• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those movies are to horror what marvel movies are to action films, to be fair. Hard to criticize them like that.
I mean, I've seen some people call him the best horror director of all time. It's like... If you've only seen his movies maybe...

Just a really overrated director with no actual reason to be excited for Aquaman imo

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Age of Ultron is a film that is less than the sum of its parts. I think each individual part or plotline works, but put together is a bit of a mess.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the biggest failure of Ultron was having a really great Ultron but only having him for 7 minutes in the movie that was supposed to be about him; but is instead about everything.

And even then, Age of Ultron still did everything better than Justice League.

Yeah. Off the top of my head it sets up at least in part: a villain for Black Panther, Stark's motivation for Civil War, Thor & Hulk's absence from Civil War and thus Ragnarok, introduces Vision who will be very important in Infinity War, introduces Scarlet Witch (and Quicksilver but you know), gives Hawkeye much needed characterization/backstory, sets up motivation for the villain of Civil War, etc

Age of Ultron is a film that is less than the sum of its parts. I think each individual part or plotline works, but put together is a bit of a mess.

Agreed here too. There's so many scenes in Ultron I really love; the movie as a whole? It's fine.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AoU is arguably the closest to a DC style producer meddling movie the MCU has had yet. It's too short for what it tries to cover, for example the Thor subplot was insisted on by Marvel at the same time that they insisted it not run "too long."

It's also too quippy, and some of the dialogue really didn't land for a lot of folks (the Banner/Widow stuff raises a lot of hackles) but it's also got some deft story construction; the party scene paying off with Vision's introduction in particular.

I get why some put it near the bottom of the MCU pile (especially people tired of Whedon's humor) but it's not the disaster of a film some want to pretend it is. It has more that a few delightful moments that make it worth watching and it's an important fulcrum in the overall story arc of the MCU.

Frankly with how much heavy lifting it does to move pieces around on the board for future films, it's remarkable that it's not a BvS level clusterfuck.

Honestly the AoU party scene and Vision payoff are strong evidence that Whedon isn't totally worthless. Both are strong scenes and I find the party scene to be an MCU highlight

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Avengers is overrated nonsense.

Guardians of the Galaxy remains the Marvel highpoint

Yes, anytime she had to open her mouth and act she was terrible, ala Megan Fox comparison.

Patty Jenkins gets credit for WW
Glad someone agrees with me, gal Gadot is horrendous. Patty Jenkins deserves a ton of praise for tricking people into liking her.

Oct 25, 2017
Well given the mediocrity of his output he wouldn't be able to even if he wanted to.

Right.

Except audiences clearly didn't think so which is what DC wanted. Especially given that JL is looking to bomb big time at the box office.

I don't particularly think DC was concerned with your taste in movies as much as they were with Whedon being the guy that delivered to highly grossing team up movies.

I mean, I've seen some people call him the best horror director of all time. It's like... If you've only seen his movies maybe...

Just a really overrated director with no actual reason to be excited for Aquaman imo
Like I said, though, calling him bottom of the barrel is being fairly ignorant of what's really at the bottom of the barrel. Wan is a very talented technician and even a bit of an innovator with how much he likes to play around with camera mobility in order to generate scares (the camera flip from underneath the bed in The Conjuring was some really great work on that front), and his love of the genre is truly genuine. I don't know if that means that Aquaman is going to be great, but it's definitely a lot better for having someone like Wan at the helm than most directors out there.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, though, calling him bottom of the barrel is being fairly ignorant of what's really at the bottom of the barrel. Wan is a very talented technician and even a bit of an innovator with how much he likes to play around with camera mobility in order to generate scares (the camera flip from underneath the bed in The Conjuring was some really great work on that front), and his love of the genre is truly genuine. I don't know if that means that Aquaman is going to be great, but it's definitely a lot better for having someone like Wan at the helm than most directors out there.
I'm sorry, for horror films he is what I call bottom of the barrel and very representative of the generic Hollywood horror films that get pumped out. Nothing redeemable.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I doubt it will happen.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like Age of Ultron. I get and agree with most of the criticism, but I dunno, I think it's a fun watch.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Gal Gadot and Chris Hemsworth are bad actors who are perfect for Wonder Woman and Thor.

