canon is that the Imperial Fists have all of him, not just his hand, but that he's dead.

Honestly, Russ coming back and the Lion waking up, I could stomach. One more chaos primarch to balance it out at 3 each, but if they try to resurrect and retcon their way to having double digits worth of primarchs in 40k...I'll lose my mind. I like the story progressing and Guilliman being back, but just because Ultras get something doesn't mean every damn chapter needs something to match.

DA have been through enough; OG legion stomping aliens from the word go with Big E; then heresy and a ton of the chapter turning traitor...and then 10,000 years of memes about being secret traitors... they're already traitorous enough in my eyes lol.

Vulkan did say that he was gonna have a chat with Dorn when he last popped up, so... eeeeh. A primarch being felled by regular SM's always sounded odd af anyway, esp one that survived stuff like the iron cage.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
I am surprised and saddened by the lack of mentions for Guilliman. Competent, steadfast, reliable and he treats his mum right. Good Guy Guilliman all the way.

Here's a rare, unguarded vid of Guilliman, captured by a remembrancer during the Great Crusade:

e1tukhZ.gif

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised and saddened by the lack of mentions for Guilliman. Competent, steadfast, reliable and he treats his mum right. Good Guy Guilliman all the way.

Here's a rare, unguarded vid of Guilliman, captured by a remembrancer during the Great Crusade:

"What would you know of struggle, Perfect Son? When have you fought against the mutilation of your mind? When have you had to do anything more than tally compliances and polish your armour?" [...] "The people of your world named you Great One. The people of mine called me Slave. Which one of us landed on a paradise of civilization to be raised by a foster father, Roboute? Which one of us was given armies to lead after training in the halls of the Macraggian high-riders? Which one of us inherited a strong, cultured kingdom? And which one of us had to rise up against a kingdom with nothing but a horde of starving slaves? Which one of us was a child enslaved on a world of monsters, with his brain cut up by carving knives? Listen to your blue-clad wretches yelling of courage and honour, courage and honour, courage and honour. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Courage is fighting the kingdom which enslaves you, no matter that their armies outnumber yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of courage. Honour is resisting a tyrant when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy he feeds them. You know nothing of honour."

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
"What would you know of struggle, Perfect Son? When have you fought against the mutilation of your mind? When have you had to do anything more than tally compliances and polish your armour?" [...] "The people of your world named you Great One. The people of mine called me Slave. Which one of us landed on a paradise of civilization to be raised by a foster father, Roboute? Which one of us was given armies to lead after training in the halls of the Macraggian high-riders? Which one of us inherited a strong, cultured kingdom? And which one of us had to rise up against a kingdom with nothing but a horde of starving slaves? Which one of us was a child enslaved on a world of monsters, with his brain cut up by carving knives? Listen to your blue-clad wretches yelling of courage and honour, courage and honour, courage and honour. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Courage is fighting the kingdom which enslaves you, no matter that their armies outnumber yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of courage. Honour is resisting a tyrant when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy he feeds them. You know nothing of honour."

"You're still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."