• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017

Easter egg contest:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/620590/announcements/detail/1651012249539260411

I think it's noteworthy to highlight what Warhorse is doing here. They're cooperating with Destructive Creations (developers of such games as Hatred, and IS Defence, yes, you read that right) on their new game Ancestors Legacy.

DC is pushing Ancestors as "historically accurate", just as KCD did, but a little research from journalists quickly brought to light that this amounts to one of their team being a "total history freak" and talking to a bunch of LARPers.

Looking at their track record I certainly wouldn't trust them with something like that, yet Warhorse is giving them legitimacy with something like this.

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
We all probably know the controversy around KCDs director, but I didn't expect that they would openly go and promote a plainly said right extremist dev studio.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
We all probably know the controversy around KCDs director, but I didn't expect that they would openly go and promote a plainly said right extremist dev studio.

ZB3j30g.jpg

Why? This is exactly who they are, and who they've always been. Vavra's a misogynist, gamergate-supporting, racist far right shitbag--of course he'll be happy throwing his lot in with more of the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
aren't the hatred developers a bunch of (literal) neo-nazis?

the head of the studio liked the facebook page of nazi polish defense league

and when called out on it responded:
"As for me supposedly 'supporting' Polska Liga Obrony on Facebook," Zielinski wrote Polygon in a Facebook conversation today, "I've liked this page, because it's source of an information what is going on right now in the middle-east and Europe (and a lot of evil shit is going on — those are REAL problems, not our game). Some things media would not show, nor tell. So: no, I'm not any kind of 'supporter.'

"I don't watch TV, I don't have time to follow all the news. If there's some evil shit is going on in Europe or Middle East, I get the message on my wall. That's simply the only reason I've 'liked' this page. And I don't see how giving a 'like' is threaten as supporting something. (sic)"
i guess there are no longer any doubts about vavra if he would collaborate with these people

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Why? This is exactly who they are, and who they've always been. Vavra's a misogynist, gamergate-supporting, racist far right shitbag--of course he'll be happy throwing his lot in with more of the same.
Sure, but the studio as a whole seemed to be on damage control to me, so this surprises me.

It's frankly worrying, since KCD pulled in a great amount of sales and now show their many fans just another "historically accurate" game from a developer these fans probably dont know anything about.

May 18, 2018
I can't wait to see what weird reason they'll have to not include anything but white dudes for this. I hope they just say it's because we want to preserve the white race in video games so woke people can twist themselves into pretzels trying to explain why they are still playing the game

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sure, but the studio as a whole seemed to be on damage control to me, so this surprises me.

It's frankly worrying, since KCD pulled in a great amount of sales and now show their many fans just another "historically accurate" game from a developer these fans probably dont know anything about.
the success of kcd shows that you can be alt-right and still sell games

hell, many people probably explicitly bought it because of its gamergate connections

no wonder vavra would be even more explicit with his alt-right stances. it sells among a certain crowd

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Well, at least with this I won't have to worry about missing out on a good game. Hatred, beyond any tastlessness, was a poor game.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Out of many developer who could create a better roleplaying experience or historical accuracy and they picked this? Yeah, Vavra is a true shithead no doubt about. Thankfully I got the game for free and I will play it just to see how nationalistic the content is.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least with this I won't have to worry about missing out on a good game. Hatred, beyond any tastlessness, was a poor game.
It's managing 82% positive reviews, which is a fair bit more than what Hatred managed, and the game doesn't seem to be the kind of game edgelords would buy and ironically upvote for kicks. It's an RTS game described as:

Take command of your army as you storm through medieval Europe in an extensive series of campaigns. Choosing one of the four available nations – Viking, Anglo-Saxon, German, Slav – you will be tasked with more than just conquering, raiding and pillaging enemy camps, villages and towns. Only by utilizing the full range of available tactical options, taking strategic advantage of the environment, and managing your temporary bases and settlements, will you emerge victorious.

Ancestors Legacy is a historically accurate real-time strategy game influenced by historical events in the Middle Ages. The game combines resource management and base building with large-scale, squad-based battles across vast battlefields, all rendered in great detail thanks to the Unreal Engine 4 tech. Experience medieval bloodshed like never before, thanks to the cinematic action camera that puts you right in the middle of the battle at the press of a button.

