• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first piece in Mama Robotnik's Sega Obscura ResetEra Series:

Sega Obscura 1 - The Sega Saturn was the best console EVER for…
Sega Obscura 2 - Sonic 1 (8-bit) is a better game than Sonic 1 (16-bit)
Sega Obscura 3 - The first "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" released hates Sonic, and hates us all
Sega Obscura 4 - The Eleven SEGA "Zeldas"
Sega Obscura 5 - The extraordinary Sega game that played the player
Sega Obscura 6 - The ambitious Sonic game from 2009 that you will never, ever get to play
Sega Obscura 7 - When Sega took on Zelda, they really went for the jugular
Sega Obscura 8 - The most consistent sequence of fuckups in the entirety of the history of video games

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sega Saturn.

iWSair7.jpg

That lovable, awkward, brilliant, catastrophe of a console, devastatingly mismanaged by its creator. It lacked the affordability of the Master System, the boldness of the Game Gear, the popularity of the Mega Drive/Genesis, and the focus of the Dreamcast. The design was flawed and expensive, development was a nightmare and the launch was a debacle.

It's best selling title was a paltry number of NFL units, which lasted until the Sony PlayStation and Nintendo 64 graced the Saturn's market in the same way that M Bison graces villages on Tuesdays.

Despite all of these limitations, the Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER in particular measures. We're going to celebrate these small, arbitrary, selective victories here today, in a way that Sega never has.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… multitap multiplayer

If you had the controllers and the multitaps, the Sega Saturn offered something that – to this day – is unheard of.

Ten player simultaneous gaming on a single console, in one room, on one TV.

gmWK1S1.gif

Saturn Bomberman is the best incarnation of the franchise. It is supported by a range of modes, characters and arenas. (The single player story-mode, driven by lunatic anime cut scenes, is also an absolute winner). Ten player explosive fun on old-fashioned wired controllers.

NKB04sY.gif

Guardian Heroes offered six-player 2D battles with a range of combatants. Activating debug mode enabled all 50-something NPCs as selectable characters, ranging from peasants to Gods. As the single-player game had multiple narrative pathways with multiple possible final boss encounters, the multiplayer allows all six final bosses (and more) to fight it out in a chaotic battle of magical explosions and laser spells.

S9jaaU3.gif

Death Tank Zwei is a deceptive-looking game. Beneath its simple, functional graphics lies one of the greatest party games of all time. It's Worms in real time, with an economy, multiple options for movement, and surprise mode changes (Blitz Mode!). Rounds can last seconds, and games are played with dozens of rounds in sequence. Seven players, one screen, explosions and jump-jets, nukes and hover-coils, shields and homing-missiles – the game is frantic but the players are offered an enormous choice of tactics.

For console local multiplayer for over four players, these three games are an uncontested triad, and are only together in one place.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… demo discs

The Saturn didn't have many demo discs. But some were extraordinarily notable.

E4em9T9.jpg

This was the best Demo Disk Ever – the complete first disk of Panzer Dragoon Saga. I got twenty hours of fantastic gameplay from this disc, it had so much more content than most gamers anticipated.

r5TyyRC.jpg

Christmas NiGHTS. A special edition of Sonic Team's amazing NiGHTS into Dreams containing an enormous environment that transformed depending on the Sega Saturn's internal calendar. Load the game at Christmas, Winter, New Year, April Fools Day, and in other seasons to have a different experience, in which the title-screen, music, character models, graphics and weather effects all varied.

This was supported by an unlockables system which introduced new features upon completion, including Sonic into Dreams:

jYcqKaH.gif

A free 3D Sonic game played out in the NiGHTS engine including its own Doctor Robotnik boss (complete with a lovely Sonic CD Final Fever remix).

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… violent shouting violent advertising

In the west, the Saturn's adverts were unremarkable. In Japan however, something wonderful happened:

3yi6yeO.gif

Segata Sanshiro, superhuman martial artist, was the Saturn's ambassador. He threw his enemies so hard they exploded, and he shouted at children commanding them to play the Sega Saturn. Violence and shouting and more violence, juxtaposed very occasionally with bits of footage from the games.

Segata could not exist beyond the life of the Sega Saturn. In the run-up to the Dreamcast's launch, a commercial was commissioned that would be the end of the Sanshiro legend. As a fiendish competitor launched a missile towards Sega HQ, Sega Sanshiro threw himself in its path, guiding the missile into orbit. A safe distance from the planet, the missile exploded, killing the Saturn's hero, and allowing its successor to live. All of our amazing experiences with the Dreamcast, were paid for in Sanshiro's blood.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… playing Quake and Duke Nukem 3D on 32-bit (shame about DOOM though)

No one ever ported Quake to the PlayStation. It was a killer app notably absent on the dominant console.

