• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
L4D broke new ground for its time, more than a decade ago. I played it too and enjoyed my time with it.

But this is 2019. Dozens, if not hundreds, of other similar games have been released since then.

Is it really that popular of a genre? I can't think of anything outside of Vermintide and Payday 2 that remotely compete.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
It's a different publisher, so hopefully WB learned from 2K's mistakes.

I sure hope so! I'm currently deep into Vermintide 2. I love the gameplay and I like their DLC model, which is to let you pay for the additional maps coupled with some items and skins. They're going to release their first real expansion this summer. I prefer this over purchaseable lootboxes, or currencies, etc. If Turtle Rock adopts a similar approach, I can see myself playing both games. But I have to say I'm done with multiplayer games having their own currenciesthat you have to purchase to have an incredibly low chance of getting an item you want. If the MTX are only skins, I'm ok with that though. But slow xp/gold grinding to purchase a gun that cost you 25 hours of gameplay when there are 100s of weapons to purchase, I'm done with this stuff.

Is it really that popular of a genre? I can't think of anything outside of Vermintide and Payday 2 that remotely compete.

True. This genre hasn't been tapped all that much to be honest. I welcome any new game similar to L4D!

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They were Left 4 Dead after trying to Evolve. Now they're Back 4 Blood.

After the disaster that was Evolve that I mistakenly spent money on I'll wait and see how well it's received during a sale.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just love how turtle rock name their games.

Left 4 Dead and that iconic cover art.
EVOLVE with that 4 v 1 cover art, has to be one among one of the greatest cover is gaming history.
And now they are Back 4 Blood. Ha.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
This is where I'm at, there has been quite a few games with that focus since L4D 2 so, if it's just more of the same fine, fans will be pleased but most people won't give it a chance.

The announcement gives me that 4 player coop TPS egypt game vibes.
Agreed. Plus expections of co-op shooters on the whole have changed massively since Borderlands, Destiny etc.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
L4D broke new ground for its time, more than a decade ago. I played it too and enjoyed my time with it.

But this is 2019. Dozens, if not hundreds, of other similar games have been released since then.

I'm really not seeing dozens of similar games, much less hundreds. The closest ones would be Payday, Vermintide, Deep Rock Galactic and Overkill's The Walking Dead, along with the upcoming World War Z game. Being a 4 player co-op shooter or a game about shooting zombies doesn't make them similar; L4D had a very particular design philosophy that very few games have attempted to replicate.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a different publisher, so hopefully WB learned from 2K's mistakes.
I think in this case, it's hope WB learned from Shadows of War, because this genre of game is actually more suited to the kind of loot crate and mtx nonsense they pulled than Shadow was.
Still a new spin on L4D from the devs of L4D. I'm interested, but this seems a long way off.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
FPS.. co-op.. zombies.. multiplayer...

25ZT.gif
Did you ever play L4D 1 or 2? Absolutely amazing games.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm kind of over zombie only games unless they have a strong narrative behind them. Is it really that hard to use other supernatural creatures? I'm not saying zombies have to go, but maybe mix them in with vampires, werewolves, demons, etc. Give me a coop Monster Squad game.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
no buy until i see at least 5 launch versions and 15 pieces of dlc at launch

but seriously it's nice to see a game announced with a publisher i could actually buy from if i end up liking it

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm keeping in eye on this one. If Valve is never going to make L4D3 then I hope this becomes the worthy successor.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Like what? L4D 1 and 2 are legitimately the best co-op shooters I've ever played, and I can't even think of 5 games that have done what they've done. Vermintide maybe?

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
True. This genre hasn't been tapped all that much to be honest. I welcome any new game similar to L4D!

Yep. My only doubt is how much influence Valve had during L4D development, so the result they gave us ended up being what it was, a really solid game. Evolved was next to crap. I'm confident they do it right this time. L4D 1 & 2 are both one of my favorites shooter ever just because they put heavy emphasis on the co-op mechanics, something that has been lost i recent years in most genres. I easily have over 100+ hours on L4D1 and 2 each, and around 40 hrs with Payday 1. So bring it!

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yooooooooooooo

Fucking loved L4D, and I'll take pseudo L4D3 any day of the week.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Interesting.

I wonder if this is financed by WB Games like Mortal Kombat etc or whether it's a straight distribution deal like Cyberpunk 2077 with Turtle Rock financing development themselves?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like it if this blended moving from place to place a la Left 4 Dead, but also contained areas which need to be defended, more akin to CoD Zombies or Killing Floor

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Local coop, singleplayer campaign online coop ala gears or multi coop ala destiny or anthem?
They need to stick as close as L4D1 and 2 as possible That means local/couch co-op splitscreen (or LAN) with online co-op classic servers, you enter, wait at the lobby, then play a campaign from point A -> to B. Have different modes (play as the zombies/infected enemies), add scores or maybe a battleroyale mode if you like, i don't know. But from this game i'm not expecting anything crazier than that. Keep it close to L4D, thats it what i really want

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I think in this case, it's hope WB learned from Shadows of War, because this genre of game is actually more suited to the kind of loot crate and mtx nonsense they pulled than Shadow was.
Still a new spin on L4D from the devs of L4D. I'm interested, but this seems a long way off.
I'm a little more hopeful since - unlike with Monolith - WB doesn't own Turtle Rock.