And looking at the reviews, the fanbase seems composed of RTS fans, not... whatever Hatred's fanbase was supposed to be.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is going on?

Never thought (god I'm naive) that right-wing politics would affect video games. Now here we are, the whole world seems to become more binary every day.

Oct 26, 2017
It's managing 82% positive reviews, which is a fair bit more than what Hatred managed, and the game doesn't seem to be the kind of game edgelords would buy and ironically upvote for kicks. It's an RTS game described as:

Take command of your army as you storm through medieval Europe in an extensive series of campaigns. Choosing one of the four available nations – Viking, Anglo-Saxon, German, Slav – you will be tasked with more than just conquering, raiding and pillaging enemy camps, villages and towns. Only by utilizing the full range of available tactical options, taking strategic advantage of the environment, and managing your temporary bases and settlements, will you emerge victorious.

Ancestors Legacy is a historically accurate real-time strategy game influenced by historical events in the Middle Ages. The game combines resource management and base building with large-scale, squad-based battles across vast battlefields, all rendered in great detail thanks to the Unreal Engine 4 tech. Experience medieval bloodshed like never before, thanks to the cinematic action camera that puts you right in the middle of the battle at the press of a button.

And looking at the reviews, the fanbase seems composed of RTS fans, not... whatever Hatred's fanbase was supposed to be.

Exactly, it's a medieval RTS game but people are looking for controversy in the game.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

I mean, I don't disagree, but the time to 'worry' was back when Kingdom Come came out. Warhorse made their name on a game developed by a hateful shitbag to promote his hateful shitbag ideology--this is just more of the same. The situation is just as shitty as it already was.

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't sure about people hating Vavra here, it always seemed to much for me - but now he cooperates with real nazis, so I admit something wrong with him.

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Well sure, but do you really believe with their track record and their methods they created a historically accurate game? It wouldn't surprise me if it's full of whitewashing and problematic stuff, even if that's not at the forefront.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Anybody wanna see if the KCD defense force is gonna show up for this fuckin' thread? It's amazing how many people fucking bought the "historical accuracy" shit too.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people who raged against women in BFV also blindly defended Vavra and Warhorse in all those KC:D threads hmmmmmmm.jpg I think I need a Venn diagram.

Anybody wanna see if the KCD defense force is gonna show up for this fuckin' thread? It's amazing how many people fucking bought the "historical accuracy" shit too.

There's been a lot of mass-ban threads lately (Kendrick stopping that white girl saying n-word, BFV having women), so it's possible their numbers have dwindled.

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, it's a medieval RTS game but people are looking for controversy in the game.
You can express right extremist views without making your game directly about it like in the case of Hatred or IS Defense. Just because it's not the main topic that doesn't mean its not there.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, did not know about this problematic history regarding Kingdom Come Deliverance's dev.. I have been interested in it for a while now. Almost bought last month but got caught up in a glut of other games. But this is enough to ensure I never touch it, yikes.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
aren't the hatred developers a bunch of (literal) neo-nazis?

the head of the studio liked the facebook page of nazi polish defense league

and when called out on it responded:

i guess there are no longer any doubts about vavra if he would collaborate with these people
Lmao

"I intentionally cut myself off of all news sources and instead chose to receive it filtered exclusively through literal Nazis. But I don't support Nazis, no."

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Well, that sucks. When I first saw the Tweet I had no idea those were the same devs who developed Hatred.
I mean, I don't disagree, but the time to 'worry' was back when Kingdom Come came out. Warhorse made their name on a game developed by a hateful shitbag to promote his hateful shitbag ideology--this is just more of the same. The situation is just as shitty as it already was.
That's BS.

Let me clarify. It's true that Vavra is an asshole but the game doesn't push any ideology.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It fucking sucks that these guys continue to be shitty. Kingdom Come is a really good game.

Oct 26, 2017
You can express right extremist views without making your game directly about it like in the case of Hatred or IS Defense. Just because it's not the main topic that doesn't mean its not there.

In Ancestor Legacy as far as i know there's nothing "right extremist" or extremist themes, same goes to KCD.
The creators ideology does not affect the games content in this case.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It fucking sucks that these guys continue to be shitty. Kingdom Come is a really good game.
Yeah, I agree. I have some problems with the lack of progression and the difficulty curve in the game but the new roadmap has me properly excited for the future of the franchise, especially the hardcore and tournament modes.

