• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Wonder Woman was good, but you're going to have a hard time convincing people that it's a more memorable film than X2/DoFP/Logan, Spider-Man 1/2, Deadpool, Iron Man, BB/Dark Knight, Winter Soldier, or Avengers. Being the first DC film that wasn't poorly written since Christopher Nolan moved on doesn't automatically make it the best superhero film of all time.

Avengers is a modern classic because everyone you know has seen it, everyone still quotes it, its impact is still being felt in blockbusters half a decade later, and it's still rewatchable today.

It will take much more time to say the same of WW.

Tired, with multiple "cinematic universe" films reviewing well and making $800 million+ just this year? Come on.

Everyone I know hasn't seen Avengers, nor do they care to. Also nobody quotes Avengers? Mean Girls is still quoted more often than Avengers. Replace every instance of "Avengers" with "The Dark Knight", and your argument holds up. Goodbye.

So Star Wars is the only thing considered a classic to you? You keep saying things aren' classic without explaining why. What makes a movie a classic and what are 5 of the most recent movies on your list?

Avengers isn't a classic, and classics differ by genre. The 5 most recent i've seen is a hard one. The most recent i've seen in theaters is Lady Bird. After that I would say Blade Runner 2049 has a strong chance to go down the same way the original did. The Dark Knight is a good one for that list. I personally think The Witch will be remembered in the horror genre as a classic. Inglorious Basterds belongs on that list too. Avengers holds up to approximately 0% of those. Fight me. Classic films require high quality film making, Avengers is good at best.

In terms of cultural importance? It absolutely holds a candle.

In terms of quality?

... Actually, it holds a candle there too. A New Hope is not a bastion of cinema. Empire is another story. But if we're going to be honest with ourselves, there are many blockbusters equal to or better than A New Hope by this point.

A New Hope is better than Avengers and it ain't even close.

Star Wars wasn't wholly original either. It's got its roots deep in the pulp scifi Lucas grew up with. Flash Gordon. John Carter. Even a scarred dark wizard villain in scifi armor was something Marvel's own Doctor Doom did over a decade prior.

It was just an enjoyable and influential film that resonated - like AVENGERS - but it didn't pioneer storytelling or character arcs. It was The Hero's Journey... A template used centuries before in all manner of literature and plays.

I never claimed that Star Wars was completely original, I said it's better than Avengers, which is true at least in my opinion. It was also way more important in terms of influence than Avengers will ever be.

Again, you're making points that aren't actually arguing against what I'm saying. Is A New Hope not the definitive movie of a generation despite the fact many people consider its sequel to be better than it? No. Again, completely humoring you, even if I agree that TFA is better than Avengers, that is not an argument against the Avengers being an all time classic. You're moving (extremely subjective) goal posts instead of acknowledging the truth in other people's theater-going experiences.

Again, why? Because you say so? Where is the proof that audiences don't like Marvel's cinematic universe anymore? Show me the receipts.

You need to step it on back, you're circling around what I'm saying and bringing up new and exciting shades of bad arguments. I'm done humoring you after this. The Avengers wasn't a "definitive movie going experience", there was nothing particularly special about the occasion, I would know, I was there and I can't remember anything about it. What I do remember is people waiting in the cold days in advance for TFA and seeing news reports on the whole situation, I cannot say the same for Avengers. Avengers isn't even a classic in the terms of the past 10 years, much less of all time. It's embarrassing that you would hold that movie up next to things that are of actual high quality that have something to say.

You're welcome to have your wack ass truth in theater going experiences, but to hold up the Avengers next to actual classic movies is sad.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
People trying to discredit Marvel Avengers aren't seeing the bigger picture here. I'm a huge DC fan, but even I acknowledge everyone owes it Marvel for kicking off the superhero era of movies.

Avengers was a great movie, period.

DC needs to stop aping, and do their movies in their own style.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved Avengers at the time. It's worsened with age but I think it's still good. I think all the Marvel films are just good, whereas something like The Dark Knight, while also losing charm over time, verged on greatness. That Joker performance was one for the ages.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Honestly? I found the last two season of the CGI Clone Wars to be even better than this series (other than animation but even then it's still impressive for TV CGI).
Still working through that series, could change when I get there.

