• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since yesterday I found the game super choppy

made some tests

120hz VRR : choppy
60hz without vrr : good
120hz without vrr : choppy
60hz with vrr : good

Results : don't put 120hz for this game

Xbox really has issue with this setting

Mod edit (credit to SlipperyFishes )
4K/120hz
  • Known Issue: If you are using a 4K@120Hz TV that also supports VRR you might encounter no signal or corrupted image when the Xbox is configured for 4K120+VRR. This issue occurs with various TVs from LG, Samsung, or Vizio.
  • Workaround:
    • Update to the latest firmware on your TV
    • If the issue still persists, also consider trying the following:
      • Configure the console for 4K/60 with VRR by going to Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> check the box for Allow variable refresh rate.
      • Configure the console for 4k/120 with no VRR by going to Setting>General> TV & display options>Video Modes> uncheck the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under "Display" in TV & Display options.
      • If you wish to experience 120hz and VRR, please configure for 1080p/120hz VRR or 1440p/120hz VRR by Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> check the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under "Display" in TV & Display options.
    • If you are experiencing a corrupted image, here are your workarounds to reverting back to a safe video mode:
      • Restart your console and configure your video modes to one of the listed options above.
      • If you're still experiencing a corrupted image after restart, disable VRR on the TV. Please consult your TV manufactures on how to do this.
      • If the issue still persist after steps 1 and 2, perform the video mode reset sequence to get back to a safe state and configure for one of the two options above. To do this, follow the steps on this page here under "Your screen is blank after you turn on the console > Reset your display settings".
answers.microsoft.com

Known Issues on Xbox Series X|S

Last Updated: 3/22/2021 at 5:00PM PST Hi there, It's an exciting time. The Xbox Series X|S consoles have both launched and we hope you're enjoying your time with the next generation of gaming. In the

Last edited by a moderator:

WpX

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
EDIT: After closing out the game, then changing the xbox to only output 60hz, this fixed the issue. For some reason when you have it at 120hz the game is actually trying to doing 120hz....either they intended for this to run at 120hz and this is what we are in for with cold war...or something just got messed up.

I am thinking the latter. Because they would have been promoting 4k 120 hz if that was the case. Only cold war has promoted that. Really hoping it runs ok.

Last edited:

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
I posted in the other thread Falus

Nothing changed for me, in fact when you change your xbox itself to only output 60hz, go back into your game and press the green button on your CX remote multiple times until the info box comes up. It will tell you that your game is STILL running at 4k 120hz.

To test this you need to go to a brick wall or any wall with a pattern, get kinda close to it and just sway your gun left to right at it and watch it stutter. Or you fan even just strafe left to right.

It diidnt matter if i turned VRR OFF and 60hz or any combo.

The info box did change when I turned VRR off as it said "FIXED" but no matter what it always said it was still running at 120hz

EDIT - Rav just told me in the other thread I need to fully quit the game and come back in to test this. I am going to do it now.
Quit game and restart it when you changed video settings.

Dec 11, 2017
There is supposed to be an update for the LG CX coming soon to fix something VRR related impacting the Series X, right? I can't find the tweet right now and I'm fuzzy on the details.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since yesterday I found the game super choppy

made some tests

120hz VRR : choppy
60hz without vrr : good
120hz without vrr : choppy
60hz with vrr : good

Results : don't put 120hz for this game

Xbox really has issue with this setting
You don't happen to have Skate 3 do you? For some reason, Skate 3 was performing rougher than I remembered it doing on my One X. Now I'm thinking it's probably because I had the console set to 120hz VRR. I'll try it 60hz and see if that sorts it out.

On a C9 though.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Its just not smooth. And I only have this issue with COD MW. Other games run fine.

Just moving camera is enough. I did my test in local MP without bots

Weird... I just tested it in a match of Warzone and with some bots and it's still super smooth for me. I have my Series X set to 4K 120hz with VRR and HDR enabled, I have my C9 set to PC mode for full RGB and I have HDR set to HGIG.

Also I have my Audio on the Xbox set to Stereo Uncompressed as 7.1 was giving me issues with some games.

EDIT: I just remembered I don't have the High Resolution Texture Pack add on thing installed, maybe that's what's causing it?

