• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
KD is probably the type of player where an achilles injury won't destroy his game. Someone who heavily relies on athleticism and quickness, like a Westbrook or Lebron would be affected much more.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
KD should've been looking out for KD instead trying to play on a sprained ankle. He never should've played and part of the blame falls on the GSW for not outright saying he's done for the year.

Edit- Might be the last time KD will be playing as a top 3 player.

Yep, never worth it as an athlete.

Ever.

Oct 26, 2017
Hate to see this happen to anyone. KD is such a rare talent and so much fun to watch even when rooting against him. I feel for the guy, he was getting heat from fans and some media for not being out there for his team. He pushed it and now look. I expect he'll pick up his option for next year with GSW and hopefully recover in time to showcase himself in the playoffs next year to cash in on FA.

Such a shame, hope he gets back to 100%, but it's such a difficult injury to overcome.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
That was an awful decision by both KD and the organization to green light him playing. It was not worth it even if they come back and win. This dude already has his rings go catch that money now...damn shame.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Is it painful? Because he didn't look like he was ever in any pain while on the court. Or does he just have a high pain threshold?
Its painful but initially the reaction is shock.. The shock of your calf muscle no longer being attached to your foot/heel. You can no longer put anything on it if its gone. Just..the worst.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Its painful but initially the reaction is shock.. The shock of your calf muscle no longer being attached to your foot/heel. You can no longer put anything on it if its gone. Just..the worst.
Not necessarily. I had a full rupture and it barely hurt. I could walk as long as I didn't try to move my foot at all. The first couple steps where I tried to push up the ball of my foot, yeah that hurt a lot. But I was fine sort of peg-legging it to my friend's car and from the car into the ER.

That being said, I have seen stories of people for whom it was incredibly painful, so likely I was just a lucky fluke.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
He should not have been allowed to play. I wish the best for Kevin Durant.
I do wonder if TheAthletic article had truth to it cause his teammates are trash if they really hated him for it.

It's like that NFL player who lost a ton of money cause his teammates wanted him to come back so he sign a 1 year deal then broke his leg or something like that

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Not necessarily. I had a full rupture and it barely hurt. I could walk as long as I didn't try to move my foot at all. The first couple steps where I tried to push up the ball of my foot, yeah that hurt a lot. But I was fine sort of peg-legging it to my friend's car and from the car into the ER.

That being said, I have seen stories of people for whom it was incredibly painful, so likely I was just a lucky fluke.
Yeah true, that was just my experience of a full rupture. I went into shock and disbelief, basically my foot was just... gone. Guess everyone is different.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah true, that was just my experience of a full rupture. I went into shock and disbelief, basically my foot was just... gone. Guess everyone is different.
And regardless of the initial experience, all the follow up is a huge pain in the ass. Mine happened around this time of year so that was a great summer in a cast/boot. Hope you're doing well!

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I still feel sick seeing KD go down like that knowing he'll likely never be the same player again. I just don't understand why GSW clears him to play.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hes going to be out a year. At least. Going out like that when you didnt have to, in his prime no less

Seriously fuck GS doctors and management

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Damn that sucks, achillis injuries can be hard to come back from and then there's a good chance you'll never be the same after it.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see the injury putting a stop to KD. He'll want to end on his own terms and will.

I do think this injury was more life threatening to the Warriors. They've had a rough fucking week between that hillbilly investor who shoved Lowry and now whatever went on behind them pushing a broken KD back on the floor. Just like that, this could be the end of a team that dominated the league these past years.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Any reps from MD era talking about whether or not calf strength and unbalanced due to recovering from a calf strain can increase chances of increased force on the Achilles?

Intuitively it feels like they should be connected but my friend is saying his orthopedic surgeon friend is saying a relation between the two injuries is highly unlikely.

Last edited:

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
he looks way too skinny for his size. he shouldve built some muscle for durability i think.

and even though im happy to see warriors' dominance is getting shaken up (makes for a more interesting leauge), i wish kd a speedy recovery

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he looks way too skinny for his size. he shouldve built some muscle for durability i think.

and even though im happy to see warriors' dominance is getting shaken up (makes for a more interesting leauge), i wish kd a speedy recovery
You're more injury prone with more weight. Plus more muscle will negatively affect his shooting. They just brought him back too soon cause they were 3-1 in the finals.

Oct 26, 2017
Any reps from MD era talking about whether or not calf strength and unbalanced due to recovering from a calf strain can increase chances of increased force on the Achilles?

