• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So, this has been getting some traction in the spanish community. DSymphony is a Nintendo-centric YouTuber that obviously regularly uploads Nintendo games, and after a recent stream, this happened:

If you can't read Spanish, he wrote "pretty bad" on a level. Nintendo later warned him that this was considered "psychologically assaulting other users" in the service and that this could result in a ban if he did it again. What was the level in question? Well, this masterpiece:

Hopefully they'll sort this out quickly, since they've handled these sort of things quickly in the past. Still funny though.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Nintendo specifically states that you aren't allowed to leave negative comments in the tos, I doubt this is enforceable

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So, this has been getting some traction in the spanish community. DSymphony is a Nintendo-centric YouTuber that obviously regularly uploads Nintendo games, and after a recent stream, this happened:

If you can't read Spanish, he wrote "pretty bad" on a level. Nintendo later warned him that this was considered "psychologically assaulting other users" in the service and that this could result in a ban if he did it again. What was the level in question? Well, this masterpiece:

Hopefully they'll sort this out quickly, since they've handled these sort of things quickly in the past. Still funny though.

another likely case of the comment being reported by people (as a joke) or the creator (parent if the kid made it?) which lead to it being taken down with that warning. no reasonable human being mod person would make that call.

Is this widespread or just a single person getting a message from a mod for a single stage?
obviously an isolated incident.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I can't tell what that's supposed to be
but I imagine this is so little children don't wake up very sad to negative comments

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
So based on the level it looks like it was made by a literal child. How about we not leave bad comments whatsoever on whats obviously a childs level. No adult in their right mind would think it was anything but... Well besides the dumb ass on twitter.

Why leave bad comments at all. Boo the level and move on.
Honestly this. Leave good feedback if you must. Im not saying they should ban people for saying something is mediocre but damn what half-assed kiinda comment is that? Be helpful not a shitlord.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I once was banned from Miiverse and forced to change my account description because I said "feel free to add me!" in said description.

Apparently saying that, on my profile that folks would have to go out of their way to read, was solicitation and against their ToS. I can't say I'm surprised this happened.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Constructive criticism is good, but just outright negativity isn't.

I'm all for trying to reduce negativity, there is an overabundance of it everywhere.

Tidus9000

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm going to have to side with Nintendo on this one. Sure it's not abusive to call a level mediocre but MM2 is clearly meant to be a game for all ages to share their creations. You wouldn't call a 3 year old's drawing of a dog terrible when you know they've put effort in to a scrawl on paper. Same applies here, Mario Maker isn't the place to comment with critique, it's for encouragement and enjoying the game.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Don't leave negative comments in an "E" rated game that kids play. That absolutely looks like a level that could have been made by a small child. It's not some ridiculous kaizo level or something.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Nintendo shouldn't let people comment on levels? People saying it's a game for all ages, why let people say what they want to kids? They could say anything. Nintendo should just let you pick fromt he pre-approved stickers and leave it at that.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Maybe Nintendo shouldn't let people comment on levels? People saying it's a game for all ages, why let people say what they want to kids? They could say anything. Nintendo should just let you pick fromt he pre-approved stickers and leave it at that.
Because they can't say what they want to kids, based on what the topics about??? There is a proper way to leave feedback thats both positive and constructive.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo knows the age of each of their users so maybe disable the comment section of levels made by small kids?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say without more context, but knowing the very bare minimum, I can say if im a kid or someone who plays casually and uploaded a level i spent a lot of time on only to have someone downvote it as 'mediocre' i'd be pretty turned off at minimum. A comment saying a level is mediocre with no context of explanation is pretty much a reddit downvote where you'd post something you think is non controversial and innocuous only to come back a couple of hours later to see negative karma because a bunch of people was offended by it.

I think the expectation that you can be as negative as you want on-line is not reasonable in a curated environment. It's also why Nintendo gave up on Miiverse the moderation costs wasnt worth the effort.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo doesn't want negative comments then disable all comments.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
But how will I extend my crucially important regime as very-critical-level-reviewer if I cannot write "poop" on a 9 year olds level?

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ERA just realized that Nintendo makes games for little kids...

As badly as we would all like to think SMM is for speedrunners and YouTubers it's for young kids to make levels like this with their favorite characters. That's why it didn't have proper online play as well. It will always have the same kind of moderation Club Penguin did where anything that might hurt a little kid's feelings will be struck.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they give you a warning before banning you, I'm fine with it. Maybe just don't go on little kids levels just to call it mediocre, leave some constructive feedback instead.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Rather than leaving a comment like mediocre, it might be good to suggest ideas to improve?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they give you a warming before banning you, I'm fine with it. Maybe just don't go on little kids levels just to call it mediocre, leave some constructive feedback instead.

This is pretty much where I'm at lol. Just leave good/constructive feedback.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
This happened to me too (also Spanish btw).
I wrote some comments on "cheap deaths aren't fun" in places like softlocks on purpose or doors leaving to pits. Then I got the mail like the one in the OP.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
What's this nice comments only shit? I tell my kids their drawings are crap all the time, it's character building.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
What's this nice comments only shit? I tell my kids their drawings are crap all the time, it's character building.
Is one of your kids named Calvin?
latest

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I mean, they also banned the streamer "dumbdog" (who makes great great levels) because of his name, Nintendo is pretty damn strict sometimes