• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Rudy Gay has also been a relative recent success story and he blew out his Achilles at the same age as KD

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
He can still be good, top 15 player in the league. But he's top 1-2 right now and I'm not sure he'll reach that point again.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Look what happened to Kobe..dude was never the same after he tore his Achilles

Most aren't close to the same. Wilkins is notable because he put up better numbers the two years post injury than the two prior. The next best example is probably Wes Matthews. His athleticism and production slipped a bit, but he still played about 34 minutes per game while playing the majority of games the two seasons after the injury.

This is Bo Jackson levels of sadness.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Some of the best doctors in the world cleared this nigga to play when it was obvious he wasn't gonna be ready. Fucking trash.

The Warriors failed him. No way he should've been out there, especially on the eve of free agency. That team don't give a fuck about him.

People were rightfully calling this out before:

Kevin Durant injury is achilles related. Look at how low that ice bag is. Expect a rupture of his achilles tendon soon. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor but I took contemporary health

Heads gotta roll. Kerr already distancing himself from the decision making and knowledge of Durant's progress, meaning we're talking top brass here that knew it wasn't no goddamn calf strain, and even if it was, no way that "it couldn't get any worse".

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Taken from the NBA finals thread.
I remember Marino describe it like a curtain getting pulled and shooting up quickly. That was..... pretty graphic. Hope he comes back strong.

I wonder how this effects him mentally? I know he has a one year option at 31.5 but he's got to feel torn on so many levels. Where's his faith in management vs his friendships/relationships with the players and Kerr? He could easily just bolt and get the max from any number of teams and just start over but rehabbing for a year in a completely new environment might be weird.

After listening to podcasts with him he's a different kind of dude. His manager/business partner in sure will play a big part in his decision.

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This dude seriously went out there to risk it all to an organization that has repeatedly threw shade at him with jokes of how he hadn't earned the contract and then all the way with Draymond telling him he was a bitch that they didn't need to win. He went down early in the game too, there's no way he shouldve been out there. Even if the dubs lost, his legacy would remain in tact as the series would've shown they did need him to win. Goddammit I wanted him killing it in the east so bad

Also Yasuke you could start using nibba instead

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, what horrible news to wake up to :((( This is one of the worst injuries too, I feel terrible for him. Hope he's able to take the time needed to rest this time.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
How much of this injury is on the team? Injured and going out to play the finals for a team most assume you're leaving? Now he has to deal with a significantly worse injury, career changing injury.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the top tier list of NBA players has not been great with injuries the past few years. KD tearing an Achilles like Boogie did, Kawhi's issues whatever they were, AD's constant injury problems, Steph's ankle issues, it's kinda insane to think how long LeBron has been doing it and avoided all this. Probably because he manages himself more than the team manages him, and that should be the moral of what I'm trying to say, KD should have been managing himself and blocking the noise. It's a fucking shame this happened, especially with his free agency coming up. Hope the dude comes back and is still productive.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Look what happened to Kobe..dude was never the same after he tore his Achilles
Kobe already had too many injuries by the time he tore his achilles.

And he was much older.

Durant could come back and be Durant (he also may not) but he is going to lose at least a year of his prime. You don't get that back. Thats what really sucks for the guy. That and that he got hurt when he was trying to 3peat.

I still think a lot of questions have to be asked for Golden States doctors. If this was something that was preventable then they definitely betrayed KD. On the other hand its possible that their doctors did everything right and its a tragedy too, but I am always super skeptical of sports doctors. They are bum ass bums in general who seem to be fans and puppets of the owners more than they are independent doctors.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
What is going on with star players with ruptured Achilles. John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and now KD have all had the course of their careers altered by this in the span of season. The last one was Kobe and before that it had been a while since a star got hit with an Achilles tear. Crazy

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is it painful? Because he didn't look like he was ever in any pain while on the court. Or does he just have a high pain threshold?
It's one of the most painful injuries usually. Having said that, I've seen some of my buddies on the ground crying after tearing their ACL's and I've seen others walk it off. I think each injury is a case-by-case event.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
This 100% validated everything Kawhi did with the Spurs. Fuck team doctors. Only come back if you feel ready.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What is going on with star players with ruptured Achilles. John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and now KD have all had the course of their careers altered by this in the span of season. The last one was Kobe and before that it had been a while since a star got hit with an Achilles tear. Crazy
KD's could have been avoided had he just sat out the rest of the Finals.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This 100% validated everything Kawhi did with the Spurs. Fuck team doctors. Only come back if you feel ready.
Yep. This injury will reverberate for decades. He was obviously not ready but macho sports culture of self sacrifice won out. No blaming KD, but the whole culture of "sacrifice" that is prevalent in pro sports.