MaxBill1908

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Samsung Q90T and when I put the Xbox into 120hz everything seemed great in AC Valhalla, but when I started to switch games a couple of time it seemingly lost the HDMI input or something, but only while in game when I closed the game I saw the Xbox menu again. Put it to 60hz for now and did not had any issues ever since.

WpX

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
So you can confirm it's An issue with 120hz for you as well. Hopefully they will fix it.

Yes and I am using the CX as well. Also notice when you take it off of 120hz you lose the RGB 4:4:4 and therefore cant use the HDMI input for PC. That's another road to travel tho.

I am just glad this workaround worked because it was making me sick. Hoping this doesn't happen in Cold War

Microsoft Troubleshooting / Workarounds

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Falus
4K/120hz
  • Known Issue: If you are using a 4K@120Hz TV that also supports VRR you might encounter no signal or corrupted image when the Xbox is configured for 4K120+VRR. This issue occurs with various TVs from LG, Samsung, or Vizio.
  • Workaround:
    • Update to the latest firmware on your TV
    • If the issue still persists, also consider trying the following:
      • Configure the console for 4K/60 with VRR by going to Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> check the box for Allow variable refresh rate.
      • Configure the console for 4k/120 with no VRR by going to Setting>General> TV & display options>Video Modes> uncheck the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under "Display" in TV & Display options.
      • If you wish to experience 120hz and VRR, please configure for 1080p/120hz VRR or 1440p/120hz VRR by Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> check the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under "Display" in TV & Display options.
    • If you are experiencing a corrupted image, here are your workarounds to reverting back to a safe video mode:
      • Restart your console and configure your video modes to one of the listed options above.
      • If you're still experiencing a corrupted image after restart, disable VRR on the TV. Please consult your TV manufactures on how to do this.
      • If the issue still persist after steps 1 and 2, perform the video mode reset sequence to get back to a safe state and configure for one of the two options above. To do this, follow the steps on this page here under "Your screen is blank after you turn on the console > Reset your display settings".
answers.microsoft.com

Last Updated: 3/22/2021 at 5:00PM PST Hi there, It's an exciting time. The Xbox Series X|S consoles have both launched and we hope you're enjoying your time with the next generation of gaming. In the

OP
OP
Falus

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Falus

answers.microsoft.com

My other issue is with vrr/allm actually not 120hz

But I have falconeer too. And in 120 FPS mode it's very choppy as well. MW might try to go 120fps in 120hz and fails miserably.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020

WpX

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I just checked with other games. With the XBOX set to 4k 120hz with VRR on, I went into Doom Eternal and Apex legends. Even tho those games arent optmized to run at 120h, when you are in game and press your green button on your CX remote...it still reads 4k 120hz just like CoD MW did. However in these two games none of the issues that popped up in Cod MW happened here.

This seems to be specifically happening in games. The Xbox might see you want to run 120 hz, but the game you are playing scales it down to 60hz on its own where maybe CoD is trying to do it? Not sure. Hoping this gets fixed....at least there is a work around. Please dont let cold war have this issue.

Oct 28, 2017
Not a CoD player, but when I enabled 120hz in my Series X I discovered that Sea of Thieves was flickering with black frames (also on a LG CX 55").

I hadn't connected my TV to the internet since I got it, but doing so and updating the firmware on the TV fixed the issue for me. Worth trying for anyone having 120hz issues.

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
Not a CoD player, but when I enabled 120hz in my Series X I discovered that Sea of Thieves was flickering with black frames (also on a LG CX 55").

I hadn't connected my TV to the internet since I got it, but doing so and updating the firmware on the TV fixed the issue for me. Worth trying for anyone having 120hz issues.
And which firmware are you currently running on your CX? 03.11.25 perhaps?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Yeah, LG released necessary TV patches for the next gen consoles in the last few days, that's correct.

Have my console standard on 120 hz and had no problems in the 20+ games I tried so far.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
is there a benefit running the refresh rate at 120hz if the game is only 60 fps or even 30 fps? less latency?

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
I had stutters in Killer Instinct on my CX with my Series S in 4k 120Hz but disabling AMD Premium Freesync in the LG settings while still keeping 4k, 120, ALLM, VRR on the Series S fixed the issue for me. I'm on firmware 3.11.25 on my CX.