• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
pretty convenient this was leaked 2 weeks before an election
Perhaps the staffers went for it without telling Warren and now she doesnt really know what to do? It seems like the topic of the conversation was uncomfortable to her and the post-debate scuffle with Bernie shows that she wasnt very happy with how things went.

Or maybe she didnt approve of it but shes trying to use it to recover herself in Iowa

or maybe she did approve of it but because she thought that was what he really said

I legit dont know

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
So she was fine handshaking and hugging Bernie all of these past 6 debates, but right when Bernie is polling better and just 3 weeks before Iowa primaries, she throws this debacle onto Bernie and refuses to handshake at end of this particular debate? She's playing all of you gullible voters.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I wrote it the short way first and you complained!

Yes, I know. But that's not how you deployed it here, that not being an apt description of the current situation (since we are talking about a single individual's moral choices rather than a coherent voting bloc), and so I pointed that out. Then you made me explain it at length! You're welcome!

I am not claiming that Bruenig is making a moral argument. I'm the one making the moral argument. That's usually how it goes, I find.

Yes. It is totally unrelated to the current discussion, but if you genuinely believe that no candidate but Bernie can win because Bernie supporters are too insane, of course you must vote for Bernie.

The person I was responding to in the first place was specifically kvetching about the Bernie bros staying home and not voting, I made the cheeky remark, and for some reason, you decided to weigh in on why you think Bruenig's cheeky little line fails, which is apparently that in a completely other branch of philosophy than the one it operates within, it has connotations that the original author of the line might not like.

I apologize if I'm misinterpreting or missing something, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just genuinely don't see what the moral culpability of a Bernie bro who stays home and doesn't vote has to do with the conversation that was being had, which is about utilitarian determinations of where to cast a vote in light of one's priors.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
So she was fine handshaking and hugging Bernie all of these past 6 debates, but right when Bernie is polling better and just 3 weeks before Iowa primaries, she throws this debacle onto Bernie and refuses to handshake at end of this particular debate? She's playing all of you gullible voters.

They shook hands at the beginning.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
2020 is about beating Trump

at this point. Joe Biden is the only one who's got a clear shot of winning and ending this Primary Season.

IMO, Joe should pick Kamala Harris as Veep when he wins the nomination and go hard after Donald Trump

Why? What does kamala Harris bring to the table? Biden probably has and had more black support than her and she's not viewed all that favorably in the first place. I'd actually be more turned off to Biden if he picked her. Other than one debate that got her some attention, she's performed horribly at selling herself as a president or VP imo.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about this. I'm voting for Bernie anyways. I like both candidates and hope one of them gets the nom.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps the staffers went for it without telling Warren and now she doesnt really know what to do? It seems like the topic of the conversation was uncomfortable to her and the post-debate scuffle with Bernie shows that she wasnt very happy with how things went.

Or maybe she didnt approve of it but shes trying to use it to recover herself in Iowa

or maybe she did approve of it but because she thought that was what he really said

I legit dont know
all these things are possible.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Honestly it just seems like another miscalculation from Warren. Obviously she's gotta pull out something before the first primary but only the most Extremely Online give a shit about this. If you're going to call him a sexist you should have gone for the rape essay instead. This may be the worst move since someone called a press conference to announce they were 0.25% native american.
The fuck is the rape essay? And how have I not heard about it? How have I missed something referred to as the rape essay? This is wild

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Warren voted in Trump' military budget
She stood and clap during Trump's State of the Union
Warren dodges questions about paying M4A and starting to rollback on eliminating private insurance.

But hey, Bernie's the bad guy because of the one thing he said.

