• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
We don't know if he was pressured or not. Maybe it was his decision. Maybe team doctors talked against it, we don'T know.

Sad to see him go like that.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's even the Achilles it's just overcompensating causes issue. Like when OBJ played on a high ankle sprain for 5 weeks and then his ankle shattered.
That's the assumption, yeah: overcompensation. But if an Achilles tear is a 0.1% likely event and his prior injury made him five times more likely, that's what I'm getting at: its still a very low chance.

It's why I'm curious just how badly the injury set him up for this. Achilles tears are awful but incredibly uncommon.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Am i right in that this type of Achilles injury is career ending in any sport? I always assumed you were done after this.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
He's not going to be the same after this and I am so fucking mad at the Warriors. Even more pissed off at the fans for cheering after the injury.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I know Toronto has some great people, but man that left a sour taste in my mouth. Especially that fucking asshole near the baseline waving bye. What a piece of shit. A teenager, I can understand doing that, but a grown man...fuck outta here.

Nah, I can understand a grown ass man doing that. Shitty people are shitty people.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't make any sense. How much money is KD worth to the Warriors with a potential career ending injury? These teams need some sort of risk/benefit analysis expert on payroll.

My guess is they ran this analysis. KD was leaving the team so he was worth basically nothing long term to them. Though if KD opts in to rehab a year on their dime, that would cost 30 plus million

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Going to take a long recovery for him to be back to where he was (no guarantee).

Hopefully he does it. One of the elite talents in the league and fun to watch.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
He shouldn't have been playing. That was clear even before he stepped into the court.

I thought maybe I was wrong when he came out firing in that first quarter, and those points ultimately saved the team from elimination this game, but they must have just pumped him full of pain killers and hoped for the best.

And for what - maybe another championship for a team that has already won a bunch of times? Whooopdee doo.

With him gone again GS's hopes now seem to rest on the Raptors choking for two more games.

A waste.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I'm pretty sure many of the fans that cheered regretted it afterwards.

It was a sudden "we got this" moment, but I want to believe the majority came to their senses.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its definitely career-altering. No NBA player has come back from this good as new, except maybe Domnique Wilkins who came back to average 30 PPG the next season.

They pushed it. Hope teams realize that the conditioning needed to play an NBA game is intense. He hasn't played in a month and his legs are like noodle. It takes time to get your strength back. They clearly ignored that.

They ruined his career. He's going to lose 1 whole year to rehab and even then he may not be 100%.
I'm the NBA, age 31 is literally peak. He's not getting any better at age 33 when he comes back.

KD's best days are behind him.

What GoldenState need to realize is this injury happened on a harmless play. Which means it would have happened either this game or the next.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Load management is going to be the treatment for all star players going forward. Top dogs will sit out like 25% of the season.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the assumption the injury is? It has to be a severe strain, right? I don't know people who can hobble around if it's a tear. If he tore it and was still walking around he is a bad bad motherfucker.

It has to be a strain, right?

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
So what's the assumption the injury is? It has to be a severe strain, right? I don't know people who can hobble around if it's a tear. If he tore it and was still walking around he is a bad bad motherfucker.

He had to be helped off the court, and he left with a boot and crutches, it's torn.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks. Hope he can bounce back. Who knows if he was pressured or he just really wanted to play? I can see a little bit of both. I don't think any player wants to miss the finals.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
Never trust team doctors. Always have an outside DR that only cares about looking out for number 1. Now those peeps trying to rush him to comeback will be the same calling him washed on Twitter. He needed to put himself 1st. Pretty gutted about what happened, he's a great talent and this shit usually fucks NBA careers.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah achilles injuries are super easy to spot when they happen. Watch the replay and you can see the tell tale pop up the leg. I'm not sure the original calf injury would have lead to an achilles tear like that, but I don't really understand the mechanics involved.

From what I keep seeing mentioned by doctors in coverage leading up to this, a weakened calf muscle puts you at a huge risk for blowing up your Achilles, which is exactly what happened.

I keep seeing people say GSW downplayed the initial injury, but given what happened I think they probably told the truth from the start.

Deeply irresponsible to let him play. I'm not a doctor, but doctors called this exact outcome. And it happened.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure many of the fans that cheered regretted it afterwards.

It was a sudden "we got this" moment, but I want to believe the majority came to their senses.

They did also clap for him after.

