• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
I do not get the whole point. Rare belongs to MS. If they want to publish a great FPS, they just can make a new Perfect Dark for instance. Why would it absolutely has to be a "Goldeneye 64 remake"?

In my opinion, that says a lot about why Microsoft bought Rare in the first place. They seemed less interested in talents than in the image Rare had. I think that's pretty sad for everyone.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I have always found it pretty astounding that a Goldeneye remake hasn't happened yet and that no parties involved have put enough effort into making it happen. It seems such a crime and almost, dare I say, disrespectful that such an important and influential title in gaming history hasn't been preserved over two decades later. I understand that legal issues are legal issues, but still.

I do not get the whole point. Rare belongs to MS. If they want to publish a great FPS, they just can make a new Perfect Dark for instance. Why would it absolutely has to be a "Goldeneye 64 remake"?

In my opinion, that says a lot about why Microsoft bought Rare in the first place. They seemed less interested in talents than in the image Rare had. I think that's pretty sad for everyone.

What a bizarre viewpoint to have on top of not making any sense at all.

It's not like MS has even released any remake of Goldeneye whatsoever anyway. And even if they have tried or will try to in the future, what's so wrong with that? Perfect Dark has been re-released at least twice now. Why can't a historical title like Goldeneye have the same thing?

Releasing a Goldeneye remake doesn't mean a new Perfect Dark or a new FPS can't be made either.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Dang, that video of the remake shows that the game is basically done. Sad that it probably won't ever be released.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
What a bizarre viewpoint to have on top of not making any sense at all.

It's not like MS has even released any remake of Goldeneye whatsoever anyway. And even if they have tried or will try to in the future, what's so wrong with that? Perfect Dark has been re-released at least twice now. Why can't a historical title like Goldeneye have the same thing?

Releasing a Goldeneye remake doesn't mean a new Perfect Dark or a new FPS can't be made either.
I would personnally be delighted to play this remake. I'm just saying that when you have such a talented team of devloppers, the important is that they can create games and that we can play those games.

Everone knew it would be complicated to release a Goldeneye 64 remake. I'm not saying I'm happy with that, it's just a fact. But it was apparently more important to stay focused on it than to use the talent of Rare in a FPS we can actually play eventually.

You can't find that it's a shame that what seems to be a great game was never released without also noting that they chose to work on something they knew they may not release at the end. Because the memory of Goldeneye 64 had more marketing value than just editing a great FPS for itself.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I would personnally be delighted to play this remake. I'm just saying that when you have such a talented team of devloppers, the important is that they can create games and that we can play those games.

Everone knew it would be complicated to release a Goldeneye 64 remake. I'm not saying I'm happy with that, it's just a fact. But it was apparently more important to stay focused on it than to use the talent of Rare in a FPS we can actually play eventually.

You can't find that it's a shame that what seems to be a great game was never released without also noting that they chose to work on something they knew they may not release at the end. Because the memory of Goldeneye 64 had more marketing value than just editing a great FPS for itself.

You're forgetting that there were tons of games and ideas at Rare that never came to fruition over the years and that they used to have multiple teams working on different projects. You can't make the claim that they chose to work on a remake because it has more marketing value than a new game when they DID in fact work on new games too.

They did release a new PD game with PD Zero, and then there were various prototypes that they had for a new PD game that never came to be after that. Like Perfect Dark Core, which was directed by Chris Seavor.

The Goldeneye remake was not the only FPS they worked on for Microsoft, so it sounds like you're just making baseless assumptions here while forgetting their other attempts at (both released and unreleased) shooters.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
The fact that since PD Zero Rare did not release any new FPS is not an assumption. It was fourteen years ago. I'm not talking about their attempts but about the games we actually had a chance to play. It's kind of funny to blame baseless assumptions when someone just express regrets about what factually happened. I love Rare, they still have tons of creativity, Sea Of Thieves is wonderful. That's exactly why I'm disppointed with what Microsoft made with them.

And I think the problem was that they where not valued enough for their talent. I would LOVE to see their remake of Goldeneye 64. But when they were bought by an ambitious newcomer in the industry with a lot of money, I was like "the good thing is they will be abble to create tons of ambitious games". My point is I did not see Rare as just a remake factory.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think given that the two parties (Nintendo and MS) are much more amicable these days, I could see this actually coming out now.

Also it could run on Switch too, so that makes it's a more "fair" deal on Nintendo's end.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Still breaks my heart we never got to play the remake all those years ago, instead we got that shitty Wii release...

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I still want that damn Goldeneye 360 remake. Whoever has a claim to the damn license needs to bury the axe for everyone's sake and let us have it.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Appreciate all the work you put in op, hopefully they get it done eventually for the new gen of players that missed all the fun.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to this thread i was reminded that a remake for Goldeneye for Wii happened and then was later ported to the 360 with enhanced graphics.. I completely forgot about that game and seemingly so did everyone else as no one ever brings it up. Kind of weird as from what i remember there was hype for it back in 2010.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
The fact that since PD Zero Rare did not release any new FPS is not an assumption. It was fourteen years ago. I'm not talking about their attempts but about the games we actually had a chance to play. It's kind of funny to blame baseless assumptions when someone just express regrets about what factually happened. I love Rare, they still have tons of creativity, Sea Of Thieves is wonderful. That's exactly why I'm disppointed with what Microsoft made with them.