Hillary Clinton lead a lie about Bernie and people fell for it

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
EOS7oj_XsAAMFpv

Seems like she changed her mind about wanting to discuss it

the moment all of Chapo showed up was an Avengers Endgame level crossover

I was legit worried that Alex was gonna puke everywhere

Because criticism of Bernie is generally downplayed or outright deflected and criticism of other candidates is amplified and doubled down on.
Congratulations on finding the one person who hasn't heard of """""""the rape essay""""""""""

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if what she is claiming is true...she faking being not-irritated at him for a year and a half...
She is irritated at his denial that he said something she heard him say, and probably also annoyed that now it's her responsibility to betray her own ears and pretend that he didn't say it. This went down in the the past couple of days. Not the past year and a half.

Someone leaked this account of Bernie saying a woman can't win in 2020 to the press on the eve of the debate to start shit. Most of y'all are convinced it's the Warren campaign. Not so. There were four people who talked to CNN about this story. Two of them never spoke to Warren directly and relayed second-hand, third-hand? accounts. Two of them were people who talked with Warren directly about the meeting. But this was before Warren formed her campaign. A lot of people whom she would have been consulting with when deciding not to run are not going to be part of her actual campaign. Also, key people have also come and long gone from her campaign. So there's a huge pool of people running around with this info/gossip.

Because there's been talk for a while about what was said at the 2018 meeting between Sanders and Warren, and one line of talk was that Sanders was pressing Warren hard not to run. Noise of Bernie trying to convince Warren not to run in 2020 bubbles up to the public once in a while like here: https://twitter.com/mlcalderone/sta...bed/eowg3z?responsive=true&is_nightmode=false

This meeting has been on the political gossip circuit for over a year now. Journalists have been hearing rumors about all kinds of things both of them said, yet CNN chose the night before their debate (psst ratings) to publish this story? Hmmm. I wonder why.

I love Bernie. I've got into disagreements on this forum with people who wanted him to stop running after his heart attack or tried to blame him for Hillary's defeat. I'm happy and continue to be happy that he's still in this primary. It's not his fault and not his burden in any way that Hillary lost. Sometimes Benrie says things. We all do. Is it so impossible that - in the passion of their talk - when he's trying to convince Warren to not run, he would've blurted out a woman can't win in 2020? I'm sorry, but saying awkward shit about gender and race (even if his heart is 99% in the right place) is peak Bernie. I believe Warren.

Jan 29, 2018
It seems to me that Bernie could've expressed doubts that a woman could win without being a misogynist because he - like me - was broken by 2016 and genuinely fearful that the electorate would let us down again.

At this point I almost don't care who gets the nomination. This election needs to be a rebuke of Trump.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I think Bernie said it. And he lied about it later. I think Warren and her camp tried to use it as a political tool. And people acting like she's above all that that have their heads in the sands same as people who think Bernie is incapable of lying.

All in all a waste of our time. Only serves to get each other's fanbase angry.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warren voted in Trump' military budget
She stood and clap during Trump's State of the Union
Warren dodges questions about paying M4A and starting to rollback on eliminating private insurance.

But hey, Bernie's the bad guy because of the one thing he said.

Hillary Clinton lead a lie about Bernie and people fell for it
Candidate I don't like did bad things. Candidate I stan for is awesome. Hi, I'm a post from 2016 and I've learned absolutely nothing.

Is this y'alls first primary? I seriously can't imagine anyone who lived through the last election as a voter falling for this shit again.

And this is the part where someone counters with "but Bernie voted for the crime bill" or some other nonsense.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Candidate I don't like did bad things. Candidate I stan for is awesome. Hi, I'm a post from 2016 and I've learned absolutely nothing.

Is this y'alls first primary? I seriously can't imagine anyone who lived through the last election as a voter falling for this shit again.

And this is the part where someone counters with "but Bernie voted for the crime bill" or some other nonsense.

Have I ever hated on Warren? I pointed out her flaws but CNN made this a big deal and getting exactly what they want instead of focusing the possibility of another war.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that Bernie could've expressed doubts that a woman could win without being a misogynist because he - like me - was broken by 2016 and genuinely fearful that the electorate would let us down again.