In the moment my (very) charitable reading on it was that they may not have realized how bad it was and it was somewhat of a "Hey look at the woos!" reaction at first to what sort of looked like just a rolled ankle. Most of the arena wouldn't be able to see him that well, so from the distance they're at it just would look like he sat down and they wouldn't have seen how bad the actual injury was until the replays on the jumbotron. I mean, still not great, but not like they knew his career may have just gotten a crushing blow in the moment.

As for the Warriors, some people have some 'splaining to do...

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the league steps in here and hires independent physicians that only answer on behalf of the players.

Oct 25, 2017
There's like no way he doesn't opt in now right? Even if he never plays a game for GSW again, the best call is to opt in.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks. Hope he can bounce back. Who knows if he was pressured or he just really wanted to play? I can see a little bit of both. I don't think any player wants to miss the finals.
Both, player that of that level wants to play in the finals and team staff and fan really wanted him to come back

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I said when KD got hurt earlier in the playoffs (but before we knew the injury) that if it was a torn Achilles it's one of the single most impactful injuries in the history of basketball. I don't think that's a stretch because of the impact to this year's playoffs, the Warriors dynasty, KD's career, and the looming summer.

It's just as true after last night, maybe even more so.

I'm fascinated by how this impacts his FA. Offering a guy a 4 year max, having him sit the first year of it, and then facing the prospect of hoping a 32-year old 7 footer coming off an Achilles injury can save your franchise is brutal. It's almost too perfect of a storyline for the Knicks - even when they don't play they're losing.

This also really changes the calculus of KD and another star going to play together somewhere else.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I said when KD got hurt earlier in the playoffs (but before we knew the injury) that if it was a torn Achilles it's one of the single most impactful injuries in the history of basketball. I don't think that's a stretch because of the impact to this year's playoffs, the Warriors dynasty, KD's career, and the looming summer.

It's just as true after last night, maybe even more so.

I'm fascinated by how this impacts his FA. Offering a guy a 4 year max, having him sit the first year of it, and then facing the prospect of hoping a 32-year old 7 footer coming off an Achilles injury can save your franchise is brutal. It's almost too perfect of a storyline for the Knicks - even when they don't play they're losing.

This also really changes the calculus of KD and another star going to play together somewhere else.

I think this makes Kyrie to the Lakers very likely

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think the warriors lied that this was a calf injury back when he first got hurt?

I wonder if someone is going to lose their job over this. He shouldn't have played tonight.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
KD has a $31.5 MILLION dollar PLAYER option next year. If he chooses to, and he should IMO, he can have his rehab payed for, and make $600,000 per week doing it. Honestly, I think the warriors are more screwed here than he is. He can come out of this looking good again, and them bad, and they are screwed in terms of salary cap next year...and then KD leaves 95% healthy the next year.

Yes, rehab sucks, but achilles repair is way way way better now than the past, most guys are coming back from it in under 12 months at high levels now. If he didn't have that player option, then I'd say he got screwed here, but GSW knowing that if that thing popped, was on the hook for 31.5 mil next year for a guy who won't play for them next year, or ever again, I'd have to think they thought he was really healthy enough to play.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Props to KD for wanting to come back early to help out his team. Says a lot about him.

Eff off to the raptor fans that were cheering when he got hurt. We don't need that in sports at all.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
KD has a $31.5 MILLION dollar PLAYER option next year. If he chooses to, and he should IMO, he can have his rehab payed for, and make $600,000 per week doing it. Honestly, I think the warriors are more screwed here than he is. He can come out of this looking good again, and them bad, and they are screwed in terms of salary cap next year...and then KD leaves 95% healthy the next year.

Yes, rehab sucks, but achilles repair is way way way better now than the past, most guys are coming back from it in under 12 months at high levels now. If he didn't have that player option, then I'd say he got screwed here, but GSW knowing that if that thing popped, was on the hook for 31.5 mil next year for a guy who won't play for them next year, or ever again, I'd have to think they thought he was really healthy enough to play.
I didn't know that.

That would be smart.

He could also sign a long term and also just rehab for all of next year.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Never trust team doctors. Always have an outside DR that only cares about looking out for number 1. Now those peeps trying to rush him to comeback will be the same calling him washed on Twitter. He needed to put himself 1st. Pretty gutted about what happened, he's a great talent and this shit usually fucks NBA careers.
That's just how fans are. Little fucks given what about the cost. KD should've been looking out for KD instead of trying to play on one leg.

