• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Out of these four studios, whose next project(s) are you excited to see the most?

• NetherRealm

Votes: 83 15.1%
  • Rocksteady

Votes: 362 66.1%
  • WB Montreal

Votes: 24 4.4%
  • Avalanche

Votes: 79 14.4%

• Total voters

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So with Geoff confirming that The Game Awards will have more than 10 brand new game announcements, it got me thinking about Warner Bros specifically and what their subsidiaries have been up to over the past few years. We already know that NetherRealm, Rocksteady, WB Montreal and Avalanche are hard at work on their next games so I wanted to use this thread to speculate on what we could potentially see at next weeks TGAs.

1. NetherRealm Studios: Mortal Kombat XI

latest

Earlier this year, Ed Boon practically teased MKXI with this Twitter post.

Now NetherRealm have a reputation of putting out a new game every 2 years with Mortal Kombat 11, Injustice, Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2 being no different. The safe assumption is to believe that MKXI comes out in 2019 to follow this trend.

The twitter post is a nice little tease and all but this doesn't suggest that the game is even ready to be shown off to the public, right? Well, it's only natural to assume that. However, with NetherRealm skipping E3, I'm going to assume that Warner Bros will use The Game Awards as a means to announce this new project. We've had Daniel Pesina (the OG Johnny Cage) confirm that MKXI is in development and that he's been working with them on the mocap side of things. Also Lalo Garza (voice actor for Kung Lao, Rain and Reptile) made this tweet a while back. It seems all but confirmed to show up at TGAs at this point with actors openly talking about it.

GzSdo2w.png

I personally think that NetherRealm's new game is definitely a cross-gen title which leads me to believe that we'll be seeing it soon.

Will they show up?: Extremely Likely

2. Rocksteady Studios: GaaS DC Game

rocksteady_display.png

Coming off of the successes of their final entry in the Arkham series, Rocksteady have been extremely quiet about what they've been working on the past 4 years. We got this tweet from the marketing game manager last year.

QfvuURp.png

With no where to be seen at E3 2018, game director and co-founder of Rocksteady, Sefton Hill took to Twitter to make this post

zEHdU90.png

Now I'd like to put this out there but Rocksteady (and any other game dev really) should absolutely take their time. I wouldn't want them to feel pressured to announce something prematurely.

The studio director over at Rocksteady posted this in the leadup to the San Diego Comic Con

TigNKFG.png

Rocksteady have stated multiple times that their next title is a next-gen game. It is unknown whether they plan on it being cross-gen or not. Rocksteady and WB Montreal have been hiring recently for a AAA game but what strikes me as being different is that many of the job positions available are 2 and 2+ year contracts. This leads me to believe that Rocksteady are at a point in production where they can bulk up on staff and that this is possibly indicative of a potential launch window. Also I'm certain it's another DC title considering a few of the positions have an explicit requirement to have some sort of comic book knowledge.

YzAkVdP.png

jpg

JBgTVB3.png

This game does seem to be a huge deal considering they explicity state that they want it to acheive a 90+ Metacritic score (but then again what dev DOESN'T want this?)

I think it's important to place emphasis on the fact that during this hiring period, Rocksteady were looking for a community manager. The position has since been filled now but the description of the job strikes me as

rocksteady-aaa-game-1132825.jpeg

Hiring for a community manager at this point in development? Sounds to me that they want to gear up for an announcement. Although it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if Rocksteady didn't know, TGAs seem like a perfect place to announce their new game, even more so than E3 due to higher viewership.

Now, what game would they announce? Well, there's been a bunch of speculation that it could be a Justice League game which is probably what I'm leaning towards IMO but don't hold me to that. Rocksteady have already hired a product manager who was responsible for Shadow of War's GaaS stuff. A Justice League backdrop would be the perfect kind of thing for this approach. Just putting this out there, but the person who was hired was responsible for earning WB $5 million in extra revenue for Injustice 2 and another $8 million for Shadow of War through consumables and Virtual Currency.

