• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
SEE THREADMARK FOR AUDIO AND TRANSCRIPT OF THE EXCHANGE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) did not shake hands following the conclusion of a tense Democratic primary debate in De Moines, Iowa Tuesday night.

In the video above, Warren can be seen moving toward Sanders. But the Massachusetts senator pulls her hand back when Sanders extends his.

During a tense segment of the debate, the two senators were both confronted by questions on whether Sanders told Warren he believed a woman could not win the presidency at a private dinner in 2018. Following a CNN report regarding that dinner, Sanders vehemently denied making the comment. Warren eventually backed the CNN reporting, accusing Sanders of the sexist comment in a statement.
"Well, as a matter of fact, I didn't say it," Sanders said when asked at CNN's debate. "And I don't want to waste a whole lot of time on this, because this is what Donald Trump and maybe some of the media want. Anybody who knows me knows that it's incomprehensible that I would think that a woman cannot be president of the United States."

When CNN's moderator turned to Warren, she stood by her statement, and made a forceful case for a woman winning the presidency.

Last edited:

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the first time I've wanted Tom Steyer to weigh in on anything at all.

Also, Warren is a liar and I didn't think she was dumb enough to pull this.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Refusing the handshake seems like a bit of a stretch by the reporter (this is a very common stance/hand holding by Warren as far as I remember). But otherwise...yeah that seems like a disagreement right there.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
EOS8239UEAAz896.png

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
This is really just one persons word against the other

we can't claim to know who the actual liar is.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Since the start of the campaigns, Warren has been saying Sanders is her partner in crime, her closest friend in the Senate, her compatriot in pursuing meaningful change. Warren went from that to refusing to shake Sanders' hand over an issue that apparently happened over a year ago. It took less than two days of news cycle. Is the mere fact that an issue she'd apparently dismissed a year ago now becoming public forcing her to react a certain way? Or is this a planned effort?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only things I can make out from the clip are really obvious - Bernie is surprised by what she initially said or maybe just didn't hear it ("What?") and then at one point motions back and forth between them and says "You and me".

Anybody who actually knows how to lip read want to weigh in?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
This was always going to happen sooner or later. They can't both be the democratic nominee. It's a shame it has to be such a bitter breakup though.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and people will probably talk more about this than the possible assassination attempt on a us ambassador for the next few hours.

smh

shake my hand

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The only things I can make out from the clip are really obvious - Bernie is surprised by what she initially said or maybe just didn't hear it ("What?") and then at one point motions back and forth between them and says "You and me".

Anybody who actually knows how to lip read want to weigh in?

This was probably some benign "we need to talk later in private" or some shit.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Liz was 100% in the right to refuse the handshake. Bernie and his campaign have handled this horribly.

I believe Warren.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warren and her campaign have handled this terribly, going to lead to her dropping out unfortunately.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Literally the first time I've wanted Tom Steyer to weigh in on anything at all.

Also, Warren is a liar and I didn't think she was dumb enough to pull this.

Yeah, that was kind of unprofessional, IMO.

What Bernie said was bad, but she could've handled it better. Hillary had handled her loss in an unprofessional matter back in 2016 as well after the election.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
In the past few weeks, we've had
Bernie walk back his promise to release his full post heart attack evaluation.
Bernie say the anti-warren pamphlet was not him yet it went out to two states suggesting it came from staff involved at a high level in his national campaign
Bernie supporting Cenk then walking back the endorsement because Cenk wanted Bernie not to suffer in optics from him rather than because Bernie doesn't support his misogyny
Bernie lying about suggesting a woman can't beat Trump.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously you believe the man. It's absurd, after all, that a man would ever question a woman's ability to lead. That would imply that the patriarchal system is inherently sexist or something.

👀

The disputed conversation's three sides are that Bernie either told Warren a woman can't win, told Warren it would be difficult for a woman to win because of sexism, or didn't tell her a woman couldn't win at all. Nobody, even Warren's team, said that Bernie "questioned a woman's ability to lead", and he's been saying for decades that a woman can be president, and he pushed her to run in 2015.

That's why nobody knows what's going on!

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Obviously you believe the man. It's absurd, after all, that a man would ever question a woman's ability to lead. That would imply that the patriarchal system is inherently sexist or something.

👀
Isnt that a bit disingenuous? They both know that men are very capable of doing that, and this isnt about those men. This is about Bernie.

The questions worth asking are whether you genuinely believe that Bernie thinks a woman cant win the presidency, and whether Warren thinks that Bernie thinks that.

If Warren's only point was "look I know Bernie doesnt *actually* think that, but I do recall him saying it" then this is, indeed, a fucking terrible thing to be talking about.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
If one of them starts losing most of the primaries, I just hope that they have sense to bow out quickly and gracefully.

Oct 25, 2017
We're one 86 year old's death away from abortion being banned, voting rights being rolled back, and progressive reform being dead in the water. Who the fuck cares about this.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
oh boy....looks like Biden is going to get it for sure then.

The Warren and Sanders camp are about to enter a civil war just as planned by the corporate media.

Billionaires: "You fell for it."

Status
Not open for further replies.