• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
How about a compromise, higher education starting next year and going forward is free. But everyone that has student loans right now has to still pay them. Wouldnt that be fair?

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fear that student debt forgiveness will be a political loser. It's all fun and good to laugh at this guy but Warren and Sanders better make damn sure public sentiment* is on their side on this issue before touting it in the general.

*By public sentiment I'm talking about more than ERA posters and people that live on Twitter.

Widespread SFL is a ruse, but I do think we'll see meaningful reform in the next 10 years. Interest caps, interest payable caps - things that work in conjunction with Obama's efforts.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I fear that student debt forgiveness will be a political loser. It's all fun and good to laugh at this guy but Warren and Sanders better make damn sure public sentiment* is on their side on this issue before touting it in the general.

*By public sentiment I'm talking about more than ERA posters and people that live on Twitter.

It all kind of goes hand and hand. In order for M4A to be a success we will need to alleviate the cost of education for healthcare professionals and we need to make re-education free for the millions of people who will lose their jobs due to implementing M4A. In addition, Congress will need to address general educational spending and costs of at least public universities.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017

Totally agree. It's easy to sit on a forum and postulate how this is "for the greater good" while ignoring that real people had real struggles to pay for college only for someone to come along and just say "you struggled for nothing" it's a huge slap in the face.

Hell, if I knew someone would come a long and wipe all college debt I for damn sure know I wouldn't have gone to a generic-ass state school and instead gone to someplace nicer.

Oct 29, 2017
Private school debt is included. Warren isn't wiping out all student debt tho. There's a ceiling of $50k of debt. But she's the only who's going to do this via executive action via Dept. of Education regs.

If you have student loans, you can input numbers and info into this calculator to see how much of your debt would be canceled.
Just to
Private school debt is included. Warren isn't wiping out all student debt tho. There's a ceiling of $50k of debt. But she's the only who's going to do this via executive action via Dept. of Education regs.

If you have student loans, you can input numbers and info into this calculator to see how much of your debt would be canceled.
to clarify, I meant private loans, not loans for private school. How much would Bernie wipe out?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Free College starting tomorrow. Everyone keeps their student loan debt.

Deal.

Will be opposed by people who just finished college but it seems like the vast majority of them are only thinking about the good of the nation and not "F you got mine" so I'm sure it won't be a problem. Because nobody wants loan debt wiped out for personal gain, it seems.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How about a compromise, higher education starting next year and going forward is free. But everyone that has student loans right now has to still pay them. Wouldnt that be fair?

I am currently still paying my loans off and I would still be okay with this. A more educated, less indebted population will be better for all.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
fucking me fam. jesus 2008 was a baaaad year to graduate.

It was. I graduated in Dec 2006, but I was super lucky because:
1. I was hired before the recession hit
2. I'm a software engineer
3. I work at a company that very rarely has lay offs

We took a 5% pay cut and didn't have raises for 2 years. It triggered me so hard finding out what new grads made in 2011, basically 20% more than I did at a lower level.

But I had a job and relatively well paying one.

And again, I'm not arguing against subsidized college, but arguing also for assisting low income recently burdened by college debt. Throwing those people under the bus screams "fuck you got mine".

Oct 27, 2017
"Former slave angry at Lincoln over Emancipation Proclamation. Was heard saying: 'I waited for decades for a chance to use the Underground railroad, but this man wants to free everyone just like that? How is that fair?!"

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can the Secretary of Education, at the direction of the President, not outright cancel all federal student debt themsevles?

That way it can avoid the assholes in Congress.

If student load debt isn't forgiven across the board the economy is going to crash.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just to

to clarify, I meant private loans, not loans for private school. How much would Bernie wipe out?

Her Higher Education Bill (which needs to go through Congress) would include private loans in cancelling student debt.

