• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I don't understand the issue. You have, basically, a downvote button already. Why comment shit like "awful level" or something like that, when this level could very well be some 5 year old's level or something? I just don't get the need to interject your shitty opinion into everything online lol

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When there is nothing wrong with the op post and you and others are saying what nintendo is doing is good really shows how it's not and how basically shows how out of touch they continue to be with somethings especially online.

I literally don't know what you're talking about, but what is the intrinsic value of saying "this map is trash" when you already have a boo button? Is the boo button not toxic enough and you have to just spill more negativity into the internet than you already are? What if it's someone's 7 year old kid who made it? Am I five minutes away from hearing a but muh free speech argument?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
But that's jumping into conclusion. First, i dont even play the game so there is no proof to that. Second, negativity term is very broad, when i say i dont like that product, it is already a negative comment. Besides, are you forcing me to say "i like it" while i actually dont like it? To me, that doesnt sound like opnion, but more like dictatorship in term or consumerism

You don't have to write a comment.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
"If you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Something constructive is something nice, as it helps a fellow creator/player of the game out with their future levels. You can make someone's day that way. It's better to do that than ruin someone's day.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
No kid wants to boot up Mario Maker, check on their hard work and read "pretty bad". It's a fun game not a school assignment

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But that's jumping into conclusion. First, i dont even play the game so there is no proof to that. Second, negativity term is very broad, when i say i dont like that product, it is already a negative comment. Besides, are you forcing me to say "i like it" while i actually dont like it? To me, that doesnt sound like opnion, but more like dictatorship in term or consumerism
Don't write anything.
The same advice you should take for this website and the internet at large.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think there's a line. I had a level in the first game where a couple of people called it bad and I didn't do anything. In MM2, though, I did report a comment on one of my levels in which the commenter called it "literal cancer"

Jan 10, 2018
I've written a couple of negative comments without getting a warning. But they have all been constructive, such as: "Not very intuitive, hard to understand the solution at the end".

I guess wording and intent has to be pretty clear.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a line. I had a level in the first game where a couple of people called it bad and I didn't do anything. In MM2, though, I did report a comment on one of my levels in which the commenter called it "literal cancer"
That's fully understandable to report, comments as long as they aren't bad shouldn't be reported.
Lol yeah okay considering your posts are don't say anything that's even worst.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I can't believe you guys are saying something as innocent as "this level is very bad" is being an asshole. I agree the boo button is enough and perhaps it's something that should be moderated, deleted, warned, whatever. There are many ways to deal with negativity before a ban. But some of you guys are not just ok with the ban, you're going ham with those who are not.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
It's probably to protect kids. That looks similar to the levels that my 3 years old would make. Lol.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah I think i agree with this. It's a family friendly game of which negative comments serve no purpose. They have the "boo" button for curation reasons, and that's all you need.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
This seems fine as long as they give proper warning.

Also, I'm genuinely curious what would happen if you manually typed out boo as a comment instead of using the button.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe you guys are saying something as innocent as "this level is very bad" is being an asshole. I agree the boo button is enough and perhaps it's something that should be moderated, deleted, warned, whatever. There are many ways to deal with negativity before a ban. But some of you guys are not just ok with the ban, you're going ham with those who are not.

Honestly what purpose does telling some kid that their Mario Maker level is bad serve? I'm not talking about "constructive criticism" here I'm saying posting "this is bad" or "this sucks".

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
When there is nothing wrong with the op post and you and others are saying what nintendo is doing is good really shows how it's not and how basically shows how out of touch they continue to be with somethings especially online.

Games aimed at kids should have special protections. This has nothing to do with their other online problems.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Nah, this isn't cool

I'm still salty about the 3 day Xbox live ban I once received for having the word 'ass' in my profile. It wasn't even used in an an insulting way.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LBP had comments and people who didn't care for them could just disable them. Why Nintendo so bad at this?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, how bad did the level need to be for someone to call it that?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games aimed at kids should have special protections. This has nothing to do with their other online problems.
it absolutely does, if the comment is something like bad level then there's no reason it should be reported or taken action against, there's definitely a reason to have good moderation but it's looking like it's taken to far.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids aren't encouraged by criticism.. adults thinking they need toughening up are usually projecting something from when they were young.
It isn't about toughening up, it about being oblivious to the need to improve. Like the awful acts on talent shows, someone should have told them they aren't good long ago, maybe they would have improved.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it'll encourage them to get better. At some point kids need to learn trying isn't always enough.

It doesn't though. When you're a kid and you do something for fun only for a stranger to say it's shit, it doesn't encourage you to improve. It just bums you out and makes you less confident to post anything else.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it'll encourage them to get better. At some point kids need to learn trying isn't always enough.

Given the limited space. Pretty bad or any other similarly negative comment is taking space that could better be used to say something more useful about what could be improved. If you're going to take time to comment, you can take time to analyze what exactly you didn't like and make suggestions to improve that don't involve saying "pretty bad", "mediocre", or what have you. Otherwise, one person took time to try to make a level while another didn't spend any time to make a meaningful comment.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
At least they're moderating comment sections.... I guess.
Should've just disabled comments altogether.

Dagobert Duck

Oct 28, 2017
So i got an email that my comment got removed...

I wrote on an level which had a softlock inbetween, that "softblocking isnt good level desing..."

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At one side gaming is infamous for having toxic community, and the culture is so far gone no amount of rules can curb the cancer.

To me, Nintendo here is trying to avoid those seeds at all cost at inception. (Not like this "seed" is the culprit), and their reasoning is pretty sound. it's about setting up a precedent.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Honestly that comment is just an asshhole move. Don't really think much about the ban, if you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything. Especially if a lot of little kids play the game.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't about toughening up, it about being oblivious to the need to improve. Like the awful acts on talent shows, someone should have told them they aren't good long ago, maybe they would have improved.
That's the terrible non-personal criticism, which people on the internet believe, is helpful, but it isn't. Helpful criticism always only works in person or is well worded, where you have a good understanding of the person or you go deep into into the work itself.
A Mario Maker post (or anything else short) will never be this deep or interpersonal, so it will never be helpful criticism.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't even that bad. Was it a great level by any means? Nah. But it was perfectly playable and not too hard.
Man people are so mean. I agree with the warning for leaving shitty comments tbh. I say this as a father of 3 who are obsessed with Mario Maker. Their wee faces light up when someone likes one of their levels. The levels aren't the most creative but if folks were putting comments like "this is bad" with no constructive criticism, what purpose is a comment like that serving?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would never write something negative in a game like this. Chances are high a kid made it.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is constantly frustrated by rampant online negativity, I'm perfectly ok with Nintendo's policy here.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in a writing community, and I think the issue with this type of comment is that it isnt actually helpful. Just saying bad level doesnt help anybody. So if you explained why you think it's bad or needs improvement would probably be ok.i dont know this as a fact, but that would be my guess

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I was told not to come back to an art class because I went up to a random kid and said their drawing was terrible. If I didn't dunk on that kid then how are they supposed to improve? Completely ridiculous.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
If the comment was simply "bad level" without any explanation, this was imo basically a driveby post. Driveby posts are frowned upon in this forum as well and are (after some warnings) reason for a banning here as well.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in a writing community, and I think the issue with this type of comment is that it isnt actually helpful. Just saying bad level doesnt help anybody. So if you explained why you think it's bad or needs improvement would probably be ok.i dont know this as a fact, but that would be my guess
I was gonna post something similar, I read fanfictions and god I don't know how most of them can still write with the amount of negative drive by comments thrown at their face.