• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Between Horizon and Death Stranding, I would say Horizon wins the overal world visuals and Death Stranding wins the characters/face visuals. Red Dead is on a whole other level though. Especially on the Pro/XB1X and PC.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon's trickery in level design is brilliant. The way it loads and de-loads textures is wild.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft. Flight. SIMULATOR

microsoft-flight-simulator.jpg

microsoft_flight_simulator_2020_4.jpg

EFsqlMwX0AA8S_8.jpg

I think this is going to be the best looking game ever made for a while.

Last edited:

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
RDR2 not only looks better but it also enjoys better animations and physics and is more densely packed and populated.

That said, Zero Dawn is a gorgeous game.

Not only.
Red Dead has also less noticeable compromises.
I've put dozen of hours in Red Dead 2 on base PS4 and I barely noticed pop-up.

Horizon is a looker, but it's pretty easy to spot visual sacrificies and tricks.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It is a personal choice and the HDR part are you having a laugh mate?

Alright.... the patched hdr looks fine. Before the patch it simply didn't have it.

I laughed harder at someone not getting the visual praise for red dead.

By most any measure....it's at or near the top in visuals on any system.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
ehh the environments are nice but the people are straight up elder scrolls.

Kojimas team have always excelled at people models

but what do I know I think a lot of cartoon looking games look great as well.

LazyPanda

Oct 30, 2017
Dunno about it being the best on a visual level, but I gotta say its photomode was the most fun I've had with any similar mode in any game. I loved taking shots of Aloy throughout my playthrough. One of the only two games I've ever platinumed. Loved it all the way through and am ready for a sequel. Let this thread be a love thread for HZD.

xp9oSPN.jpg

gyDXn4B.jpg

3BIzFms.jpg

MO6tSyD.jpg

2XAADTa.jpg

jcHne49.jpg

Q3BoLMj.jpg

1jijXYF.jpg

Cx5krAO.jpg

3MKvza4.jpg

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 is gorgeous for its landscape and NPCs, but the most spectacular thing that can happend in it is your horse slamming a trunk.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that game has not aged particularly well, the terrible borders (aka actually lower resolution), high film grain and aggressive chromatic aberration gives the game a terrible muddy iq, some nice looking outfits, it has some impressive exteriors and interiors but that comes at the expense of the game basically being set in tiny corridor areas, the baked lightning and faked reflections do not look great by today's standards, character rendering is ok but has been surpassed years ago.
Isn't The Order still resolving all 1920 pixels wide and whatever pixels visible tall? I always though it was basically 1080p output, but just with black bars, with no upscaling whatsover (so the quality should still match a native 1080p image)

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 does its own thing, just like Horizon does. Horizon has a more colorful art style, while RDR2 goes for realism. RDR2 is more comparable to Death Stranding. Horizon looks wayyyy better in motion than RDR2 does for me though.

horizonzerodawn_201709pood.png

horizonzerodawn_compl1dfvn.png

hzd4p5scp.png

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Technically I would say RDR, DS, but not by much and I would say HZD has better art/art direction than either.

Huh I'd never seen high res pics of of MS: Flight simulator, that looks technically better tahn all of them.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a Red Dead Redemption thread.

Someone else post images and gifs of RDR2 in order to win this argument as I am not going to waste my time doing it.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
We tend to feel that the last thing we play is the best looking one. But I've recently replayed Uncharted 4 and man I don't think anything looks better...

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Depends on what you're judging. Gears 5 looks gorgeous with excellent animation, and it manages to run at a pretty steady 4K and a mostly locked 60fps on a console. There's obviously some post-processing trade-offs for that accomplishment, but resolution and framerate are just as much a part of the visual presentation, as how much stuff you've got on screen.

For open worlds, I'd probably give it to RDR2. HZD is no slouch though - it was by far the prettiest open-world game I'd ever seen up to that point.

Ultimately it's hard to separate out our recency bias though.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 may look better than HZD but Frozen Wilds outdoes RDR2.

That snow is unmatched. Plus the faces are so freaking detailed.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I feel like 95% of the time I sit down and play games mentioned in these threads I end up finding they don't look nearly as good as the screenshots people post. Most recently I was kinda unimpressed with RDR2 on max on PC after seeing the screenshots and hearing about how it's the best looking game ever. There were certain views and vistas that lived up to what people post, but for the most part it just looked like a good looking video game. Maybe I just prefer more stylized looks, IDK.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Many will say RDR2, but I personally disagree. I did not play RDR2 on PC in 4K and highest settings, but on console it remains Horizon for me.

48314801771_df7565d724_o.png

48314635741_2eef396c07_o.png

49427347683_44853ce556_o.png

49522070183_f8c7efe8a8_o.png

49522072163_635bf13fd8_o.png

48314597916_5efbefc0ec_o.png

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i started up horizon again today, and i really cant agree with RDR2 looking better tbh.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
It's visually impressive and the art style is incredible. I do think Red Dead 2 on the whole looks better though. The sacrifices are hidden better.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like 95% of the time I sit down and play games mentioned in these threads I end up finding they don't look nearly as good as the screenshots people post. Most recently I was kinda unimpressed with RDR2 on max on PC after seeing the screenshots and hearing about how it's the best looking game ever. There were certain views and vistas that lived up to what people post, but for the most part it just looked like a good looking video game. Maybe I just prefer more stylized looks, IDK.
Not to argue you against opinion/how you took it in, but I consider Red Dead 2 to be "stylized." It mimics American pastoral paintings.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
God of War looks better IMHO, but that's not an open-world game. So it's debatable which one is the true graphics king.

Red Dead 2 and Death Stranding are both very close, better in some aspects, worse in others. But considering how much action at once goes down in Horizon sometimes with those large ass dinosaurs I think it's still the best looking and most spectacular of those three.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
lol can you even interact with anything from the environment in this game? Everything looks static.

How are you supposed to interact with the environment in a flight sim?

Of course its static, its rendering the world, should the mountains be doing backflips?

It has moving cars, boats and other planes, i'm not sure what else a flight sim needs.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Alright.... the patched hdr looks fine. Before the patch it simply didn't have it.

I laughed harder at someone not getting the visual praise for red dead.

By most any measure....it's at or near the top in visuals on any system.

It's okay to laugh at me for that 😃

Like of course RDR2 is a looker but levels above? Far away? Miles apart? I've seen people say this about RDR2 and I cannot agree. No one game in existence is knocking it out of the park in everything that it is attempting graphically.
Not Horizon, not RDR2 and not Death Stranding, they all have their negatives for them to be the best looking ever on unbeatable. That's how I feel anyway, but there are obviously games that don't match up with the best on each system.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've compared directly RDR2 (on PS4), Death Stranding, Days Gone, and Horizon Zero Dawn on my PS4 Pro. I did it a while ago just out of curiosity

Fidelity wise, they're all pretty comparable but I'd probably say Days Gone has the lead, at least in terms of the overall crispness and detail of its environments.. It's only slight, though, and small enough that I can understand if someone disagrees.

Either way, HZD remains high tier, and it's hard to say anyone definitively dethroned it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 pisses on it and everything else from great height.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That environment is only seen in a cutscene. It may be real-time, but it still was not playable in comparison to Horizon or RDR2, where everything you see is also explorable.
Exactly. I always kinda laugh when people post cinematics from a game. Cinematics are not in-game. They're not rendering the actual world you're playing in at all.