• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif
*sweating profusely*

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
149812-games-news-this-is-how-much-better-red-dead-redemption-2-will-look-on-pc-image1-m9e6fqnsbb.jpg

Red Dead 2's not only beautiful, but has a very impressive draw distance. Horizon doesn't have views like this.

Red Dead 2's also teeming with wildlife that looks and behaves incredibly well. Rabbits, deer, wild horses, coyotes, turkeys, etc. Outside of the small groups of Robo Dinos you deal with, I don't recall much wildlife in HZD. That adds to the overall beauty as well.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
That's just her character model when she's a child. What's your point?

That particular character model (and overall art direction, unless we consider an scenario where they screwed up the model/scene even when basing it on good artwork /reference material) doesn't hold up, at least compared with the rest of the game.

RDR2 usually has far better models in all protagonist and close up scenes.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think RDR2 might look better on a technical level, but that seems easier when you're pulling from real world stuff. I prefer Horizon because not only is it technically impressive, but it also artistically more creative.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Honestly, the Division 1, a 2016 game, looks pretty much on par with what came years later. This gen has looked awesome for years now.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I personally loved the world of GoW more aesthetically, but seeing as HZD was open, it was probably more technically impressive. At this point the comparison doesn't really matter - so many games look outrageously good.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
If we are including artstyle and HDR, probably not.
DS had key technical improvements but the natural cold artstyle isn't appealing.
If we remove HDR? I would say RDR 2. The fog implementation and how it reacts to light give some awesome moments.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I hope we can all agree that the horses in rdr2 are the best looking horses yet, the way their muscles realistically ripple under the skin and the absurd range of realistic animation they have is really impressive.

giphy.gif

There will always be times when the riding looks a bit goofy due to the horses being controlled like vehicles and not behaving like a living intelligent (relatively) animal, but that's a hard thing to get right in a video game, shadow of the colossus came close but rdr opted for you having more direct control and i think it works really well, the riding looks and feels right.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That particular character model (and overall art direction, unless we consider an scenario where they screwed up the model/scene even when basing it on good artwork /reference material) doesn't hold up, at least compared with the rest of the game.

RDR2 usually has far better models in all protagonist and close up scenes.
171113_FW_Q3_Challenge_Aratak.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

horizon-character-art-sylens-ingame-4.jpg

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Was Horizon Zero Dawn ever bested on a visual level?

No. Not even at the end of the next generation will we see a new title that matches HZD in terms of visual fidelity. I'm just not sure how this is even a legit question because if you look back at any solid game from last gen they cannot compete.
Going to be a very VERY VERY SAD next gen then.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The graphics might be better on RDR2 but HZD is 100% much nicer to look at.

Also, wait for Tsushima. And props to Order 1886 for looking as incredible as it did back then.

hasan114

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only game for me that even came close was RDR2. While playing it I was more impressed by Horizon than RDR2 because it was such a huge jump from anything I'd seen from open world games of this sort previously.