Her promise to cancel student debt through executive action is for federal student loans, since that's what the Dept of Education has authority to cancel.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
okay fine. Prepare to them take on all of the costs to ensure that those who didn't get the benefits you did also get them. You think things have always been the way are today and this is the first move to change something? You are the product of a lot of privilege compared to those before you.
I mean, this is demonstrably untrue. My parents didn't pay anywhere near as much to attend university as I did, and they didn't work nights and weekends to pay their way like I did. My parents and their era received grants rather than loans, which did not need to be paid back. Things have been getting progressively worse for students for a long time - even in the UK, where loans are nowhere near as life-destroying as they are in the US.

Even my wife, who's only four years younger than I am, would have paid nearly three times what I did to attend university if she hadn't received a bursary for doing a medical qualification. University tuition in England (not the UK, because this doesn't apply to Scotland) is now around £9,000 per year, with living expenses on top. And then most students get loans on top of that.

So no. I'm not at all privileged compared to the people before me. Quite the opposite. Things are bad right now. And I recognise that. I'd hope everyone does. But if my children attended university, avoided buying a house in order to pay back their loans, and then their peers had their loans forgiven anyway, I'd struggle to see that as fair. Hell, I'd struggle to see it as fair if they were the recipients of the forgiveness programme and their friends were the ones who scrimped and saved. Because it's not fair.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Of course he deserves empathy. He's not evil, he's upset. He could be a MAGA fuckwad and he still deserves education and empathy. He's just as entitled to forgiveness as anyone.

Also, widespread student loan forgiveness is way different than your examples (e.g. food stamps). To conflate the two feels completely wrong.

Oh, I empathize and my bleeding heart covers all sorts, but as I said I do not empathise with anything he said in that ridiculous diatribe.

And no, it's virtually the same. He used the literal same indicators to rail against "the other" that is used in those other examples. He's psyching up the right-aligned of this debate who would love it if we didn't enact anything.
"I was personally responsible and paid but now you want to give X free stuff while I get nothing except higher taxes and condemnation!"

Same shit, different topic.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My struggles and suffering are more important than the struggles and suffering of future generations.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
For reference

EIj65DgU0AAXkqy.jpg

the example would be better represented if the people the trolley ran over were still alive, but none of their medical bills were paid for, but the people that lived, they get their medical bills paid for

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
Look if you didn't pay off your debt but instead invested in other things then that is wrong and you would still have to.cough up the money out of your current capital. The loan debt forgiveness should apply to those that are not able to pay back anything. Or better yet just everything over a certain reasonable amount. I don't even mind if it is based on the income earned after hitting the job market. It will.never be a 100 % fair.. but it can be balanced somewhat and is highly needed.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017

Why wouldn't the same asshole complain that he should be paid back money he already paid for education? There is no social benefit that can't be argued against this same way. It's a proscription against anyone "having it easier" than you did.

kingslunk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Look I paid back like $90k in student loans. I don't want it back and I want everyone who still might be in debt to be debt free. I refuse to fall subject to the fuck you got mine mentality.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Why wouldn't the same asshole complain that he should be paid back money he already paid for education? There is no social benefit that can't be argued against this same way. It's a proscription against anyone "having it easier" than you did.

I think the difference is in the expectation of paying a loan back. People taking out loans and getting forgiveness is one thing, letting people going forward not have to take out loans is another thing entirely. I could be wrong, though, you could very well be right that the same guy would try to argue against it.

To that end, I don't even think something like cancelling all interest would draw the ire of those who already paid.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The dude didn't even do the right thing? Surely the right thing in the US is for the student to pay off their own loans in an incredibly broken system. He was wealthy enough to do a nice thing for his daughter. He had the means to operate outside of the broken system so it's not the right thing. His daughter's still in a better spot than most, especially the people debt forgiveness policies would help.

Basically fuck the selfish dick.