I'm no Avengers fan but I think it will remembered more than TFA. The latter doesn't seem to have left any cultural footprint. I feel that the only reason we still remember the newer movies is because there's one every year.
I don't agree. We were talking about theater-going experiences, not cultural footprints. Next.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People using anecdotal evidence to discredit the impact Avengers and TFA had. Who in god's name references Mean Girls over Avengers? You should wash your mouth with soap for even suggesting that.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
People trying to discredit Marvel Avengers aren't seeing the bigger picture here. I'm a huge DC fan, but even I acknowledge everyone owes it Marvel for kicking off the superhero era of movies.

Avengers was a great movie, period.

DC needs to stop aping, and do their movies in their own style.
Disagree (kind-of). I despise the X-Men movies, but they did start the whole superhero movie thing that Marvel eventually turned into a yearly plan and had success with.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
People using anecdotal evidence to discredit the impact Avengers and TFA had. Who in god's name references Mean Girls over Avengers? You should wash your mouth with soap for even suggesting that.
@ Me, also it makes more sense in the context of the argument, and it's true. See me next October 3rd when people are celebrating Mean Girls day while Avengers has..........what? Kick it down the road bb.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You honestly think the Avengers gets referenced more than Mean Girls, one of the most quoted movies of all time, that literally has its own day in October? Come on now.

@ Me, also it makes more sense in the context of the argument, and it's true. See me next October 3rd when people are celebrating Mean Girls day while Avengers has..........what? Kick it down the road bb.

Avengers is the 5th grossing film of all time. People reference "I'm always angry" all the time. If you think some subset of the internet celebrating October 3rd means anything in the real world you're straight up delusional.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone I know hasn't seen Avengers, nor do they care to. Also nobody quotes Avengers? Mean Girls is still quoted more often than Avengers. Replace every instance of "Avengers" with "The Dark Knight", and your argument holds up. Goodbye.

Avengers isn't a classic, and classics differ by genre. The 5 most recent i've seen is a hard one. The most recent i've seen in theaters is Lady Bird. After that I would say Blade Runner 2049 has a strong chance to go down the same way the original did. The Dark Knight is a good one for that list. I personally think The Witch will be remembered in the horror genre as a classic. Inglorious Basterds belongs on that list too. Avengers holds up to approximately 0% of those. Fight me. Classic films require high quality film making, Avengers is good at best.

A New Hope is better than Avengers and it ain't even close.

I never claimed that Star Wars was completely original, I said it's better than Avengers, which is true at least in my opinion. It was also way more important in terms of influence than Avengers will ever be.

You need to step it on back, you're circling around what I'm saying and bringing up new and exciting shades of bad arguments. I'm done humoring you after this. The Avengers wasn't a "definitive movie going experience", there was nothing particularly special about the occasion, I would know, I was there and I can't remember anything about it. What I do remember is people waiting in the cold days in advance for TFA and seeing news reports on the whole situation, I cannot say the same for Avengers. Avengers isn't even a classic in the terms of the past 10 years, much less of all time. It's embarrassing that you would hold that movie up next to things that are of actual high quality that have something to say.

You're welcome to have your wack ass truth in theater going experiences, but to hold up the Avengers next to actual classic movies is sad.

You're one of like 3 people in here with this hot take, and somehow think I'm the one being humored here? Lmfao you're arguing against facts with opinions so often I can't tell if you're a troll or not.