Lobotomy Software, the gods of Saturn FPS development, were able to get the game running incredibly well on the inferior 3D hardware, even adding in features missing from the PC release such as real-time coloured lighting. Some of the Saturn-exclusive levels were also impressive, including an ambitious arena mode, in which the QuakeGuy could summon enemies to fight each other in a best-of-three sequence.

Duke Nukem 3D was a masterpiece on the Saturn, not only bettering the PlayStation release in stability – but also bettering the efforts of the mighty Nintendo 64. The release was completely uncensored, and thanks to Lobotomy's skills with the hardware, also contained the updated real-time coloured lighting update.

DOOM unfortunately was a disaster, ported by the wrong team who had been forbidden from using the Saturn's architecture properly by iD – a decision they now regret in hindsight.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… 5th Generation 2D and isometric

When the fifth generation happened, the world went crazy for 3D. 2D was not cool, and did not sell. While the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 were made for the 3D world, the Sega Saturn was not – and while some developers did 3D wonders with the Saturn's limited architecture, it was 2D where the real magic happened. The genres and styles of the Mega Drive/Genesis continued to evolve on the Saturn, and they were often weird and wonderful:

OpAx6LA.gif
5jLYpzP.gif

UbZ7Qzg.gif
VqC32gN.gif

3xEqGyE.gif
dVtQ7Pf.gif

The Saturn was a powerhouse of 2D and isometric games in an era that shunned them: Fighters, platformers, strategy, RPG, action adventure, puzzle, sports, point-and-click, and more. An extraordinary library.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… the best official magazine

The Official Sega Saturn Magazine was the best video game magazine ever.

There were a few reasons. It was really well written. It was often very funny. It did unique features ("Street Fighter vs. X-Men, what would REALLY happen" – "Zangief is just pissing in the wind [against Juggernaut]").

But what was really cool, were their constant subversions of what you would expect from an official product. They constantly alluded to importing, to modifying the Saturn to play 60hz, and made much reference to titles that would never make it to the west. As the situation became increasingly bleak for the Saturn userbase, Sega Saturn Magazine did all it could to keep spirits up, from giving the readers everything they knew about the rumoured Dreamcast, and as mentioned earlier, the best two demo-discs in the world. It felt that, while Sega wasn't on our side, Sega Saturn Magazine was. Never had an official magazine had to do so much for its fans, with so little.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… Sonic special stages

Sonic 3D Blast. A spin-off that some liked and some disliked. Its 16-bit release did some interesting isometric tricks with the Mega Drive/Genesis hardware, but wasn't particularly notable.

Sega were desperate for a cheap Sonic game on the Saturn. They commissioned Traveller's Tales to port Sonic 3D to the console, with improvements to its visuals and music. But then, Sega had an idea.

The Special Stages. On 16-bit, these special stages were an unmemorable run-across-a-bridge minigame. For 32-bit, Sega tasked Sonic Team to make a brand-new Special Stage that pushed the Saturn.

kinPUJA.gif

What we got was spectacular. It is a reimagining of the Sonic 2 approach, massively expanded in ambition. There are tunnels through buildings, secondary routes through the skies, rises and declines, asteroids and clouds. It is fast, it looks amazing, it has the greatest special stage music that ever was, and is unbelievably fun to play.

No future re-release of Sonic 3D contained these amazing Special Stages – and either reverted to the 16-bit bridge model or a strange PC-release hybrid stage. All Sonic Special Stages, before and since, paled in comparison to the one type exclusively available on the Sega Saturn.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… Being uncrackable

The Sega Saturn took twenty years to crack. For a console this is remarkable.

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… unique, un-re-released software

zkDwqJ3.gif

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Shining the Holy Ark - Shining Wisdom - Shining Force III - The Legend of Thor/Oasis - Fighters Megamix - Sonic into Dreams - Sonic Jam - Dark Savior - Keio Flying Squadron II - Saturn Bomberman - Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Albert Odyssey : Legend of Eldean - Astal - Magic Knight Rayearth - Deep Fear - Shinobi X/Legions - Burning Rangers - Grandia: Digital Museum - Lunacy/Torico - Iron Storm - Clockwork Knight 1/2 - Last Gladiators Pinball - Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari – Mystaria

These range from transcendent classics of their genres to unique curiosities. Each and every one of them has never been re-released on modern formats, or made available through virtual-console services. They are trapped in the past, a fate totally unbefitting such a unique and often astonishing library of games. And that takes us to…

The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… Being completely mismanaged.

The poor Sega Saturn. It was never going to set the world on fire, with the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 each bringing astonishing new experiences. But it had its own strengths, as a 2D powerhouse and as a 3D machine full of surprises. It had a great library of exclusives. It had built in memory for saves, an expandable 4MB cartridge slot, the option for ten-player local multiplayer, and some absolutely fantastic control pads.