Oct 27, 2017
Look if you didn't pay off your debt but instead invested in other things then that is wrong and you would still have to.cough up the money out of your current capital. The loan debt forgiveness should apply to those that are not able to pay back anything. Or better yet just everything over a certain reasonable amount. I don't even mind if it is based on the income earned after hitting the job market. It will.never be a 100 % fair.. but it can be balanced somewhat and is highly needed.
Why was that strawman brought into this? People that can pay their loans without hardship aren't trying to get their debt forgiven. It's the regular people that went to school to get out of poverty or to make a better life for themselves who are now drowning in debt because there aren't enough jobs with high enough salaries to make repayment of the school debt reasonable. Everything in this country is setup to give the appearance of the ability to move up the ladder, when the reality is if they let you go up a rung, it's because the ladder just got taller.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Why was that strawman brought into this? People that can pay their loans without hardship aren't trying to get their debt forgiven. It's the regular people that went to school to get out of poverty or to make a better life for themselves who are now drowning in debt because there aren't enough jobs with high enough salaries to make repayment of the school debt reasonable. Everything in this country is setup to give the appearance of the ability to move up the ladder, when the reality is if they let you go up a rung, it's because the ladder just got taller.

I might be mistaken but the Warren program we're talking about, while it does have an income factor, will forgive debt regardless of ability to pay it back.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Had a discussion regarding this on PoliEra with AndyD and he did provide an interesting perspective. While I still think that this is backward thinking and is kind of a "FYGM" attitude, there are cases where this will be unfair to people.

Person A: Decided to pay off their loans for the past 10 years and did not invest in anything else (house, car, etc). Just finished payments.
Person B: Decided to make the minimum payment for 10 years, invested remaining money in a house, car, and other avenues of wealth.

Loan forgiveness kicks in and person B comes off better. This is indeed biased against person A in terms of wealth equity. So I understand the bitterness. I still don't think it's valid, because loan forgiveness is necessary and is extremely important. And most of the people rallying it against it are FYGM boomers who went to school when it was dirt cheap. However, candidates will need to have a good answer towards these sorts of scenarios, either towards a cash bailout or tax credit.

These cases may come off as "collateral damage" but politically it would be bad to shrug them off. Of course the person that needs it most is Person C: Can only make minimum payments and still has no money left over (me, lmao).

Imagine being so painfully myopic that you can't even fathom the perspective of others.

Yes, student loan forgiveness is a good thing. That doesn't mean there aren't inherent challenges implementing it fairly.

What about the parents who remortgaged their home to pay for their childs college tuition?

What about the millennials who spent every extra cent they had to pay off their student loan debt instead of investing in a house when the market was still in a position for them to do so vs the millennial who didn't bother to pay off their student loans and invested in the housing market when they had a chance?

Or for that matter, the millenial parents still working to pay off their student debts who've relegated themselves to renting until they do, who now face the challenge of being in the same position savings wise as someone fresh out of college with no debt and no family expenses who is now going to make the housing market that much more competitive to get into?

Saying "welp, too bad!" if the equivalent of saying "fuck you, got mine" to a forgotten generation who missed out on the opportunity student loan forgiveness will provide and who will suffer financially the rest of their lives because of it.

These are the people we need to vote for the Dem candidate. We're not talking about boomers here. We're talking about people in their late 20's/30's/40's who've been facing the challenges student loans have placed on them, and are going to continue to face those challenges for the simple fact they were born too early.

Without considering viewpoints like these, student loan forgiveness is never gonna happen.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Policies like this will contribute to the problem of Americans generally not saving enough. It will teach people to spend more freely and hope for a bailout later. Of course the positives of the policy can still outweigh the negatives. Though personally I think student debt forgiveness should be somewhat limited in scope and targeted at the poor so that savers aren't fully punished.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Why as a parent you don't want to wish for your children to be better off is beyond me. (Speaking as a parent)

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I mean, I can see why he'd want his money back, who wouldn't want more money? It's the desire to make everyone else struggle that's shitty.

