• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Leaving that comment is being an ass so I approve the ban.

This game is also for kids.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
"pretty bad" = "psychologically assaulting other users".

Psychological assault?? How do these people exist in this world? If this be the case, don't allow comments at all, because unless you're singing flowers and sunshine, you're gone. This is laughable.
it's not, but you have to understand that there are literal children playing this game. Going up to a little kid and saying their masterpiece is "pretty bad" is even more laughable
the easy solution is to not post negative comments and just boo like other posters said

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
ERA just realized that Nintendo makes games for little kids...

As badly as we would all like to think SMM is for speedrunners and YouTubers it's for young kids to make levels like this with their favorite characters. That's why it didn't have proper online play as well. It will always have the same kind of moderation Club Penguin did where anything that might hurt a little kid's feelings will be struck.
If that's the case why even have a comment feature at all

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
"pretty bad" = "psychologically assaulting other users".

Psychological assault?? How do these people exist in this world? If this be the case, don't allow comments at all, because unless you're singing flowers and sunshine, you're gone. This is laughable.

They don't. Seeing as how these systems are set up, that's one of many many options and is just the nearest descriptor of the grievance. Doesn't mean it might have been a lighter offense than "psychological assault", or, if you read the text, it also describes it as potential harassment.

If that's the case why even have a comment feature at all

For everything else? Comment threads without people being mean, antagonistic or negative do exist you know.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Also if you've been around children you'll know they say way worse things to each other at school.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
People need to realize that parent contact Nintendo constantly about the smallest shit. The y have to respond. Parent hold Nintendo to a different standard than Sony or MS.

Feb 20, 2019
Some people here don't realize how a kid could potentially have his day ruined because of this comment. It didn't even give him tips. If I had a comment like this on my level while being 8 I wouldn't touch my switch for a day

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Maybe I'm lost here. I'm all for wanting to offer constructive criticism but how can you do that? Isn't there no way you can message the person to do that or even add them with a friend code? How are you supposed to be in contact with them? There must be a character limit on the comments, too. Drive by negative stuff is worthless, yes, but there's also no way I can think of on Switch where you could actually try to offer them some pointers.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
So...why not disable comments for kids altogether? Why risk exposing them to any sort of negative or inappropriate content?

I understand removing shitty comments, but something as tame as 'level is mediocre' or 'level is bad' is silly.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
"Good job. I really liked your level. That was fun. "
I think you're missing my point. If you have user comments on anything user created you're probably going to have people leave critical comments. If you don't want to have children even potentially exposed to a critical comment why not disable comments for people under 18.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
If you're not offering constructive criticism, what's the point of telling a kid their level is bad? Who does that help?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not offering constructive criticism, what's the point of telling a kid their level is bad? Who does that help?
Like, hell, even if it were directed to an adult person, there's no reason to be this negative or antagonistic. You don't know who's on the receiving end of this.
It's just trolling.

YesNoMaybeSo

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2019
PA, USA
it's not, but you have to understand that there are literal children playing this game. Going up to a little kid and saying their masterpiece is "pretty bad" is even more laughable
the easy solution is to not post negative comments and just boo like other posters said

If you're affording the ability to make commentary, you are also affording the ability to be offensive using it. Why offer such expression and mandate half of it unacceptable? The solution is simply to have an up button or nothing else, because frankly I don't see much of a distinction between booing something and stating pretty bad. Why are both not offensive?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The most "negative" thing I leave are comments pointing out dev star/skips. Other than only positive vibes from me.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
If you're affording the ability to make commentary, you are also affording the ability to be offensive using it. Why offer such expression and mandate half of it unacceptable? The solution is simply to have an up button or nothing else, because frankly I don't see much of a distinction between booing something and stating pretty bad. Why are both not offensive?

One cannot see "boos" while comments are clear as day and public for view.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I agree with that, "boo" button shouldn't be there.

But I don't know if creators see the "boos" or is just a curating thing for the player.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
tenor.gif

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a couple warnings for posting negative stuff a while back. Basically, I would play Normal Endless and write snarky comments on the shitty levels that pissed me off.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
If you're affording the ability to make commentary, you are also affording the ability to be offensive using it. Why offer such expression and mandate half of it unacceptable?
What? Every service rules out certain speech, like this very website for instance. It doesn't follow at all that if you allow people to comment that you shouldn't decide what to allow or disallow.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
ERA just realized that Nintendo makes games for little kids...

As badly as we would all like to think SMM is for speedrunners and YouTubers it's for young kids to make levels like this with their favorite characters. That's why it didn't have proper online play as well. It will always have the same kind of moderation Club Penguin did where anything that might hurt a little kid's feelings will be struck.

Ding ding ding.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
For the folks dying to leave a negative comment on a 9 year olds level just use the Nintendo approved form of shit posting.

tumblr_puwz58PZtZ1rrftcdo2_500.jpg

The only people I see leaving comments on those super basic levels are youtubers/ twitch streamers doing endless runs on easy.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm curious why people see terse text criticism as potentially damaging for a young kid's ego, but getting the level boo'd to oblivion with no explanation is being discussed flippantly as if it is a harmless gesture.

YesNoMaybeSo

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2019
PA, USA
What? Every service rules out certain speech, like this very website for instance. It doesn't follow at all that if you allow people to comment that you shouldn't decide what to allow or disallow.
Of course, but services usually make a note specifying what types of speech are allowed and what aren't. Is this clarified in Nintendo's ToU? I don't think many people would classify saying "pretty bad" as offensive, and it's not at all akin to racism, hate speech, etc. It strikes me as entirely vague and arbitrarily enforced the way Nintendo's doing it.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure all the 20-something speed runner kaizo masters will appreciate your candor.

Or you could be/probably are just being an unnecessary asshole to a kid.

Right? I don't know what's funnier, people's incessant need to be an asshole online (in MM of all things) or their impression that the majority of people that play MM are in their 20's and lackluster levels should be nonexistent.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everytime we have a Nintendo does something silly with its online features, we get the "think of the children" crew that come in to defend them, as if sony/ms havent already solved this problem years ago. Children are not a valid excuse for banning people over innocuous comments like the one in question.

I'm curious why people see terse text criticism as potentially damaging for a young kid's ego, but getting the level boo'd to oblivion with no explanation is being discussed flippantly as if it is a harmless gesture.
Let alone Nintendo deleting their levels and not allowing it to be played at all in rotation until someone manually searches for it. The kid excuse is just a defense mechanism for Nintendo, that's it.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Can you disable comments in Mario Maker levels? If my kid was playing that game, honestly i would not want him/her to read comments. Positive or Negative. I dont trust internet.

and yes, "pretty bad" in a kid's level is asshole.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
You sound like the reason this system was put into place.
But that's jumping into conclusion. First, i dont even play the game so there is no proof to that. Second, negativity term is very broad, when i say i dont like that product, it is already a negative comment. Besides, are you forcing me to say "i like it" while i actually dont like it? To me, that doesnt sound like opnion, but more like dictatorship in term or consumerism

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
You don't need to express your really important opinion every single time. The world can and will survive without your opinions. Sometimes, just let things go is the best thing to do. Specially at a environment full of kids and pre-teens.

Nintendo is very concervative when it comes to the way community related content works in their games and I can totally understand their point of view in this case.

You have the "boo" button, use it. What else do you wanna say about a kids level in a Mario game that you just can't hold yourself?