Arguably the/was the best player in the nba and gave up his Achilles for 11 points, with his team down 3-1 in a series. Hope it was worth it to KD and the doctors who cleared him to play.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
The way Durant has been vilified lately, by himself and the media, also contributed to the fans reactions me thinks.

His first injury always looked like it was the Achilles, and even walking to the arena he looked off. He should never have played.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
KD has a $31.5 MILLION dollar PLAYER option next year. If he chooses to, and he should IMO, he can have his rehab payed for, and make $600,000 per week doing it.

I agree, he just risked his body and career for the team(and made a difference in an elimination game), now it's time for the team to give back to him. If Durant is out for all of next season, he should definitely exercise the player option.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Am i right in that this type of Achilles injury is career ending in any sport? I always assumed you were done after this.
99.9% of players are never the same after a ruptured achilles injury and KD is over 30. Don't expect to see the same KD we got to enjoy these last several years again.

KD gave into what appeared to be incredible pressure to play and did his best. His body simply provided a reality that pressure can't help to overcome.

Also, fuck those fake-ass tears coming from the Warriors GM and fuck those team doctors. Let's not pretend that team doctors aren't notorious for making close calls in favor of the interests of the team. I want to know what KD's personal doctor said to him.

The way Durant has been vilified lately, by himself and the media, also contributed to the fans reactions me thinks.

His first injury always looked like it was the Achilles, and even walking to the arena he looked off. He should never have played.

I don't think it was with the first injury. BUT the weakened calf muscle from the previous injury is clearly why he was injured again here. I talked about it when it happened because I had a similar calf injury. No way he should have played another game this year. I could barely job a month after my injury, to say nothing of starting, stopping, running and jumping constantly.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depends if someone is offering him multi year contact. He knows he won't be the same so if the offer is good he will take it

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't know that.

That would be smart.

He could also sign a long term and also just rehab for all of next year.

It's definitely a more plausible option if the injury is what we expect. There's more to it though - I'm not sure KD is any more likely to get a long-term deal next summer, after presumably sitting out a year of basketball activities and entering his age 32 season. Who knows what the FA market will be like next summer and who will have cap room after the moves this summer. Seems to me the priority has to be getting long-term money and KD's team has to do some calculus whether this summer or next summer is the best opportunity to do that.

I think the Warriors will offer him the full five year max - I'm not sure any other team will offer him the 4 year max this summer, just a crazy risk to take. That is a ton of incentive to stay in GS.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's a clip of the tear happening.

100% tear. They better pray its partial and not a full tear.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope he doesn't become the next D.Rose

It's worth mentioning that Rose isn't the same player that KD is. Rose was reliant on his athleticism to make shots, which was completely destroyed by his injuries. KD on the other hand, is primarily a shooter. If anything, this injury maybe takes away his drives to the lane and dunks, but I think his shooting skills will remain intact.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019

You can walk on a torn achilles. I know from experience. You feel a bit shorter :(

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a more plausible option if the injury is what we expect. There's more to it though - I'm not sure KD is any more likely to get a long-term deal next summer, after presumably sitting out a year of basketball activities and entering his age 32 season. Who knows what the FA market will be like next summer and who will have cap room after the moves this summer. Seems to me the priority has to be getting long-term money and KD's team has to do some calculus whether this summer or next summer is the best opportunity to do that.

I think the Warriors will offer him the full five year max - I'm not sure any other team will offer him the 4 year max this summer, just a crazy risk to take. That is a ton of incentive to stay in GS.
The Lakers Kobe signing Kobe to a max after the achilles kind of killed the team for a few years though it was loyal and an amazing thing to do in the moment. Repaying him for 15 years of killing himself for the franchise and always showing up. But if you are a cold ass GM you shouldn't pay an athlete until you know he is worth it.

Thats something that you love to see when they do it, but then shitty sporty fans and talk radio hosts will shit on for the next 5 years if KD comes back and is not the same (he's really only worth 30 million a year if he is KD, not if he is 60% of KD).

_swee_

Oct 26, 2017
Portland OR
I strained my calf 2 months ago and I am just starting to get better. My sister first thought when I told her what happened to me was that I tore my Achilles.
He definitely shouldn't have come back.