To further add to the GaaS argument, Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment recently partnered with Studio Gobo for projects "2018 and beyond". For those who don't know about Studio Gobo, they offer console game development services for character action games, focusing on post launch content. Their past titles include For Honor, Disney Infinity, and F1: 2012. While they don't outright state that they're working with Rocksteady, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Will they show up?: Possibly, but don't hold your breath.

3. Warner Bros. Montreal: 2 open world DC Universe games (Bat Family and Superman?)

220px-WB_Games_Montr%C3%A9al_logo.png

After releasing Arkham Origins back in 2013, we haven't seen much of WB Montreal. Aside from working on the post-launch content for Arkham Knight, they've been relatively quiet. This is a studio around the size of 500 people mind you. Earlier this year, there were a few job listings posted suggesting that they're making a new game set in the DC Universe. What's interesting though is that a few weeks back, Osama Dorias (senior game designer at WB Montreal) revealed in an interview that he's finished working on said open-world DC Universe game and that he's been moved onto a new project. He mentioned that the project he worked on is a major DC IP and that it was one of the reasons he joined WB Montreal alongside WB Montreal's new game director, Geoff Ellenor. (thanks est1992 !) I'm almost certain it's a Bat game in some capacity, there's been a few rumors here and there that it's an open-world Bat Family game. I think it's also fair to mention that this new game from WB Montreal could potentially be multiplayer. A job listing for a lead gameplay programmer from last month revealed that they're looking for someone who has shipped a multiplayer console game before to work on a next-generation new IP.

nnrrgDU.png

Regarding the second project they're working on, we know that WB Montreal have worked on a canned Superman game before so if that's the second project we'll probably won't be seeing it for a long, long time. Osama has already stated that the game is in no state to be announced at all.

The LinkedIn profile from WB Montreal level designer Jerome Parent points to an 'unannounced UE4-based open world game'

CGxHsoR.png

Will they show up?: For project one, there's a possibility, although just like Rocksteady, I wouldn't hold my breath. No chance for project 2 however.

4. Avalanche Software: Next-gen open world Harry Potter console game

latest

Avalanche became a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment back in 2017. We all know that a Harry Potter game leaked a while back, Eurogamer states that it's being developed by Avalanche which seems sound. I don't really see this popping up at The Game Awards considering the footage shown off seems to be in an early state. BBC News reporter Lizo Mzimba had this to say about potential final names of the project.

From what we know of this project, there were a few job postings in early 2017 looking for writers with a "deep understanding of British culture and grammatical presentation", and also with a good knowledge of "gaming narrative and branching storytelling, particularly in the realm of RPGs". According to job postings, the project has been described as a large-scale AAA console game project which leads me to believe that this is a next-gen game and we won't be seeing it for a while. I'm interested to hear more about it when the team is ready however.

Will they show up?: No chance

Well, what do y'all think? Out of these four, I'm most excited to see what NetherRealm and Rocksteady have been cooking up. As much as I'm skeptical about Rocksteady appearing at The Game Awards, I would absolutely love for them to reveal their next project to us.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is one of those going to be the proper reveal of that proper non-Lego Harry Potter game?

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Mortal Kombat XII
Batman Arkham State (full open world) or New Harry Potter game
Superman game
LEGO Fantastic Beasts

Nov 14, 2017
Mortal Kombat XI - NetherRealm
Superman: Fall of Metropolis - Rocksteady
Batman Beyond - WB Montreal
Harry Potter: Wizarding World - Avalanche Software

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I could see them doing 1,2, and 4. Maybe all four if Rocksteady's new project isn't at all DC-focused. WB is steadily becoming a very major publisher, and if they don't want to do their own E3 event - this gives them an equivalent audience. Arkham City got an early reveal during the Spike TV era - so clearly they think the audiences line up. WB might also have intended to capitalize on any FB2 hype by planning this reveal for now instead of E3.

I also think that Avalanche game is pretty likely. That footage looked early, but absolutely up to par with other announced games.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I voted Avalanche, because of all the rumours surrounding that Harry Potter game.
Being the huge Harry Potter fan that I am, I really can't wait to see what they come up with.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Rocksteady. And my bet is on Superman. A few reasons:

Jonneh posted a tweet saying the Batman games were fun today right at the same time he made a tease about Metroid Prime 4 being at the Game Awards. He deleted the tweet because people thought it pointed to an Arkham game, but I think he was pointing to Rocksteady's Superman game.