"The Avengers wasn't a definitive theater going experience, there was nothing special about it, I would know, I was there" is the actual funniest thing I've heard on here all week though, so thank you for that gem.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Avengers is the 5th grossing film of all time. People reference "I'm always angry" all the time. If you think some subset of the internet celebrating October 3rd means anything in the real world you're straight up delusional.
zqtDSSE.gif

Nov 13, 2017

Mean Girls is literally about to debut as a Broadway musical and you're calling me delusional. I'd love to survey a group of people and see which quotes they remember more:

On Wednesdays we wear pink, stop trying to make fetch happen, Boo you whore, I'm a cool mom

VS

I'm always angry

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You're one of like 3 people in here with this hot take, and somehow think I'm the one being humored here? Lmfao you're arguing against facts with opinions so often I can't tell if you're a troll or not
You're using the same amount of opinions as I am, sweetheart. Stop being delusional. Now i'm done talking to you.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Mean Girls is literally about to debut as a Broadway musical and you're calling me delusional. I'd love to survey a group of people and see which quotes they remember more:

On Wednesdays we wear pink, stop trying to make fetch happen, Boo you whore, I'm a cool mom

VS

I'm always angry
Just don't bother with them, you aren't going to convince them. They have a Spider-Man Homecoming avatar

zqtDSSE.gif

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

VS

I'm always angry
I understood that reference...
Edit: beaten. Oh well... Puny God, then.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I say "puny god". Dunno.

I can tell you I instantly recognized the reference to that scene in Ragnarok, even before Loki calls it out.

I never saw Mean Girls.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
No, Wonder Woman and the Nolan trilogy was received fairly positively.

Everyone collectively did say, "why the fuck are you giving Snyder work" though.

Eh, the way I see it everyone loves anything Nolan puts his name on. I love his shit, too, but I think he's an outlier and any style he tries will be given a chance that others don't get. There's no "BUT WILL THE KIDS LIKE IT!?" with his movies like other DC movies got.

Wonder Woman to me was DC trying to be more Marvel-like and succeeding with the reviews because of that. It hit a decent middle ground that I wouldn't mind more of, but to me it pales in comparison to BvS and doesn't really try to be anything more unlike Snyder's movies.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How did a Thor vs Justice League thread turn into an Avengers vs Mean Girls thread? That's straight up bizarre.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You believe you were inside the mind of every theatergoer in every theater during the Avengers run and somehow think I'm delusional? Whew. And I thought bleepey was bad.
Boy, fuck it, i'm not done. I could poll everyone I know who went and saw the Avengers and they wouldn't know it from the last time they went to the movies. For kids, sure maybe it was a big occasion, outside of that, probably not. Then again, maybe i'm overestimating who i'm talking to here.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

VS

I'm always angry

I mean this totally convinced me. A broadway musical vs the movie that cemented the highest grossing film franchise in the cultural zeitgeist.

How is this even an argument?

Just don't bother with them, you aren't going to convince them. They have a Spider-Man Homecoming avatar

zqtDSSE.gif

You know someone finally ran out of stupid things to say when they point out your avatar.

Mr_Derp

Oct 27, 2017
The only MCU movies you could ever even try to argue are anywhere near bad movies are Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor 2. Even then,other than Hulk, those are more like unremarkable (there's a spectrum here, not just good or bad) and somewhat by the books with some good stuff thrown in there, not outright incoherent garbage with nothing enjoyable to them.

Kind of like pop songs where the singer is good, there is an ok catchy melody but all in all no one will put them among the GOAT pop songs or listen to after 6 months. Like Thor 2 had death of Thor's mother, Thor & Loki shenanigans, Loki's "death", the portal jumping action near the end and a basic if a bit unimaginative "when things align bad guys can get access to great power if they are not stopped" storyline which might not set anyone's world on fire but it gave a coherent enough a framework for a story where some enjoyable things happen.

50% bad my ass. There's hardly a single movie that is outright bad like actually horrible movies like Suicide Squad and FantFourStic are. Mediocre at worst.
Disagree.

Marvel movies have good casting and distract you.

2 of 3 Iron mans were bad

The first 2 Thors are bad (haven't seen new)

Hulk was bad.

Civil War was bad.

Age of Ultron was bad.

The cast is good. So good that we tune in. But much of the plot is bad. The villains are bad.

All of the complaints about DC films fit into the Marvel movies as well. DC execution is poor. Casting is hit and miss.

If you remove the current Marvel cast, the films would be looked differently. Because many of the movies are below average.