• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Artistically speaking I was never that impressed by it, something like Death Stranding is way more striking.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
HZD/Frozen Wilds is still my favourite looking game this gen. I'm sure it could be argued that Death Stranding and Red Dead Redemption 2 are technically more accomplished, but HZD's combination of art and exaggerated hyper realism, not to mention the unbelievably complex and incredible looking machines, just does it for me.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I would've said RDR2 if it wasn't for the shitty HDR implementation and half-assed resolution upgrade for the PS4 Pro. The HDR in Horizon is on a whole another planet compared to RDR2.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The big deal here is that the combat in Horizon Zero Dawn vs machines in the best this gen in open world games.. RDR2 combat is really lackluster and clunky.. graphic wise both game are excellent but the thing about a beautiful open world is being able to have good gameplay on it and Horizon is 10X better than RDR2 on the gameplay department.

You just couldn't help yourself. Can't fight your own nature. Can't fight gravity.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that there is anything in RDR2 that comes to the level of the machines in HZD alone.

Jun 22, 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn was a strange one to me because it had some absolutely spectacular looking areas and then it had some areas that just looked dated and bad. Specifically, some of the snowy ruins had some really low quality textures and piles of rubble that were really low detail all around.

I just think that different parts of the game got greater attention when it came to polishing the visuals.

RDR2 and Gears 5 were both better overall, IMO.

31259A2F75E3F65971EDC6D9C666DAFCEA39AA7C

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Many times, from games both before and after. It has some cool dinosaur designs but isn't exactly the strongest game artistically.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
- Red Dead 2 is close if not better
- Death Stranding is similar but i acutally like the aesthetic of Horizon better
- I played God of War yesterday and it genuinely blew me away
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake will dethrone all

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I dunno if it was my Pro or what, but I had a lot of issues with very close geometry/texture LOD pop-in, especially when turning the camera quickly.

So by that metric alone it was already surpassed by earlier games.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Control with ray tracing is stunning. Overall the game can lack polish in animations and character models though (that said, the underlying technology for those things are superior to both horizon and rdr2 I'd say). Metro Exodus is also absolutely breathtaking with ray tracing. RDR2 beats horizon zero dawn out when it comes to vistas as well, the amount of detail they cram into the distance is stunning, even on console. Horizon is a great use of the PS4 Pro hardware and I prefer its visuals over RDR2 on the Pro (primarily due to how resolution is handled), but it really doesn't compare to games that take advantage of higher quality hardware.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Death Stranding showed some key improvements to the engine, particularly in regards to character modeling and animation, but Horizon's art style still puts it near the top.
Character modelling isn't an engine feature though. It's just as different model.
DS May have had more detailed and more intricately rigged and captured character animation simply because of how much time the game is a cutscene.
Sam doesn't look stellar when you are out in the Normal gameplay world. There are also significant lighting and stylistic differences that make the 2 games looks different.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon has some really bad post processing effects and complete shit fov. Maybe the PC version will look better but RDR2 dunks on it from great heights.

Oct 25, 2017
I think RDR2 bests it, easily, then goes a few better on PC. Metro Exodus and Control with RT enabled are also more impressive, I think. If we're talking about anything you can play, then Star Citizen might just be the single most impressive game out there at the moment.
GG does however, deserve huge praise for releasing a game that looks like Horizon on the PS4. It's still one of my favorite games of the gen, too. Looking forward to both the PC version and the sequel.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
RDR2's fake HDR hurts it. But also that jungle island area in RDR2 the foliage looks kinda bad, compared to the rest of the game. Also caves, there's some spots not as consistent as others.But RDR2 has big bustling cities and great rain.

Could be a toss up but I learn towards Horizon. Mainly for the HDR which is stunning. Also Frozen Wilds is insane.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
In terms of organic animation( animation that doesn't look like cyborgs moving, like 95% of games) Horizon Zero Dawn and Spiderman are the best on this gen and really ahead of anything...

animation is probably the thing that need a lot of improv for next-gen, most of games have bad-robotic animation.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The big deal here is that the combat in Horizon Zero Dawn vs machines in the best this gen in open world games.. RDR2 combat is really lackluster and clunky.. graphic wise both game are excellent but the thing about a beautiful open world is being able to have good gameplay on it and Horizon is 10X better than RDR2 on the gameplay department.
The thread is about graphics though?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I still don't get the praise for RDR2 and the HDR slaps it down many notches for me.

if anyone is interested in technical bits. GDC dropped this some days back.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play Horizon on the Pro, just the base PS4. But I would say RDR2.

From BAD :

TS7w6Kq.gif

fy3ahT4.gif

o5QBCiD.gif

9jnCQJg.gif

lDH7aOM.gif

Hg8T7uM.gif

DsqME6Q.gif

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Did anything ever beat the order 1886?

Yes, that game has not aged particularly well, the terrible borders (aka actually lower resolution), high film grain and aggressive chromatic aberration gives the game a terrible muddy iq, some nice looking outfits, it has some impressive exteriors and interiors but that comes at the expense of the game basically being set in tiny corridor areas, the baked lightning and faked reflections do not look great by today's standards, character rendering is ok but has been surpassed years ago.

But it still has the best mustaches so at least it's got that going for it.

Last edited:

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Panel gaming probably not, But Farpoint in VR impressed me way more because you are actually inside that sci-fi world. Seeing all that visual clarity up close and the DLC ice levels are by far some of the best visuals around in gaming let alone VR land.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Character modelling isn't an engine feature though. It's just as different model.
DS May have had more detailed and more intricately rigged and captured character animation simply because of how much time the game is a cutscene.
Sam doesn't look stellar when you are out in the Normal gameplay world. There are also significant lighting and stylistic differences that make the 2 games
Sam doesn't look stellar when you are out in the Normal gameplay world. There are also significant lighting and stylistic differences that make the 2 games looks different.
You're right. I should have specified more skin shaders and animation rigging.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 on XOX has it beat, I imagine on PC it's even more stunning.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
he still has the most detailed and better animated enemies ever.

also there is no other open world (or linear game) where even third rate(or worst) npc are so detailed, no rdr2, no days gone, no metro exodus, no nothing, you accept a quest from a nobody and he has almost the same details of aloy, sometimes even better.
she is petra, a tertiary character with like 50 lines total in the game?

you have less detailed main character in other triple A games...
maxresdefault.jpg

still rdr2 take the crown for this gen, i don't think that tlou2 or tsushima are gonna surpass rockstar game for this gen.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I'll join the chorus of people mentioning Red Dead 2. It has a far more cohesive look to me, spread over more diverse environments.

I always thought Horizon looked... off. Part of it is overdone post-processing; there are even moments where you speak to NPCs and the blur and lighting consumes their face and body.