Let me clarify. It's true that Vavra is an asshole but the game doesn't push any ideology.
You'd have to play the game in order to know that, something that sadly most of the people involved in this discussion have not done. Most people simply extrapolate Vavra's political views to the content of the game, which is understandable but also a dishonest (and in this case wrong) way of game critique.

Last edited:

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is going on?

Never thought (god I'm naive) that right-wing politics would affect video games. Now here we are, the whole world seems to become more binary every day.

It's been an undercurrent aspect of the industry since it's inception. It's just it, as well as many other aspects of culture, have felt no need to mask it anymore.

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
In Ancestor Legacy as far as i know there's nothing "right extremist" or extremist themes, same goes to KCD.
The creators ideology does not affect the games content in this case.
I'll have to read a few articles about it then.

Nonetheless still not a good look promoting this developer at all and the historical accuracy part.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anybody wanna see if the KCD defense force is gonna show up for this fuckin' thread?

I doubt Vavra will get another chance to roll everyone in the flour like he did for KCD, because the backslash is maybe not that audible but real and deep. Even without bugs, KCD is mediocre when coming to pure mechanism and gamedesign. It's an empty shell, a playable machimina with simplistic minigames and a gamesystem easily broked and diverted by the player.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Well, that sucks. When I first saw the Tweet I had no idea those were the same devs who developed Hatred.

That's BS.

No story is free of ideology--it's impossible to write such a thing. And when a misogynist, white supremacist piece of human fucking faeces puts out a game that promotes a 'racially pure' vision of Europe's past, in which non-whites are either enemies to be fought, or not present at all, and women 'know their place' - as either plot trinkets with no agency, sex workers with no characterisation, or romantic interests - it's really not hard to see what that work's bloody ideology is.

Now, can't deny that this is all based on critiques I've read of the game, since I have no desire to play it myself, but since that fundamental sticking point - Vavra being the kind of hateful trash who makes life hell for women, on the internet and off - remains true regardless, I have no issue with accepting those critiques.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
No story is free of ideology--it's impossible to write such a thing. And when a misogynist, white supremacist piece of human fucking faeces puts out a game that promotes a 'racially pure' vision of Europe's past, in which non-whites are either enemies to be fought, or not present at all, and women 'know their place' - as either plot trinkets with no agency, sex workers with no characterisation, or romantic interests - it's really not hard to see what that work's bloody ideology is.

Now, can't deny that this is all based on critiques I've read of the game, since I have no desire to play it myself, but since that fundamental sticking point - Vavra being the kind of hateful trash who makes life hell for women, on the internet and off - remains true regardless, I have no issue with accepting those critiques.
You'd have to play the game in order to know that, something that sadly most of the people involved in this discussion have not done. Most people simply extrapolate Vavra's political views to the content of the game, which is understandable but also a dishonest (and in this case wrong) way of game critique.

Especially the stuff about women. But while I agree that the relationship/courting stuff could have been done better, saying that "women 'know their place' - as either plot trinkets with no agency, sex workers with no characterisation, or romantic interests" is just plain wrong.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

Especially the stuff about women. While I agree that the relationship/courting stuff could have been done better, saying that "women 'know their place' - as either plot trinkets with no agency, sex workers with no characterisation, or romantic interests" is just plain wrong.

Eurogamer
More apparent to me was the back-slapping laddishness revolving around bedding women. I'm pursuing a love story over here, while over there bedding a noble and having one-night stands. That's in addition to my Troubadour perk which makes me even more irresistible to women and lets me use the "bathwenches" for free, which ties into a key mechanic of keeping yourself clean and patched up. It also means I get the Alpha Male buff (+2 to Charisma) because I've been satisfied and apparently it shows. It literally says that. The game's Codex even feels the need to describe the ideal woman of the time: "a thin, pale woman with long blonde hair, small rounded breasts, relatively narrow hips and a narrow waist".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't see why I should give a game made by someone who despises women, who associates himself with a misogynist hate movement that has actively ruined women's lives, any benefit of the doubt on this.

Last edited: