• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing game, worth that cheap price.

Discord for ERA, quote to reveal for invite!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I put 30 hours into the closed test and it was only 3 maps.

Game is exceptional.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Looking good. Hope it's better optimised on consoles.
There were a lot of slowdowns on OG XBO.

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
I think this trailer is fantastic.

They're on the final closed test for the game and progress shouldn't be wiped this time. You get access instantly if you pre-order. It's still a smaller portion of the game, though.

I'm not huge on the progression system but overall I think the game is better than V1 in all the important ways. I hope it does really well.

Draliko

Feb 4, 2018
The xp system is the same as the first game? Especially the fact that you get xp only after the mission and not every time you kill something?

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played L4D or anything similar, but this reminds me a lot of running 5 man dungeons in World of Warcraft, which I really loved. How are the maps? Are they generic ruins / forests, or do they have more interesting things going on?

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
Looks good, like the first one too. What differentiates this one from the prior game?

The core is the same but the game has been greatly expanded in concept.
  • Edit: The game now has ARPG-style progression. It is not "an RPG." I'm not trying to give the wrong impression.
  • Each character has 3 subclasses.
  • Each subclass has passive abilities and a strong active ability on a recharge timer.
  • You now level up and gain talents.
  • There are chaos warriors mixed in with the skaven and they have their own unique enemies.
  • On that note: lots more unique enemy types, including multiple types of ogres all with special gimmicks.
  • Combat has been refined.
  • Level design has been refined.
  • Lots of equipment with crafting and reforging available straight out of the gate.
  • You now have a "power level" gained from gear with a lot of opaque benefits that you have to maintain as you level up.
I've never played L4D or anything similar, but this reminds me a lot of running 5 man dungeons in World of Warcraft, which I really loved. How are the maps? Are they generic ruins / forests, or do they have more interesting things going on?

Generic in the sense of design or art direction? They feel very Warhammer Fantasy, which is generic in a way but also very "grimdark" and bleak. There are indeed ruins and forests. There's also misty swampy areas, cathedrals, caves, orc strongholds, and other dark-fantasy or WHF staples. I think the game does a good job of making the areas of each map distinct and memorable. On a design level, it's overall good. You constantly are examining the geometry of the map to find loot or gain an advantage in combat. It feels like the developers really cared about how everything looked and came together, even the generic ruins and forests.

Last edited:

Krakle

Oct 27, 2017
Really tempted to buy this. Didn't play the first one. Anyone know what the community was like?

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Looks ace.

I really liked the concept of the first but never got a group together to play through it with,

Still worth getting through the first or just diving into this one?

Faria

Jan 26, 2018
The core is the same but the game has been greatly expanded in concept.
  • The game is now an RPG. Each character has 3 subclasses.
  • Each subclass has passive abilities and a strong active ability on a recharge timer.
  • You now level up and gain talents.
  • There are chaos warriors mixed in with the skaven and they have their own unique enemies.
  • On that note: lots more unique enemy types, including multiple types of ogres all with special gimmicks.
  • Combat has been refined.
  • Level design has been refined.
  • Lots of equipment with crafting and reforging available straight out of the gate.
  • You now have a "power level" gained from gear with a lot of opaque benefits that you have to maintain as you level up.

Generic in the sense of design or art direction? They feel very Warhammer Fantasy, which is generic in a way but also very "grimdark" and bleak. There are indeed ruins and forests. There's also misty swampy areas, cathedrals, caves, orc strongholds, and other dark-fantasy or WHF staples. I think the game does a good job of making the areas of each map distinct and memorable. On a design level, it's overall good. You constantly are examining the geometry of the map to find loot or gain an advantage in combat. It feels like the developers really cared about how everything looked and came together, even the generic ruins and forests.

Ah, definitely not for me then. I had hoped the first would fill the L4D void in my heart but it didn't come close. :(

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
Really tempted to buy this. Didn't play the first one. Anyone know what the community was like?

It was fine at first but dropped off fast. I haven't had a particularly positive experience with it, but like most online games, it can be totally random. You'll have much more fun playing with a premade than pubs, but it's also not really a problem because people tend to become utter heathens after everything falls apart, so it's easy to leave in response.

Ah, definitely not for me then. I had hoped the first would fill the L4D void in my heart but it didn't come close. :(

Yeah same :(

I really like the game, but as someone with L4D as one of my all time favorite games, it really doesn't hit the same notes at all. It's like playing Overwatch to get your TF2 fix.

Oct 26, 2017
  • The game is now an RPG. Each character has 3 subclasses.
Lol. Sometimes I'm amazed to people's conceptions of genres.