Intuitively it feels like they should be connected but my friend is saying his orthopedic surgeon friend is saying a relation between the two injuries is highly likely.

I'm no doctor, but I've had this injury before. When your calf is compromised, you're putting a lot more stress on your achilles due to compensatory strength from other muscles kicking in. At that point, you're forcing your other muscles to withstand stresses from movements that they're not used to.

You're more injury prone with more weight.

That's not always the case. What matters is how much muscle you have in relation to how strong and developed your tendons are. If you have too much muscle (usually only applicable to steroid users as the drug stimulates incredible muscle growth), the connective tissues such as tendons won't have the time to develop and get stronger because they're typically less metabolically active than muscles.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Is it possible for a player to insist they be put in a game and the dr./team stand back? Or vice versa? As someone who knows nothing about basketball, does the team/dr./player all have to be on the same page?

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KD is a grown man. Why are you all treating him like a child? He wanted to play, he played. Injuries happen.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People getting immediately injured after coming off an injury doesn't "just happen"... He was brought back too soon. Something like that gauging when he should comeback from an injury shouldn't be his decision.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
KD is a grown man. Why are you all treating him like a child? He wanted to play, he played. Injuries happen.

Yeah, this stuff is a bit silly. KD is an adult, and he's got adults surrounding him who are all capable of making decisions. If he was misled or didn't have all the info that would be one thing, but there's no indication that's the case.

Dude wanted to play, he played. Noone wanted this to happen.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
for the Lakers sake, KD needs to take that player option and sit out all of next season to recover. doing this will prevent Klay from being offered a max contract. GSW will be left without KD or Klay next year.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
for the Lakers sake, KD needs to take that player option and sit out all of next season to recover. doing this will prevent Klay from being offered a max contract. GSW will be left without KD or Klay next year.
This is wishful thinking the Warriors are going to offer Klay the max regardless of what KD does or doesn't do.

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
it's definitely more than that. Probably the entire season this late in the game.

He can easily play next season even if fully torn. Recent players who have had that injury have come back within 7-9 months (Cousins is the exception and he was putting up good stats after returning). 7-9 months puts him at January to March.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State

Intuitively it feels like they should be connected but my friend is saying his orthopedic surgeon friend is saying a relation between the two injuries is highly unlikely.
Mi impression is that it was always the Achilles. That would explain the way he had those ice packs arranged.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The Warriors fucked up by having him play. Clearly he wasn't ready and they forced the issue. Of course KD wanted to play, but as an organization you have to protect your players from their bullheadedness.

Oct 26, 2017
What time of recovery are we looking at here?

Looks like he'll be out 9-12 months based on the history of other guys with the same injury (assuming it's torn). His best bet is to pick up his $31.5M option with GSW and hope to be back in time for a playoff run. That would allow him to showcase himself against playoff teams before hitting FA in 2020

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like he'll be out 9-12 months based on the history of other guys with the same injury (assuming it's torn). His best bet is to pick up his $31.5M option with GSW and hope to be back in time for a playoff run. That would allow him to showcase himself against playoff teams before hitting FA in 2020

Recent history shows that the 9 month recovery time is actually slightly longer than the average recovery time. Cousins was the recent outlier. Others have come back between 7-9 months. It may be a worse injury long term than an ACL, but the recovery has been shown to be quicker.

Oct 26, 2017
Recent history shows that the 9 month recovery time is actually slightly longer than the average recovery time. Cousins was the recent outlier. Others have come back between 7-9 months. It may be a worse injury long term than an ACL, but the recovery has been shown to be quicker.

That's good! I was basing that off of the article on 538, but a lot of those examples were from pretty far back.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

He's a grown man, but he's not a doctor, he should never have been cleared to play. I have no doubt that there was pressure on him coming from within the org to suit up, a player like KD can pull you out from a 3-1 hole by himself.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I mean, it sort of worked. They did win the game by a tight margin.

Though come on, wasn't it known that he had an achilles issue before? This was the most likely outcome

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Is it possible for a player to insist they be put in a game and the dr./team stand back? Or vice versa? As someone who knows nothing about basketball, does the team/dr./player all have to be on the same page?

I think a more recent example of that was with Isaiah Thomas a few years back when he was still with the Celtics. He got injured but he was also playing in a contract year so he opted to play through the remainder of the series and put off his surgery.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

The team will follow the team doctor's orders, and a player can't play unless a team doctor clears them.