• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it looked insanely good in 2017. it looks marginally less insanely good now

won't be broad as to say it "aged" but if i played it for the first time today i wouldn't be as wow'd 1:1

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The best looking games this generation for me are Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy XV, God of War, and Death Stranding. Oh and Final Fantasy VII Remake of course and maybe Ghost of Tsushima.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen some of the takes in this forum? It's not uncommon for some people here to post incredibly silly takes deadass seriously, so always make sure to mention your joke take is a joke.
Lol I wish I didn't have to. But I feel ya, there definitely are some stupid hot takes. Like it wouldn't be surprising if someone made some click bait thread saying that BotW looked visually better than HZD
Oh, I have seen plenty BOTW fans claim exactly that, especially back in that year. ;)
Haha yea, it was a joke in reference to all the crazy threads from that release year

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone on Pro 4K played on OLED and its amazing HDR can't look phenomenal at times.
It looks so much better than RDR2 on the Pro which blurry, and HDR is poor.

Having said that RDR2 is still the most impressive game visually. It just on the Pro where it can't compete with proper 4K games with HDR.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lwl0guiv0jyz.gif

UmGeddv.gif

YtHJsTE.gif
Never saw that last gif. Beautiful.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 did really good but I still think Horizon is slightly better overall since the IQ is a whole load cleaner. RDR2 has a lot more impressive tech though, and when it's all working in combination it actually wins easily. It's just so much of it isnt immediately visible and you kind have to take your time to soak it all in sometimes.

They're both very close if anything. I'd probably say RDR2 with better IQ across the board and if leas of the time was spent just travelling the same scenery.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The artstyle of Horizon is meant to be slightly hyperrealistic, like a nature documentary where every picture is perfect. The best part is that this artstyle or "cinematography" actually has a story purpose and reason for existing.
Since an AI Mother Nature created and maintained everything, of course it looks picturesque no matter where you go.

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon didn't hold up that well, even at release. It's inconsistent in a few areas, looking insanely good in some places and weirdly bad in others. The illusion was broken for me a few times very early into the game. First, kid Aloy was hideous, like, to the point of bothering me a little bit, then when I started playing the way Aloy interacted with the environment was pretty poor, like trying to jump over a rock as high as your waist and sliding back everytime like it was made of oil, water sucked and NPCs often looked distractingly bad.
But then again the robots, the hair, the vegetation and all that looked great, so it pisses me off.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really love Horizon's art style

It is unique in the sense that it is obviously trying to be realistic but it is also extremely stylized

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of open World size + visuals details - AC Origins, AC Odyssey, RDR2, GR Wildlands, Death Stranding, The Division 2.

Ubisoft get completely ignored which is criminal.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Character faces up close in Horizon looked pretty bad tbh. It looks great from a distance but doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
On the subject of HZD vs RDR2 I will just say this.

HZD goes for a fast paced visual spectacle while RDR2 goes for slow paced visual splendor.

Both are impressive but go for different goals.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem imo. Many problems the game had aside it's still by far the most impressive looking game of this generation to me

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
RDR2 except for character models.

Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. Character models were hands-down the worst looking part of HZD - and one of the most convincing things in RDR2.

HZD's art style does a lot to enhance its overall visuals, but it is rough in places.

That said, for what is effectively a first attempt at this style and genre, it was stunning - and I echo those who have said this bodes very well for the sequel.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. Character models were hands-down the worst looking part of HZD - and one of the most convincing things in RDR2.

HZD's art style does a lot to enhance its overall visuals, but it is rough in places.

That said, for what is effectively a first attempt at this style and genre, it was stunning - and I echo those who have said this bodes very well for the sequel.
lol. You need to get your eyes checked. Character models does not mean facial animation.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Always have to keep in mind HZD's scale is much smaller than most of the big open world games. Can't deny that the colour palette is gorgeous at times along with the beautiful motion blur and machine designs.