4Euo29A.gif

tumblr_inline_n9yuhvbEZg1s89ip2.gif

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, for horror films he is what I call bottom of the barrel and very representative of the generic Hollywood horror films that get pumped out. Nothing redeemable.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I doubt it will happen.

You keep saying bottom of the barrel but you don't seem to realize that when it comes to horror, the easiest and cheapest kind of film to make, the barrel is almost infinitely deep.

I've seen easily hundreds of horror films. Based on Insideous and Death Sentence alone, he's nowhere near the level of sheer ineptness I've sat through while watching low budget horror flicks.

You keep saying bottom of the barrel but you don't seem to realize that when it comes to horror, the easiest and cheapest kind of film to make, the barrel is almost infinitely deep.

I've seen easily hundreds of horror films. Based on Insideous and Death Sentence alone, he's nowhere near the level of sheer ineptness I've sat through while watching low budget horror flicks.
Hell, he's not even bottom of the barrel even if the barrel is strictly for mainstream horror films.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, he's not even bottom of the barrel even if the barrel is strictly for mainstream horror films.

Insideous has nothing of value to say, and is ultimately a shallow thrill ride but it scared the hell out of me both times I've watched it. Extremely good technical execution of horror as a craft. Maybe needs some work on making films with heft, like, say, The Thing or The Fly.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give us a TLDW instead of linking a 16 minute video fam.

And LOL if you wanna lay the blame for this trash movie on a dude they brought in for 11th hour reshoots.
I didn't watch the spoiler section, but...

TL:DW
- Whedon wasn't just brought in for 11th hour reshoots (although he did those), he was brought in during the script phase to try and fix the script.
- Whedon wrote a Wonder Woman script back in 2005, which was ditched in favor of what Patty Jenkins eventually gave us. It leaked online recently and people were shocked to find that it was horribly sexist. Whedon being brought in to "fix" Justice League gave him a second chance to push for his 2005 version of Wonder Woman.
- An insider allegedly told this reporter that the JL cast hated Whedon.
- Whedon recycled a face-in-boobs joke from Age Of Ultron.
- Gal Godot would have refused to do the face-in-boobs joke, so Whedon didn't ask, he hired a body double.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Those lower budget b and c rate movies have their own inherent qualities however. The recent string of 2000s and 2010s generic horror really has no redeeming qualities and I feel wan is the main figurehead of that style.
But people liked her in BvS.

Did they?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just here to repeat that Chris Hemsworth is actually great in Rush. Gal Gadot is just awful compared to him. To me it seems like she struggles with every one of her lines.

But people liked her in BvS.

She had two lines and most of her screen time was that of a digital double.

There was barely anything to judge her for in BvS.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
WW definitely came off better than the two title characters in BvS, but I'm convinced that that was just an unintended consequence of her very limited screen time.

If it had been a Trinity film, I'm sure Snyder would have given her her own subplot of dark, brooding violence, likely poisoning the well for her solo film.

Those lower budget b and c rate movies have their own inherent qualities however. The recent string of 2000s and 2010s generic horror really has no redeeming qualities and I feel wan is the main figurehead of that style.
Watch films like Night of Something Strange and Carnage Park and tell me what inherent qualities they have that Wan's films don't have.

You really have no idea what bad looks like if Wan is the face you're putting on it.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, back in 2011:
[Superman] is the freaking […] biggest superhero on the planet. He's the father of every superhero. [Deborah and I] were just talking about this – I'm like, really? Thor? Thor has a movie? [Laughter.] Really? I mean, come on. And there's no Superman movie? This is, like, the world's out of balance. It's like, we've lost our minds here, people, come on."
https://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-superman-thor/

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
The Conjuring 1 & 2 and Insidious are shit, but it's not James Wan's fault. The directing was perfectly fine, it's just the stories are the same old lite-horror fare that's popular these days. No death, no blood. Jumpscares in a creepy house. Still far ahead of garbage like Paranormal Activity though.

Saw 1 was amazing and Furious 7 was very well liked, I'm sure he'll be one of the stronger parts of Aquaman. They just need a script that works.