KD loses out.

Fans lose out.

It's a lose lose. And the only consolation is to see stacked team 3 peat. Possibly. Big woop. Wasn't worth it.

Props to KL for standing his ground.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it painful? Because he didn't look like he was ever in any pain while on the court. Or does he just have a high pain threshold?

Yes, but not as much as you'd think in the moment. The worst sensation is the strange feeling that the back part of your leg, from your heel up through your calf, has just snapped. I heard it as much as I felt it, in the midst of a Texas Friday night football game, at that.

It's dreadful. Some of that might be shock, though.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just saw the video of his Achilles exploding.

Fuck.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing is so idiotic. It makes so angry.

He didn't see active play for a month! And they drop him in the intensity of the Finals in an elimination game? What the heck?!
Doesn't make any sense. How much money is KD worth to the Warriors with a potential career ending injury? These teams need some sort of risk/benefit analysis expert on payroll.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't make any sense. How much money is KD worth to the Warriors with a potential career ending injury? These teams need some sort of risk/benefit analysis expert on payroll.
That wouldn't help. It's all macho bullshit sports culture.

The Spurs are a class organization and we saw how they treated Kawhi.

That said, after this injury. We see way more trepidation. Especially with superstars.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heads need to roll for this shit

Meyers, the doctors, whoever else is culpable
Other than the lay person's common sense connecting the calf injury to this, is there medical reason to believe his return (edit: early return from the specific injury) significantly increased the chances of popping an Achilles tendon?

I'm asking honestly.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing is so idiotic. It makes so angry.

He didn't see active play for a month! And they drop him in the intensity of the Finals in an elimination game? What the heck?!

He was just cleared to practice on what, Sunday, one day before the game? I smelled the bullshit coming then.

I was confident we wouldn't see him again this season when he first went down. That's how boneheaded this seems to me now.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Warriors have to give him a full multi-year max for this.
No, they dont and they shouldn't. Its tragic, but it's also stupid to some extent on his part. He will still get a max deal, watch some team risk it (knicks), develop young players and then insert him for 2021. Evrn if turns into a stretch 4 with less dynamic movement he can "Dirk" it to 4 straight all star games still.

I'd assume his agent and his inner circle were all over him to only play if he felt it was safe to, he tied his own shoelaces. He also may be too sensitive to social media and felt pressured to play, whereas a Kawhi focused on his leg and not blowing up a quad tendon because some Twitter handles were complaining.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
He really shouldn't have played. I don't know if he was pressured to play or he wanted to but it doesn't look like he should have been cleared, without minutes restrictions. And it just proves Kawhi's point.

I remain angry and embarrassed by the fans in the arena who were cheering at first.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me think of Grant Hill playing on a bum ankle in the playoffs and never being the same. I really hope it's a completely unrelated injury to what happened in May, otherwise if the doctors cleared him to play he should file a lawsuit.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Other than the lay person's common sense connecting the calf injury to this, is there medical reason to believe his return significantly increased the chances of popping an Achilles tendon?

I'm asking honestly.
I think your first point is it. The weakness in the calf exposed the Achilles.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Heads need to roll for this shit

Meyers, the doctors, whoever else is culpable
The Player Association need to demand invesgation for this.

Hopefully Lebron/CP3 silence in twitter of this because theyre prepping concrete step to demand action.

GS FO is on fucking roll after Mark Stevens accident and this.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the lay person's common sense connecting the calf injury to this, is there medical reason to believe his return significantly increased the chances of popping an Achilles tendon?

I'm asking honestly.
I don't think it's even the Achilles it's just overcompensating causes issue. Like when OBJ played on a high ankle sprain for 5 weeks and then his ankle shattered.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The Player Association need to demand invesgation for this.

Hopefully Lebron/CP3 silence in twitter of this because theyre prepping concrete step to demand action.

GS FO is on fucking roll after Mark Stevens accident and this.
What's weird is that GS is seen as a very methodical organization when it comes to player health. But of late, they've been making tons of mistakes.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Feel terrible for him and can't imagine what he's thinking. Especially not knowing the circumstances of him playing, he probably his some understandably misdirected resentment. Dude already seemed bitter.