• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
How the hell do y'all keep topping the dumbest battles imaginable with these two holy shit I didn't think it could get worse this week but here we are again.

Yeah, I don't get it. Warren and Sanders both seem like legitimately principled, sincere people, who actually care about economic injustice, particularly when compared to most politicians. Even this incident, which probably involves some flubbing of the facts/context of the real conversation by both camps and which does seem a little desperate, is nothing compared to the absurd levels of ratfuckery many campaigns engage in during the weeks leading up to an election. (Remember when the Bush campaign had operatives calling voters in South Carolina to spread rumors that McCain had a secret half-black child?)

I have no clue what's going on in the video. It's not even clear to me whether Warren refused the handshake or if she just launched into conversation without realizing Bernie's hand was out. It's also not at all clear if Bernie's gesticulations at the end are angry or just normal animated Sanderisms. Who knows what the disagreement was even about. Maybe they were still trying to figure out if 1990 technically qualifies as "in the last 30 years."

It's all so petty in the grand scheme of things.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your ego is irrelevant.

Do your civic duty snd your fiduciary duty as a participant in this experience we call civilization.

Fucking hell why does everyone think that their vote is about themselves and not the country/humanity in general.
Privilege. Must be nice to be able to withhold a vote if the outcome doesn't affect you personally either way.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
From my perspective, it seemed that there was at least a tacit agreement between the 2 candidates that they wouldn't go after each other until the bigger issues (re: Biden/Bloomberg/Steyer) were out of the running, or at least, that seemed to be the procedure Sanders was running on. Sam is right, who ever is advising her to or not stopping her from attack Sanders is super silly. Everyone who has ever seriously looked at Bernie's record has seen he has supported and encouraged women's leadership for decades, but Warren is saying nah, ignore all of that, only ever interpret one contextless blind characterization of something he said. I also agree with Sam that her reponding to trumps dumb taunts with a ancestry dna test was stupid.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both Sanders and Warren are handling this situation poorly. Both appear dishonest for the sake of what..? Being right?

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Democratic Party: play stupid games...win stupid prizes.

Get back to policy. Stop getting distracted by these dumb divide and conquer tactics that play to base emotions.

We all know what actually happened: Bernie probably voiced his honest good-faith opinion in a private conversation that a woman might have trouble getting elected given the issues with sexism in the current political climate with a shitheel like Trump just getting elected in the prior election. He's said many times on the record that he believes a woman can lead as well as any man can.

The Democratic electorate loves to get wrapped up in these melodrama s devoid of all nuance yet full of hyperbole.
That sounds too plausible. I think he's a virulent misogynist, actually.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Both Sanders and Warren are handling this situation poorly. Both appear dishonest for the sake of what..? Being right?
Sanders is doing nothing that "appears dishonest." Flatly denying the statement and offering an enthusiastic explanation for why women have won and can win is a pretty nice cherry on top of a lifetime of advocating for women in leadership. You should think about who has the most to gain from this story being true in the first place.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Sucks this is getting to this point. I'm not a big Elizabeth Warren fan at all, especially after the bullshit she's pulled with claiming Native American heritage... but If Bernie said this then that's awful. I just honestly don't know who or what to believe.
What is awful about what he allegedly said?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That's not weird, it's being smart. She values his friendship and was likely waiting until the very end to unleash it once Biden was gone, or not use it if she felt it went below the belt. Bernie has no such compunctions about holding back against his own allies.
We don't give a damn about her emails.

Bernie is the most ruthless candidate in alternative universe 2016

Oct 26, 2017
This shit is so fucking depressing. Warren was my #2, but at this point now it's absolutely Bernie or bust. I'm all in. Will not support her (or her as a "surprise" VP pick for Biden) in the general.