I personally find this Whedon discussion silly. If you want to slam him for the reshoot scenes specifically that's fine, but it's clear that this mess was far and away Snyder's vision. It's not like they cut him out right before they started filming, they brought everyone back after everything was done! Even complaining about the flat, shot-reverse shot look to his scenes is a little disingenuous considering they had to rush and do everything on the cheap, while polishing up the rest of the script.

Edit: As for those particular details regarding the "face in boobs" joke etc., those are fair points. But consider that he was still a step up from what they were working with from Snyder. That man's sensibility is a black hole.

Last edited:

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
We really hating on Gal again?

She was great in Wonder Woman, at no point in the movie did she stand out for below par acting.

Edit - she should be the face of the next 'phase' of DCEU movies definitely. Heck, make her the face of DCEU. She's captured hearts as Wonder Woman.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's still kind of amazing to me that WB banked SO MUCH on Snyder.

Man of Steel wasn't a runaway hit or anything, wasn't it just moderately successful?

Why did they give him the keys to everything after that? Its so bizarre.

We really hating on Gal again?

She was great in Wonder Woman, at no point in the movie did she stand out for below par acting.

Edit - she should be the face of the next 'phase' of DCEU movies definitely. Heck, make her the face of DCEU. She's captured hearts as Wonder Woman.
Yeah, I don't get the hate for Gal Gadot myself. The only thing I'd knock her for isn't even something I'd knock her for specifically, since I didn't really understand why all of the other Amazon had to speak with a quasi-Israeli accent, including vets like Connie Britton and Robin Wright. Gadot was quite charming throughout that film and had a very tangible self-confidence about her when she carried herself around, be it the action scenes or the simpler interactions with the rest of her team. Malin Akerman, she ain't.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Chris is a goddamn incredible comedic actor.

Has he done a serious drama worth seeing?

Blackhat was great, Rush was aiight. Bruhl steals the show from him in the latter but Hemsworth isn't bad in the movie

That's about it. Those are his two best movies imo. Though I agree he seems to work better as a comedic actor.

Edit: actually I wouldn't call blackhat a straight up drama tho. It's more of like Michael Manns take on a Johnnie To action movie combined with his penchant for realism (in this case all the hacking jargon). His movies with Ron Howard are more traditional drama movies if you're looking for that.

Last edited:

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Conjuring 1 & 2 and Insidious are shit, but it's not James Wan's fault. The directing was perfectly fine, it's just the stories are the same old lite-horror fare that's popular these days. No death, no blood. Jumpscares in a creepy house. Still far ahead of garbage like Paranormal Activity though.

Yep, dreadful films. No true horror fan would call them good.

And as for gal Gadot being the face the DCEU... Have you guys seen her in justice league? Yikes.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like Gal Gadot. She's nearly Christopher Reeve tier in that role to me. Just spot on.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, dreadful films. No true horror fan would call them good.

And as for gal Gadot being the face the DCEU... Have you guys seen her in justice league? Yikes.

I am a huge horror fan. It's my favorite genre and I watch at least one new horror film a week (I would watch way more if I had time).

They are good movies. All of them. Not the godly stuff that reviews suggest (at least for the Conjuring movies), but they are effective in what they do. They all have a few decent creepy moments, which is more than I can say for 99% of the genre.

The only thing I'd knock her for isn't even something I'd knock her for specifically, since I didn't really understand why all of the other Amazon had to speak with a quasi-Israeli accent, including vets like Connie Britton and Robin Wright.
Because the other Amazons should logically sound like her, or else where did her accent come from? Her mother, in particular, should sound like her.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a huge horror fan. It's my favorite genre and I watch at least one new horror film a week (I would watch way more if I had time).

They are good movies. All of them. Not the godly stuff that reviews suggest (at least for the Conjuring movies), but they are effective in what they do. They all have a few decent creepy moments, which is more than I can say for 99% of the genre.

I mean, you can think that and that's fine. I am more than willing to say you are incorrect however. Nothing creepy, just dumb spooky house and jumpscare "horror"

Because the other Amazons should logically sound like her, or else where did her accent come from? Her mother, in particular, should sound like her.

Except they don't sound alike at all lmao, if that was the goal it wasn't achieved at all.