• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
On 31st of January 2019, despite having a small but stable community continuing to play the game, Sony shut down the servers for the online shooter Warhawk. As a veteran of the game, I was heartbroken over the loss of such a game, as it was very unique within its genre, including having a sandbox style of map design, as well as its open ended gameplay which allowed for things such as sticking a bunch of mines onto a jeep and driving it into the enemy's base before bailing out and letting the rest take its course. That's not even including the plethora of game modes, with more added in later updates, including a mode where a random member of yours and the enemy's team become more powerful for a limited time, earning a bonus if you manage to kill the opposing member. The only way to play online after that was through using third party software to tunnel the game's LAN mode (either through Xlink Kai, or Warhawk Reborn, the latter of which was a lot less painless to get up and running than the former), but did not allow for stat tracking or trophy earning.

Until now. Thanks to some dedicated fans, Warhawk has been brought back from the dead through the use of the PlayStation Online Network Emulated system (or PSONE, har har). The process is as simple as changing the DNS of your stock PS3, and you should be good to go, but if you're still confused as to how to do so, here's a video tutorial.

And to go off on a bit of a tangent, that's not all the team is working on, as they're attempting to revive the online servers of other Sony published games, including WipEout HD (a bit redundant since Omega Collection, but if you want to earn the online trophies, why not?), SOCOM Confrontation, and even Home, with other games in the planning stages, Killzone among them. As a preservationist, this is all very exciting for me.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Might check this out.

Would LOVE if we could get something like this for the 360 just for ChromeHounds

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
This would be the perfect game to revive as a F2P, massive online game. Warhawk was so much fun in the limited time I had to play it. I used to go over my cousins house just to play this game.

Oct 27, 2017
God damn this is awesome!

Plans for PS Home as well? Just like MGS4 and Demon's Souls, I love this.

Now I am hoping Gravity Rush 2 gets something like this if possible.

Oct 27, 2017
Love the game, and can't wait to try it onljne again. Is there any chance doing this could get your account or system in trouble with Sony?

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Why this game isn't made into a FTP game with heavily customizable outfits for sale is beyond me. My favorite multiplayer experience ever.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do these custom servers generally use the same DNS? I've got my PS3 setup for the Demon's Souls private server, would be nice if that meant I can just launch into Warhawk now.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, if they manage to get Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2/3 back online I'm going to have to take my PS3 out of semi-retirement.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They should port it to pc and ps5 just call it Warhawk: BACK ONLINE with crossplay. Honestly I think Sony should look into porting old ps3 games like Mag, Resistance and Killzone to pc first before ps4, since a lot of ps3 games will die with the systems since they will never be backward compatible on new platform. Easy money from me, would love to play infamous 2 in 4k 120fps.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
I always hated the unofficial servers, as they would have poor rule sets or an irate host could kick strong players, but this is an overall good. I'll have to get my PS3 back in shape to try it out.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn that title got me excited something was coming in an official capacity, but this is super cool nonetheless.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
omg this would be the best game to bring back for PS5

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
7KCr3N2.gif

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Do these custom servers generally use the same DNS? I've got my PS3 setup for the Demon's Souls private server, would be nice if that meant I can just launch into Warhawk now.
I don't think so. I don't see Demon's Souls on the list, probably since it's already online.
YO!!

You can earn legit trophies through this omg let me get some of the Ps3 platinum baby!!!
Yup. Too bad the hackers ruined my stats toward the end of the game's life by resetting them into the deep negatives. The team for this though will ensure that folks that do that will be punished for it. Hopefully they'll be able to reset your stats should such a thing occur.

They should port it to pc and ps5 just call it Warhawk: BACK ONLINE with crossplay. Honestly I think Sony should look into porting old ps3 games like Mag, Resistance and Killzone to pc first before ps4, since a lot of ps3 games will die with the systems since they will never be backward compatible on new platform. Easy money from me, would love to play infamous 2 in 4k 120fps.
You can play it on RPCS3, but I know it's not the same thing as a native PC or PS5 port. Lord, the things I would do for such a thing.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think so. I don't see Demon's Souls on the list, probably since it's already online.
Yup. Too bad the hackers ruined my stats toward the end of the game's life by resetting them into the deep negatives. The team for this though will ensure that folks that do that will be punished for it. Hopefully they'll be able to reset your stats should such a thing occur.

You can play it on RPCS3, but I know it's not the same thing as a native PC or PS5 port. Lord, the things I would do for such a thing.
Yeah, lots of things they can do with all the ps3 games. Multi platform ps4, ps5 pc release make so much sense.

Oct 28, 2017
You could always setup your PS3 as a server, cant you still do that? So the game will actually never be offline for good?

I used to run my Ps3 as a Warhawk server while I was at school lol.

And I am one of those dozen or so Warhawk fans who religiously bring it up all the time when people ask about games Sony should bring back. I just loved that game so much. Ahead of its time really, and the sound design is still one of my favorites. I have never had a game sound so immersive on my home theater system.