Every decision Sega could have made, they made wrong. No console was better at being so catastrophically mismanaged as the poor, wonderful Sega Saturn.

Acknowledgement: Off-screen Death Tank footage from this YouTube channel

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that comes close is another failed system, the Wii U. Lots of 5 player+ on a single system games there.

Sep 28, 2018
Panzer Dragoon Saga is a masterclass in world building.
Shining Force 3 remains my favourite tactical RPG of all time.

I have a lot of nostalgia for that console...

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think I love this topic.

On one fateful day, I became a Sega fan for life. Prior to the Saturn, I had only played Genesis at my friend's places. Totally liked it, but not as much as the big N. So anyway, I had saved up my baby sitting money for a brand new video game console. My intention was to buy a PlayStation and Street Fighter Alpha 2 as that was the game in the arcade I was sinking so much time and money into. At Toys R Us that day, they happened to be sold out of copies of the game for the psone. However, they had it for the Sega Saturn, which also came bundled with Daytona , Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Cop. My gaming life and tastes would never be the same.

Last edited:

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Saturn was my first console ever! It was a hand me down from my brother. Unfortunately, we only had a handful of games, and they weren't the best. Virtua Fighter 2 was awesome though, as was Clockwork Knight.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Great write up! I chose Saturn over PS1 and I loved my black slab... It had my favourite FPS of all time on it...

sega-saturn-exhumed.jpg

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that that Panzer Dragoon Saga demo disc never came out in North America. I saw it at a store that imported UK magazines but I imagine the disc was still region locked. I bought the full game anyway.

But yeah, the Saturn was awesome.

It was also arguably the best console of its era for classic re-releases. The Playstation was also strong in that regard but it didn't have Sega stuff like Out Run, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force, Fantasy Zone, etc..

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
The Saturn is easily in the top 3 consoles of all time for me. Unmatched library, stellar controller, and great third party support. I wish we in the US had gotten the expansion carts and games that went with it. Playing XvSF for the first time at home and having it (super) close to arcade perfect was like a dream.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The Sega Saturn was the BEST CONSOLE EVER for… unique, un-re-released software

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Shining the Holy Ark - Shining Wisdom - Shining Force III - The Legend of Thor/Oasis - Fighters Megamix - Christmas NiGHTS - Sonic Jam - Dark Savior - Keio Flying Squadron II - Saturn Bomberman - Die Hard Arcade - Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Albert Odyssey : Legend of Eldean - Astal - Magic Knight Rayearth - Deep Fear - Shinobi X/Legions - Burning Rangers - Grandia: Digital Museum - Lunacy/Torico - Iron Storm - Clockwork Knight 1/2 - Last Gladiators Pinball - Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari – Mystaria

These range from transcendent classics of their genres to unique curiosities. Each and every one of them has never been re-released on modern formats, or made available through virtual-console services. They are trapped in the past, a fate totally unbefitting such a unique and often astonishing library of games. And that takes us to…
Die Hard Arcade got a PS2 port (and later, PS2 Classics via PS3)!

...just, y'know. Only in Japan.

But yeah, I think I'd say Saturn's probably my favorite console ever.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Another great thing about the Saturn: while its approach to 3D was pretty limited and inflexible in a lot of cases, the 3D that it could do was free of the sorts of perspective-distortion effects common to a lot of PS1 games. I can go into more detail about why if people are curious but overall it's a pretty simple explanation.

The Sega Saturn to this day still has the best controller for 2D gaming.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I love the Saturn, but I also kinda hate it because technically speaking it's the system that killed SEGA.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
Saturn has a special place in my heart. I was 18 when it came out and was the first console I purchased with my own money.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I still got this little gem complete and in perfect condition. Never going to let it go.... maybe

51Xf4ajL2hL.jpg

a19lxdvim4ty.gif

i1u480gtyity.gif

33788.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Love the Saturn been trying to collect for it for years but games are expensive

It deserved better but sega messed it up bad. Wish I had been an adult during its prime. I can't imagine the ride of being a Saturn fan before it became apparent it was done for in mid 97

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I'm still in the process of rebuying a saturn (I actually already got a few games).

I love "failed" consoles, mostly because for the possibility of actually discovering genuine gems that are in danger of being completely forgotten by gaming history.

Thanks a lot for this thread. I love that you included the Sonic 3D Saturn special stage as it's so fucking good (to this day, only Mania came close to being close, and it doesn't even beat the music and the raw excitement the saturn special stages gave me, although I love that it tries to replicate the aesthetic)

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Great thread.