Overall I'd says RDR 2 or TW3 on PC with the right mods when it comes to open world games. The Order, Plague's Tale and Uncharted 4 for linear games. Gears 5 and Hellblade aren't even in the conversation.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 did really good but I still think Horizon is slightly better overall since the IQ is a whole load cleaner. RDR2 has a lot more impressive tech though, and when it's all working in combination it actually wins easily. It's just so much of it isnt immediately visible and you kind have to take your time to soak it all in sometimes.

They're both very close if anything. I'd probably say RDR2 with better IQ across the board and if leas of the time was spent just travelling the same scenery.
RDR2 is native 4K on the X though...

OT, RDR2 is the better looking game. I'm actually surprised that people itt are claiming H:ZD is more impressive on a technical level considering just how much RDR2 actually does moment to moment. Whether that be the ai, the physics, weather effects, all foliage actually reacting to the player, the animations, etc.

Feb 10, 2018
RDR2 beats it soundly, visually

ZD was quite inconsistent visually had some really rough textures here and there, some facial animation was not that good.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is native 4K on the X though...

OT, RDR2 is the better looking game. I'm actually surprised that people itt are claiming H:ZD is more impressive on a technical level considering just how much RDR2 actually does moment to moment. Whether that be the ai, the physics, weather effects, all foliage actually reacting to the player, the animations, etc.
It is but the AA solution they use on the rage engine is a little blurry to me. Not as bad as it was in GTAV admittidly though. Their HDR implementation is still broken too unfortunately.

They're definitely pushing the boundaries elsewhere in the tech though.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Ghost of Tsushima already has prettier horses

8Q0icuS.gif

Child Aloy is only in the first 5 or 10 minutes of the game. I'm sure you can see why your argument is weird.

I'm not making any arguments. I showed you a clear sample of a "not-great" character model/asset in the game with best visuals. You can ignore it but that's the first thing I saw when y started the game, and it made an impression on me.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When actually playing the game, Hoirzon failed to impress me for some reason. Maybe it was the wack image quality on base PS4 or the constant, close-to-camera fade in/pop in, but in general the environments felt cramped and limited. It sure makes for pretty screenshots.

RDR2 is on another level.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
When actually playing the game, Hoirzon failed to impress me for some reason. Maybe it was the wack image quality on base PS4 or the constant, close-to-camera fade in/pop in, but in general the environments felt cramped and limited. It sure makes for pretty screenshots.

RDR2 is on another level.

That's mostly the poor FoV which is a common issue on console open world games. The Pro version also has checkerboard artifacts in motion on Pro if you use the 4K mode.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What? I played on base PS4 and the picture quality is absolutely pristine. Like, unbelievably so. You may knock it for other things but the game is absolutely clean and sharp as a pin on base PS4.

Maybe there's something wrong with your PS4 or TV settings.
I don't know, I remember a lot of dithering. It certainly doesn't look anything like the screenshots people always plaster all over this website. The most impressive part of Horizon are the highly detailed NPC models...but then they start speaking.

The graphics might be better on RDR2 but HZD is 100% much nicer to look at.

I really disagree. RDR2's environmental art direction is basically unrivaled. Everywhere you point the camera looks like some kind of pastoral painting. There's a real sense that every square inch of that world was hand crafted. There's nothing in any other game comparable to the vistas you get in RDR2.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Don't they use some sort of procedural technique to generate terrain in HZD? Pretty clear the scope and general environment detail variety is not even close to something like RDR 2.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I don't know, I remember a lot of dithering. It certainly doesn't look anything like the screenshots people always plaster all over this website. The most/only impressive part of Horizon are the highly detailed NPC models...but then they start speaking.
OK, I thought you meant the game had jaggies, shimmering or looked blurry.

Object dithering is actually tied to how certain assets are rendered before a finished frame buffer.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon is interesting. It's a pretty stunning game overall, with next-level colors and HDR, and environments with an unparalleled density of foliage. It was also improved in ways with the expansion Frozen Wilds, with much improved snow and a better level of NPC animation.

It also has some areas it needs to improve big time, where some other open world games are much better than it with, like water, foliage interaction, and far-distance LOD.

I'm VERY curious whether they will improve on these for the PC release, and if that will subsequently get a next-gen patch for PS4 when running on PS5.