The first game is a hack & slash coop game with some progression. The second game is a hack & slash coop game with slightly more progression. It's definitively the same genre. Hell, it's a pretty safe sequel, it plays the same for 99% of time.

Krakle

Oct 27, 2017

It was fine at first but dropped off fast. I haven't had a particularly positive experience with it, but like most online games, it can be totally random. You'll have much more fun playing with a premade than pubs, but it's also not really a problem because people tend to become utter heathens after everything falls apart, so it's easy to leave in response.

Thanks.

I don't know anyone else that will play this so maybe I'll wait for the OT and group up with some Era people.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Thanks.

I don't know anyone else that will play this so maybe I'll wait for the OT and group up with some Era people.

I have had good luck in pubs. You will get the occasional jerk, but I seem to bump into them much less than in other games. More often than not, there are people in the games that are willing to help out and guide you. It really helps to have a mic, but if not atleast pay attention to what your group is saying and doing.
Also the bots for Vermintide 1 were competent. So you could always just run a bot game to get the hang of it, or test out a new character.
The bots in V2... are lacking. But that has just been in the Closed test.

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
Talent tree + unlocking new passive and active abilities + increasing gear score through equipment.

I wasn't trying to say it's Skyrim, but there's definitely character customization and a gear treadmill there. It's light for sure, but not dissimilar from something you'd see in an ARPG, and it has a pretty big impact on the game.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
I'm loving the preorder beta so far. It plays great and fixes my issues my issues with the first game (which I still played a ton of): lack of character customization/specialization and frequency of loot drops. Also, the graphics are really beautiful.

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game difficulty and enemy numbers scale with the number of people you have in your group? Or do you have to have a full group?

Krakle

Oct 27, 2017
I have had good luck in pubs. You will get the occasional jerk, but I seem to bump into them much less than in other games. More often than not, there are people in the games that are willing to help out and guide you. It really helps to have a mic, but if not atleast pay attention to what your group is saying and doing.
Also the bots for Vermintide 1 were competent. So you could always just run a bot game to get the hang of it, or test out a new character.
The bots in V2... are lacking. But that has just been in the Closed test.

Didn't realise there were bots, that's a pro. Thanks for your help. I think I'll buy the game!

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll wait for the console release. But I look forward to the reviews and impressions in the meantime.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I recorded some gameplay with my wife and friend.

Even already it's such a perfect blend of a chill have fun an bs with friends atmosphere, but then it gets super intense and all the joking stops because everybody is so focused. It's a ton of fun and vastly improved over the first game.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Dug the first game but never really sank my teeth into it, looking forward to this one. First game seemed really fun, my roommate was always playing with people and it looked like fun. Loved the fire mage.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Played the beta or technical test as well and enjoyed it, leveling and loot is done better, more varying enemy types and mini bosses, game looks fantastic and and the music is superb again. Can't wait.

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the last game to be run on Stingray given they mostly forfeited this engine a few weeks ago (Autodesk).

That's pretty interesting. The game looks fantastic and seems to run quite well for me and a few friends I play it with. If it is the last game to come out of that engine, it's a damn fine one.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Looks really cool and I LOVED the music in the trailer.

I never played the first game, but I assume this is something I could easily play with a buddy and have a good time with.

Is there a lot of story here or is it more about killing waves and getting to the end of a level?

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played 2 but the level design in the first one was fantastic.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game is currently only 18.40€ over at CDkeys.com. Including the pre order beta, which started today afaik. Progress will carry over.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the early access beta an early build or just early access to the game? The game's out in a couple of days.

Progress will carry over. It runs relatively hassle free, performance is fine. There are only three levels though, all classes are playable. I think it's early access.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Hope the AI is better / more useful than the first, I don't play with real people

Also hope they get rid of the bad motion blur

Made taking good screenshots almost impossible

That's pretty interesting. The game looks fantastic and seems to run quite well for me and a few friends I play it with. If it is the last game to come out of that engine, it's a damn fine one.
Formely Bitsquid. You can still use Stingray, but only as a Maya plugin, and it is unsupported. They could not compete with Unreal/Unity, which is what they wanted to do.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really had a good time with this. A few issues with balance that can be fixed. But overall man it was ace.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
wow where did this come from?

Ok so any info about a console release date? FPS/ Resolution?

I may just get it on pc anyway, but I feel these types of games have a larger community on consoles.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
For my money, this series has the most satisfying first-person melee combat out there. There's a downright tactile sense of weight and impact when you smash a rat man's head in with a big fucking hammer.