However, Guardian Heroes had a remaster for the 360 (also BC on X1) that allowed 12 characters at once in the MP mode - without the memory restrictions preventing certain mixups.
The catch is there was only 4 player local.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
The Saturn is the only retro console I actively collect. There are better retro consoles and libraries of course, but it's my sentimental fave.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Collecting Saturn stuff in the late 90's was a ball. Kids would go into EB with these giant collections and they'd get insulting offers because no one wanted a Saturn so you could offer them a slight bit more, meet them out back and get the goods for what is still a ridiculous price. KB loved Saturn stuff and even had some of the rare ass games, and eventually they'd be marked down to almost nothing. I feasted on selling US Saturn stuff for the early 2000's, it was basically my summer job at the end of high school and most of college.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's honestly pretty nuts how much Saturn collecting spiked in the last 5-6 years. I got a complete US copy of Megaman X4 for $40 back in 2012. Goes for $120+ today.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly pretty nuts how much Saturn collecting spiked in the last 5-6 years. I got a complete US copy of Megaman X4 for $40 back in 2012. Goes for $120+ today.

The high end lunacy was there pretty much by 2000. It's the other stuff that's been creeping up as everything becomes hard to find and new collectors try to make their way in.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I really need to get my hands on Dragon Force

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Great write up OP. I adore the Saturn. I still have one plugged into my TV and ready to go at all times.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to figure out how to get my hands on Dragon Force

Cash money. That's how you do any of this. People will sell if you've got the dough. You just need to find the weirdo with an extra copy or someone getting out of the game because they need the money/space/to keep a spouse happy.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Collecting Saturn stuff in the late 90's was a ball. Kids would go into EB with these giant collections and they'd get insulting offers because no one wanted a Saturn so you could offer them a slight bit more, meet them out back and get the goods for what is still a ridiculous price. KB loved Saturn stuff and even had some of the rare ass games, and eventually they'd be marked down to almost nothing. I feasted on selling US Saturn stuff for the early 2000's, it was basically my summer job at the end of high school and most of college.

Yes. Collecting was a blast for me in the late 90's early 2000's. Fist time I went to Japan (probably in 03') I was in collector heaven. Went to so many used game/book stores and zoned in specifically on Saturn games. God that was so awesome.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Collecting was a blast for me in the late 90's early 2000's. Fist time I went to Japan (probably in 03') I was in collector heaven. Went to so many used game/book stores and zoned in specifically on Saturn games. God that was so awesome.

In Japan it was crazy. Remember almost all of those games with tiny print runs in the US and Europe? Every used store in Japan had tons of them. Still did for like a decade after.

Thing is Japanese copies just won't do for some western collectors even on games with almost no text at all. They want the PAL/US version or nothing. I exchanged most of what I cared for with JPN versions for a few bucks and sold my own hard earned copies for big bucks.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Been replaying Panzer Dragoon: Zwei on my Saturn recently and yeah, the console is still fantastic. It was well worth the money getting a ODE for the machine to replace the failing drive.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
All day, every day. Daaayyyyyytonaaaaaa
My favorite part about Saturn Daytona (The first release, anyway) is that while it's not the best port from a technical perspective (that draw distance lol), from a game mechanics/controls perspective, it was probably the most accurate version until the HD ports. I learned how to properly gear shift in the arcade version thanks to years of practice in the Saturn version.

Oct 26, 2017
Best non analogue controller, especially for fighting games.

saturn-original-controller-control-pad-2g-hss0101-weiss-sega.jpg

The Saturn was sadly doomed from the start, between Sega being, well, Sega and Sony just getting it so right it never stood a chance, but it still had a fantastic library of games if you fancied something a little more alternative.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
I have fond memories of playing Sega Rally with my step dad trying to beat each others times.

What a console.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also best use of an American flag in a Japanese RPG illustration to date :

O8NGwBO.jpg

What I really love about the Sega Saturn is that it comes from an alternate future, an alternate version of the second part of the 90s were the 3D fizzles out and the 2D stays relevant...

Like the PC Engine, I love that console maybe more for what it represents (the apogee of 80/90s Japanese blend of anime/gaming pop-culture) than for the hardware itself.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
After I binge through my 90's computer nostalgia, this is my next leap through nostalgia town (just finished a SNES and gameboy trip this last year).

Though if I'm being honest, I'll probably just play Dragon Force for a month straight. To this day, I'm still not sure if this or Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I knew what happened to my old Saturn. It got lost in a move when I was younger. But I vividly remember my parents getting it from the clearance section at toys r us and it coming with a huge selection of games.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
I loved the feeling of pressing open the panel that you put the CDs in on the Saturn. Coming from genesis and being able to own NiGHTS And Sonic R was so great as a kid. Loved the presentation of this system and only Dreamcast and PS2 beat it in that regard

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It was really the best fighting game console ever, if you count all the ports there was (and there was none before with arcade quality) and the pad.