I don't think the dems can win without Bernie's passionate base. So basically, great, DNC just gave us 4 more years of Trump again.
This is dumb.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
From my perspective, it seemed that there was at least a tacit agreement between the 2 candidates that they wouldn't go after each other until the bigger issues (re: Biden/Bloomberg/Steyer) were out of the running, or at least, that seemed to be the procedure Sanders was running on. Sam is right, who ever is advising her to or not stopping her from attack Sanders is super silly. Everyone who has ever seriously looked at Bernie's record has seen he has supported and encouraged women's leadership for decades, but Warren is saying nah, ignore all of that, only ever interpret one contextless blind characterization of something he said.

I mean again, Warren is not exactly lighting up the polls anymore like she once was. It's clearly an all chips on the table move by saying Bernie Sanders is sexist. I hope it doesn't work but we'll see.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably one of the more depressing nights of my life. I hadn't felt hopeful about politics since Obama's initial campaign and victory. But now this shit is truly destructive and revealing of the depth of the rot within the establishment of the Democratic Party.
If you're sincere about that then I'd suggest taking a break from politics for awhile. Really.

This isn't some establishment thing, progressives are more than willing to fight amongst themselves. It will be moved on from in time and in the big picture this incident is ultimately small potatoes.

Refusing to do everything you can to make sure Trump and Republicans lose is not, however. That includes voting. The future of our democracy literally depends on the upcoming election.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He hasn't said anything specific yet but it sure sounds like he thought it was a tense exchange

Tom Steyer on the shakegate on CNN:

"I felt like, OK, there's something going on here. Good night, I'm out of here. It was one of those awkward moments where I felt like, OK, I need to move on as fast as possible."

Demonstrating the steely resolve and leadership the kind of which the world needs in the Oval.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I do love the defense force for Bernie. It's not like he endorsed someone who made highly misogynistic comments or got caught lying twice in the past 2 weeks alone.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a primary, who cares, Trump won the nomination by being a bratty little child that soaked up all the spotlight. Bernie and Warren fighting is exactly what Bernie and Warren fans should be happy to see. They're sucking the air from Biden like how Trump sucked the air from Jeb! Bush. There are too many people that pull the level based on little more than "hey, that's a name I've seen before, I guess I'm voting for them."

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no world where Warren thought starting this attack would slingshot her to first place from her current position in the polls.

Warren's road to success was always finding the middle ground between progressives and centrists.

With this attack she has abandoned her progressive credibility, eliminating her chances at a #1 spot, and so it's clearly a last ditch attempt to knock Bernie from his surge in the polls and secure herself either VP or some other cabinet position with Biden.

This was calculated and purposeful, especially with the timing.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sanders is doing nothing that "appears dishonest." Flatly denying the statement and offering an enthusiastic explanation for why women have won and can win is a pretty nice cherry on top of a lifetime of advocating for women in leadership. You should think about who has the most to gain from this story being true in the first place.

Certainly a lot of people are seeing him as the 'dishonest one'. Had he reacted better it would've never reached this point.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Both Bernie and Warren would make great primary candidates.

giphy.gif

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I do love the defense force for Bernie. It's not like he endorsed someone who made highly misogynistic comments or got caught lying twice in the past 2 weeks alone.

And her three-card Monty horseshit on her life story and stated policies is not a red flag for you? And believing Bernie here is somehow the ridiculous thing?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because a low blow is a heel fucking move, and this cockamamie ploy makes her look terrible.
Or, alternate scenario, maybe, just maybe, this was leaked out by a random ass staffer that heard the story from someone who heard the story from someone else who heard the story from Warren and Warren had nothing to do with it. She then confirms it happened. Then Bernie adamantly denies which ratchets up the tension.

Or many many other alternate scenario's including Sanders said something that he didn't realize came off as "I don't think a woman can win the Presidency" and Warren read it as such, causing a mutual misunderstanding.

Oct 27, 2017
This shit is so fucking depressing. Warren was my #2, but at this point now it's absolutely Bernie or bust. I'm all in. Will not support her (or her as a "surprise" VP pick for Biden) in the general.

I don't think the dems can win without Bernie's passionate base. So basically, great, DNC just gave us 4 more years of Trump again.
You're as bad as a Trump voter. Even worse if you're white.... privilege at its finest.

This mindset is just fucking gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.