At this point I almost don't care who gets the nomination. This election needs to be a rebuke of Trump.
What better rebuke is there than a push-up contest? Let's go!

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe Bernie said it, this Warren has lied or embellished. I'll sill vote for Warren if she's the nom.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Why? What does kamala Harris bring to the table? Biden probably has and had more black support than her and she's not viewed all that favorably in the first place. I'd actually be more turned off to Biden if he picked her. Other than one debate that got her some attention, she's performed horribly at selling herself as a president or VP imo.
I actually like Harris and was rooting for her first.

Nov 17, 2017
lol yeah her acting is shit

Yeah, I don't understand what she's surprised about. Was she not aware that Sanders denied saying that already? How could she not have been? Like, no one expected him to say "yes, I said that" at the debate, right? So why is she surprised?

Because of that, it kind of just makes it come off as acting. I don't really get the people saying "her face tells its all" as if someone making a facial expression is any kind of proof.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Tired of all the in fighting. So far we hadn't had to deal with 2016 type bullshit. I still like both of them. I do think Warren is being led astray tho, by some advisors. I feel like this is ultimately to try and get the progressive vote split and hope that they don't ever join back together during the primary.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I think Bernie said it. And he lied about it later. I think Warren and her camp tried to use it as a political tool. And people acting like she's above all that that have their heads in the sands same as people who think Bernie is incapable of lying.

All in all a waste of our time. Only serves to get each other's fanbase angry.
Spot on.

knew this stupid shit would blow up the second i saw it live last night.

Let's save this energy for things really worth getting worked up about. Like health care, climate change, fair wages for workers, education.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Except that was an honest mistake on Warren's part, which she owned up and profusely apologized for. Bernie doubled down and called Warren a liar. Quite the difference.
an "honest mistake" doesn't last for decades

1996: Spokesperson Chmura identifies Warren as a native American professor in the Harvard Crimson.

1997: In the Fordham Law Review, Chmura touts Warren as Harvard Law's "first woman of color."

1998: Chmura, in a letter to the New York Times, stated that the law school had appointed "eight women, including a Native American." Three days later, the Crimson reiterated that "Harvard Law School has only one tenured minority woman, Gottlieb Professor Elizabeth Warren, who is Native American."

1999: Harvard begins publishing its affirmative action plan on its website and lists a single Native American professor.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...cord_straight_on_elizabeth_warren_140678.html

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It's really interesting seeing people call Warren a liar here. The cult around Sanders has his supporters straight up looking Trumpian.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol you really believe that horseshit?

What, are we going for right wing propaganda now? If you have a decent source claiming she deliberately misled the public, I'm all ears. Everything I've read suggests she was repeating something she had been told & believed herself.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
an "honest mistake" doesn't last for decades

1996: Spokesperson Chmura identifies Warren as a native American professor in the Harvard Crimson.

1997: In the Fordham Law Review, Chmura touts Warren as Harvard Law's "first woman of color."

1998: Chmura, in a letter to the New York Times, stated that the law school had appointed "eight women, including a Native American." Three days later, the Crimson reiterated that "Harvard Law School has only one tenured minority woman, Gottlieb Professor Elizabeth Warren, who is Native American."

1999: Harvard begins publishing its affirmative action plan on its website and lists a single Native American professor.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...cord_straight_on_elizabeth_warren_140678.html
When you lay it out like this it's completely disqualifying. Lying about your race is one of the sleaziest things a White person can do.

Aya

I follow US politics but I don't live in the states so I really have no bias toward one possible democratic nominee or another. My only hope is that the democratic party wins the White House in November and hopefully a comfortable majority in Congress. Anyway, my point is this, and it's a universal scenario for behind the scene games in politics - this story resurfacing now and creating an apparent rift between Warren and Sanders, with all the media spotlight on that, should make one wonder why now... Back then, seems like it generated some murmur but it was shelfed and saved for later use. And secondly, who's it really helping in the longer run? And the likelier suspects should become more apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.