Also, Rocksteady has a relationship with the Game Awards. They've had a couple of reveals there.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
they wont be there (except *maybe* for MK11) and we will all guffaw at how they skipped the entire year of 2018 without saying anything.

Oct 25, 2017
We've all known Rocksteady and NR have been working on something for quite some time yet didnt show at e3 so both are a fairly safe bet here

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine Harry Potter will be there as it's next gen. Seems super early to announce in comparison to other things on deck. I would bet on Rocksteady and one of the Montreal games.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
We are also way past due on some kind of MK Legacy Kollection that includes arcade perfect ports of MK, 2, 3, UMK3, 4 and maybe even throw Mythologies and Shaolin Monks ports in for good measure.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't mind if Netherealm didn't make MK11 but make a Horror Fighter with Freddy, Jason, Creature of the Black Lagoon, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy..

It's just an idea I wish someone would do but more Mortal Kombat is fine by me

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Rocksteady and WB Montreal have been hiring recently for a AAA game but what strikes me as being different is that many of the job positions available are 2 and 2+ year contracts.
I think this is a Warner Bros standard practice, because they've been doing that for 3+ years now.

I suspect Warner Bros just doesn't want to give people full staff benefits, and keeps offering them successive contracts. They were often noted as a publisher that liked to clamp down on costs with things like this IIRC.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Hitman DLC reveal
Mortal Kombat 11 teased, I expect logo only
Harry Potter footage
DC related game

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how hyped I am for more NetherRealm. I don't even like fighting games and their next game is near the top of my most anticipated list.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think this is a Warner Bros standard practice, because they've been doing that for 3+ years now.

I suspect Warner Bros just doesn't want to give people full staff benefits, and keeps offering them successive contracts. They were often noted as a publisher that liked to clamp down on costs with things like this IIRC.
Ah damn, I didn't know that actually.

Do you think Rocksteady will show up at the TGAs?

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
We already saw the leaked trailer for the Harry Potter game, so i think it will be that one, no?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we'll be getting either of the first two, both seem like big projects and with the generation ending soon, those seem like they'll be saved until then.

The Harry Potter game seems likely and I can imagine Avalanche has a small Batman game in the works too.

Last edited:

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea how much I thirst for Mortal Kombat news. All I care about.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
With some of those being rumored as cross-gen, that makes buying any of these a bit of a gamble if they're coming out next year. I don't expect to hear anything about next gen from Sony/MS until mid-late next year, so how do they market these if so?

Jul 13, 2018
FYI, the GaaS Product Manager working with Rocksteady on their unannounced game left WB this past summer. Don't know of any replacement.

Jul 13, 2018
You know what, I didn't consider this but IO and WB could absolutely reveal the contents of the first expansion at the TGAs. Nice shout.
Would a DLC announcement fall under the 10 new announcements/world premieres? I believe Geoff stated alongside those new announcements, we'd here about updates to recent games.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Would a DLC announcement fall under the 10 new announcements/world premieres? I believe Geoff stated alongside those new announcements, we'd here about updates to recent games.
I think in the case of Hitman, it'd be an update to a recent game instead of counting as a "world premiere"

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

It'd just be an update.

Anyway, they couldn't potentially do this because we all know they'll only show off one of these. If I have to choose I hope a DC title.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
FYI they said 10 game REVEALS not announcements.
They consider new trailers for existing games to count for that.
I'd say 3 new games, 2 new DLC and 5 trailers for existing stuff.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
FYI they said 10 game REVEALS not announcements.
They consider new trailers for existing games to count for that.
I'd say 3 new games, 2 new DLC and 5 trailers for existing stuff.
Geoff specifically said 10 new game announcements and the rest were updates on existing games we know about.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
there were already rumors next rocksteady game will be revealed in either Q1 or E3 so i dont think it will show up here.
HP is wayy too early
MK11 is most likely getting reveald.