Personally, I'd love student loan forgiveness for me, but that's probably not the right move since it's such a huge advantage and obviously contentious. I think you could still help people by setting interest rates to zero and making income based repayment a requirement for instruments categorized as student loans. Cap it to something like 3% of taxable income, and make the term fixed. If you don't pay it all back, the balance is forgiven. People would still have some skin in the game but it wouldn't be awful like it is now

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Policies like this will contribute to the problem of Americans generally not saving enough. It will teach people to spend more freely and hope for a bailout later. Of course the positives of the policy can still outweigh the negatives. Though personally I think student debt forgiveness should be somewhat limited in scope and targeted at the poor so that savers aren't fully punished.

Super relevant and agreed. Minorities and first-generation college students should receive attention. Towards what you're talking about:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/18/opinion/student-debt-forgiveness-college-democrats.html

The highest-earning quarter of the population holds more than a third of all student debt, while the lowest-earning quarter holds only 12 percent, according to Baum and Lee. Which means that universal student debt cancellation would be a giant welfare program for the bourgeoisie.

Oct 25, 2017
No one has ever learned anything by having artificially debilitating loans thrown onto them especially when they should be more concerned about getting a decent education for a career they're going to need for the rest of their lives.

It's crazy that people still believe that debt is something a society should have.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Without considering viewpoints like these, student loan forgiveness is never gonna happen.

Agreed. I don't think that the people who have a problem with this all necessarily don't want loans to forgiven or school to be free in the future. They just want to be included, as well.

I can understand the viewpoint of the guy in the video. I'd be frustrated too, if I were in his shoes and I had worked double shifts and forgone vacations and luxuries while other people took out loans and made minimum payments and they come out ahead. I wouldn't be against forgiving loans or making college free, but I would be incredibly frustrated if the answer to "Will I get paid back?" was "of course not" while being laughed at. If loan forgiveness ever actually happens, they probably need to include people who have recently paid off loans, or have already paid a significant portion.

Yes, forgiving loans would lift a huge burden and making college free would be a great benefit for society. But it would be very frustrating to, as the guy in the video said, "do the right thing", and be left behind.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'm also down for a leave debt alone but make college free moving forward, but with the caveat that the loan forgiveness programs designed to help alleviate the burden from students that were taken advantage of by big for-profit colleges be expanded and also include privately held debt.

I keep getting told by student debt relief companies that they can help me, but when they look and see my loan was consolidated by Sallie Mae a long time ago and then passed onto Navient they say it's considered 100% private now and they can't help.

$21k i still owe on what was $28k in 2005. INSANE.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I don't think that the people who have a problem with this all necessarily don't want loans to forgiven or school to be free in the future. They just want to be included, as well.

I can understand the viewpoint of the guy in the video. I'd be frustrated too, if I were in his shoes and I had worked double shifts and forgone vacations and luxuries while other people took out loans and made minimum payments and they come out ahead. I wouldn't be against forgiving loans or making college free, but I would be incredibly frustrated if the answer to "Will I get paid back?" was "of course not" while being laughed at. If loan forgiveness ever actually happens, they probably need to include people who have recently paid off loans, or have already paid a significant portion.

Yes, forgiving loans would lift a huge burden and making college free would be a great benefit for society. But it would be very frustrating to, as the guy in the video said, "do the right thing", and be left behind.

Thank you for this post.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Folks, I realize the urge to mash the "ok boomer" reply is high but I'm pretty sure that is a gen-Xer

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Can't hear you. Too busy scribbling strawman trolley memes.
I had the same thought. He's probably in his forties. Def not a boomer.

Doesn't make it any less of a dick, but Boomers generally do not have kids in school anymore - they have grandkids in school.

Gen X interestingly always gets left out of this discussion as a generation that did not really do much for climate change or the wealth divide. I dunno... maybe they just got handed a shitty deal too, but for all the flack boomers (rightfully) get, Gen X is almost never mentioned.