And I think the problem was that they where not valued enough for their talent. I would LOVE to see their remake of Goldeneye 64. But when they were bought by an ambitious newcomer in the industry with a lot of money, I was like "the good thing is they will be abble to create tons of ambitious games". My point is I did not see Rare as just a remake factory.

My point was that the fact that they had other FPS projects in the works shows that the Goldeneye remake didn't exist just because it had more marketing value. They simply had lots of ideas that didn't pan out, including the remake. Maybe "baseless assumption" was a little harsh, but I just thought your line of thinking didn't make any sense when we consider everything else that the studio attempted to do. If we acknowledge that the remake was in development at Rare, then we have to also acknowledge that new things were being developed as well.

As for Microsoft's misuse of Rare, I absolutely don't disagree with that. Lord knows I've criticized their mismanagement of the studio many times over the years, but we can't exactly call Microsoft's Rare as a "remake factory" either. If we're only looking at things that saw the light of day, the only remakes Rare had released under MS were Conker: Live & Reloaded and Jetpac Refuelled.

The irony is that most people have been screaming at Rare during their entire run with MS to retread old ground and make more sequels and remakes lol. Meanwhile Rare has never given a shit and always just did whatever the hell they wanted to (new IPs, niche ideas, focusing on different markets, etc.). I don't think it'd be crazy to say that Sea of Thieves is probably their most ambitious title to date.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thanks to this thread i was reminded that a remake for Goldeneye for Wii happened and then was later ported to the 360 with enhanced graphics.. I completely forgot about that game and seemingly so did everyone else as no one ever brings it up. Kind of weird as from what i remember there was hype for it back in 2010.

The one with Daniel Craig's likeness and somebody else doing Bond's voice, right? Some people from the old place even convinced themselves it was better than N64 Goldeneye. Talk about deluded.

The Wii Goldeneye game was average at best.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The Goldeneye remake was so good on Wii that I don't need the 360 remaster.

We do need more Bond though! He's been away long enough!

edit: People didn't like the Wii release? Man, I thought it was a blast to play.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Honestly this would be one of those games that would look awesome with RTX too. (Like Quake2). Nostalgia + New technology is always fun in my opinion, hoping it can happen one day.

OP
OP
Krvavi Abadas

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
That's really interesting, how did you get into that as a career? And frankly besides Frank Cifaldi and that one guy with the Xbox profile pic I see who posts here (sorry I don't remember your name) I didn't even know that was a job that existed.
Ehhhh, i'm self-employed. Basically. It's not really something you can take as a full or part-time job yet.
The Video Game History Foundation, for example. Is still being run by (paid, but not by much.) volunteers.

Also, the "one guy with the Xbox profile pic" is Andrew Borman . He's a pretty great dude.

Yeah, that's a pretty interesting story. Activision originally wanted Free Radical Design (A company staffed by several devs behind the original game.) to develop it.
"I was certain that was the case," offers Ellis. "Because coincidently just as the LucasArts thing was finishing, a couple of really opportunities came our way. One of them was an acquisition that sounded like it was a serious offer that was going to happen. And another was Activision came to us and asked how would we like to make the next GoldenEye game?"

If that happened, the team would be going back to its roots, working on a sequel to one of the best-loved Nintendo and console first-person shooter games.

"As you can imagine that was something that was very well-received by a lot of the staff, it was going to be a great project to work on. But as we jumped at the opportunity it suddenly disappeared. We never got a real explanation about why it disappeared. I suspect it was to do with rights about which platforms a GoldenEye sequel could be released on."
In the end, Eurocom was the one that picked up development.

I actually own the PS3 re-release, but i haven't really played it yet.

Borman (Other Archivist Guy) on rumours about GE XBLA being on Partnernet.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the tag Krvavi Abadas . Yep, I work for The Strong Museum preserving games. So while there are jobs, they are few and far between, especially those that actually pay. As in Highlander, right now, there can only be one, and it's me hah.

The rumor about Goldeneye on ParterNet is different than what is commonly portrayed, which was backed up in a short back and forth on Twitter. Sure, technically, it may have, possibly (still no evidence) have been on Parternet, but NOT publicly. The Xbox Underground people, back in the day, could pull unlisted content from Parternet, which I know that part is true. I just dont have firsthand confirmation that Goldeneye was one of those games.

I actually learned 2 facts (well, one and a half) about Rare that could blow peoples mind in the past couple weeks. One related to a video that Ive done for a certain former Rare property, and one that, as far as I know, no one knows, but it'll be a while before I can share those.

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking sometime last month how the climate between Nintendo and MS is perfect for a PD/GoldeneEye remaster double pack with Xbox live support.
Edit: for switch.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but this footage was uploaded 3 weeks ago and it is brand new.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to go on a tangent, but I always wondered how RARE lost the rights to the Wizards & Warriors trilogy? I was crushed that those games didn't make it into the Replay set.

Ditto with Battlemaniacs. At least I can understand why no Battletoads/Double Dragon.